Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

50 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Sh*it, one of my most talented players it's injured for 5 to 6 months. Will his attributes decline much? And if they do, can he still recover them and still improve?

I'm scared that his physicals might not be the same and then will be hard to improve.

caputo injury.jpg

Bad injuries can cause attributes to decline.  But he's only 20, Professional and has great Determination so shouldn't be hard to get him improving again once fit (assuming he does lose anything in the first place).

And don't swerve the swear filter please ;).

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, quick question regarding the team instruction for tempo. Will increasing tempo also increase the amount of risk players assume when passing the ball around? My personal assumption is yes due to having less time to assess options when on the ball but wanted some clarification from those more savvy with the tactical side and team instructions. 

24 minutes ago, BarstoolProphet said:

Hi all, quick question regarding the team instruction for tempo. Will increasing tempo also increase the amount of risk players assume when passing the ball around? My personal assumption is yes due to having less time to assess options when on the ball but wanted some clarification from those more savvy with the tactical side and team instructions. 

With less time on the ball to assess options, more passes will go astray, so effectively the passes will be more risky, yes.

4 hours ago, Elitee said:

Is there a video or anything showing how to analyze a game so I can see problems happening and fix them before I concede, or to change something and help me score?

Cleon and other top advisers in the forum have made loads. Look through some past thread titles.

1 hour ago, Armistice said:

Hi, can someone tell me what's the meaning of the number "65" in this picture, just before "Currently operating on a leading..."?

Leeds_United___Scouting_Centre.png

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

65% Scouted. So the information is not definite.

No, he's 75% scouted ("Knowledge Level") and agree the info won't be definite.

That 65 is a number (scored out of 100 I believe) which the scout assigns the player to help you quickly identify whether the scout recommends the player or not.  So it kind of assigns the star rating a numeric value.

9 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

65% Scouted. So the information is not definite.

Hate to disagree bt it's :

75% scouted knowledge.

the 65 is the scouts rating of the player - how he will fit into your team. Rated out of 100. If you hover your mouse over it you get a brief breakdown of the player in your squad.

Scout ratings used to be shown using the 5-star graphic, but in FM18 they now give us a score out of 100 - the comment next to it is probably more revealing though.

If I'm attempting to develop a tactic that aims to create space centrally, so my #10 has time and space to do his own thing, would it be counter-intuitive to play a narrow formation? 

15 hours ago, jc577 said:

If I'm attempting to develop a tactic that aims to create space centrally, so my #10 has time and space to do his own thing, would it be counter-intuitive to play a narrow formation? 

Would depend on he Roles/Duties of players around him. Width in the formation would help. A narrow formation but with players running into channels or sitting wider/deeper would also create space for him, with shorter passing options.

EDIT: I remember seeing a YouTube (I think one of Rashidi's) on Exploiting the Golden zone - see if you can find it.

Edited by Snorks

On 04/06/2018 at 03:10, BarstoolProphet said:

Yes, lower tempo gives players time for a first touch before passing - higher tempo and they are more likely to attempt a first time pass. 

Wonderful to watch a high tempo passing game, but you need very high technical and passing attributes, as well as vision and anticipation - they need to know what they are going to do with the ball before it gets to them.

Pass into Space has more of an effect with your players when attacking, encourages diagonal balls in behind the opposition for players to run onto.

Retain Possession is a bit more global, essentially shorter, safer, lower tempo, and helps when you a re defending as there is less risk involved.

Yes, they do kind of work against each other in terms of risk, but are not exact opposites. 

Edited by Snorks

When a player is making a decision what is the order or between PPM, PI and TI. I heard Rashidi say in a Bustthenet video that a PPM will always overwrite a PI - is that correct? If I have a midfielder who likes to shoot from long distance is it pointless adding the 'shoot less often' PI to him? Where do TIs fall within this? As far as I can tell if I tell the side to 'be more direct' when passing anyone with a PI to pass shorter will still pass comparatively short (against the rest of the team) but still more direct compared to the standard default setting.

24 minutes ago, JPKD said:

When a player is making a decision what is the order or between PPM, PI and TI. I heard Rashidi say in a Bustthenet video that a PPM will always overwrite a PI - is that correct? If I have a midfielder who likes to shoot from long distance is it pointless adding the 'shoot less often' PI to him? Where do TIs fall within this? As far as I can tell if I tell the side to 'be more direct' when passing anyone with a PI to pass shorter will still pass comparatively short (against the rest of the team) but still more direct compared to the standard default setting.

As far as I understand it, PPMs override the PIs which, in turn, override the TIs so:

1: PPM

2: Player Instructions

3: Team Instructions

2 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Hello,

How do you guys proceed when a first team player returns from a long term injury? Do you play him for a few minutes in the first games, gradually, until he reach an acceptable match sharpness?

Everyone will have a different way of doing things - personally, I wait until the pre-match fitness test says they can hack 45 minutes, then I start them and sub them at half time. Then I just keep listening to that until they're fully fit. If he comes back just before an international break though, I'll schedule a few friendlies for my u21s / u18s and give him the "45 minutes until match fit" option so they can start building him up before my next fixtures.  

4 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Hello,

How do you guys proceed when a first team player returns from a long term injury? Do you play him for a few minutes in the first games, gradually, until he reach an acceptable match sharpness?

2 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Everyone will have a different way of doing things - personally, I wait until the pre-match fitness test says they can hack 45 minutes, then I start them and sub them at half time. Then I just keep listening to that until they're fully fit. If he comes back just before an international break though, I'll schedule a few friendlies for my u21s / u18s and give him the "45 minutes until match fit" option so they can start building him up before my next fixtures.  

You can make first team players available for your reserves team for different amounts of time which can be a nice way of easing players back into match fitness.  Or even set up a couple of easy mid-week friendlies (no need to play your entire first team of course, just pick the players you want to participate, even if they're youngsters).

Lower match fitness can lead to a higher chance of injury so ease them back in, even if that means playing them in the reserves and/or in friendlies for some matches.

If it was a serious injury and I need the player fit as soon as possible, I'll usually arrange 2-3 friendly matches for my B/U18 team and make him available. Firstly for 45 min, then 60 and then 90. By then he should have some half-decent match fitness, so I can play him for 60 or so minutes in the first team, before subbing him off.

Playing FM17

Does anyone know if the different team mentalities change settings 'under the hood', affecting how a team plays beyond what we can see on the team instructions screen?

For example, I know that if you switch from playing contain to overload, the tempo the team plays at will increase, as will width etc. But are there any other differences or changes that aren't represented on the TI screen?

55 minutes ago, peter_b said:

Playing FM17

Does anyone know if the different team mentalities change settings 'under the hood', affecting how a team plays beyond what we can see on the team instructions screen?

For example, I know that if you switch from playing contain to overload, the tempo the team plays at will increase, as will width etc. But are there any other differences or changes that aren't represented on the TI screen?

Check the player mentality bars in the player instructions screen for any role/duty you select.  They'll change as you change mentality which can help you understand how forward thinking (or not) each of your players will be.

Overall, Mentality is like a risk barometer.  Your players will take more risks as you increase Mentality, less as you decrease it.

I’m trying to settle for a long term formation in my save, and that’s also for further understand the game and how a system works. The two options are very similar, a 4-1-2-3 and a 4-3-3 with three CMs. I’m just wondering if a CM-D in the middle of the 4-3-3 can do the job just as good as the DM in the 4-1-2-3, especially against formations with AMCs.

Edited by Armistice

4 hours ago, Armistice said:

I’m trying to settle for a long term formation in my save, and that’s also for further understand the game and how a system works. The two options are very similar, a 4-1-2-3 and a 4-3-3 with three CMs. I’m just wondering if a CM-D in the middle of the 4-3-3 can do the job just as good as the DM in the 4-1-2-3, especially against formations with AMCs.

Is the 4-3-3 played with wide forwards or narrow? I have both formations in my tactic slots and this is how I use them:

Generally, the 4-1-2-3 is a 'Holding' tactic, I use it the most at kick off. It is my go-to for a balanced approach to the game. I use a DLP-D in the DM slot, but that's where one of my Key Players is most comfortable. The DM here acts as an extra shield in front of the defence, but as playmaker also sets off attacks with his passing.

To Control the game, and keep possession , higher up the pitch, I simply push him into the CM slot with the two others, in a line of three. hence the 4-3-3 Wide formation. He remains a DLP-D with the other two being one each of either Mez-S/A, BBM-S, AP-S / A or simple CM with duty selected depending on the game situation.

Comparing the stats between the two, the DLP average position is pretty similar on defend duty. However, I am sure this would vary further with different role/duty combinations. I am simply asking him to do the same job, just a bit higher up the pitch (about the radius of the centre circle further up).

So, depending on what you hope to achieve with the tactic, yes, the CM on Defend can do the job of a DM but you will need to be very aware of what the opponents are doing to attack you. Playing against a team with an AMC for example, the CM-D might lose him easier that a DM - you need to be aware of the space in front of the defence between the lines. 

So if you are looking at him as a defender in the tactic, I would use a DM, if he more a creator/controller with defensive expectations then I would look at the CM strata.

Hope that helps

Regarding training. I have read this somewhere, but I can't find it again.

Is it something like, for players under 20 training is more important than matches, but when they turn 21 matches are far more important?

2 hours ago, Mr_Demus said:

Is it something like, for players under 20 training is more important than matches, but when they turn 21 matches are far more important?

Yes. Training is more important than matches for U-18 players. Once they turn 18 you should worry about having them play as much as possible.

3 hours ago, Mr_Demus said:

53 minutes ago, kingjericho said:

Yes. Training is more important than matches for U-18 players. Once they turn 18 you should worry about having them play as much as possible.

Just to add to kingjericho's answer, playing matches does indeed become more important after age 18, however try to aim to give players match time at the right level for them.  That "right level" could be anywhere from the youth teams to the first team squad or anything in between (even on loan) so try to place your best prospects at least in the right place.

I've often wondered about a hidden attribute for coaches called "hardness of training".

I've just restarted a save where all the variable I can control are the same. However, whereas in the last save I had few problems with injuries, this time I'm being crippled with training ground injuries. Could the hidden attribute be the cause, with coaches pushing my young players too hard?

2 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I've often wondered about a hidden attribute for coaches called "hardness of training".

I've just restarted a save where all the variable I can control are the same. However, whereas in the last save I had few problems with injuries, this time I'm being crippled with training ground injuries. Could the hidden attribute be the cause, with coaches pushing my young players too hard?

Could be it,don't believe too much of hidden attributes.Its the uncertainty of Scouts/Coaches judgement.It could be true or false.Dont risk your player's leg on something that's uncertain.

2 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

24 minutes ago, M4nager1a said:

Could be it,don't believe too much of hidden attributes.Its the uncertainty of Scouts/Coaches judgement.It could be true or false.Dont risk your player's leg on something that's uncertain.

Yup it could have something to do with it but it could be lots of other things too.

Even if everything including the variables you can control are the same, there can still be a randomness factor (or "luck" if you prefer) which means no two saves will be the same.  Obviously that randomness can reduce as players, coaches and facilities improve, but it'll always be there.  And you (phnom) are managing in the lower tiers.

Sounds like your luck has run out in this restart :(.

Just now, herne79 said:

Yup it could have something to do with it but it could be lots of other things too.

Even if everything including the variables you can control are the same, there can still be a randomness factor (or "luck" if you prefer) which means no two saves will be the same.  Obviously that randomness can reduce as players, coaches and facilities improve, but it'll always be there.  And you (phnom) are managing in the lower tiers.

Sounds like your luck has run out in this restart :(.

Certainly does! I'm actually happy about that since normally success comes way too easily at this level and i do like a proper challenge. I've only got a squad of 24 with low stamina and amateur training sessions so it requires a lot of putting square pegs in round holes!

4 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Certainly does! I'm actually happy about that since normally success comes way too easily at this level and i do like a proper challenge. I've only got a squad of 24 with low stamina and amateur training sessions so it requires a lot of putting square pegs in round holes!

That's the spirit!

Now put a goalie into the striker's round hole (which sounds much dirtier than it's meant to).

I don’t know if this is normal or not, but I periodically - maybe 2-3x a month, on a day where none of my teams played yesterday or plays today (I do this in the early morning window), just sort my entire squad (all levels, senior, u23, u18) by injury risk. Anyone high risk or higher gets a day off. I especially make a point of doing this during match congested times.

My sports scientist says my injuries are typically 20-25% below expected (3rd season of this save). Now, how that impacts development I don’t know, but it seems like my players are still developing very well.

I usually give a day off after match (checkbox) too. I set the combination of team training and match tactics slider to the highest spot where the sports scientist says it won’t cause more injuries than expected.

Edited by Joey Numbaz

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I've got a question. In my Ajax save I've got a player that's been immense for me this season (he's pretty much single-handedly carried my team to the Champion League semis), and he's my best player by far (my scouts rate him 4.5 stars and say he can still improve a bit as he's 22). United have swooped in and offered 120M+ for him, and I'm unsure what to do. At what point would you sell players, even if they're the backbone of your team? As I'm doing a youth challenge, I'll probably be facing this problem a lot, so I'm interested what other people do in this situation? 

Is he worth that much? Are they overpaying for him?Do you have a replacement coming through?

120mil + extras is hard to turn down.

With Ajax, I would probably sell to be honest, execially if that is the first offer - you have an  opportunity to bump the price up a bit more here.

Edited by Snorks

4 hours ago, Snorks said:

Is he worth that much? Are they overpaying for him?Do you have a replacement coming through?

120mil + extras is hard to turn down.

With Ajax, I would probably sell to be honest, execially if that is the first offer - you have an  opportunity to bump the price up a bit more here.

Yeah, thanks for the advice :) I did end up selling him - I have another, younger regen coming through who should be able to fill his shoes in a while. I watched Moneyball a while ago, and I'm determined to not get too attached to these sorts of players and remain calculated with my transfers (and ship players off when they hit max value) :D

I hope this question is appropriate for this topic. I have a 15 year-old that I would like to tutor, but no matter who I try to link him up with, he refuses to be tutored. I have read on this forum that it is merely down to his controversy attribute, but seeing as he is medie-friendly in his media handling style, this attribute can't be too high, right? His personality is balanced, which propably isn't ideal, but that is awfully tough to do anything about as I can't let him learn from anyone.

I have tried matching him with both a player on the fringe of the first team, but in the core social group, and a first teamer who is in the core social group and who is highly influencial. Yet, he refuses still.

Any advice on what to do?

H5LD0tm.png

What are you hoping to achieve with the tutoring?

Does he have any favoured personnel within the squad?

Who are the players that appear when you look at the tutoring options?

TBH I have never known a player refuse to be tutored, but it might just be a waiting game until he is ready.

Generally though, a player he admires, a player who plays the same position is all I can suggest.

I'm not as far through my Milan save as you are, so can't suggest specific players, but from my current squad, Cutrone could be good as a tutor for this guy if you still have him or Silva if he is still around - I am guessing Bacca and Lapadula have gone by now?

Which roles act as so-called 'ball magnets'? I know all the Playmakers and Target Man does how about a Ball Playing Defender, Trequartistas, Enganches and False 9s?

On 18/06/2018 at 18:36, Adzke said:

I hope this question is appropriate for this topic. I have a 15 year-old that I would like to tutor, but no matter who I try to link him up with, he refuses to be tutored. I have read on this forum that it is merely down to his controversy attribute, but seeing as he is medie-friendly in his media handling style, this attribute can't be too high, right? His personality is balanced, which propably isn't ideal, but that is awfully tough to do anything about as I can't let him learn from anyone.

I have tried matching him with both a player on the fringe of the first team, but in the core social group, and a first teamer who is in the core social group and who is highly influencial. Yet, he refuses still.

Any advice on what to do?

H5LD0tm.png

Perhaps the problem is that:

-The player haven't adapted to the team,even the most influential core group takes time to influence new players.The quickest is around 6 months,that's if you have Team Cohesion training

-Too large of skill gap makes Tutoring fail(I recommend that the skill gap must not exceed 2 stars) 

-I don't think Media handling style affects tutoring,Media handling is a wayan individual interacts in front of public/squad(I think so) 

I'll suggest you to wait it out at least 1½ season before starting to tutor.Play him frequently to maximize Squad personality exposure so he will easily blend in.Cheers! :)

Ah,don't forget Team Cohesion training.It helps alot and also Improves squad Teamwork :D

On 16/06/2018 at 22:08, lfc7 said:

Is there a way to stop conceding close range finishes into bottom corner. Seems to be the main type of goal I concede 😩

Tight mark helps,set your best marking players to mark players(set it in set piece instructor) 

2 hours ago, M4nager1a said:

Too large of skill gap makes Tutoring fail(I recommend that the skill gap must not exceed 2 stars) 

This has no impact on tutoring.

I don't think Media handling style affects tutoring,Media handling is a wayan individual interacts in front of public/squad(I think so)

Yes it does.  Tutoring affects all hidden attributes (and Determination) which can impact on personality and media handling.

I'll suggest you to wait it out at least 1½ season before starting to tutor.

There is no need to wait to start tutoring.

@Adzke  Unfortunately tutoring is never guaranteed.  If you have problems with a young player who refuses to be tutored, that can indicate he has a really poor part to his personality.  In these situations sometimes you need to get him tutored multiple times in order to fully modify his personality.  The first tutor is always the hardest to find in this situation.  All you can really do is find someone - anyone - that he'll accept as a tutor but even then that may not be possible.  Occasionally you do get a really bad egg and there's just nothing you can do about it.

@herne79 Thanks for clearing that up!

I managed to pair him up with Domenico Berardi, even though he didn't want to in the first place. Berardi's personality isn't the best (fairly ambitious), but he does have 14 in determination, which is a lot better than Chiappini's 10!

So I hope it will work out well. Chiappini had two gold stars in CA, when he was spawned, and I hope this will further his development a bit!

Cheers, guys!

1 minute ago, Adzke said:

@herne79 Thanks for clearing that up!

I managed to pair him up with Domenico Berardi, even though he didn't want to in the first place. Berardi's personality isn't the best (fairly ambitious), but he does have 14 in determination, which is a lot better than Chiappini's 10!

So I hope it will work out well. Chiappini had two gold stars in CA, when he was spawned, and I hope this will further his development a bit!

Cheers, guys!

Fingers crossed :thup:.  Players like that can be incredibly difficult to tutor and even if you do get them started (good job on finding Berardi) it may not fully complete.  Make a note of his starting personality, media handling and Determination.  A screen shot of his coach report might also be useful.  That way you can track where he ends up after tutoring compared to his starting point.  Even if tutoring "fails" you may still get a small change which might help getting his second tutor sorted.

Prepare yourself for a long hard slog though.

4 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Fingers crossed :thup:.  Players like that can be incredibly difficult to tutor and even if you do get them started (good job on finding Berardi) it may not fully complete.  Make a note of his starting personality, media handling and Determination.  A screen shot of his coach report might also be useful.  That way you can track where he ends up after tutoring compared to his starting point.  Even if tutoring "fails" you may still get a small change which might help getting his second tutor sorted.

Prepare yourself for a long hard slog though.

How much can the coach report be trusted, though? It doesn't highlight any negative parts of his character, and like you said, something is obviously wrong in that department.