Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

9 hours ago, kingjericho said:

Fluidity means how much space you want between the sectors (defence, midfield, attack). So if you want to pressure as a high block, fluid/very fluid can be a good option. The thing you need to be careful about very fluid is mentality, because all players will play according to your mentality, e.g. if you go 'attacking' even your centre backs will play with high risk.

This setup seems very... narrow. Who plays in wide areas? You have the IWB and the IF cutting in.

Actually I prefer two wingers with Support or Attack Duty I made a mistake sorry :) But my question is remaining still...

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, kingjericho said:

Is there a list of what attributes are favoured in the general training focus? (fitness, tactical, ball control, etc)

Yup, in the FAQs linked in the thread titled "Please Read" pinned to the top of the forum.

59 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Yup, in the FAQs linked in the thread titled "Please Read" pinned to the top of the forum.

I never read that in much detail as I should :D so if I set a general focus to 'physical' that means a boost in those attributes, correct? All the other attributes are still trained as well.

24 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Hello,

If I use Hold Position PI for a BWM on a support duty, it basically means that we will be really on a defend dut? Tks

Not quite as a support duty plays slightly further forward than a defend duty. It just means they will be more likely to hold their starting position more regular. 

2 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Thanks, that makes sense, the fact that they'll  higher up due to mentality.

One more thing, who normally  drops deeper, DLF or F9? tks

F9 drops deepest, the DLF even with a support duty attacks the box without the ball, the F9 not so much.

My question [simple version] - Is a Complete Forward a role that draws the ball?

My question [long version] - I'm aware that playmaker roles (DLP, Regista, AP, Trequartista, RPM) tend to function as ball magnets. I believe that Target Man and Wide Target Man also draw the ball to them more often than other roles in the winger / striker positions? In which case, would Complete Forward (in-game description "combining...the strength and power of a Target Man") also draw the ball to him akin to a TM? 

Edited by zlatanera

7 hours ago, zlatanera said:

My question [simple version] - Is a Complete Forward a role that draws the ball?0

My question [long version] - I'm aware that playmaker roles (DLP, Regista, AP, Trequartista, RPM) tend to function as ball magnets. I believe that Target Man and Wide Target Man also draw the ball to them more often than other roles in the winger / striker positions? In which case, would Complete Forward (in-game description "combining...the strength and power of a Target Man") also draw the ball to him akin to a TM? 

No.

Whats the most effective way to stop your FBs chasing wingers who cut in from the wing into mid pitch and exposing your flank? Even on low closing down settings they seem to chase after guys like a dog after a tennis ball, anyone found anyway to at least minimise this behaviour?

I'm just trying to work out why certain players are doing certain things consistently in my tactic which is contrary to how I want them to play. If someone in the know can answer these couple of questions it would be appreciated:

Does the stats "Decisions" effect the number of individual player instructions the player will follow effectively?

For example if a player has a decision stat of 10, and one individual player instruction, will he be more effective in carrying out the one instruction than if he had four different individual player instructions?

Also, am I right in the following?

Player Traits will override Player Instructions which in turn overrides Team Instructions. Where does Overall Instructions fit in? From memory it's additional, but just want that confirmed. 

56 minutes ago, Taipan said:

I'm just trying to work out why certain players are doing certain things consistently in my tactic which is contrary to how I want them to play. If someone in the know can answer these couple of questions it would be appreciated:

Does the stats "Decisions" effect the number of individual player instructions the player will follow effectively?

For example if a player has a decision stat of 10, and one individual player instruction, will he be more effective in carrying out the one instruction than if he had four different individual player instructions?

Also, am I right in the following?

Player Traits will override Player Instructions which in turn overrides Team Instructions. Where does Overall Instructions fit in? From memory it's additional, but just want that confirmed. 

Teamwork determines how closely a player follows the instructions set. Higher the stat more likely they are to stick to the instructions given. The lower it is, the less likely they'll follow how you've set them up in regards to instructions. Decision is the ability to pick what the player believes is the best choice option from all available options. How many options he sees is down to vision.

Player traits are tendencies, so the player will try those regardless of what instructions are set.

Thanks Cleon

Just so I have this right in my head, if two players have the same Passing/Teamwork /Decision/Vision stats,  Player 1 has one only  individual instruction say "Fewer Risky Passes" , while Player 2 has two  individual instructions, say "Fewer Risky Passes" & "Dribble less", they both will have the same reduced chance of passing a risky pass. Correct? 

Edited by Taipan

34 minutes ago, Taipan said:

Thanks Cleon

Just so I have this right in my head, if two players have the same Passing/Teamwork /Decision/Vision stats,  Player 1 has one only  individual instruction say "Fewer Risky Passes" , while Player 2 has two  individual instructions, say "Fewer Risky Passes" & "Dribble less", they both will have the same reduced chance of passing a risky pass. Correct? 

It's more complex than that (because of role/duty too) but for simplicity, I know what you're getting at and the answer would be yeah they would :)

Hi all,

Question: Imagine you have a player that you'll either usim as Poacher or AF, would you give a AF role to him  if he has average/below average dribbling? In this case I'm talking about a player with 12 for dribbling in the Spanish league.

Thank you.

Edited by mikcheck

Le 20/05/2018 à 10:56, mikcheck a dit :

Hi all,

Question: Imagine you have a player that you'll either usim as Poacher or AF, would you give a AF role to him  if he has average/below average dribbling? In this case I'm talking about a player with 12 for dribbling in the Spanish league.

Thank you.

I play Icardi (who's rated 12 in dribbling) as AF and I have no issue with it.

I have my question too, how can I view a heatmap of my player's position for a certain period of time of a game ?

For example, can I have it only for the second half of a game ?

On 20/05/2018 at 02:56, mikcheck said:

Hi all,

Thank you.

If he isn't that good at dribbling, AF does ask the player to dribble more so it might be better to use him as a poacher, yes. Depends on quality of players around you as well.

On 20/05/2018 at 10:56, mikcheck said:

Hi all,

Thank you.

It really depends on what you want from him and how the team is set up. If you are looking for him to make runs out wide and put crosses into the box along with scoring goals or run at defenders a lot than you want to play him as an advanced forward and might find that his dribbling isn't always as effective (although there is more to dribbling than just his technical skill). If you want him to focus his efforts on being a goal threat and keep things simple during build up play you want to play him as a poacher. I'd personally prefer to play him as a poacher but there are systems where I would play him as an advanced forward despite his relatively low crossing and dribbling skills.

Thank you all.

@CRN711 yes it is possible, I dont know how is it in FM18, but in FM17  when you are seeing the analysis, you have a bar below the field with 2 circles  that can be moved. That allow you to see the analysis of any specific period of the game.

Edited by mikcheck

Hi all.  "This player can successfully be retrained as a central midfielder."

Were I to act on the advice I only know how to select a specific role e.g.  Advanced PlayMaker.  Can I choose 're-train in CM role' (general - all of 'em)?

1 minute ago, Mactier said:

Were I to act on the advice I only know how to select a specific role e.g.  Advanced PlayMaker.  Can I choose 're-train in CM role' (general - all of 'em)?

Choose a role in the central midfielder section. So, Central Midfielder --> Advanced Playmaker. That'll train him according to the attributes for that role, but also for the new position.

Gotta loan out a young goalie; development-wise, better to send him to an inactive league with higher reputation, or an active league with lower reputation? Same facilities and proposed squad status. [FM16]

Is it possible to try and get Real Madrid's 3 man midfield in this game? Defensive midfielder and 2 playmakers ahead. Seems whatever I try, the 2 CM's stand right near each other instead of either side of the pitch. Kroos playing on the left side with Modric on the right side however in the game they both stand together. 

Edited by Elitee

Is there any way to get wingers to play narrow? Particularly early on in the build up play they seem to stay wider than the opposition full back, regardless of role, team width etc. Ideally I'd like them to just stay in the half space between full back and centre back

4 hours ago, 91427 said:

Is there any way to get wingers to play narrow? Particularly early on in the build up play they seem to stay wider than the opposition full back, regardless of role, team width etc. Ideally I'd like them to just stay in the half space between full back and centre back

Have you tried a player with the PPM Move into Channels?

21 hours ago, Elitee said:

Is it possible to try and get Real Madrid's 3 man midfield in this game? Defensive midfielder and 2 playmakers ahead. Seems whatever I try, the 2 CM's stand right near each other instead of either side of the pitch. Kroos playing on the left side with Modric on the right side however in the game they both stand together. 

Try playing them in a straight three midfield. Kroos DLP(s), Casemiro CM(d) and Modric RP(s) could work.

1 hour ago, mikcheck said:

Hello guys,

If a player has 2 star CA and 4 star PA but already with 22 y old, can he still reach full potential?

Thanks.

He's only 22, so of course he still could.

Just now, Kuchiki said:

If I remember rightly players see less of an improvement at the age of 24+ is this (still) the case?

It'll likely be slower, but not stopped. But this is in general, of course.

On 25/05/2018 at 17:16, Mactier said:

Choose the role that covers the most attributes - I think in this case it would be Central Midfielder.

On 26/05/2018 at 11:22, Pakito said:

Gotta loan out a young goalie; development-wise, better to send him to an inactive league with higher reputation, or an active league with lower reputation? Same facilities and proposed squad status. [FM16]

Inactve leagues don;t play out full fixtures so your Goalie wont get any match ratings and won;t develop at all.

See what level he is recommended for in the Reports screen and get him playing as Key Player or at least First Teamer at that level, not below, in a playable league. 

23 hours ago, 91427 said:

If you have them set as Winger then they will naturally tend to the wide area anyway, you CAN give them PIs to sit narrower or try them as IFs. Theire is a 'Cuts Inside From....' PPM you can train as well but that takes time.

13 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

It'll likely be slower, but not stopped. But this is in general, of course.

Yep it will slow down, and different attributes will change - younger they are you can improve the physicals, the older they get the mentals become more of an influence.

I read somewhere, and I am not repeating this as gospel, that if they had not reached HALF their potential by the time they were 21/22 then they probably won;t reach full potential.

Hello,

How do you normally set up your crosses? Does it makes sense to use whipped or low crosses if I have fast strikers?  With whipped crosses the ball goes with some distance from the grass but with strength and pace, right?

Tks.

1 minute ago, mikcheck said:

Hello,

How do you normally set up your crosses? Does it makes sense to use whipped or low crosses if I have fast strikers?  With whipped crosses the ball goes with some distance from the grass but with strength and pace, right?

Tks.

This would depend on a lot of things.

Floated crosses are floated in, so everyone has a chance to get under it. You're doing this because your striker can out muscle and out jump the defenders.

Whipped crosses are whipped in at pace, so very little chance of getting into position (and harder to defend against) but they're also fast, so your strikers' heading accuracy needs to be good. The crosses are also the most inaccurate. Often used when the box is packed.

Low crosses are low. You're hoping for tap-ins here, but it's obviously going to be useless if the box is packed as the first defender will have an easy clearance to make.

14 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Hello,

Tks.

If you are looking to utilise the pace of the striker 'Hit Early Crosses' , 'Pass Into Space' 'Low Crosses' are  all worth experimenting with.

4 hours ago, DiStru_ said:

What systems are BWMs usually used in? I never really used it, I usually prefer a simple CM-D, if I'm after a defensively minded central midfielder.

Anything really.  I've played them in a 442, a 4231, a 4123 and a 352.  They're probably less suited to very passive systems however due to their high aggression.  It's how the role balances with the rest of your team and whether or not you have the right player for the role that's important :thup:.

2 hours ago, Artin said:

what is the movement of the wide midfielder position?

inside forward drifts inside.

winger drifts outside.

is the wide midfielder in the middle of the two?

Kind of in between the two and relies more on the player's own attributes/PPMs and your other tactical selections.  It's a kind of blank slate role which you can either tailor for your system and player or leave it alone and let the player get on with it.

eg., perhaps you have a wide player whose dribbling attribute is low.  So instead of giving him a role which tells him to dribble lots (such as the winger or IF roles) give him the WM role instead and tailor the PIs (if necessary).  If you have a quick flick through this thread you'll see my thought process behind why I used 2 x WM instead of wingers/IFs in my 4-4-2.

21 hours ago, DiStru_ said:

What systems are BWMs usually used in? I never really used it, I usually prefer a simple CM-D, if I'm after a defensively minded central midfielder.

In my current save I'm playing 4123DM wide.   Injuries forced me to play my DC/DM who claim to fame is a BWM.  So he got a run in midfield as a job filler as a midfielder - BWM-su.  He was brilliant.  And still is up in midfield never to return to the backline again.  Cause he's got good vision he's a thorn in the opposition's side with never-ending through balls setting up an inside forward or a winger to run onto the ball and tuck it away.  He's now my favorite player.

ld.png

Edited by Mactier

Sh*it, one of my most talented players it's injured for 5 to 6 months. Will his attributes decline much? And if they do, can he still recover them and still improve?

I'm scared that his physicals might not be the same and then will be hard to improve.

caputo injury.jpg