Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, kingjericho said:

Is there a way to prevent my Ass Man from putting match preparation on maximum? I assign to him match training, and even if I (previously) set the percentage of match training to minimum, he always pushes it back up to 50%.

Control it yourself.

On 06/04/2018 at 15:20, Carlos92 said:

Is there a way to ensure that your fullbacks keep their width when defending crosses? I keep conceding from crosses to the back post due to fullbacks tucking in instead of just staying with their man. The only plus point is that AI teams seem to have the same problem

Deeper defensive lines and lower mentalities encourage your players to drop deeper and narrower. Increasing one of those could help. Another option is to push your fullbacks to the WB position to be slightly higher. Using higher defensive line also helps to cut out passes to the wide players to prevent crossing chances. This of course comes with a risk of leaving too much space in behind.

That being said, the floating crosses to the back post from the sideline are really a match engine issue. Players running at a horrible angle playing an extremely accurate cross to a runner on the backpost while turning, and the keeper sitting on his line doing nothing while the cross lands five meters away from goal? Right...

I've done a little bit of searching, but can't seem to find any answers towards this....

Training - how does it work? I seem to remember in earlier versions you went for 5 star coaches, and then your players would realise their potential. How does it work in 18? I don't think i've bothered with training in the last couple of versions.

7 minutes ago, cheltenhams_biggest_fan said:

I've done a little bit of searching, but can't seem to find any answers towards this....

Training - how does it work? I seem to remember in earlier versions you went for 5 star coaches, and then your players would realise their potential. How does it work in 18? I don't think i've bothered with training in the last couple of versions.

You can still (and should) search for 5 star coaches, if you add a 'rating' column in staff search.

Training no longer has schedules like it used to, nowadays you set a general focus to the entire squad, and then select training focus for each player. My way to go is to assign each player a preferred focus on the role they are used in the tactic.

8 minutes ago, kingjericho said:

You can still (and should) search for 5 star coaches, if you add a 'rating' column in staff search.

Training no longer has schedules like it used to, nowadays you set a general focus to the entire squad, and then select training focus for each player. My way to go is to assign each player a preferred focus on the role they are used in the tactic.

Cool - I normally get my assistant manger to handle as I haven't looked into it.

Will take a look when on next :)

40 minutes ago, cheltenhams_biggest_fan said:

Cool - I normally get my assistant manger to handle as I haven't looked into it.

Will take a look when on next :)

There are big threads in here regarding Training, but just to give you a very brief outlook of how I usually do things:

- Pre season: set team training to 'team cohesion' and match preparation to 'tactics', putting the slider on maximum match prep. until the tactic is fluid;

- After pre season and with a fluid tactic: team training to 'balanced' and match preparation on 'teamwork' or I let the Ass Man handle this (he will adapt match preparation depending on the opposition's strengths and weaknesses)

For individual training, you can assign all training tasks to the best coaches with a simple click for the Ass Man to assign training to the coaches.

How do I get wingers and lm/rms to stay wide as the build up progresses up the pitch? It seems like the only way to get real width (where the wide players stay more than a little wider than the opposition full backs) is impossible without using full backs or wings backs yourself. I'd very much like to use IWBs in my tactic but things just become too congested and narrow.

I don't have access to my laptop at the minute so I can't show examples of my own but it's more or less demonstrated by this screenshot from an Ozil post here a couple years ago. The wide players aren't incredibly narrow but I'd really like them to be 5-10 yards nearer the touch line to drag the opposition full backs wider and open up space in the channels. Is this possible?

5RDcnfz.png

I've probably asked something along these lines before, but don't think I got a response. In my current save, I have an 18 year old DM newgen who is developing better than expected. A 4/5 star prospect and he's already getting matches. Use him as a DLP and a lot of the key attributes for the position are 12 or higher, with several at 15+. He's developed into my primary backup at that position - he's getting a higher average rating than my first choice DLP (in easier matches, mind) and his pass completion is close to 90%. He's doing well enough that I'm considering dumping the first choice guy in the summer to free up wages. 

This young DM has one glaring weakness - Bravery is 2. Hasn't moved and I don't think there are any roles that can be used to target that, at least that I could find. He plays as a DLP-Support next to a SV-S in a 4-2-3-1 deep-deep with a press. There is a CM-A in front of him so he's really the only defensive shield, although both wingers are wide mids so they tuck in a bit. Thus far I haven't seen anything that concerns me to a huge degree. He actually has more interceptions than the other DLP. But I'm curious if I should be expecting him to cause problems at some point....?

7 hours ago, Bigpapa42 said:

This young DM has one glaring weakness - Bravery is 2. Hasn't moved and I don't think there are any roles that can be used to target that, at least that I could find. He plays as a DLP-Support next to a SV-S in a 4-2-3-1 deep-deep with a press. There is a CM-A in front of him so he's really the only defensive shield, although both wingers are wide mids so they tuck in a bit. Thus far I haven't seen anything that concerns me to a huge degree. He actually has more interceptions than the other DLP. But I'm curious if I should be expecting him to cause problems at some point....?

Like with all attributes, the fact that he has Bravery 2 can lead to some situations where he will be hesitant to challenge for some balls, either via tackle or header. What I'd take from it, though, is that if he has good attributes for everything else, then he will still perform at a good level. With good tackling, antecipation, and positioning, many times he'll have a good chance of winning/intercepting a ball, so he can use other attributes to make up for his lack of bravery. Although if you see him directly marking a player with high aggression and bravery that can lead to him standing off more.

Not exactly tactical but I can't find the right place to ask - is there a set date when certain nations (Serbia is the one I'm interested) join the EU? Right now I have both Rodrygo and Dusan Vlahovic for Fiorentina and I can't register either because I don't actually have any nEU players I want to sell abroad (one on a two year loan abroad with a mandatory fee, two at the club are my first choice left back and 2nd choice centre back). I remember from some of my longer saves on previous games that Serbia does join, but I can't remember when. 

Pre-season :  I find I am not manager of my friendly pre-season games.  No involvement in the games.   What box do I tick or un-tick to put me back in charge and managing my pre-season friendlies?

1 hour ago, Mactier said:

Pre-season :  I find I am not manager of my friendly pre-season games.  No involvement in the games.   What box do I tick or un-tick to put me back in charge and managing my pre-season friendlies?

Staff -> Responsibilities -> First Team -> Manages Friendly Matches -> select yourself -> Confirm

23 hours ago, LeonardSnart said:

Is AP(A) - DLP(D) - DLP(S) midfield trio good for 4-3-3 possesion fluid style tactic?

I would replace your Defensive DLP with a BWM,it'll provide defensive stability and an extra man in build up phase(if you play build up style) 

Edited by M4nager1a

6 hours ago, M4nager1a said:

I would replace your Defensive DLP with a BWM,it'll provide defensive stability and an extra man in build up phase(if you play build up style) 

How is a BWM going to provide defensive stability when he has max closing down and chases all over the field? And I do not see how that role will provide more support in the build up either. 

14 hours ago, yonko said:

How is a BWM going to provide defensive stability when he has max closing down and chases all over the field? And I do not see how that role will provide more support in the build up either. 

I'd go for a more simple DM/d, or perhaps a Half Back.

On 4/11/2018 at 17:39, LeonardSnart said:

Is AP(A) - DLP(D) - DLP(S) midfield trio good for 4-3-3 possesion fluid style tactic?

You don't need to use playmakers to create a possession tactic.  How good it is depends on the rest of the tactic and the actual players you use, if they're 3 true playmakers you might be a bit soft in midfield and struggle to get the ball back or cover your defence.

15 hours ago, yonko said:

A BWM isn't some mindless idiot running around like a headless chicken.  Yes he closes down more than others and gets stuck in to get the ball back, he then keeps things simple and takes fewer risks with the ball, so he should feed the better creative players rather than losing possession trying something risky himself.

1 hour ago, summatsupeer said:

You don't need to use playmakers to create a possession tactic.  How good it is depends on the rest of the tactic and the actual players you use, if they're 3 true playmakers you might be a bit soft in midfield and struggle to get the ball back or cover your defence.

A BWM isn't some mindless idiot running around like a headless chicken.  Yes he closes down more than others and gets stuck in to get the ball back, he then keeps things simple and takes fewer risks with the ball, so he should feed the better creative players rather than losing possession trying something risky himself.

BWM is not more defensively stable than DLP-D and it doesn't get more involved in the build up at all. It was a bad/misinformed advice. 

DM-D or Anchor Man are more stable roles defensively and more recommendable.

19 minutes ago, yonko said:

BWM is not more defensively stable than DLP-D and it doesn't get more involved in the build up at all. It was a bad/misinformed advice. 

No man,it rly makes a difference if there's a single BWM in midfield.The BWM just not need to suck at pressing and good teamwork with CB,after that the defence shall not have serious problem defending

17 hours ago, yonko said:

Mark tighter & Hold position should solve it up.And BWM didn't chase all over the field,it's only near his area or abit far out.

Although it's not a creative power,it adds up an extra man which works effectively to counter opponents with strikers closing down CB's.Then BWM will lay it down to a playmaker and hell breaks loose

Edited by M4nager1a

CLUB DNA - benchmarks for attributes.  Vids & blogs cover briefly Attribute DNA and quote reference points for elite players (EPL etc) but how do I establish what's an acceptable DNA number for Vanarama.  The guides mention minimums of 12 or 13 attribute scores.   Lucky to have a few blokes with just one attribute that high down in the vanarama leagues.

3 hours ago, yonko said:

Thats your opinion that defensively stable means players stay in position rather than closing down.  Saying a BWM chases all over the pitch is bad/misinformed advice. I never mentioned build up play but really, does a 3rd playmaker in CM add to it when there's already 2 close by?  I agree DM-D or Anchor Man are two of many other good options.

1 hour ago, LeonardSnart said:

I will consider Anchor Man, Defensive Midfielder, Halfback and BWM, but I really like DLP(D) like Busi, Alonso or Weigl, so I would to leave this. So maybe should I change DLP(S) to BBM?

You might want to just make a thread a post your full tactic, you will just get peoples personal preference and speculation since we only know 3 positions in your tactic.  You need to build combinations between players so can't you look at defence / midfield / attack in isolation.

But generically yes that sounds like a fairly standard midfield trio, 1 holding (DLP-D), 1 runner (BBM-S) and 1 creator (AP).  How well they perform will obviously depend on the players used and the roles+duties around them.

1 hour ago, summatsupeer said:

Thats your opinion that defensively stable means players stay in position rather than closing down.  Saying a BWM chases all over the pitch is bad/misinformed advice. I never mentioned build up play but really, does a 3rd playmaker in CM add to it when there's already 2 close by?  I agree DM-D or Anchor Man are two of many other good options.

How is a BWM defensively stable option then? Explain. What is "defensively stable" anyway? Your definition, that is.

Besides DM-D and Anchor, what are the many other options more defensively stable than DLP-D? Are there really "many" other options?

No, you didn't say anything about the build up but that was part of the initial question and advice I replied to. 

4 hours ago, M4nager1a said:

No man,it rly makes a difference if there's a single BWM in midfield.The BWM just not need to suck at pressing and good teamwork with CB,after that the defence shall not have serious problem defending

Mark tighter & Hold position should solve it up.And BWM didn't chase all over the field,it's only near his area or abit far out.

Although it's not a creative power,it adds up an extra man which works effectively to counter opponents with strikers closing down CB's.Then BWM will lay it down to a playmaker and hell breaks loose

What would "mark tighter" and "hold position" solve? What do these option do? Do you know? BWM closes down only near his area and bit far out? It has the most aggressive closing down of any role. And you can't change it. If that you sole DM role and he's meant to protect the defensive, how is that stable?

How does it add an extra man? The other roles don't do that? What is the movement off the ball compared to say a DLP or HB?

3 hours ago, Mactier said:

CLUB DNA - benchmarks for attributes.  Vids & blogs cover briefly Attribute DNA and quote reference points for elite players (EPL etc) but how do I establish what's an acceptable DNA number for Vanarama.  The guides mention minimums of 12 or 13 attribute scores.   Lucky to have a few blokes with just one attribute that high down in the vanarama leagues.

That's where your judgement comes into play.  Have a look at your squad and use the reports available in the side menu to compare how your players stack up to the rest of your division.

27 minutes ago, yonko said:

How is a BWM defensively stable option then? Explain. What is "defensively stable" anyway? Your definition, that is.

Besides DM-D and Anchor, what are the many other options more defensively stable than DLP-D? Are there really "many" other options?

No, you didn't say anything about the build up but that was part of the initial question and advice I replied to. 

Your the one who said "defensively stable", I wouldn't use that phrase.  Applying pressure on opponents comes down to risk/reward, i'd be happy for him to try and win the ball back sooner, potentially stopping an attack before it develops.

There's lots of viable combinations for a midfield 3 but it depends whats going on around them.  Don't be pedantic about it when we only know 3 suggest roles in a planned tactic so no actual reported issues.

5 hours ago, yonko said:

What would "mark tighter" and "hold position" solve? What do these option do? Do you know? BWM closes down only near his area and bit far out? It has the most aggressive closing down of any role. And you can't change it. If that you sole DM role and he's meant to protect the defensive, how is that stable?

How does it add an extra man? The other roles don't do that? What is the movement off the ball compared to say a DLP or HB?

Mark tighter and hold position will limit him from unnecessary Roaming.And I didn't say that he protect the defensive solely,he works with CB to help steal the possesion.Ofc the aggressive traits is unchangeable.

Shall be set defensively,BWM will lay deeper Anchorman-like and provide a passing option for the GK.Given the aggressiveness and typical good physical trait,BWM wouldn't lose the ball easily.This is what I saw from my BWM plays from 8 years playing for my club.Adios.

Hello guys.

When you are looking for an attacking fullback very important for your tactic, either a wingback or a complete wingback, which attributes your look for?  Do you favour attacking attributes over defensive?

In this case i'm looking for a  CWB on the right side, but for me is always difficult to decide the best attributes for a fullback when looking for one.

Thanks.

fo.jpg

2 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Hello guys.

When you are looking for an attacking fullback very important for your tactic, either a wingback or a complete wingback, which attributes your look for?  Do you favour attacking attributes over defensive?

In this case i'm looking for a  CWB on the right side, but for me is always difficult to decide the best attributes for a fullback when looking for one.

I always make a distinction between a full back and wing back. When attack-minded, FB tend to attack the space with forward runs and crosses from the byline. The WB is more prone to do these movements not only in space, but also with the ball on his feet, so I'd look for a good dribbling attribute.

For the CWB role there's the extra demand of roaming from position. Ideally for this I'd go for a Marcelo/Dani Alves type of player, which means someone who is very capable of making a difference in the final third, and also has competency in defence.

18 hours ago, summatsupeer said:

Your the one who said "defensively stable", I wouldn't use that phrase.  Applying pressure on opponents comes down to risk/reward, i'd be happy for him to try and win the ball back sooner, potentially stopping an attack before it develops.

There's lots of viable combinations for a midfield 3 but it depends whats going on around them.  Don't be pedantic about it when we only know 3 suggest roles in a planned tactic so no actual reported issues.

Check again who used "defensively stable" term first. Was it me or the user I was replying to? If you can't keep up with it, don't participate. Pedantic? Don't use such big words, homeboy. You made some big statements and now you're deflecting. Why did you agree with me that DM-D and Anchor are better options than BWM? And I still want to hear about the many other options......

13 hours ago, M4nager1a said:

Mark tighter and hold position will limit him from unnecessary Roaming.And I didn't say that he protect the defensive solely,he works with CB to help steal the possesion.Ofc the aggressive traits is unchangeable.

Shall be set defensively,BWM will lay deeper Anchorman-like and provide a passing option for the GK.Given the aggressiveness and typical good physical trait,BWM wouldn't lose the ball easily.This is what I saw from my BWM plays from 8 years playing for my club.Adios.

Mark tighter has nothing to do with preventing your player from roaming. BWM doesn't roam at all, anyway. He closes down aggressively. And it can't be changed. If he's the sole player in front of the defense to help the CBs, then that is very risky and he will leave the space to close down per his role. BWM is nothing like Anchorman. And we are talking about the nature of the role, not specific player with strong attributes.

11 hours ago, herne79 said:

Cut out the bickering please.

This isn't a discussion thread, it's for simple questions and answers.  Please start a new thread for discussion topics.

Copy that

22 hours ago, kingjericho said:

I always make a distinction between a full back and wing back. When attack-minded, FB tend to attack the space with forward runs and crosses from the byline. The WB is more prone to do these movements not only in space, but also with the ball on his feet, so I'd look for a good dribbling attribute.

For the CWB role there's the extra demand of roaming from position. Ideally for this I'd go for a Marcelo/Dani Alves type of player, which means someone who is very capable of making a difference in the final third, and also has competency in defence.

Thanks!

Hi guys!

Can anyone  explain some things in 'Staff Profile'?

For example, here is a FC Groningen and Barcelona managers:

93Idaca.png

5ojAKep.png

I understand prefered formation, closing down (stand-off, mixed, pressing), passing style (passing, mixed, direct), and marking (man, zonal, mixed).

All this things reflects what tactical style prefer this manager. I dont understand 2 things: Coaching style and Playing mentality. Take a look on this 2 managers, their coaching style: Attacking and Playing mentality: very cautious. How it possible?

If Playing mentality it's a strategy what this manager prefer, what is a Coaching style?

In my manager profile i also have this: coaching style - attacking

BELa8K9.png

but i never played in attacking football, with high tempo or with top-heavy formations. My formation is deep 4-4-2 with 2 dms. (p.s: everything else is correct here, i play with standart mentality with everything in TI on: mixed).

why i want it to know? i dont have time/desire to watch how my opponent plays, but just a quick glance on the manager profile gives me a good representation of their tactic. It helps me a lot. 

Thank you.

Both Managers will probably play a possession based game, as Barca do in general, so the build up play is considered and slower, shorter passing, focusing on retaining possession = Cautious Playing style

Both Manager have high Attacking Stat = Coaching style = Attacking.

Your profile will be based on what the game see's you as playing. Even though i have a few saves with standard mentality, as I've won a lot, and create a lot of chances, it shows a attacking. Mixed passing\marking you've already stated.

Your profile will also depend on the settings you set on your profile, so if your attacking stats are high you'll show as attacking as your coaching style.

I don't understand how a DLF is supposed to create space for other players to attack. When I watch games, he's usually infront of the opposition's CBs, but the they are not closing him down when he's in possession. At best a DM might close him down which is useless because there's no space for my IF to attack behind the opposition defence. It might free one of my attacking midfielders from the marking, but what's the point when you can't actually pull the back four/five out of shape?

Edited by Armistice

40 minutes ago, Armistice said:

I don't understand how a DLF is supposed to create space for other players to attack. When I watch games, he's usually infront of the opposition's CBs, but the they are not closing him down when he's in possession. At best a DM might close him down which is useless because there's no space for my IF to attack behind the opposition defence. It might free one of my attacking midfielders from the marking, but what's the point when you can't actually pull the back four/five out of shape?

After your recent outbursts where you take a swing at this forum and it's apparent lack of contributors, you're still asking questions and expect a reply?  Good luck with that.

Not to mention your foul mouthed tirade in General Discussion for which you were extremely lucky you weren't given some time off.  If that had been in this forum you would have been.

Try apologising first.

5 minutes ago, kingjericho said:

From what age do players benefit more from matches than from training? I know one of the Mods said young players develop more with training than matches, when does that change?

I believe i read something that was after they made 18.

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

After your recent outbursts where you take a swing at this forum and it's apparent lack of contributors, you're still asking questions and expect a reply?  Good luck with that.

Not to mention your foul mouthed tirade in General Discussion for which you were extremely lucky you weren't given some time off.  If that had been in this forum you would have been.

Try apologising first.

I'm sorry for my outbursts. I didn't take a swing at the lack of contributors, I said that it feels less active than last year for example and by that I mean people asking for advises etc, it wasn't a dig at creators like you or Cleon.

Edited by Armistice

10 hours ago, kingjericho said:

From what age do players benefit more from matches than from training? I know one of the Mods said young players develop more with training than matches, when does that change?

10 hours ago, Keyzer Soze said:

I believe i read something that was after they made 18.

If I remember rightly: <18 training is all that matters, 18-21 they're equally important then 21+ they've just got to get games. 

7 hours ago, zlatanera said:

If I remember rightly: <18 training is all that matters, 18-21 they're equally important then 21+ they've just got to get games. 

Not quite.

Training and playing in matches at a suitable level remain relevant regardless of age.  However, up until age 18 Training takes precedence for player development and after this age match time takes precedence.

@Keyzer Soze @kingjericho

3 hours ago, herne79 said:

Not quite.

Training and playing in matches at a suitable level remain relevant regardless of age.  However, up until age 18 Training takes precedence for player development and after this age match time takes precedence.

@Keyzer Soze @kingjericho

Thanks. I asked this because I have a 2* CA player in my U19 team, and although he could already be useful in my first squad I loaned him to a team where he's doing very well. In terms of ability he hasn't developed that much and thay may also be due to the club's poor facilities.