Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

13 minutes ago, Harryhi said:

I’ve read all the threads about watching out for top heavy formations like the 4231, but just one question.. I have been playing around with Liverpool a bit, and come up against Southampton, they played the 4231, why does the ai play that formation so freely if it’s a dodgy system? I only even won when I switched to a flat 451, and played direct passing. It’s so weird cos Southampton set up the way I’d expect Liverpool to set up and I set up the way Southampton might set up. 

Who says it's a dodgy system? You read Cleon's thread?

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys I admit I’m a bit of a newbie but my question is my assistant keeps advising me to raise my attacking or support duties to somewhere in the region of 4-5...or something similar.i can’t find where to do this.. can’t find info in manual so thought I’d ask for help on here..thanks for any help please

I am currently managing a semi-professional team which I have never done before. In a typical week I can only train on two days; one of which is taken up by match preparation.

I have set up position/role training for each player and also an additional focus. All of my players have a medium training workload but the ones that complain about 'the high amount of extra work they have been asked to do' have their additional focus intensity level dropped from average to light.  The problem I have is that the majority of them are still unhappy with the high amount of extra work they have been asked to do. Is it worth me ditching the additional focus given that my training facilities and coaches are all terrible and so I probably won't see any improvement anyway. My 6 influential players are already against me because of my low reputation and so I don't want to further damage morale.

My next point is about a custom training view that I stole from @Rashidi. I'm a little annoyed that I can't seem to find a column for 'additional focus intensity' to toggle between light, average, and heavy. I just want to check that it definitely isn't there as it would make life a little easier.

In the custom views that I've got, I have a column for 'workload' which was in the 'training schedule' section, and a column for 'training load' which was in the 'risk assessment' section. I just want to check on the meaning of these. I'm guessing 'workload' is pulled from team training screen where is says overall workload in the bottom right corner, but the 'training load' seems to be medium for all players despite some of them having a light additional focus intensity and some having medium focus intensity. Is this a cumulative workload, like 'match load' is, as this would make sense as they have all just returned from a winter break so I suppose they haven't had time to feel the affects of a lighter or heavier schedule yet.

Finally, what are the consequences of going from semi-professional to professional. I obviously know that I will get more days on the training field. It won't affect any of my contracts as all my players are on full time contracts anyway. Is there any additional cost associated, etc.

Sorry for the long post. I didn't think it was worth staring a whole new thread as hopefully a lot of the answers might only need one sentence.

In FM18, for all of the Set Piece roles like Near Post and Go Forward on Throw ins and Attacking corners, etc. - Why is Marking and important attribute on offense? This is a change from previous editions of FM. Is this an error, or a change in the engine? Seems very strange to me.

5a47b73f547fd_ScreenShot2017-12-30at10_56_17AM.thumb.png.25179fc9378d0add3538610710da4f54.png 

19 minutes ago, Joey Numbaz said:

In FM18, for all of the Set Piece roles like Near Post and Go Forward on Throw ins and Attacking corners, etc. - Why is Marking and important attribute on offense? This is a change from previous editions of FM. Is this an error, or a change in the engine? Seems very strange to me.

5a47b73f547fd_ScreenShot2017-12-30at10_56_17AM.thumb.png.25179fc9378d0add3538610710da4f54.png 

It shows how capable the players to contribute both defensive and offensive set piece,that's why marking is included even tho he's a striker

1 hour ago, brookie1402 said:

I am currently managing a semi-professional team which I have never done before. In a typical week I can only train on two days; one of which is taken up by match preparation.

I have set up position/role training for each player and also an additional focus. All of my players have a medium training workload but the ones that complain about 'the high amount of extra work they have been asked to do' have their additional focus intensity level dropped from average to light.  The problem I have is that the majority of them are still unhappy with the high amount of extra work they have been asked to do. Is it worth me ditching the additional focus given that my training facilities and coaches are all terrible and so I probably won't see any improvement anyway. My 6 influential players are already against me because of my low reputation and so I don't want to further damage morale.

My next point is about a custom training view that I stole from @Rashidi. I'm a little annoyed that I can't seem to find a column for 'additional focus intensity' to toggle between light, average, and heavy. I just want to check that it definitely isn't there as it would make life a little easier.

In the custom views that I've got, I have a column for 'workload' which was in the 'training schedule' section, and a column for 'training load' which was in the 'risk assessment' section. I just want to check on the meaning of these. I'm guessing 'workload' is pulled from team training screen where is says overall workload in the bottom right corner, but the 'training load' seems to be medium for all players despite some of them having a light additional focus intensity and some having medium focus intensity. Is this a cumulative workload, like 'match load' is, as this would make sense as they have all just returned from a winter break so I suppose they haven't had time to feel the affects of a lighter or heavier schedule yet.

Finally, what are the consequences of going from semi-professional to professional. I obviously know that I will get more days on the training field. It won't affect any of my contracts as all my players are on full time contracts anyway. Is there any additional cost associated, etc.

Sorry for the long post. I didn't think it was worth staring a whole new thread as hopefully a lot of the answers might only need one sentence.

Am willing to reply if you can sum every paragraph to 3 line or less

19 hours ago, vasterrr said:

How to set a defensive and protecting my flanks with 4-3-3 formation pls help me

Close down less Fullbacks,have a BWM in Midfield so he will support your defensive structure.Tight mark and close down good opponent wingers and show on weaker foot if they have weak foot.

20 hours ago, LeonardSnart said:

Hi, 2 questions about mentality.

What mentality would you chose for 4-2-3-1 Germany national team and 4-3-3/2-3-2-3 tiki taka?

I'm thinking about control or standard.

German? Control is good

On 12/26/2017 at 19:11, FrazT said:

I have a striker playing as a complete forward in a 4-1-2-2-1 formation.  He is reasonably efficient inside the box but hopeless on a one on one situation.  Attributes are: Finishing 14, First Touch 15, Technique 16, Composure 14, Decisions 12

AM report states a a weakness " can struggle with shooting opportunities on the edge of the  box"

Can anyone throw any light on an attribute that needs attention or specific training that can be given?  Does long shot attribute contribute to this situation?

From what I know Long shot requires plenty of free space,Composure,Long shot stats(ofc),Technique,Decisions and Concentration

Possible struggles:

-Defenders tight marked your player so he can't shoot from distance properly

-Aren't capable caused by low stats

-Role,CF rarely scores from long range in my experience.Outside of box they tend to help Attacking build-up

On 12/25/2017 at 18:55, Vali184 said:

How do you manage to beat a 3 strikers formation? I have saved right before a match against a side that use a flat 433 in order to create a system that can counter it and in 17 games I lost everytime. I mainly use a 4123 wide or 4231 wide and experimented with those. They just need to get supplied and they'll get a chance at goal everytime. I tried to mark/close downn the middle 3 with no success. they would still find one striker and from there it's almost everytime a half or clear chance. It's like a cheat tactic.

Don't tight mark them except if you have 3 CB,just Put BWM in Midfield and close down their Midfielder with over 13 Passing(Tight mark their best Midfielder).This way the Striker will receive less ball and they'll be less threatening.Also deploy CB with good Anticipation, Concentration and Decision so you won't concede a pointless penalty

On 12/29/2017 at 18:17, Wap92 said:

Guys, am I right in thinking that higher defensive line makes you more vulnerable down the middle (through balls), while deeper defensive line makes you more vulnerable down the flanks (stretched play, overlaps)?

I know that it also depends on other factors, but I'm just wondering in general.

In general,Yes

26 minutes ago, M4nager1a said:

It shows how capable the players to contribute both defensive and offensive set piece,that's why marking is included even tho he's a striker

Thanks for the reply. But, it has never been that way before. These are the skills specifically important for this specific role on the attacking corner. Why would anyone care about his defense there?

For defensive set piece it shows the important attributes for defending.

Are you sure that's why, or was that just an educated guess? Has SI said anything about it?

Edited by Joey Numbaz

Just now, Joey Numbaz said:

Thanks for the reply. But, it has never been that way before. These are the skills specifically important for this specific role on the attacking corner. Why would anyone care about his defense there?

For defensive set piece it shows the important attributes for defending.

Are you sure that's why, or was that just an educated guess? Has SI said anything about it?

Did you updated the Game? Maybe they changed it.Go to FM18 Forums to find out further I guess

Edit:And yeah it's an Educated guess XD kinda annoying for me when you have to do clicks just to check stats

Edited by M4nager1a

This is the FM18 forum. It's a stupid questions thread. Moderators and people who know these things tend to answer questions on this thread which is why I asked.

If anyone has any further information about this, marking being added to the important attributes on attacking set pieces for players going forward, in the box, etc. I would really appreciate your insight.

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, M4nager1a said:

Am willing to reply if you can sum every paragraph to 3 line or less

Ha! Arrogance of this one. I'm ok thanks. If you can't be bothered to read the 4th line of each paragraph then I think I'll wait for someone else.

I have got a player in my youth intake that was classified as one of the best of his generation. Unfortunately he has the con "needs to work on becoming more consistent if he is to develop further"

My question now is if I can do anything to help him become more consistent? 

22 minutes ago, Mindtrick_42 said:

I have got a player in my youth intake that was classified as one of the best of his generation. Unfortunately he has the con "needs to work on becoming more consistent if he is to develop further"

My question now is if I can do anything to help him become more consistent? 

Consistency is something that can improve over time, so patience is needed.

2 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

This is the FM18 forum. It's a stupid questions thread. Moderators and people who know these things tend to answer questions on this thread which is why I asked.

If anyone has any further information about this, marking being added to the important attributes on attacking set pieces for players going forward, in the box, etc. I would really appreciate your insight.

Thanks!

Marking is not an important attribute for offensive set pieces.  You don't want your players marking, you want them running around trying to lose their own markers and find pockets of space.  It's either an oversight or it refers to defending set pieces.

I'm entering my fourth season as Gloucester and I need some tips and advice tactically. What type of tactic should best work in the Vanarama National North/South? What play styles are more likely to work? Should I include many team instructions?  I've set up three tactics for use at the moment. A 4-4-2, a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1. I've never tried a 4-3-3 before and it involves 3 strikers with two on DLF and one TM. To help with the three central midfielders no doubt. Would these type of tactics work at this level?

2 hours ago, Peter G said:

I'm entering my fourth season as Gloucester and I need some tips and advice tactically. What type of tactic should best work in the Vanarama National North/South? What play styles are more likely to work? Should I include many team instructions?  I've set up three tactics for use at the moment. A 4-4-2, a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1. I've never tried a 4-3-3 before and it involves 3 strikers with two on DLF and one TM. To help with the three central midfielders no doubt. Would these type of tactics work at this level?

At a lower level you should try to avoid tactics that demand a lot regarding passing, movement, and creativity, because there are attributes harder to find at lower levels.

As a basic rule you should also start and design a tactic with as few TIs as possible or else it will be hard to identify what the problems are if you have many TIs selected.

2 hours ago, kingjericho said:

What's the requirement to achieve full fluidity in the Position/Role/Duty bar in tactic familiarity? I have all bars full, but this one seems to be stuck at around 95%.

Play the player with your currently trained role/Position often,It'll get 100% slowly.Patience is key

11 hours ago, herne79 said:

Marking is not an important attribute for offensive set pieces.  You don't want your players marking, you want them running around trying to lose their own markers and find pockets of space.  It's either an oversight or it refers to defending set pieces.

Thanks! That's what I thought too, it's definitely on attacking set pieces. Should I maybe post it to the bugs forum? It looks like Marking has replaced Decisions as the important attribute there, compared with FM17.

I just hope it's only cosmetic and not some bug in the engine too. Someone had to actively change it right? If nothing happened it would have stayed the same I assume?

Edited by Joey Numbaz

2 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

Thanks! That's what I thought too, it's definitely on attacking set pieces. Should I maybe post it to the bugs forum? It looks like Marking has replaced Decisions as the important attribute there, compared with FM17.

I just hope it's only cosmetic and not some bug in the engine too. Someone had to actively change it right? If nothing happened it would have stayed the same I assume?

Yeh no harm raising it in the Bugs forum.  Even if it isn't a bug you may get an explanation from SI devs for the change.  If it is an oversight then it'll only be cosmetic, nothing to do with the ME :thup:.

12 hours ago, kingjericho said:

At a lower level you should try to avoid tactics that demand a lot regarding passing, movement, and creativity, because there are attributes harder to find at lower levels.

As a basic rule you should also start and design a tactic with as few TIs as possible or else it will be hard to identify what the problems are if you have many TIs selected.

These are the three tactics I have set.

Ignore the players in them apart from the 4-3-3, I'd have players that fit there.

5a48d66f0a9eb_GloucesterCity_Overview-11.thumb.png.949f82eb008773fd2e67cb5751c8f338.png5a48d671ae2ca_GloucesterCity_Overview-12.thumb.png.ca189352964e4654ebb689aa4b58756e.png5a48d67454c38_GloucesterCity_Overview-13.thumb.png.242d1519046ebf2195fc188a596e1c97.png

1 hour ago, kingjericho said:

Are you sure about that? Because I have all my players training on their role and the bar seems to be stuck. (or I'm just impatient)

How long you have been training him? Sometimes it took years for a player,Sometimes in a matter of months

2 hours ago, Peter G said:

These are the three tactics I have set.

Ignore the players in them apart from the 4-3-3, I'd have players that fit there.

5a48d66f0a9eb_GloucesterCity_Overview-11.thumb.png.949f82eb008773fd2e67cb5751c8f338.png5a48d671ae2ca_GloucesterCity_Overview-12.thumb.png.ca189352964e4654ebb689aa4b58756e.png5a48d67454c38_GloucesterCity_Overview-13.thumb.png.242d1519046ebf2195fc188a596e1c97.png

Really don't get it this year. No matter what tactic I seem to have, I lose and don't win. We just let in loads of goals and generate little despite having better squads than most others. I feel like giving up..

57 minutes ago, Peter G said:

Really don't get it this year. No matter what tactic I seem to have, I lose and don't win. We just let in loads of goals and generate little despite having better squads than most others. I feel like giving up..

I'm no tactics expert and to give general advice on tactics is hard, but in your setups they seem a bit too adventurous, which will only work if you have the best players.

In the 4-3-3 your front three are all with attack duties, who supports these players? You may see them separated from the rest of the team. The tactics seems to rely excessively on them to create goals because there is not much support from the full backs, and with direct passing the midfielders often may see the ball go over them.

In the 4-4-2 the 'retain possession' shout is personally difficult to understand. What are you trying to achieve? The roles you have don't really favour a possession game.

In the 4-2-4 you have a front 4 who will barely help in defense, which will leave all the work to the 2 CMs.

Let me link you to this thread where you can see some basic advice on direct 4-4-2. Have a look in the forum and do a search for "direct 4-4-2" "english wideplay" and so on for some advice on the style.

1 hour ago, craiigman said:

I got this for one of my players:

51PQJjU.png

The bottom part, about less desirable characteristics, what am I looking for here? Personality?

The "squad personality" can raise or bring down attributes such as determination and professionalism, so if a young player is above average, he will lose points. For me this is crucial as I rely on my academy intake to develop. Therefore, I pay very close attention to my academy players' personalities in order to mould a highly professional squad so that I can optimise my training and player development. When transferring players in - or out, for that matter, analysing their personality is as important as analysing their attributes, in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

The "squad personality" can raise or bring down attributes such as determination and professionalism, so if a young player is above average, he will lose points. For me this is crucial as I rely on my academy intake to develop. Therefore, I pay very close attention to my academy players' personalities in order to mould a highly professional squad so that I can optimise my training and player development. When transferring players in - or out, for that matter, analysing their personality is as important as analysing their attributes, in my opinion. 

To sum it up,you need to buy or insert players that could fit in well in the dressing room(check at scout report) adding a player that won't fit well in the squad will hamper his development and disrupt squad harmony & cohesion(while in-match) 

Edited by M4nager1a

1 hour ago, M4nager1a said:

To sum it up,you need to buy or insert players that could fit in well in the dressing room(check at scout report) adding a player that won't fit well in the squad will hamper his development and disrupt squad harmony & cohesion(while in-match) 

Exactly. Which is quite realistic and a nice development in FM18.

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

Exactly. Which is quite realistic and a nice development in FM18.

Sure is,but the idea have been implemented in the previous version of FM,this year they just enhanced it abit

15 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

9 hours ago, M4nager1a said:

Thing is, the players I brought in don't have bad personalities, they aren't the best, but the lowest is "Balanced".

Edited by craiigman

28 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Thing is, the players I brought in don't have bad personalities, they aren't the best, but the lowest is "Balanced".

Balanced have their own mismatch too,if this "balanced" person have low determination he won't fit in a determined squad and so on with another personality.Personalities are generated through best mental stats.

Happy new year! What tactical style is best suited for a newly promoted team to Premier League? I won the Championship with Nottingham Forest so I'll need a different approach now that I'm playing against the big boys.

39 minutes ago, Vali184 said:

Happy new year! What tactical style is best suited for a newly promoted team to Premier League? I won the Championship with Nottingham Forest so I'll need a different approach now that I'm playing against the big boys.

Against Newly promoted clubs & Relegation candidates:4-3-3 Control

Against midtable Club:4-1-2-3 Counter(if your wingers are good) 

Or 4-4-2 Diamond Counter(if you have good center players) 

Against top 8:5-3-2 wide or 5-2-1-2 both defensive

Make sure you buy good Backs cause you wouldn't want to expect your strikers bang in the goals everytime.Peace out HAPPY NEW YEAR! 

This might be a stupid question but that's the name of the thread sooo...

What's the relation between the structured shapes and PPM? A player in a highly structured shape will still put in place his PPM's? I'm just asking because on this type of shapes we're told that players do intend to keep it simple.

For example, a player assigned as winger but with the ppm of "cuts inside...". What will be his behaviour regarding to this?

37 minutes ago, jukilo said:

A player in a highly structured shape will still put in place his PPM's?

Yes.

37 minutes ago, jukilo said:

For example, a player assigned as winger but with the ppm of "cuts inside...". What will be his behaviour regarding to this?

He'll tend to follow his PPM and Cut Inside.

PPMs work regardless of your Team Shape.

Hi guys, Im new to the game and got some problems with understanding few basics.

My main problem is the link between team instructions and player instructions. It makes logical sense if I pick "close down more" in team instructions for everybody and "close down less" for defenders for example. Everybody will close down more except the defenders right? If I pick "shorter passes" in team instructions and "more direct passes" for player1 it means the whole team will try to pass the ball shorter meanwhile player1 will try more direct passes right? But what happens if I pick "shorter passes" for player1? Will he pass the ball even shorter? What happens if I pick "close down more" team instruction and then again pick "close down more" player instruction? will the player close down more opponent even more or is It just some kind of visual bug and picking it both in PIs and TIs doesnt change the way my team behaves?

6 hours ago, LeonardSnart said:

Why defensive midfielder who has 16 stamina gets tired very quick? And why he receives  yellow card/ 2x yellow in almost every match if he has got only 12 agression?

You used higher tempo? and fouls aren't judged by aggression only.

Defenders with Poor Decision will make late Challange and concede cards

Edit:if your DM is a BWM,yellow cards are acceptable.Keep reminding him to calm down twice every match so he won't get sent off.

Edited by M4nager1a

9 hours ago, LeonardSnart said:

Why defensive midfielder who has 16 stamina gets tired very quick? And why he receives  yellow card/ 2x yellow in almost every match if he has got only 12 agression?

His player instruction might be 'hard tackling' but his tackling attribute is low, so he keeps mis-timing tackles.