Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi i have a question in my mind. I was watching Athletico-Real Madrid champions league match and i see that Athletico can not easily pass between the lines and short passes generally fail. I see this pattern in the game as well when i am outmatched by my opposition. I wonder which player attributes of better team are important in these situations with regards to team instructions? High dline and closing down are obvious ones. For players, better team needs anticipation to anticipate where ball is going? Workrate? Positioning? Tackling? I havent checked Real madrid players' attributes for ex. especially middfield but which player attributes are important for this high closing down game to work and making opposition team to have a bad game?

Edited by hicuty

5 hours ago, brookie1402 said:

I'm just guessing but does he have a really high work rate? If so it may be that he is charging around far too much even if his role doesn't dictate that he should. As I said though this is a pure guess.

Yep Keita has a work rate of 18 but so does Mark Noble.  In my save Keita is 24, Noble is 31 and yet Keita's condition after say 70 minutes is nudging the high 60's and yet Noble's is always in the mid 70's at that time.  Can't quite understand it.

Just now, roger_rs said:

Does team mentality affects anything that is not visible in the team instructions box? or is it just about d-line, width, tempo and passing style?

If it does what specific changes  happen?

Mentality also affects every single decision a player makes. Players will take more risks with their forward runs, dribbles, passes, tackles and shots on the higher Mentalities and vice versa.

How do you feel about using a player who attribute wise is the perfect DLP but has horrible Decisions attribute? The player in question is Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg who has 15+ for First Touch, Passing, Technique, Composore and Balance but 9 for Decisions which would be good enough for a League 2 player. Do you feel like he could increase it to about 13-14? If not, should I give up on him? He is still young and have a great range of attributes.

1 hour ago, TheJanitor said:

How do you feel about using a player who attribute wise is the perfect DLP but has horrible Decisions attribute? The player in question is Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg who has 15+ for First Touch, Passing, Technique, Composore and Balance but 9 for Decisions which would be good enough for a League 2 player. Do you feel like he could increase it to about 13-14? If not, should I give up on him? He is still young and have a great range of attributes.

Maybe don't use him as a playmaker but as a central midfielder therefore not everything goes through him.  I have Manuel Lanzini with Gylfi Sigurdsson as back up and neither have great decisions but have other good technical stats.  I started out trying them both as an AP A but neither excelled.  Changed to a CM A and both have decent goals and assists ratios now so might be something to try.

Some clubs that we send our promising players on loan to gain match experience and develop themselves rarely train them on their natural position in training.I mean even though those clubs have better training facilities and the player I send on loan is Wonderkid, after a while his attributes start decreasing.When the player come back to the club I realise that he is being forced to train on a position that he is irrelevant.I hate this, do u guys know any solution for this ? Is it better to keep him at the club instead of sending him on loan to gain match experience ?

3 hours ago, nightwalker22 said:

How can I emulate a B2B version in the AMC slot? What role & PIs do I need for that?

Attacking Midfielder-Support? With "Roam From Position" PI.
If you compare the "Important Attributes" for these two roles, they are almost the same.
But I wouldn't expect him to drop that much deep, unless there are specific TI's for that.

EDIT: The PPM "Comes Deep To Get The Ball" will definitely help.

Edited by FmPeace

On 10.05.2017 at 20:03, nightwalker22 said:

What are the best tutors at the start of the game?

Drogba, Kuyt, Cambiasso, Zabaleta, Srna, Fletcher, Bradley, Palombo, Bender, Taddei, Distin

On 12.5.2017 at 21:05, Sussex Hammer said:

Maybe don't use him as a playmaker but as a central midfielder therefore not everything goes through him.  I have Manuel Lanzini with Gylfi Sigurdsson as back up and neither have great decisions but have other good technical stats.  I started out trying them both as an AP A but neither excelled.  Changed to a CM A and both have decent goals and assists ratios now so might be something to try.

Thanks, ended up using him as CM/a. He's got a decent shot and Off The Ball so he is quite handy. Still, that 9 for Decision is such a shame.

On 13.05.2017 at 21:13, whoopy said:

Some clubs that we send our promising players on loan to gain match experience and develop themselves rarely train them on their natural position in training.I mean even though those clubs have better training facilities and the player I send on loan is Wonderkid, after a while his attributes start decreasing.When the player come back to the club I realise that he is being forced to train on a position that he is irrelevant.I hate this, do u guys know any solution for this ? Is it better to keep him at the club instead of sending him on loan to gain match experience ?

sorry for updating , never got any feedback on this topic so far :) 

Quick question about the "move into channels" player instruction, the game describes it as vertical movement, but when I searched to check what it really does I found that people (like cleon so people who tend to know a lot about the ME) say that it is a horizontal movement.  So instead of finding a pocket of space between a DM and a CD, it's more about finding space between a fullback and a central defender?  Can anyone clarify which of the two it is, a vertical or a horizontal movement?

1 hour ago, Bdare said:

Hello Guys. Quick question,how do you get a player to come deep? is it by support roles and roam from position?

Support role and PI. I believe roaming helps abit but it also gives him more license to move around, not only drop deep.

6 hours ago, vasilli07 said:

Support role and PI. I believe roaming helps abit but it also gives him more license to move around, not only drop deep.

There's no PI that encourages a player to come deep as far as I am concerned. If anything, it's mentality along duty and PPM.

@Jessan - It's between CBs and FBs.

Edited by Armistice

On 13/05/2017 at 19:13, whoopy said:

Personally I keep all my players until they reach 18 at which point I promote them to U23 if they are good enough or show them the door if they aren't. If they are playing regularly at U18 level and you have good coaches and facilities then that is the best place for them as you control their development.

At 18 if they are not good enough to play in my first team occasionally (10+ games) then I keep them for preseason and then loan them out for the first half of the season. The choice of club is important - they must have good facilities and he must be a regular first team starter and the league must be a challenge for the players level. I then recall them in January and train them for the final 6 months unless they are benefiting hugely from the loan. I repeat this until they are either good enough to be a regular starter or they reach 21 and I sell them.

3 hours ago, mbabbs said:

Personally I keep all my players until they reach 18 at which point I promote them to U23 if they are good enough or show them the door if they aren't. If they are playing regularly at U18 level and you have good coaches and facilities then that is the best place for them as you control their development.

At 18 if they are not good enough to play in my first team occasionally (10+ games) then I keep them for preseason and then loan them out for the first half of the season. The choice of club is important - they must have good facilities and he must be a regular first team starter and the league must be a challenge for the players level. I then recall them in January and train them for the final 6 months unless they are benefiting hugely from the loan. I repeat this until they are either good enough to be a regular starter or they reach 21 and I sell them.

Thanks for your respond mate.As you said I always take consider the level of facilities of the club that loan my player and squad status of the player for the regular first team player.Despite all,sometimes they train my promising or wonderkid player in a poisiton that is not his position.As you know training a player in a new position that he is not accomplished results attributes to drop.

15 hours ago, whoopy said:

Thanks for your respond mate.As you said I always take consider the level of facilities of the club that loan my player and squad status of the player for the regular first team player.Despite all,sometimes they train my promising or wonderkid player in a poisiton that is not his position.As you know training a player in a new position that he is not accomplished results attributes to drop.

Yes it can be annoying which is why I always consider a recall in January. Having said that if a player is being played out of position, it can still be beneficial.

I get the feeling that the game doesn’t respond well to squad rotation. Every time I make a few more changes, my team plays absolute garbage and lose deservedly. Regardless of matchshape.

With the centerbacks its the worst, if i change one of them i can be sure that the next game my defence plays way worse than usal.

Did you make the same experience?

Edited by jusinho9

44 minutes ago, jusinho9 said:

I get the feeling that the game doesn’t respond well to squad rotation. Every time I make a few more changes, my team plays absolute garbage and lose deservedly. Regardless of matchshape.

With the centerbacks its the worst, if i change one of them i can be sure that the next game my defence plays way worse than usal.

Did you make the same experience?

Probably because of the chemistry of the players. When players play together long enough, they developed understanding among one another. Any changes will hurt the chemistry.

8 minutes ago, vasilli07 said:

Probably because of the chemistry of the players. When players play together long enough, they developed understanding among one another. Any changes will hurt the chemistry.

Do you mean that in the shorttearm or in the longterm? F.e.: You play with a Centerbackpairing A B a few games then switch to A C and then after a few games back to A B. Does A B have chemistry then?

Its pretty annoyinng for me so far, I mean you have to rotate for various reasons. I just hope my sample size is too small and the cause is something else. :/

3 hours ago, jusinho9 said:

Do you mean that in the shorttearm or in the longterm? F.e.: You play with a Centerbackpairing A B a few games then switch to A C and then after a few games back to A B. Does A B have chemistry then?

Its pretty annoyinng for me so far, I mean you have to rotate for various reasons. I just hope my sample size is too small and the cause is something else. :/

Depends. If the players have been together for long enough, then the chemistry would be good enough. IRL, managers always try to keep centerback pairing the same unless 1 of them gets injured or suspended. I practised the same thing in the game.

I would look at the attributes of those CB rather than some mysterious "chemistry". For example if both of them got high aggression & teamwork it can end up by rushing to the same attacker.  I usually rotate a lot and I never found this issue. 

Ok I can't seem to understand the idea behind AP-S and AP-A. One stays in the hole and spray passes, the other comes deep and runs at defences. But in theory, a support duty is willing to drop deep more often than an attack duty so what exactly is each of them doing?

3 minutes ago, nightwalker22 said:

Ok I can't seem to understand the idea behind AP-S and AP-A. One stays in the hole and spray passes, the other comes deep and runs at defences. But in theory, a support duty is willing to drop deep more often than an attack duty so what exactly is each of them doing?

And the Support duty will do just that - come deep and also sit in the hole. The Attack duty will be a bit more aggressive with his positioning and as you said, will also run at defences.

Have a look at their Player Instruction screen for the differences in Mentality and instructions and also how they behave in a match.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

And the Support duty will do just that - come deep and also sit in the hole. The Attack duty will be a bit more aggressive with his positioning and as you said, will also run at defences.

Have a look at their Player Instruction screen for the differences in Mentality and instructions and also how they behave in a match.

Alright makes sense, one more thing, does the support AP contribute defensively or he just sits in the hole and eventually closes down players in his range?

6 minutes ago, nightwalker22 said:

Alright makes sense, one more thing, does the support AP contribute defensively or he just sits in the hole and eventually closes down players in his range?

Not sure what you mean by contributing defensively. If you mean drop deep to defend, then yes, he will. This is also something that's really easy to check in a match.

Why is it not possible to set up Shadow Striker's closing down to more or much more? Does it mean he's not involved much in pressing, like a Trequarista for example?

And if a role has a PI hardcoded in (for example FB-A has Cross More Often hardcoded in), will a respective TI counter its effect (like Work Ball into the Box in this example)?

Edited by Armistice

I've noticed that my goalkeeper is making some mistakes on corners where he comes out for the ball and gets nowhere near it. What attributes determine this? Communication, Command of Area, Aerial Ability all stick out but are there any others.

I'm playing 433, which is going very well offensively but get gubbed on the flanks. We're being doubled up on every time and they have loads of space to whip in a simple ball which they often score from.

My set up is 2x WB (s), 2 x CD (def), midfield comprised of two B2B midfielders on the right and left and a CM (d) holding in the centre.

Basically, what I want to know is, what midfield roles will better cover the flanks? I thought the B2B might work but not enough. we get crucified on the flanks, especially when CPU plays 4231.

Attacking or standard mentality, flexible, work ball into box, normal defensive line, close down more, lower tempo, prevent GK distribution, tight marking, short passing.

The wing backs are my only wide players and the PIs they have are stay wider, close down less, tackle harder, mark tighter, as well as get further forward and cross more often.

I play a narrow 3 in middle, expecting the B2Bs to join the AM (a), DLF (s) and CF (a) in offensive situations and defensively I want them to provide more cover for the flanks than they do. Maybe BWMs? However, that may take away the strength of the set up, which of course is goal scoring. My B2B midfielders have good teamwork and work rate stats as well as positioning.

I've tried changing WB(s) to FB (s) and while sits deeper and reduces some of the space, When the AI have a full back bombing on as well as a winger on each flank, we're hopelessly caught out. We conceded as much as we score and it's bit annoying.

Slightly odd situation I haven't seen before, at least that I can recall. I'm managing Fulham and using George Williams as my primary left winger. His Match Fitness  keeps dropping to Lacking, but he's playing nearly every match. He has missed 6 of the last 20 matches, but his Match Fitness has dropped to Lacking 2 or 3 times. He has missed no more than 2 matches at a time, has not been injured, and his Natural Fitness is 15. I thought Natural Fitness was linked to Match Fitness and a player with relatively high Natural Fitness would retain their Match Fitness longer...? Would something else be affecting this?  I only have 1 Fitness coach for the 1st team but don't know if that would have a notable impact....?

2 hours ago, bamb00zle said:

Attacking or standard mentality, flexible, work ball into box, normal defensive line, close down more, lower tempo, prevent GK distribution, tight marking, short passing.

The wing backs are my only wide players and the PIs they have are stay wider, close down less, tackle harder, mark tighter, as well as get further forward and cross more often.

I play a narrow 3 in middle, expecting the B2Bs to join the AM (a), DLF (s) and CF (a) in offensive situations and defensively I want them to provide more cover for the flanks than they do. Maybe BWMs? However, that may take away the strength of the set up, which of course is goal scoring. My B2B midfielders have good teamwork and work rate stats as well as positioning.

I've tried changing WB(s) to FB (s) and while sits deeper and reduces some of the space, When the AI have a full back bombing on as well as a winger on each flank, we're hopelessly caught out. We conceded as much as we score and it's bit annoying.

Maybe you can try using a halfback or anchorman. Both doesn't close down as much as a DM does. Or experiment with your AM and 1 striker marking their fullbacks?

Why are some players training workloads heavy and some medium? The players are in my first team squad so have the same level of team training and match preparation, and they are both working on individual additional focus' but for some the workload is heavy and others it is medium. Any ideas why this is?

2 minutes ago, nightwalker22 said:

In a 4-2-3-1, if you have two attacking fullbacks, are the two central midfielders supposed to close down more or less, in case you want to cover the space left behind by them.

I'd be more concerned with them being conservative enough regarding moving from their position in front of the defence than anything else. They shouldn't create more space behind them.