Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

46 minutes ago, herne79 said:

No there isn't.  Keep a close an eye on him and if you notice his MR / AMR position familiarity increasing either talk to his club or recall him (if you can).

However, I'm not sure where you have got 40 points from.  If that was the case, lower league players that can play in more than one position would never develop, and decent players wouldn't have such good attributes.  Don't worry so much about CA and PA :).

thanks for your reply.

unfortunately, this were near end of season. hsi team on liga adelante just have 4 match remaining, Even if I recall him now,I wont made much difference as the color on mr/amr is bright grey.

about 40 points, I know from fmrte. I regulary using this for scouting,since I always play classic mode. Each position familiarity would range from 1-20.

Previously I plan to train his 2nd position as AML to become inside forward,replacing aging ronaldo, or becoming dm , unfortunately,It does seems I can only use him as mc by now

I wish my another youngster wont share same fate lol

Edited by Hanan96

What makes a good tutor?

I know they need a good personality like Professional, Resolute etc and good determination helps, but what are the other factors? Because I've been having very little success with tutoring (minor personality changes after multiple tutoring sessions at best).

55 minutes ago, Repsalty said:

What makes a good tutor?

I know they need a good personality like Professional, Resolute etc and good determination helps, but what are the other factors? Because I've been having very little success with tutoring (minor personality changes after multiple tutoring sessions at best).

So long as the player matches the criteria to become a Tutor (age, rep, club status and so on) that's pretty much all there is to it.  Tutoring always has the potential to fail, or not be overly effective, so you can be unlucky.

That being said, the player to be tutored may influence things as well.  Players with particularly poor personalities can take a fair bit of tutoring to get right, and even then it might not work.  When Ravel Morrison was at West Ham it would be a minor miracle if I could even get someone to start tutoring him let alone actually complete a tutoring session.

21 minutes ago, herne79 said:

So long as the player matches the criteria to become a Tutor (age, rep, club status and so on) that's pretty much all there is to it.  Tutoring always has the potential to fail, or not be overly effective, so you can be unlucky.

That being said, the player to be tutored may influence things as well.  Players with particularly poor personalities can take a fair bit of tutoring to get right, and even then it might not work.  When Ravel Morrison was at West Ham it would be a minor miracle if I could even get someone to start tutoring him let alone actually complete a tutoring session.

So the tutor being a very famous player (let's say Ronaldo or Messi) does not affect it?

Just a couple of quick ones: 

• Is there any particular way to make you more compact horizontally? Maybe instructing my full-backs to tuck in more? Close down less? 
  • Also, when coming up against stronger opposition we seem to struggle in an attacking sense. Would it be better to go structured; leave more room in between players with the ball and try to play quickly on the break? Right now I'm playing standard, fluid with no particular changes in tempo, closing down more. I was thinking potentially maybe going counter structured, with more direct passing and pass into space. 

4 minutes ago, DerKopite said:

Just a couple of quick ones: 

• Is there any particular way to make you more compact horizontally? Maybe instructing my full-backs to tuck in more? Close down less? 
  • Also, when coming up against stronger opposition we seem to struggle in an attacking sense. Would it be better to go structured; leave more room in between players with the ball and try to play quickly on the break? Right now I'm playing standard, fluid with no particular changes in tempo, closing down more. I was thinking potentially maybe going counter structured, with more direct passing and pass into space. 

1) If you mean when you are defending, then no - unless you give your fullbacks some specific man marking instructions.  If you mean when you have possession then the Width TI setting and/or Mentality will help there.

2) Impossible to answer without knowing how you play.

6 minutes ago, herne79 said:

1) If you mean when you are defending, then no - unless you give your fullbacks some specific man marking instructions.  If you mean when you have possession then the Width TI setting and/or Mentality will help there.

2) Impossible to answer without knowing how you play.

My normal set-up is: Control, fluid. Slightly higher line, close down more, play out of defence, mixed passing, lower crosses. 4-3-3: SK , LB - FB , CD [D] x2, RB - FB [A]; DM [D], AP [A], CM ; LW - W [A], RW - IF , DF

Although, with me being Deportivo, that probably won't work vs. the Barcelona's in the league so I need a more direct alternative. 

almost any youth player would got poor stamina. is it good to focussed their training in stamina attributes,or just give them anther focus, like role,and let the stamina increased naturally?

On 1/8/2017 at 18:36, wkdsoul said:

What stats effect the players speed to get full 'tactical familiarity' ? 

Anyone? 

1 hour ago, Hanan96 said:

almost any youth player would got poor stamina. is it good to focussed their training in stamina attributes,or just give them anther focus, like role,and let the stamina increased naturally?

There is a high chance of causing injuries if you push a youth to do much fitness training. you have to be patient and allow his stamina to increase naturally.

Which attributes would make a goalkeeper absolutely terrible at saving longshots? I'm guessing anticipation, concentration, and positioning.

Could someone please provide a link to a step-by-step guide to moving a downloaded tactic onto an iPad and using it for FMT? Haven't done this for years, possibly not ever with an iPad, and I'm lost!

I need some help getting the strikerrole in my tactic right, I've been playing a DLF on attack for half a season but he has 4 goals and 2 assists in 17 matches with a 6.63 avg rating.  I'm not sure if it's just a lack of player quality or a problem with his role.  How would you guys set up a striker in this system and can you see any other tactical issues?

Standard - Fluid

???

Wsu                                        IFa

CMat    DLPd    BWMs

FBsu       CDde         CDde    FBat

2 hours ago, crafty bison said:

Could someone please provide a link to a step-by-step guide to moving a downloaded tactic onto an iPad and using it for FMT? Haven't done this for years, possibly not ever with an iPad, and I'm lost!

This is best asked in the general discussion area.

41 minutes ago, Jessan said:

I need some help getting the strikerrole in my tactic right, I've been playing a DLF on attack for half a season but he has 4 goals and 2 assists in 17 matches with a 6.63 avg rating.  I'm not sure if it's just a lack of player quality or a problem with his role.  How would you guys set up a striker in this system and can you see any other tactical issues?

Standard - Fluid

???

Wsu                                        IFa

CMat    DLPd    BWMs

FBsu       CDde         CDde    FBat

It seems balanced on the face of it, but of course there's a lot more involved than a formation and roles/duties. Regarding the striker role, what are the problems you are noticing with his play? I agree that isn't a great return that you've had, but it's hard to know what the problem exactly is, as it's related to his abilities, the opponents he's up against, and how the players around him are performing.  The best thing to do is watch back a couple games where he was quiet- click his dot/player to highlight his and see what he's up to, and pay attention to the players around him as well. It will at the very least help identify what he is or isn't doing, or having done to him that is reducing his effectiveness. Check his stat lines too in the poor games.

Work permit rules: Minimum of 4 points required based on the following criteria.

3 points if player salary is in top 25% of the top 30 earns at the club

Does this mean that if hes the best payed in my club I get a chance of getting a wp?

32 minutes ago, QSF25 said:

Work permit rules: Minimum of 4 points required based on the following criteria.

3 points if player salary is in top 25% of the top 30 earns at the club

Does this mean that if hes the best payed in my club I get a chance of getting a wp?

This is a question for the general discussion forum, please.

I remember it was discussed in the forums here, but still got confused:

Does hving a higher D Line increases closing down as well?

Or is it the other way round: Increasing the closing down pushes the D line higher?

I remember one of them is not true and that it is a glitch in the TI screen.

I've been puzzling over this question.

If I understand correctly, the formation I choose for my tactic determines my team's defensive shape.  So, if I pick 4-4-2, my midfielders and defenders will drop back into two blocks of four when the other team has the ball.

What my team does offensively is, then, driven by roles and duties, and by player and team instructions that relate to attacking play...right?  That's what I understand to be the case.

That leads to my primary question.  There are several roles that can be played by players who line up in different strata on my tactics screen.  A Wing Back can play in the back line, or in the next level higher.  I can have a Deep Lying Playmaker in the middle of my 4-4-2, or in the DM spot in a 4-1-2-3, etc.

How much does the player's spot in my tactic affect his offensive play?  In other words, will a Wing Back on Attack duty who's placed here, in a flat back four:

wingback%20in%20flat%20four_zpsxuumx6lw.

behave in possession like a Wing Back on Attack Duty who is placed here?

wingback%20in%20forward%20position_zpswp

The description of the role on the tactics screen looks the same in both cases.

And, if they behave similarly in possession, is the only difference between them going to be the position they establish when we're defending? 

I hope that makes sense.  Thanks in advance.

@Greyfriars Bobby  They are very similar in attacking behavior- I think you would have a hard time spotting the difference, really, once play settles in the final third. However, the advantage of the wb strata vs the bf strata is they begin their transitions higher on the pitch and so provide more of a winger option or outlet than would a fullback. Once you transition into the attack and get set up, you aren't going to notice much difference if any.

22 minutes ago, Dr. Hook said:

@Greyfriars Bobby  They are very similar in attacking behavior- I think you would have a hard time spotting the difference, really, once play settles in the final third. However, the advantage of the wb strata vs the bf strata is they begin their transitions higher on the pitch and so provide more of a winger option or outlet than would a fullback. Once you transition into the attack and get set up, you aren't going to notice much difference if any.

But they will take slightly different positions when defending? 

4 minutes ago, Greyfriars Bobby said:

But they will take slightly different positions when defending? 

They will if the play doesn't go too deep into your zone or down their flank. They will track their man as deep as a fullback does if needed and drop back as necessary also, but if not, they'll stay higher and be ready for an outlet pass. The wingback in the fullback strata will by default drop deeper into defense whether it is strictly necessary or not. So you can see the pros and cons, the FB strata player is less likely to get caught out with a quick switch of the flanks or a late overlap, but you sacrifice their ability to get up for a quick transition forward.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Hook said:

They will if the play doesn't go too deep into your zone or down their flank. They will track their man as deep as a fullback does if needed and drop back as necessary also, but if not, they'll stay higher and be ready for an outlet pass. The wingback in the fullback strata will by default drop deeper into defense whether it is strictly necessary or not. So you can see the pros and cons, the FB strata player is less likely to get caught out with a quick switch of the flanks or a late overlap, but you sacrifice their ability to get up for a quick transition forward.

Thank you, Dr. Hook.  That answer is just what I needed.  I can extend it logically to the other situations where there's a role that can be played at different strata, too.

11 minutes ago, Greyfriars Bobby said:

Thank you, Dr. Hook.  That answer is just what I needed.  I can extend it logically to the other situations where there's a role that can be played at different strata, too.

You're welcome, and yeah you can apply it elsewhere, so players in the wide AM slots will behave very similarly, and do a much better job of tracking back and defending than in past versions.

On 09/01/2017 at 14:41, Dr. Hook said:

Welcome- the BWM will be the role that does this for you, but the CM(S) offers a bit more reliability but requires the right player to cover well. Let me know how it works for you :)

So far so good! Ten games and only conceded six goals. A much better return than before when we could never keep a clean sheet. Thanks again!

3 hours ago, beardymouse said:

So far so good! Ten games and only conceded six goals. A much better return than before when we could never keep a clean sheet. Thanks again!

Awesome, glad it's helping :thup:

I'm still triying to understand the layers of the instructions.

Let's say, if I have a medium d-line when playing with a Standard mentality.

And then I add the TI "Slightly Higher" now I will have a medium-high d-line? Or a High defensive line?

Adding team instructions increases them "one notch"? 

1 hour ago, bosque said:

I'm still triying to understand the layers of the instructions.

Let's say, if I have a medium d-line when playing with a Standard mentality.

And then I add the TI "Slightly Higher" now I will have a medium-high d-line? Or a High defensive line?

Adding team instructions increases them "one notch"? 

Yes, pretty much- your mentality sets your initial d-line, then the team instructions modify from there.

The good news is my team is in the midst of a long unbeaten streak.  The bad news is half the team is complacent or overconfident, so I'm getting too many draws, and some of them only happen when we come from behind after an aggressive halftime talk.  We're playing with fire, and this is the first time I've actually had a shot at winning the league.  20 matches in, 2nd on GD.  (You'd think this would make my team excited rather than complacent, but we all now th mental aspects of the game engine are awful.)

IRL this is easy to handle.  You bench the players that play like that and tell them why you benched them.  But I have to do it with the pregame talk.

any suggestions?

What is the closest to a generic role in peoples opinion for a lone striker?  It's the one area I can't make things tick and haven't done in the last couple of versions.  The problem I seem to face is that every role has hard coded instructions added to it.  For instance I love the F9 role but it has "dribble more" hard coded so pretty pointless playing someone who can't dribble there.  A DLF has "hold up ball" and "play risky passes" so again unless he is a good passer you could be asking for trouble and "hold up ball" may not be ideal for every strategy.  Advanced Forward "dribble more", Complete Forward "dribble more, hold up ball, more risky passes", TQ "dribble more, more risky passes", TM "hold up ball", and Poacher is not ideal for a lone striker role and a Defensive Forward has "fewer risky passes" so too far the other way.  Really frustrating that there isn't a generic role like a CM or a WM with no hard coded instructions.

Edited by Sussex Hammer

1 hour ago, Sussex Hammer said:

What is the closest to a generic role in peoples opinion for a lone striker?  It's the one area I can't make things tick and haven't done in the last couple of versions.  The problem I seem to face is that every role has hard coded instructions added to it.  For instance I love the F9 role but it has "dribble more" hard coded so pretty pointless playing someone who can't dribble there.  A DLF has "hold up ball" and "play risky passes" so again unless he is a good passer you could be asking for trouble and "hold up ball" may not be ideal for every strategy.  Advanced Forward "dribble more", Complete Forward "dribble more, hold up ball, more risky passes", TQ "dribble more, more risky passes", TM "hold up ball", and Poacher is not ideal for a lone striker role and a Defensive Forward has "fewer risky passes" so too far the other way.  Really frustrating that there isn't a generic role like a CM or a WM with no hard coded instructions.

Yes, this is one great peeve of mine as well- they all have hardcoded instructions that limit who you can use effectively in the roles. I use the DF roles as the "generic" role in my setups, they have the least "wrong" with them- I'd rather live with the simple passing than a hardcoded dribble instruction, for example. I use a high block anyway, so the closing down part doesn't bother me. The down side, as there always is, is no attack duty.  We absolutely need a ST(C) role that is akin to the CM role that we can customize more readily.

20 minutes ago, Dr. Hook said:

Yes, this is one great peeve of mine as well- they all have hardcoded instructions that limit who you can use effectively in the roles. I use the DF roles as the "generic" role in my setups, they have the least "wrong" with them- I'd rather live with the simple passing than a hardcoded dribble instruction, for example. I use a high block anyway, so the closing down part doesn't bother me. The down side, as there always is, is no attack duty.  We absolutely need a ST(C) role that is akin to the CM role that we can customize more readily.

Agreed.  Too often I see strikers controlling the ball then just running blindly into an opposition DM or CB behind him.  I used a 4141 in FM16 and used a DF S that was great and getting 15/20 goals a season.  Unfortunately I can't get a striker firing in 17 (hence my interest in your TM thread).  My strikers have decent "striker" attributes but not in dribbling.  In fact if I scout a search with availability for my Club on strikers with 15 dribbling and 15 finishing only 6 appear and some of those have reduced stats in the other important areas.   Just a basic "centre forward" with no hard coded PI's would be ideal or at the very least as you see a DF with an attack duty or a "get further forward option." 

Edited by Sussex Hammer

I thought Structured Team Shape asks your players to play the exact role they are but then I read this part on the FAQ and got confused.

Flexible shape retains the mentality splits exactly as dictated by your roles and duties.

What is the difference then between Flexible and Structured?

15 minutes ago, bosque said:

I thought Structured Team Shape asks your players to play the exact role they are but then I read this part on the FAQ and got confused.

What is the difference then between Flexible and Structured?

Structured increases the mentality splits- defenders are expected to be more defensive, attackers more attacking, so mentality for defensive players is decreased and mentality for attacking players is increased. They will still play the exact roles, but the player mentalities are adjusted to be in line with team mentality.

9 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

and Poacher is not ideal for a lone striker role

Why not?

(Honest question; trying to learn more.)

3 hours ago, eriktous said:

Why not?

He tends to get isolated.  It's like playing with 10 men.

(But that's really only if you don't set up the rest of the team to take that role into account.  For example, do you have an AMC?  What is his role?  Are you launching balls up to the poacher, or are you working the ball to the final third?)

i rather like the poacher role.  It ain't my favorite or anything, but I don't hate it.

7 hours ago, eriktous said:

Why not?

As per what Super Dave says.  I'm just going by what others have said to be honest.  In my case I play a 4141 using the DM and CM strata so any attacking lone striker can get isolated, although I have read somewhere this year that you can get a striker with an attacking duty working just fine without players in the AM strata.  I guess you can get anything to work it's just how you set it up.

Quick question on tutoring. If I have a youngster with a professional personality and wanted to raise his ambition also for making things easier to reach his potential. If I then tutored him with a senior player with an ambitious personality would that then reduce the youngsters professional rating to the level of the senior player?

1 hour ago, geordiekris said:

Quick question on tutoring. If I have a youngster with a professional personality and wanted to raise his ambition also for making things easier to reach his potential. If I then tutored him with a senior player with an ambitious personality would that then reduce the youngsters professional rating to the level of the senior player?

If the tutor's professionalism is lower, yes it will reduce the tutee's rating in that attribute. Depending on how much lower and how successful the tutoring period, it may or may not drop all the way to the level of the tutor.

I'm not happy with my tactics and I am looking for a way to improve it. I would like you to mainly advised me to choose roles for central midfielders and a lone-striker :) 

tactic.png

58 minutes ago, messinho said:

I'm not happy with my tactics and I am looking for a way to improve it. I would like you to mainly advised me to choose roles for central midfielders and a lone-striker :) 

tactic.png

1) You are playing in Control

If you did not know, Control is an offensive high risk mentality. So your players will not try to "Control" the ball with possession but "Control" the game pressing a lot, getting the ball forward a lot, etc. 

2) Your three forward players #11, #20 and #31 are in an attacking duty.

If you are with a Control (offensive, attacking) mentality it isn't necessary to make your top 3 players attacking too, they will attack by inertia, by momentum. And if they are with an attacking duty they will be too far from the midfield and you need, you want, you wish to have one or two players who links the midfield with the attack. So one, two or even three support duties in the forwards line will be good. If I were you, I will choose a support duty for #31 so he keeps wide and make space to #10 to exploit. The fullbacks with attacking duties are ok in my opinion because in football is very important the presence of vertical fullbacks.

3) The roles in the midfield are ok in my opinion. Maybe, if you want to play out of defense, you will want to make your CD a deep playmaker so the defense can find a brain quickly.

23 hours ago, messinho said:

tactic.png

I don't agree with bosque.  Not saying he's wrong, just don't agree.  Control isn't THAT attacking.  Your tactic can work.  But having said that, do your front 4 players annoy you by being too quick to make a high risk pass forward when a safer sideways pass is a better option?  When I see this I change attacking to support.

can you be specific what the problem is?  The weakness I see is that your central midfield is like Swiss cheese when the other team is attacking at pace.  The AP (A) will obviously be far upfield most of the time.  The BBM could be anywhere.  And the anchor is too far back.  The other team will normally have a lot of time and space to get organized in their attacks through the middle.

As counterintuitive as it sounds, I think your defense will be better if the anchor man was a DLP (d).  I think you'd get more of what you want.

What role is similar in movement to a CFs, I'm managing a Championship club and I have a decent CFs already but difficult to attract such players to us. Need strong back up.

I thought about a DLFs but he seems to stray away from the penalty box too much in comparison. I play an SS behind the CFs and having a bit of success but I don't think I could accommodate an AF alongside a SS, or could I?

If you fielded a 4231 what roles would you give to your main striker and the guy behind?

11 minutes ago, ChelseaFan7 said:

what tempo should i use in a control tactic?

Entirely up to you based on your own style of play.

Just be aware that by default the Control mentality sets a quite high tempo.

1 hour ago, bamb00zle said:

If you fielded a 4231 what roles would you give to your main striker and the guy behind?

I'm kind of a horses for courses guy.  If you have a target man that can work.  But I think CF is the best role, generally.

As for the player behind him, I'm in the 12th season of my current save, and it's almost always been an AP.  (Usually A but sometimes S.  I adjust based on the spacing.)  It's not easy to find the right player but when you do he can drive your whole team's attack in a very positive way.

But slightly over a season ago, there was a 23 year old starter for Germany.  He'd started most of the time for Bayern the season before when they won the CL.  As I said, he starts for Germany.  So he's a great, great player.  For some unknown reason, he was out of contract until a week before the free transfer deadline!  So I signed him.

I tried him in various roles, and he became world class as an AP at AMR.  Which made an AP at AMC a waste.  Now my AMC is an AM usually, sometimes a shadow striker.

Here's my point...with my outlook on the game, I prefer an attacking playmaker at AMC.  I look for that "right player" very hard, and the right player simplifies the roles of everyone around him.  That, in turn, makes it easier to find the right players to play around him.  But in my opinion you have to be flexible based on your players.  My world class player was merely very good at AMC (AP) but he's literally world class at AMR (AP.)  Just made the world best XI.  So I changed.

I have had a ton of success with a DLP (D) as one of my 2.  When I changed from (S) to (D) my defense became noticeably better and my attack stayed the same.

PS...I've tried an F9 in front of a shadow striker.  Not much, but a few times.  That combination seems really feast or famine.  That may be because it's really effective against one kind of defending but very poor against another.  Or it may be something that will sort itself if I play it another 6-8 times.

Just wondering if anyone knows what attributes are beneficial for players scoring headers in the penalty area?  Reason I ask is that I have got Simone Zaza banging in the headers beautifully and see him getting across defenders really well in the area.  Same thing with Enner Valencia, which is a little strange because he is quite short.  However although he has scored one I can't get Andy Carroll firing on the headers front at all, which isn't a surprise in FM, but obviously tactically the chances are there because Zaza is doing it regularly!

Wondering if agility and acceleration are better stats for getting free in the area and maybe Carroll's low anticipation doesn't help?  Carroll clearly wins on the heading, jumping and strength attributes and yet as I say Zaza is scoring more headers?

carroll v zaza.jpg

6 minutes ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Just wondering if anyone knows what attributes are beneficial for players scoring headers in the penalty area?  Reason I ask is that I have got Simone Zaza banging in the headers beautifully and see him getting across defenders really well in the area.  Same thing with Enner Valencia, which is a little strange because he is quite short.  However although he has scored one I can't get Andy Carroll firing on the headers front at all, which isn't a surprise in FM, but obviously tactically the chances are there because Zaza is doing it regularly!

Wondering if agility and acceleration are better stats for getting free in the area and maybe Carroll's low anticipation doesn't help?  Carroll clearly wins on the heading, jumping and strength attributes and yet as I say Zaza is scoring more headers?

carroll v zaza.jpg

Have a quick check of my reply to you in the West Ham thread.