Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

41 minutes ago, Ji-Sung Park said:

Question from the sidelines:

What do you guys do to get motivated? I have some time off now where it would be perfect to play a little, but I feel jaded with FM16 and not very motivated to fire up a long running save. I used to go with some replicas before when I felt this way, but now I can't find anything I'd like to try etc.

Ideas?

If you're feeling a bit jaded from FM (or indeed any other game or activity), sometimes it can be an idea to just stop for a while.  Take a break, do something different, go outside and enjoy life.  Recharge the batteries and come back stronger for FM17.

How do you tell, by looking at the 3D/2D field, how high is the opponent's defensive line?

If I understand it correctly playmakers have a hardcoded ability to 'attract' the ball, but are there other roles with abilities not explained by their PIs?

To be more precise: Is there anything 'special' about a box-to-box midfielder not explained by its instructions? E.g. if I take a central midfielder on support with the roaming PI, would he be identical to a B2B-midfielder?

I can't remember EXACTLY what happened, but a few seasons ago I was messing with my tactics and "lost" one of them.  I had 3 and when I started messing with a 4th, one of them disappeared.  When I added it back, my team had to start from 0 on familiarity.

I want to add a 4-4-1-1 to my quiver, but am afraid of losing something I've worked on when I do this.  Please advise.  (If the only option is to just ditch one of the tactics, how do I choose which one?  Because the main thing is I don't want to lose my base, 4-2-3-1 again.  If I lose my 4-4-2 counter, or even my 4-1-2-3, meh.)

18 minutes ago, superdave said:

I can't remember EXACTLY what happened, but a few seasons ago I was messing with my tactics and "lost" one of them.  I had 3 and when I started messing with a 4th, one of them disappeared.  When I added it back, my team had to start from 0 on familiarity.

I want to add a 4-4-1-1 to my quiver, but am afraid of losing something I've worked on when I do this.  Please advise.  (If the only option is to just ditch one of the tactics, how do I choose which one?  Because the main thing is I don't want to lose my base, 4-2-3-1 again.  If I lose my 4-4-2 counter, or even my 4-1-2-3, meh.)

As far as I know, you always can only have three at any one time. I seem to recall there was some way to get around this in the past that involved some trickery, but I couldn't tell you what it was or if it still works. That said, if you want to add one, then you remove the one you want least. So clear out the one you don't care to keep before you start creating a new one, so you have a free slot. That's how I do it. Apologies if this is not answering quite what you are asking.

19 hours ago, goalash said:

How do you tell, by looking at the 3D/2D field, how high is the opponent's defensive line?

Look where the centerbacks move to when they are on the attack. The more they get past the halfway line, the higher the opponent d-line is playing.

Slightly odd question... but at what point does a long cross pitch pass near the opponent goal become a cross?

I know the FM16 engine has crossing issues, and I'm trying to figure out if the 4-1-4-1 very fluid high press tactic (based on Ozil's Sacchi 4-4-2 thread) is exploiting that or not. My side scores these goals that I love on occasion - either a winger or a CM snaps a long pass/cross from relatively deep (not by the halfway line but not that close to the byline either) across the goal and either the opposite winger or the striker is there to clip it into goal quite easily. The only TI I have regarding crosses is Low Crosses. The players making the player typically have fairly mediocre crossing but better passing. I think the game considers them a cross, but not always. So.... cross or longer crossfield pass?

Touchline Shout "Ask for More". What's the context here: ask for more because the team is not playing well enough, and I want more of my players ?; or ask for more because my players are doing well and I want more of the same ?

On 25/8/2016 at 07:59, dolph11 said:

Quick question, I'm currently playing with 4-2-3-1 with 2 defensive midfielders

GK

FB/a CD/d CD/d FB/s

DM/s  RGA/s

IF/s        AP/a       W/a

AF/a

I use an attacking mentality with structured team shape. Which role best suits an attacking midfielder so not to constantly try through balls. I've tried the advanced playmaker with both support and attack duties and I lose a lot of possession due to his constant through balls. None of my AM's have 'tries through balls often' and I can't edit it in the player instructions as it's hard checked into the players instruction. I like the movement and the positions on the field where my AP's have possession but they're just so wasteful. Ideally, I'd be able to uncheck 'more risky passes' but it's not possible. 

Do any of the other roles give you the same movement and positioning off the ball as the advanced playmaker without the constant through ball attempts? 

13 minutes ago, dolph11 said:

AF/a

I use an attacking mentality with structured team shape. Which role best suits an attacking midfielder so not to constantly try through balls. I've tried the advanced playmaker with both support and attack duties and I lose a lot of possession due to his constant through balls. None of my AM's have 'tries through balls often' and I can't edit it in the player instructions as it's hard checked into the players instruction. I like the movement and the positions on the field where my AP's have possession but they're just so wasteful. Ideally, I'd be able to uncheck 'more risky passes' but it's not possible. 

Do any of the other roles give you the same movement and positioning off the ball as the advanced playmaker without the constant through ball attempts? 

Use the Advanced Midfielder role and adjust PIs to match those of the Advanced Playmaker, minus More Risky Passes.

22 hours ago, pedrosantos said:

Touchline Shout "Ask for More". What's the context here: ask for more because the team is not playing well enough, and I want more of my players ?; or ask for more because my players are doing well and I want more of the same ?

It's the first one.

In regards to building team cohesion does the game factor in who has played with who?  For instance, if I play a friendly with only my second team will those players be more cohesive the next time they play with the first team?

Edited by Andrew K

Why did nobody tell me that on FMT, teams from leagues not loaded get a free match fitness boost. >_>

Here I was making a FMT game wondering why Blackburn was running rings around me all the time, and never did I think to see they all had match fitness while mine were still hungover in the pre-season phase. Pft! >_>

They don't get match fitness boost. Which league did you choose to manage in? And did you choose to start your league during preseason or start of season? There is a match fitness difference depending on which one you choose.

Hi,

Is there anyway to rest players when managing a national team?

Playing with Portugal in WC2018, and after 3 games most of my players need some rest and i don't know what to do.

I have a question about training and training schedules. Can someone tell me exactly what attributes are focused on within the different training schedules in team training?

58 minutes ago, burtanza said:

I have a question about training and training schedules. Can someone tell me exactly what attributes are focused on within the different training schedules in team training?

Have a look in the FAQs sticky at the top of this forum (Training section) :thup:.

4 hours ago, herne79 said:

Have a look in the FAQs sticky at the top of this forum (Training section) :thup:.

Ah yes, of course. It didnt even cross my mind. Will do. Thanks!

Okay, so a pretty subjective question but I'm stuck at work and mulling a new save, so figured it can't hurt to ask. Randomly started a save last night with Hamburg on a post-summer window data update. I haven't managed HSV since they had Kompany, de Jong, and Van der Vaart. They have a bit of money to spend in the update, and they signed two really promsing players in the summer - Alen Halilovic from Barcelona and Arianit Ferati from Stuttgart. Tho the latter is out on loan already. What I'm mulling is what to try to develop the pair of them into.

Both are naturally AMCs. But the tactic I've been using doesn't use an AMC. I've been using a 4-1-4-1 variation of Ozil's Sacchi 4-4-2, with a DM. Even if I went to a 4-4-1-1 with an AMC, neither Halilovic nor Ferati have the workrate I would want. Both are small, technical, reasonably creative, good passing and touch, great flair, but not much pace. They both have some versatility. I could retrain them to be wingers or central mids.

The 4-1-4-1 I'm using has a DLP in one CM position as the primary pivot. A B2B or CM-S is the other CM. The two wide players are WM or W. Retraining those two as wide mids is most appealing - they have reasonable Crossing but the mediocre workrate and not great pace is a bit of a concern. Neither has or is likely to quickly develop the right tools to be overly effective as a CM or B2B. Halilovic could make a solid DLP - he has really good First Touch, good Passing, decent Vision and he's not a total liability defensively. His pace would be no issue there. But he a PPM for Runs Often with Ball... and that's not what I really want from a DLP.

Basically, asking what others would retain them as - wingers or keep them central. And whether having a DLP who has a tendency to dribble forward with the ball is likely to be a liability beside another CM who likes to keep forward, but backed by a DM....?

Bit late to be asking this when FM17 is nearly out but I have been tinkering about and have noticed that any player without "move into channels" and "hold position" being greyed out by a role can have both ticked by the user.  I assumed if one was ticked then the other would automatically grey out , I mean I can't see any logic to having both ticked as they are counter productive aren't they?!?!

I`m having big problems on my left back. First halv of the season gone and 13 of 32 goal conceded is from crosses from my left side. My left back is still one of my best players, both in rating and in stars (7,45 and 4 stars). It looks to me like he is always too narrow in defence. Looks more like a CD when we are under attack.

On the other side we have only conceded 4 goals, but my right back is just 17 years old and really no good (6,66 and 2 stars).

I have tried different instructions on my left back, with no result. I play a 4123 with a inside attacker (support) in front of him.

Any ideas?

I'm running a 4-2-3-1.  Many teams IRL task one mid with being the main player moving the ball from back to front, and a different mid tasked with making the assist.  I'd avoided that with FM because I figured it would confuse my players, but after 3 years of sub-mediocrity, I thought what the heck.  So I changed my CM to DLP (D), short passing, and it's working very well.  I'm better defensively without giving up any offense.

the problem is that I'm getting little or nothing from the AMR and AML.  My two main ones are young enough to still be improving, so that ain't it.  In particular, my AMR who has been great as a RMD is averaging about 6.8.  If I can get him back to the player he was last year (15 goals) then I'll have a good team.

thoughts?

DL on support, DR is WB on support, CF, other CM is BWM (D).  Everything else is pretty vanilla; I usually play control or standard depending on opposition and home/away.

Well, your DLP is the main guy moving the ball about... how close are the AMR and AML to him in average position? The fact that you have shortened his passing means they may be out of range for where you are telling him to pass the ball. A CM as DLP on defend is gonna hang pretty deep, whereas the AMR and AML will be quite high.

That said, don't just go by the average rating. Are they getting touches? Involved in passing sequences? Making penetrating runs? Players can still be highly effective even if they aren't the ones getting the credit with the goal or the assist. But if they aren't seeing the ball, they are too isolated.

Which attributes affect the willingness of a centre back to attack a crossed ball on the defense? Not just the likelihood of a successful clearance, but the likelihood that he'll move in to try and clear it.

3 hours ago, Bigpapa42 said:

Well, your DLP is the main guy moving the ball about... how close are the AMR and AML to him in average position? The fact that you have shortened his passing means they may be out of range for where you are telling him to pass the ball. A CM as DLP on defend is gonna hang pretty deep, whereas the AMR and AML will be quite high.

That said, don't just go by the average rating. Are they getting touches? Involved in passing sequences? Making penetrating runs? Players can still be highly effective even if they aren't the ones getting the credit with the goal or the assist. But if they aren't seeing the ball, they are too isolated.

sorry I wasn't clear about something...my AMC is an AP.  so the DLP and AMC are working very well together.  But the AMR and AML aren't contributing much.    The new system has helped my possession and defense.  The goals and assists I've lost from the wingers, I've just traded for Gs and As from the CF, AMC, and DLP.  I'm just trying to claw back some of the production from my wingers.

but I'll take a look at the heat maps.  My AML is usually on support, so that shouldn't be a problem.  One other thing I might try is changing the DLP to the left CM from right CM, to get him a bit closer to the AML.

1 hour ago, Bunkerossian said:

Which attributes affect the willingness of a centre back to attack a crossed ball on the defense? Not just the likelihood of a successful clearance, but the likelihood that he'll move in to try and clear it.

Determination, Aggression, Bravery will govern his will to win and willingness to get stuck in.  Concentration, Decisions will help him decide when to do it and help maintain his focus for 90 minutes.  Positioning, Anticipation to help him be in the right place at the right time.  And Composure to help him deal with the pressure.

On the flip side, personally I don't really like too much Aggression in a centre back as I find it can encourage them to leave their position to close down an opponent a little too zealously.

On 9/26/2016 at 09:58, torehj said:

I`m having big problems on my left back. First halv of the season gone and 13 of 32 goal conceded is from crosses from my left side. My left back is still one of my best players, both in rating and in stars (7,45 and 4 stars). It looks to me like he is always too narrow in defence. Looks more like a CD when we are under attack.

On the other side we have only conceded 4 goals, but my right back is just 17 years old and really no good (6,66 and 2 stars).

I have tried different instructions on my left back, with no result. I play a 4123 with a inside attacker (support) in front of him.

Any ideas?

Does your right back have better support (in front and inside)?

Star ratings are (almost) meaningless, so maybe look to specific attributes that might be failing him as a defender. Match ratings are heavily influenced by attacking play.

12 hours ago, herne79 said:

Determination, Aggression, Bravery will govern his will to win and willingness to get stuck in.  Concentration, Decisions will help him decide when to do it and help maintain his focus for 90 minutes.  Positioning, Anticipation to help him be in the right place at the right time.  And Composure to help him deal with the pressure.

On the flip side, personally I don't really like too much Aggression in a centre back as I find it can encourage them to leave their position to close down an opponent a little too zealously.

I am having trouble with crosses, thus the question. My defenders are often too passive about a crossed ball into the box.

52 minutes ago, Bunkerossian said:

I am having trouble with crosses, thus the question. My defenders are often too passive about a crossed ball into the box.

Central Defenders are your last line of defence.  If you're having trouble with crosses, think about reducing the crossing opportunites.

3 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Central Defenders are your last line of defence.  If you're having trouble with crosses, think about reducing the crossing opportunites.

The thing is, not every cross can be prevented. In the league, where I allow my full backs more attacking movement, it often happens that the very first cross the opposition get in, after being dominated by me otherwise, results in a goal. I replay the goal- I see passivity from the defense and the GK. In Europe, I do far better at defending against the crosses.

28 minutes ago, Bunkerossian said:

The thing is, not every cross can be prevented

Of course, that would be unrealistic.

28 minutes ago, Bunkerossian said:

In the league, where I allow my full backs more attacking movement, it often happens that the very first cross the opposition get in, after being dominated by me otherwise, results in a goal. I replay the goal- I see passivity from the defense and the GK. In Europe, I do far better at defending against the crosses.

It sounds like you have already found an answer :).

2 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Of course, that would be unrealistic.

It sounds like you have already found an answer :).

I only use attacking mentality if I need to score urgently- I use Standard and Control usually- Counter is used in Europe. And having wing backs or attacking full backs should not affect the willingness of a CB to attack a crossed ball?

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 15:34, superdave said:

the problem is that I'm getting little or nothing from the AMR and AML.  My two main ones are young enough to still be improving, so that ain't it.  In particular, my AMR who has been great as a RMD is averaging about 6.8.  If I can get him back to the player he was last year (15 goals) then I'll have a good team.

Got a goal from my AMR and an assist from my AML in my two matches that I played yesterday, one a home match against 14th Arsenal and one a road match against #2 WBA.  So, maybe it was just a string of bad luck. :D

15 hours ago, Bunkerossian said:

I only use attacking mentality if I need to score urgently- I use Standard and Control usually- Counter is used in Europe. And having wing backs or attacking full backs should not affect the willingness of a CB to attack a crossed ball?

No, but it allows much more time for the wide player to get set and pick his spot for a better, more dangerous cross that's harder to defend.

Does duty affect a player's creative freedom? 

1 hour ago, Fosse said:

Does duty affect a player's creative freedom? 

Yes.  With all else being equal, typically speaking a role with a defend duty will have less creative freedom than the same role with a support duty, which in turn has less than the attack duty.

14 hours ago, herne79 said:

Yes.  With all else being equal, typically speaking a role with a defend duty will have less creative freedom than the same role with a support duty, which in turn has less than the attack duty.

Cheers

5 minutes ago, who_is_it said:

What's the best tactic to play like At. Madrid?

Have a quick search through the forum, there are threads about Atletico.

2 hours ago, who_is_it said:

What's the best tactic to play like At. Madrid?

Tbh it is very hard  to replicate Atlético. Without going into details take 2 main characteristics of Atlético.

1. Compactness - Vertical

In FM terms this means playing fluid/very fluid, but fluid also means more creative freedom. Even with "more disciplined" instruction your players will have higher CF than you would want/expect from your compact, aggressive, defensively minded team.

2. Compactness - Horizontal

You can play with minimal width, but the positioning of fullbacks is so bad (in FM16) that it will not remind you real life Atlético at all. IRL Atlético fullbacks staying a bit wider without possession in order to be able to press wide areas quicker (the opposition is funneled to wide areas because of very narrow midfield). The narrow midfield plays more like 4-2-2-2 which becomes 4-4-2 (but still with very, very narrow midfield) in Atlético's own half. This is also something very hard/impossible to replicate as you can only choose one defensive formation that can not morph into anything else. Bring back good old wibble/wobble!! :)

Edited by Los_Culés

1 hour ago, Los_Culés said:

Tbh it is very hard  to replicate Atlético. Without going into details take 2 main characteristics of Atlético.

1. Compactness - Vertical

In FM terms this means playing fluid/very fluid, but fluid also means more creative freedom. Even with "more disciplined" instruction your players will have higher CF than you would want/expect from your compact, aggressive, defensively minded team.

2. Compactness - Horizontal

You can play with minimal width, but the positioning of fullbacks is so bad (in FM16) that it will not remind you real life Atlético at all. IRL Atlético fullbacks staying a bit wider without possession in order to be able to press wide areas quicker (the opposition is funneled to wide areas because of very narrow midfield). The narrow midfield plays more like 4-2-2-2 which becomes 4-4-2 (but still with very, very narrow midfield) in Atlético's own half. This is also something very hard/impossible to replicate as you can only choose one defensive formation that can not morph into anything else. Bring back good old wibble/wobble!! :)

Thanks for explaining ;)

another question: how to find the weak points of the other team in the match?

Probably among the stupidest of stupid questions but lets go ;)

The "decisions" attribute.

I have a rough idea but, can people tell me, as specifically as possible, what it does on the pitch?

Also, is it more important for GK, defenders, midfielders, attackers? Or is its significance universal?

Cheers.

LR

For me, this is an important attribute for all players, but mostly for all, who create chances and also for strikers. It's a combination of intelligence and instinct. You get the ball, so what are you doing? It's something to decide within a second or two. There are "instinct" players who just do the right thing and there are intelligent players who just see the chance to make a trough ball, because one of the defenders is out of play. The top players will all have a high decision attribute - unless they are just at the right place at the right time all the time.

32 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

Probably among the stupidest of stupid questions but lets go ;)

The "decisions" attribute.

I have a rough idea but, can people tell me, as specifically as possible, what it does on the pitch?

Also, is it more important for GK, defenders, midfielders, attackers? Or is its significance universal?

Cheers.

LR

17 minutes ago, KUBI said:

For me, this is an important attribute for all players, but mostly for all, who create chances and also for strikers. It's a combination of intelligence and instinct. You get the ball, so what are you doing? It's something to decide within a second or two. There are "instinct" players who just do the right thing and there are intelligent players who just see the chance to make a trough ball, because one of the defenders is out of play. The top players will all have a high decision attribute - unless they are just at the right place at the right time all the time.

Just as an aside, the oft forgotten and much maligned FM16 Online Manual actually does a pretty good job in describing player attributes.

It doesn't go into completely detailed descriptions for all eventualities, but as a starting point it does well at providing a broad overview.  Here's what it says about Decisions for example: "The ability of a player to make a correct choice a majority of the time. This attribute is important in every position but perhaps more so for central defenders and midfielders, who will see a lot of the ball and have a number of options when in possession."

On 8/8/2016 at 18:01, alanschu14 said:

Some training questions I have!

I have a decent League One team with a promising young Center Back.  Scouting report says he's currently well suited for Vanarama National League.  He's 20 and I know playing time is important, but so is quality of competition.  So a few related questions if I may :)

1. If we were able to play an equal number of games in VNL or L1, would it be best to just keep him in L1 as he'd play against higher competition, or load him to VNL team where he'd also be more successful?  I guess reworded: does a player's form impact his growth compared to the quality of the competition?

2. Is the coach report for CA ("good player in Vanarama North/South") a good guide for what level I should loan players out to?  It sounds like loads of minutes against weak competition does very little for growing a player.

Thanks!

I don't think anyone ever answered this, but I'm curious as well. Regarding player growth, what is the relationship between games played / level of the competition, etc.?

Do touchline shouts actually do anything..? Am I just using them incorrectly? Anyone have any experience effectively using (or misusing) them in any noticeable capacity?

3 hours ago, Weston said:

Do touchline shouts actually do anything..? 

It wouldn't be in the game if it was just a placebo. Since it's a 'talk' from the sidelines while the players are fairly busy on the pitch having to worry about a game of football happening around them, it'll have much less of an effect than a 'normal' team talk, but still an effect though.