Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

2 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Of course, that would be unrealistic.

It sounds like you have already found an answer :).

I only use attacking mentality if I need to score urgently- I use Standard and Control usually- Counter is used in Europe. And having wing backs or attacking full backs should not affect the willingness of a CB to attack a crossed ball?

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 15:34, superdave said:

the problem is that I'm getting little or nothing from the AMR and AML.  My two main ones are young enough to still be improving, so that ain't it.  In particular, my AMR who has been great as a RMD is averaging about 6.8.  If I can get him back to the player he was last year (15 goals) then I'll have a good team.

Got a goal from my AMR and an assist from my AML in my two matches that I played yesterday, one a home match against 14th Arsenal and one a road match against #2 WBA.  So, maybe it was just a string of bad luck. :D

15 hours ago, Bunkerossian said:

I only use attacking mentality if I need to score urgently- I use Standard and Control usually- Counter is used in Europe. And having wing backs or attacking full backs should not affect the willingness of a CB to attack a crossed ball?

No, but it allows much more time for the wide player to get set and pick his spot for a better, more dangerous cross that's harder to defend.

1 hour ago, Fosse said:

Does duty affect a player's creative freedom? 

Yes.  With all else being equal, typically speaking a role with a defend duty will have less creative freedom than the same role with a support duty, which in turn has less than the attack duty.

14 hours ago, herne79 said:

Yes.  With all else being equal, typically speaking a role with a defend duty will have less creative freedom than the same role with a support duty, which in turn has less than the attack duty.

Cheers

2 hours ago, who_is_it said:

What's the best tactic to play like At. Madrid?

Tbh it is very hard  to replicate Atlético. Without going into details take 2 main characteristics of Atlético.

1. Compactness - Vertical

In FM terms this means playing fluid/very fluid, but fluid also means more creative freedom. Even with "more disciplined" instruction your players will have higher CF than you would want/expect from your compact, aggressive, defensively minded team.

2. Compactness - Horizontal

You can play with minimal width, but the positioning of fullbacks is so bad (in FM16) that it will not remind you real life Atlético at all. IRL Atlético fullbacks staying a bit wider without possession in order to be able to press wide areas quicker (the opposition is funneled to wide areas because of very narrow midfield). The narrow midfield plays more like 4-2-2-2 which becomes 4-4-2 (but still with very, very narrow midfield) in Atlético's own half. This is also something very hard/impossible to replicate as you can only choose one defensive formation that can not morph into anything else. Bring back good old wibble/wobble!! :)

Edited by Los_Culés

1 hour ago, Los_Culés said:

Tbh it is very hard  to replicate Atlético. Without going into details take 2 main characteristics of Atlético.

1. Compactness - Vertical

In FM terms this means playing fluid/very fluid, but fluid also means more creative freedom. Even with "more disciplined" instruction your players will have higher CF than you would want/expect from your compact, aggressive, defensively minded team.

2. Compactness - Horizontal

You can play with minimal width, but the positioning of fullbacks is so bad (in FM16) that it will not remind you real life Atlético at all. IRL Atlético fullbacks staying a bit wider without possession in order to be able to press wide areas quicker (the opposition is funneled to wide areas because of very narrow midfield). The narrow midfield plays more like 4-2-2-2 which becomes 4-4-2 (but still with very, very narrow midfield) in Atlético's own half. This is also something very hard/impossible to replicate as you can only choose one defensive formation that can not morph into anything else. Bring back good old wibble/wobble!! :)

Thanks for explaining ;)

another question: how to find the weak points of the other team in the match?

Probably among the stupidest of stupid questions but lets go ;)

The "decisions" attribute.

I have a rough idea but, can people tell me, as specifically as possible, what it does on the pitch?

Also, is it more important for GK, defenders, midfielders, attackers? Or is its significance universal?

Cheers.

LR

For me, this is an important attribute for all players, but mostly for all, who create chances and also for strikers. It's a combination of intelligence and instinct. You get the ball, so what are you doing? It's something to decide within a second or two. There are "instinct" players who just do the right thing and there are intelligent players who just see the chance to make a trough ball, because one of the defenders is out of play. The top players will all have a high decision attribute - unless they are just at the right place at the right time all the time.

32 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

Probably among the stupidest of stupid questions but lets go ;)

The "decisions" attribute.

I have a rough idea but, can people tell me, as specifically as possible, what it does on the pitch?

Also, is it more important for GK, defenders, midfielders, attackers? Or is its significance universal?

Cheers.

LR

17 minutes ago, KUBI said:

For me, this is an important attribute for all players, but mostly for all, who create chances and also for strikers. It's a combination of intelligence and instinct. You get the ball, so what are you doing? It's something to decide within a second or two. There are "instinct" players who just do the right thing and there are intelligent players who just see the chance to make a trough ball, because one of the defenders is out of play. The top players will all have a high decision attribute - unless they are just at the right place at the right time all the time.

Just as an aside, the oft forgotten and much maligned FM16 Online Manual actually does a pretty good job in describing player attributes.

It doesn't go into completely detailed descriptions for all eventualities, but as a starting point it does well at providing a broad overview.  Here's what it says about Decisions for example: "The ability of a player to make a correct choice a majority of the time. This attribute is important in every position but perhaps more so for central defenders and midfielders, who will see a lot of the ball and have a number of options when in possession."

On 8/8/2016 at 18:01, alanschu14 said:

Some training questions I have!

I have a decent League One team with a promising young Center Back.  Scouting report says he's currently well suited for Vanarama National League.  He's 20 and I know playing time is important, but so is quality of competition.  So a few related questions if I may :)

1. If we were able to play an equal number of games in VNL or L1, would it be best to just keep him in L1 as he'd play against higher competition, or load him to VNL team where he'd also be more successful?  I guess reworded: does a player's form impact his growth compared to the quality of the competition?

2. Is the coach report for CA ("good player in Vanarama North/South") a good guide for what level I should loan players out to?  It sounds like loads of minutes against weak competition does very little for growing a player.

Thanks!

I don't think anyone ever answered this, but I'm curious as well. Regarding player growth, what is the relationship between games played / level of the competition, etc.?

3 hours ago, Weston said:

Do touchline shouts actually do anything..? 

It wouldn't be in the game if it was just a placebo. Since it's a 'talk' from the sidelines while the players are fairly busy on the pitch having to worry about a game of football happening around them, it'll have much less of an effect than a 'normal' team talk, but still an effect though.

9 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

It wouldn't be in the game if it was just a placebo. Since it's a 'talk' from the sidelines while the players are fairly busy on the pitch having to worry about a game of football happening around them, it'll have much less of an effect than a 'normal' team talk, but still an effect though.

Any advice on maximizing impact / insight on the nuance to how it works?

Hi, a related question to the "play narrow" instruction. The player instruction is described as "asks the player to stay in the central areas of the pitch, either to exploit a weakness in the opposition or to consolidate defensively in a bid to keep the opposing threats on the periphery". So, the stay narrow for the player does works with and without the ball?

9 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Only that it stays in effect for around 10 minutes.

But I'm still confused as to what exactly the effect is. Is it an increase to motivation, an increase to decision making, or what? I always check to see how the players are feeling after I give one and it never seems to change.

Just now, Weston said:

But I'm still confused as to what exactly the effect is. Is it an increase to motivation, an increase to decision making, or what? I always check to see how the players are feeling after I give one and it never seems to change.

It's the same as a normal team talk. Why is it confusing?

As I said, it's not going to have a huge effect, but it does have one. It might not always be visible, but that doesn't mean that nothing happened.

If a player is completely complacent, you're not going to turn that around, for instance. However, if he's just slipped into a complacent state of mind as time went by, you have a chance. 

44 minutes ago, PonjaConRulos said:

Hi, a related question to the "play narrow" instruction. The player instruction is described as "asks the player to stay in the central areas of the pitch, either to exploit a weakness in the opposition or to consolidate defensively in a bid to keep the opposing threats on the periphery". So, the stay narrow for the player does works with and without the ball?

Are you talking abut the Player Instruction called "Sit Narrower"?  If so, it's under the section titled "When team has the ball...", so it's primarily related to when you are in possession.

The knock on effect for when you are defending is that if your player is sitting narrower when in possession, they'll transition slightly quicker into their default compact defensive shape.

The description could be clearer.

26 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Are you talking abut the Player Instruction called "Sit Narrower"?  If so, it's under the section titled "When team has the ball...", so it's primarily related to when you are in possession.

The knock on effect for when you are defending is that if your player is sitting narrower when in possession, they'll transition slightly quicker into their default compact defensive shape.

Herne, can you shed some light why was the "play wider" player instruction removed from the central players ? Was it conflicting or redundant with "roam from position" ?

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

Yes, I was talking about that. Thank you

Usually my RB and LB have similar defensive stats.  But every once in a while, when I check in on my team stats, one of them will have 6 interceptions at 30 minutes and the other will have one.  So clearly the opposition is exploiting that flank.  So what I want to do is try to take advantage of that my a combination of clearing to that flank (which is impossible) and have my striker shade toward that side, since the other team's FB is upfield, so my striker is 1v1 against a CD.

what can I do to make this happen?  What are some other ideas on how to exploit a team that's lopsided?

20 hours ago, Weston said:

I don't think anyone ever answered this, but I'm curious as well. Regarding player growth, what is the relationship between games played / level of the competition, etc.?

In the time that I've played my not super scientific analysis thinks it might be advantageous to do things in steps.  I'm still not 100% sure how much form has an impact, beyond ensuring that they actually play (I had some players playing on a loanee's U21 team which wasn't ideal of course)

I had a 17 year old that was fairly decent that I picked up from Spain.  After a year in VNS I brought him up to play on my CH league roster.  Obviously he got a good amount of "Training helped by playing much higher competition/match experience."  He had lower CA (around 100) and many of my players had 115-125, so it made sense from a CA perspective.

Interestingly, though, he was no longer getting the "playing higher competition" once he hit around 115 CA and had been on the team a few years.  His growth certainly hadn't stagnated, but I brought in a fresh transfer that had a CA of 120 and after a few games he was getting the "Training helped by match experience" message again.  Some of my players though, that had 130ish CA, had messages saying that their training would be helped if they played tougher competition.  I just got promoted to Premier League, and unsurprisingly every one of my players is getting the feedback that training is helped by higher level competition.

My hypothesis is this:

• There is a max CA where you definitely have training resulted undermined because of lower competition
  • The "higher match experience helping training" isn't based on CA, but rather how new they are to the competition level.  So while it won't hurt their growth as they are still getting first team experience against relevant competition, there is an expiry date on any boost to training as a result of now playing against tougher competition.

So I think it may have been beneficial for faster growth if I had maybe loaned him out to some L2/L1 teams for a season before bringing him up to my team.  That said, he was almost my best striker and would still get lots of minutes splitting time with a 32 year old while he was 19 years old.  I'm not at all upset with his growth rate during his time on the big club.

As for form, it *did* seem like he grew the most his last year (which didn't have any stated "training improved playing higher competition") message, but he did have his best season (as did the rest of the team as we won CH league.  But there's a lot of variables at play that could impact that:

• The team was better, which might mean he simply touches the ball more
  • Better team leads to better form, leading to faster growth
  • Better form and team performance improves morale, which maybe impacts training
  • Over the previous 4 seasons I had improved my training facilities. I can't remember if I did on the very last year, but it'd certainly impact things over the 4 years I was in CH league.
  • Coaches may have improved some too
  • Maybe also just some luck for how the growth happens
  • Some combination of the above! :D

16 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Only that it stays in effect for around 10 minutes.

Additionally I have noticed people comment "felt the team talk was repetitive" so you probably shouldn't go "Encourage" every 10 minutes.

I think it works a lot like mini-half time talks.  If my team is good and we need a goal, it does feel like I have had decent success getting more aggressive play when I assertively/aggressively demand more, which I consider similar to "I was not impressed with that half" comments which can often "fire guys up."

4 hours ago, who_is_it said:

Is the individual instructions must be compatible with the teams instructions?
Exp: I asked to do a pressing (ind. instruction) and less pressing ( individuals instructions), it is wrong?

I imagine it comes down to individual people but I'd argue that it's fine to do that.  In fact, most roles have specific player instructions assigned to them (e.g. Advanced Forward will always try to get forward, they'll just do it in a less aggressive way when you are defensive than if you are set to attacking)

I just got promoted to English Premier League and tend to play a very defensive tempo which cuts down on risky passing, reduces width, slows down tempo etc..  But I have a really solid center midfielder.  I just have him set to play support role, but I give him the instruction to get forward more and to shoot more and to try more creative passing to help supplement our offense when we do have the ball.

It's useful because as a team I want us to be patient, but it lets me counteract some of that with my better players so I can ensure they keep playing to their strengths, even if it might seem weird to tell a player "press more" when you're telling the team "press less."  The Player Instruction just means "do more/less of this thing than you normally would under our current team instructions."

21 hours ago, Weston said:

There's a really interesting article from Strikerless https://strikerless.com/2016/08/01/emulating-la-masia-07-first-team-action/ He makes an experiment with 5 regens and gives them different game action (first team, reserves, youth, loan) to know which one is better for development. All of the Emulating La Masia articles are really good and you should read them if you're interested in youth development. 

21 hours ago, PonjaConRulos said:

There's a really interesting article from Strikerless https://strikerless.com/2016/08/01/emulating-la-masia-07-first-team-action/ He makes an experiment with 5 regens and gives them different game action (first team, reserves, youth, loan) to know which one is better for development. All of the Emulating La Masia articles are really good and you should read them if you're interested in youth development. 

Cleon rather correctly points out a lot of the flaws with that in the comments section. (Looks like he can't stay away! XD) 

Though my own concerns are the CA/PA settings, the training plan and so on. I'm not convinced with his experiments just yet.

On 10/2/2016 at 01:40, mikcheck said:

Hello,

Can a  F9 and Deep Lying Forward attack be a good combination for striker partnership?

In my experience I usually try to have one striker that plays more forward if I have two, but it could very well work.

I'm still figuring out the spacing aspects myself, but you'll probably still want to make sure you have some forward players like Inside Forwards on the wings and whatnot.  I often play with 1 or 2 IFs with my solo F9 striker.  If you do it with, say, a 4-4-2 it's possible too many of your attacks will come from distance, but it'd probably also be a setup that has shorter passes and might help with possession?

Guys, maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way but it is really troubling me and I would appreciate some clarification.

Offensive Mentalities: more risk, more urgency to get to the goal but we are told that players at the back will use more short passing;

Defensive Mentalities: less risk, less urgency to get to the goal but we are told that players at the back will more direct / long passing;

Now, when there's more risk due to mentality then I would assume players would try to go for more risky passes by increasing its length; and when there's less risk due to mentality I would assume players would reduce their passing length. Heeeelp !

Just now, pedrosantos said:

Guys, maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way but it is really troubling me and I would appreciate some clarification.

Offensive Mentalities: more risk, more urgency to get to the goal but we are told that players at the back will use more short passing;

Defensive Mentalities: less risk, less urgency to get to the goal but we are told that players at the back will more direct / long passing;

Now, when there's more risk due to mentality then I would assume players would try to go for more risky passes by increasing its length; and when there's less risk due to mentality I would assume players would reduce their passing length. Heeeelp !

Typically I find I get shorter passes with more defensive mentalities, but if I pay a bit closer attention it's probably the way that you describe (the defensive players doing the opposite).

I think there's a concept of once the possession is kind of "established" where my defensive line will still look to pass shorter, but while facing pressure there is definitely a large element of risk to keep possession of the ball where, if you lose possession, you've now created a 1 on 1 against your GK.

That said, when I give my goalie the PI to do short passes to the FBs, my defenders still tend to do shorter passes.  In that sense I think possession has been established and the other team is largely in their defensive shape. As such the defensive line now have a bit more room to move around and pass.  Probably also has some wing/midfield support too.

2 minutes ago, alanschu14 said:

Typically I find I get shorter passes with more defensive mentalities, but if I pay a bit closer attention it's probably the way that you describe (the defensive players doing the opposite).

I think there's a concept of once the possession is kind of "established" where my defensive line will still look to pass shorter, but while facing pressure there is definitely a large element of risk to keep possession of the ball where, if you lose possession, you've now created a 1 on 1 against your GK.

That said, when I give my goalie the PI to do short passes to the FBs, my defenders still tend to do shorter passes.  In that sense I think possession has been established and the other team is largely in their defensive shape. As such the defensive line now have a bit more room to move around and pass.  Probably also has some wing/midfield support too.

I understand your argument and it also might have to do with that, but when looking into things "by the book" - recomendations from the moderators, box descriptions in FM - it gets confusing when I say to my players "come on lads, we have more urgency to get a goal" and my back players are using short and simple passes. And the same for the opposite, a kind of "lads, there's no rush, take your time" and my back players go for a direct passing :eek:

9 minutes ago, pedrosantos said:

More risk with shorter passing at the back because there is more risk the defenders might lose the ball in a dangerous area.

Less risk with longer passes at the back because defenders are simply looking to clear their lines and get the ball away from the danger zone.

52 minutes ago, herne79 said:

More risk with shorter passing at the back because there is more risk the defenders might lose the ball in a dangerous area.

Less risk with longer passes at the back because defenders are simply looking to clear their lines and get the ball away from the danger zone.

Okay, that makes sense :thup: but what about the urgency factor ?

47 minutes ago, pedrosantos said:

Okay, that makes sense :thup: but what about the urgency factor ?

Part of that is going to be directed by tempo as well, which Attacking is definitely higher.  So even if they are doing "shorter passes" they are possibly still doing those passes pretty quickly and whatnot.  If urgency is the utmost importance, it might be useful to accent the push with further tempo increases and a more direct passing game.  It might not make much of a difference for your forwards that are already pushing things, but could return your defensive line to look for deeper passes too.

In my still limited experience, I have had what seems like some success increasing Closing Down and Get Stuck In, which would also convey a sense of urgency if your tempo is already high.  Players will close down quickly on the ball carrier and look to tackle them.  Of course, unskilled/dirty players could make it a foul/card risk.

Edited by alanschu14

3 minutes ago, alanschu14 said:

Part of that is going to be directed by tempo as well, which Attacking is definitely higher.  So even if they are doing "shorter passes" they are possibly still doing those passes pretty quickly and whatnot.  If urgency is the utmost importance, it might be useful to accent the push with further tempo increases and a more direct passing game.  It might not make much of a difference for your forwards that are already pushing things, but could return your defensive line to look for deeper passes too.

In my still limited experience, I have had what seems like some success increasing Closing Down and Get Stuck In, which would also convey a sense of urgency if your tempo is already high.  Players will close down quickly on the ball carrier and look to tackle them.  Of course, unskilled/dirty players could make it a foul/card risk.

Okay, they move the ball around more quickly. I know there's a good probability I'm making a mess out of this inside my mind, maybe because I'm linking urgency with passing length and then thinking if the urgency is greater and utmost importance my back guys should be hoofing the ball forward instead of playing a short first touch passing. Hummm, although when increasing tempo, the passing bar also increases. I'm going back there for a while and punish myself for complicating things.

2 hours ago, pedrosantos said:

Okay, they move the ball around more quickly. I know there's a good probability I'm making a mess out of this inside my mind, maybe because I'm linking urgency with passing length and then thinking if the urgency is greater and utmost importance my back guys should be hoofing the ball forward instead of playing a short first touch passing. Hummm, although when increasing tempo, the passing bar also increases. I'm going back there for a while and punish myself for complicating things.

Hahaha yeah I notice that many of the Team Instruction changes have knock on effects for the other parts so simply upping the tempo might push your pass threshold high enough that the defenders are going deep.  Or you can focus on just changing the passing bar as well.

I've learned from the forum to not change too much at once though and think that's good advice!  If I was going to experiment I'd probably go with upping the tempo first and seeing how your defenders move the ball.  If you like what you see then you're probably good!

Can anyone explain what difference it makes, if for examle a DLP(d) is placed in the defensive midfield strata or in the central midfield strata? The example could also be a AP(a) in the central midfield strata versus in the Attacking midfield strata.

Im aksing since mostly you see 4-3-3 (4-2-3-1) formation with a midfield trio triangle (either defensive or offensive), but rarely with a flat midfield trio.

Edited by Rhazmuz

2 hours ago, Rhazmuz said:

Can anyone explain what difference it makes, if for examle a DLP(d) is placed in the defensive midfield strata or in the central midfield strata? The example could also be a AP(a) in the central midfield strata versus in the Attacking midfield strata.

Im aksing since mostly you see 4-3-3 (4-2-3-1) formation with a midfield trio triangle (either defensive or offensive), but rarely with a flat midfield trio.

Player positioning in your formation is simply about your defensive formation.  With all things being equal, a DLP at DMC vs a DLP at MC will tend to drop a little deeper in defence, and so have a slightly lower starting point when beginning the attack.  The same can be said for an AP at MC vs an AP at AMC, or anything else for that matter.

The formation you see is your defensive formation.

Based on what I see in  this subforum's FAQ and a lot of threads here, when players complained about training it is most likely due to their personality.

However, I have some questions that I am not so sure on.

1. If these players complained that the work they are assigned are not beneficial, should I change their training routine? Or could I continue it?

2. When a player of better personality than the aforementioned players also complained about the same thing, should I change his routine too?

3. I tutored a young player with a senior player with a Resolute mentality, 15 Determination and Play Mind Games, Reserved listed as his Media Handling style. If, halfway through the tutoring session, say, the tutee (the player you tutored with the senior player) gained Resolute mentality, 15 Determination and Reserved media handling style, would it be okay to cancel the tutoring session altogether? Or would it be wise to see off the remaining of the tutoring session? If I stop it now, would it have a side effect on the tutee?

Sorry if I asked too much, I am simply clueless when it comes to training and tutoring. Thank you

7 hours ago, EHB87 said:

Based on what I see in  this subforum's FAQ and a lot of threads here, when players complained about training it is most likely due to their personality.

However, I have some questions that I am not so sure on.

1. If these players complained that the work they are assigned are not beneficial, should I change their training routine? Or could I continue it?

2. When a player of better personality than the aforementioned players also complained about the same thing, should I change his routine too?

3. I tutored a young player with a senior player with a Resolute mentality, 15 Determination and Play Mind Games, Reserved listed as his Media Handling style. If, halfway through the tutoring session, say, the tutee (the player you tutored with the senior player) gained Resolute mentality, 15 Determination and Reserved media handling style, would it be okay to cancel the tutoring session altogether? Or would it be wise to see off the remaining of the tutoring session? If I stop it now, would it have a side effect on the tutee?

Sorry if I asked too much, I am simply clueless when it comes to training and tutoring. Thank you

1. It's up to you, you're in charge not your players.  Have a look at their training page, see for yourself if training is beneficial. If it is, ignore them.

2. See 1.

3. So long as the tutee has taken on all the personality traits (and/or PPM) that you are after, then yes you could.  The only benefit is to free up your tutor to allow him to start tutoring someone else sooner.