Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

I like the light-hearted personality myself. What you have to keep in mind is that while the two players you have listed have great attributes and are indeed the better of the four, even though they are light-hearted personalities, is that not all of the attributes that are good are part of the personality description. With Resilient and Resolute, you know that the attributes that go into those personalities will be good, while with light hearted, they don't have to have good ratings in all of the desirable attributes. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks Dr Hook. Yes, it took me two, three times to read it but I finally understood your point.

In a lone striker formation, especially when you already have 2 attackers (aside from your counter setup) I would use a withdrawn forward role. A DLF(A) might answer for you as he will link up with your midfield and play it off to the wide men or your surging CM, but he'll also make runs into the box. I've used the CF also, but I didn't like how it played for me as a lone striker either.

Thks for the help Dr. Hook,

I've try your sugestion, but i ended with a DLF(s) + move into channels PI.

For what i could see, in a support role the forward links better with the CM(a).

I also changed the IF(a) to a support role, and now even with the Control mentality i play with both WB with attack duty.

The IF(s) seems to be more open to play in a support role, perhaps because he can get more space because he is further away from the box in the early stage of the play.

Thks for the help Dr. Hook,

I've try your sugestion, but i ended with a DLF(s) + move into channels PI.

For what i could see, in a support role the forward links better with the CM(a).

I also changed the IF(a) to a support role, and now even with the Control mentality i play with both WB with attack duty.

The IF(s) seems to be more open to play in a support role, perhaps because he can get more space because he is further away from the box in the early stage of the play.

Excellent, glad you found a better solution. The DLF(S) is a nice role for a lone striker also, and I like putting the IF onto support also- good thought!

Is it possible to create a fairly generic wide attacking midfielder role? I like to use width in by 4-2-3-1 in order to give by Advanced Playmaker as much space as possible. When I use 2 wingers this is when by AP is most effective.

However, I don't really want 2 wingers hugging the touch line and swinging crosses into the box. On one side I'm looking for something like how James Milner plays when he is out wide. Someone who is a wide outlet, but not someone to run at the defence or put crosses in. A winger role then where it's possible to switch off the hard coded PI dribble more and cross more?

Is it possible to create a fairly generic wide attacking midfielder role? I like to use width in by 4-2-3-1 in order to give by Advanced Playmaker as much space as possible. When I use 2 wingers this is when by AP is most effective.

However, I don't really want 2 wingers hugging the touch line and swinging crosses into the box. On one side I'm looking for something like how James Milner plays when he is out wide. Someone who is a wide outlet, but not someone to run at the defence or put crosses in. A winger role then where it's possible to switch off the hard coded PI dribble more and cross more?

The wide midfielder is very customizable. The downside, of course, is that he doesn't play in the AM strata if that is necessary for you. On the other hand, it is perfectly possible to get them playing more forward on attack. Alternatively, you might look at the wide playmaker, but it does have the disadvantage of attracting the ball per the playmaker role. Still, it would be more to what you are looking for, I think. There is no Wide AM role that suits exactly what you want.

I've read how the 4123/4141 is better for retaining ball possession whereas the 4231 is better at using possession but from my FMT test save, I've found that actually the 4231 has been giving me a higher average possession % than the 4123/4141. I'm trying to achieve an average of 60% possession with the 4123 and have tried various different roles, team shapes, mentalities, TI's and even different teams (German Bundesliga) altogether but it just isn't happening. This may sound stupid but do FMT saves have any negative influences like the lack of team talks? Can this affect possession numbers in any way?

I've read how the 4123/4141 is better for retaining ball possession whereas the 4231 is better at using possession but from my FMT test save, I've found that actually the 4231 has been giving me a higher average possession % than the 4123/4141. I'm trying to achieve an average of 60% possession with the 4123 and have tried various different roles, team shapes, mentalities, TI's and even different teams (German Bundesliga) altogether but it just isn't happening. This may sound stupid but do FMT saves have any negative influences like the lack of team talks? Can this affect possession numbers in any way?

No. Remember that on FM possession is calculated with time on the ball and not the amount of passes.

No team talks and the absence of them in FMT just simplify tactics and you should be able to test a lot of things out there.

Hmm, I'm not sure why the 4231 seems to be giving me higher possession numbers than the 4123, no matter what changes I make.

Yeah I've tried a lot of those yet the 4231 still retains possession better for me from what I've tested. Maybe it's to do with the league that I'm testing it in? I have tried various different teams with better players but still find the 4231 retains possession better.

If you are really stuck with the 4123 you could always open a new thread, post your detailed tactical set up and say what you are trying to achieve. Someone may be able to give you a fresh pair of eyes so to speak.

However, there is useful possession and then there is possession for the sake of it. When giving yourself a goal along the lines of "I want 60%+ possession", exercise a little caution in case you start to slip over the edge into the latter.

Yeah I've tried a lot of those yet the 4231 still retains possession better for me from what I've tested. Maybe it's to do with the league that I'm testing it in? I have tried various different teams with better players but still find the 4231 retains possession better.

Is it actual possession though or is it a case of the 4231 being more aggressive and winning the ball back quicker? This would make it seem like you have better possession because possession = time and not passes. Hence why a 4231 is better for higher pressing games.

Does anyone know of a thread that helps with subtle changes needed to play away. I have worked as a football analyst and trained to level 3 cert with the FA but still i can't work out a way of adapting to play away from home. seeing if there is anything blatant i am missing just wondering if there is a thread i can read through?

I'm getting fed up of conceding goals to these:

Goal mouth scrambles

1 defender stepping up playing opponent onside

1 defender stepping up, when marking a player but leaving opponent goalside.

Players not tackling, then fouling in the Area.

Regardless of instruction this happens, any fixes.

game after game last season, was spoiling the experience, when you dominate the game for 80+ minutes and concede late to this, or dominate go 1-0 up and concede to these, usually from their first attack or corner.

oh and once again, corner kick, and free kick into the area, defenders are not functioning.

speaking of 4-2-3-1, opponent playing it away from home and out playing my 4-2-3-1 is getting stupid, season 1 it was fine, now season 3 its getting stupid that I cant play how I wish, season 2 I had to drop defencive line deep because of the above defending brainfarts, I have no faith in pressing at all, as players either ignore it, or when you press the AI just string 25-30 passes together and score anyway.

I had an instance where I had an instruction to close down and press a winger, next thing that happens, that same winger is running down the line, my Left back, who could and should close him down, goes towards the area... and low and behold, a cross and a goal concede.

I have no instructions over ruling, so the instruction isn't getting followed.

I'm getting fed up of conceding goals to these:

Goal mouth scrambles

1 defender stepping up playing opponent onside

1 defender stepping up, when marking a player but leaving opponent goalside.

Players not tackling, then fouling in the Area.

Regardless of instruction this happens, any fixes.

game after game last season, was spoiling the experience, when you dominate the game for 80+ minutes and concede late to this, or dominate go 1-0 up and concede to these, usually from their first attack or corner.

oh and once again, corner kick, and free kick into the area, defenders are not functioning.

speaking of 4-2-3-1, opponent playing it away from home and out playing my 4-2-3-1 is getting stupid, season 1 it was fine, now season 3 its getting stupid that I cant play how I wish, season 2 I had to drop defencive line deep because of the above defending brainfarts, I have no faith in pressing at all, as players either ignore it, or when you press the AI just string 25-30 passes together and score anyway.

I had an instance where I had an instruction to close down and press a winger, next thing that happens, that same winger is running down the line, my Left back, who could and should close him down, goes towards the area... and low and behold, a cross and a goal concede.

I have no instructions over ruling, so the instruction isn't getting followed.

Apologies if this sounds flippant, but what's your question?

are there any fixes to this defender stupidity?

Probably, but without seeing your detailed tactical set up and examples of the exact issue you are having, nobody can answer that question.

However, this isn't a forum for venting, it's a forum for discussion and help. If you'd like to calm down and make a considered post that would actually help us to help you, then you may get some.

Sometimes my highlights show my team continually holding the ball too long when there are clear, easy options for passes. It's not due to PI; it'll be several players I see do that.

Is the fix to change to a higher tempo, change to dribble less, or retain possession? I'd guess it's higher tempo by process of elimination. 1. The problem isn't overdribbling, it's over-holding. 2. To me, "retain possession" means being more willing to pass the ball around in the middle third, rather than looking for the high risk/high reward pass into the attacking third.

As a side note, does the company put out a (for want of a better word) translation guide? I'm an American and used to American tactical wording, so oftentimes I look at my various options to get my team to play like I want and can't figure out which option to pick. My question here is a good example of the problem. "Stop dawdling on the ball everyone" isn't one of my choices!

are there any fixes to this defender stupidity?

Now that he mentioned it, a question.

szfsg.jpg

ykdgc.jpg

jcfpf.jpg

mmxkr.jpg

Why on Earth would a Full back on Support in a back five track down Rodriguez (Southampton MR) here? Definitely not 1 on 1 situation, but it is happening almost every match. If it's tactics, I'd like to try and correct it. I am playing Defensive+Fluid, TIs: Higher tempo and Work ball into box, while Blind's instructions are shown here.

He doesn't track down Rodrigues? The ball is played and initially he moves forward, I'm guessing just to cover the space like he will due to no-one occupying it. It actually looks like he is supporting the number 7 player and giving him protection. (and playing fluid doesn't really help this type of situation either) The initial screenshot aside he isn't tracking anyone, and actually drops back but stays central as that's where the danger is and he's already engaged in play albeit from a little distance away.. For me you're focusing on the wrong players. The real question should be, why aren't the number 7, 16 and 28 attempting to get the ball back a lot earlier? These make the Blind situation seem worse than it is but Blind isn't at fault, it's what happens in front of him that's the issue.

I'd expect #5 to cover that space, since I'm using a back 5, certainly not Blind. Had #5 left his position, his area would be partly covered by Blind and #4. It's illogical, because Blind covers the space that is already covered (as it should) by someone else. He also has Hold position, and yet he leaves whole side unmarked for a diagonal pass.

As for Fluid, I would ditch it, but without it, my attacks totally lack creativity.

I'd expect #5 to cover that space, since I'm using a back 5, certainly not Blind. Had #5 left his position, his area would be partly covered by Blind and #4. It's illogical, because Blind covers the space that is already covered (as it should) by someone else. He also has Hold position, and yet he leaves whole side unmarked for a diagonal pass.

As for Fluid, I would ditch it, but without it, my attacks totally lack creativity.

Why would you expect 5 to cover something that he is instructed not to do? I mean, he's a normal defender on defensive team mentality which means he has low closing down. So realistically he isn't going to cover that amount of space due to how you've instructed him to play. If you want him to cover that space then you need his set to a stopper.

And again, Blind leaves his side due to the others and especially your midfield not doing anything to deal with the initial threat. It's a domino effect. Blind wouldn't do this if someone else did the job. And having hold position doesn't mean much, as that's how far he strays from his start position in attacking phases mainly. When he hasn't got the ball, closing down takes over.

Blind also has quite low closing down, and left-central area in front of penalty box isn't really his area, but 5's. As a matter of fact, I don't want anyone to step forward, but invite pressure. Any ideas on midfield, then?

Blind also has quite low closing down, and left-central area in front of penalty box isn't really his area, but 5's. As a matter of fact, I don't want anyone to step forward, but invite pressure. Any ideas on midfield, then?

The whole point of using a back 5 or back 3 is so the spare man can deal with these situations. If not then there's no real point in using a back 3 or 5 as you're restricting yourself and wasting players by having them sitting around doing nothing. You can see this in your screenshots. 5 players all marking who? 1 opposition striker. That's 4 wasted players straight away. Then when Rodrigues does get the ball, you have 8 players behind the ball marking 3 people yet noone of them actually make an attempt to win the ball. Having numbers back is great but only if there being useful and not sitting around doing nothing like in all the screenshots above. What's the point in having these players in defensive situations is no-one is taking responsibility and attempting to win the ball? You either need to use a different mentality, one that isn't so limiting and is more proactive. By that I mean your shape is naturally defensive, so you don't need to be defensive mentality wise either you can afford to be more forward thinking without sacrificing anything really. As defensive mentality makes closing down even lesser than normal etc and you don't really need to be this passive do you? Or mess around with roles/duties so players actually offer you a variety of different things rather than all of the back 5 basically doing the same thing. Personally I'd use the roles and duty distribution better and try and find the right balance for what you are creating.

Now that he mentioned it, a question.

ykdgc.jpg

The most obvious thing here that I would want to see is to have your #7 or #28 close down Rodriguez.

If #7 closes down then Blind is clear to pick up their #2 FB bombing on down the wings, but better still is to have #28 close down Rodriguez and have #16 (Carrick?) pick up the marking of their #28.

Look at their duties. Even with a system that invites pressure onto your defense you need a certain amount of closing down being done up the pitch.

Guys, because I love to play with a dlf, what is most important attributes for him? Strong and taller rather than dribbler and passing minded? Thanks

Guys, because I love to play with a dlf, what is most important attributes for him? Strong and taller rather than dribbler and passing minded? Thanks

Go to the player attributes screen, click on Deep Lying Forward. Important attributes will be highlighted and will give you a good starting point.

How does the tempo of play change how the players are on the field? And a more precise question, does the fastest tempo of play mean the players will try and pass the ball of as quickly as possible?

as once again the flow of the game changes do to conceding yet another goal from a goalmouth scramble

can someone explain how AI hoof the ball away, yet I use 3 different tactics and the same result: (one downloaded)

when corner is cleared, its booted to flank (not set to do so either) crossed back in again from the guy who collects, and pings around the box before being scored, unless of course this doesn't happen directly.

AI rarely concedes to this and 9/10 hoofs ball away directly to their player.

I want my players to:

A: stop conceding soft corners/throw ins in the first place

B: clear ball to my player

as once again the flow of the game changes do to conceding yet another goal from a goalmouth scramble

can someone explain how AI hoof the ball away, yet I use 3 different tactics and the same result: (one downloaded)

when corner is cleared, its booted to flank (not set to do so either) crossed back in again from the guy who collects, and pings around the box before being scored, unless of course this doesn't happen directly.

AI rarely concedes to this and 9/10 hoofs ball away directly to their player.

I want my players to:

A: stop conceding soft corners/throw ins in the first place

B: clear ball to my player

I've already given you an answer on what we need to help us help you.

There's a 25 year old on my shortlist. Hs contract is running out in a month. I got a news item that his club has chosen not to retain him.

What is the process for signing him to a precontract? I've looked all over and can't find it.

There's a 25 year old on my shortlist. Hs contract is running out in a month. I got a news item that his club has chosen not to retain him.

What is the process for signing him to a precontract? I've looked all over and can't find it.

You're better off asking in the General Discussion forum, as this is for Tactics and Training only :).

Can i set up (or how do i set-up) my wide players to play as wingers when the ball in on their side, but act as inside fowards positionally off the ball when the ball is on the opposite flank?

Is it actual possession though or is it a case of the 4231 being more aggressive and winning the ball back quicker? This would make it seem like you have better possession because possession = time and not passes. Hence why a 4231 is better for higher pressing games.

Passes wise they are about the same, the 4123 is no higher here either.

you have to use Wide Midfielder to fully customize wide player behaviour. Then in your case makr winger PI's: dribble more, cross more often, cross from byline+ Run wide with the ball+ Sit Narrower :)

I have a query, or a ramble more like. (Yay, I'm back etc =p)

I think my biggest weakness, outside of getting things to work at times, has been figuring out how to set up a coherent midfield.

I feel like I'm verging on too cautious, -I was going to post this on Cleon's counter attacking thread but it seems to have been killed off. :(

Basically, my set up is kind of a modern 4-4-2. We have a flat(ish) back four - WB/S, CB/D, CB/D, FB/A - which is simple enough and it works well defensively, can't really argue there.

Sitting in front of it, is an Anchorman, because balls over the top kinda sucks, and I don't want a deep playmaker here because in my head the modern 4-2-3-1's of the day and even the 4-1-4-1's attack primarily through the middle, so really he's just there to lock things down.

The full midfield then is this: A/D, CM/S, AP/S, W/S.

Then the 'strikers' is actually an IF/A coupled with a DLF/S

The mentality set up is just a plain 'counter' mentality on fluid along with no instructions, though I'm always tempted to plug for 'play out of defence' in order to cut out some of the more direct defensive aspects of the counter mentality.

Now, I might be a bit of a hypocrite here, I've already identified that modern formations go down the middle, and what do I do? I focus my own stuff down the middle! >_<

So, what issues have I identified?

The DLF is wildly inconsistent, but the IF/A-DLF-CM combination works a treat, -sometimes-. The winger and Full back on the right offer something different, wide-play, and I picked a W/S on the past experience of wingers getting into the box quite often, plus with the anchor man I'm not too worried about the full back bombing on. In fact, it is a joy to watch.

My weak area is the left wing, but that's expected, that's part of the formation, and is partially why I've gone with a CM/S and WB/S to lock the area down. I *want* that wing back offering width there and exploiting the space the IF opens up, and I put him on support because I don't want him doing it willy-nilly, I don't have a double-pivot lockdown here, so I'm erring on the side of caution.

My problem then is the AP/S. Here's the rub, I *want* a playmaker in that general area, the idea being that he should have passing options all around him, but not necessarily always ahead of him; (the CM, the Winger, the full back, the forward, the onrunning IF, hell even the anchor man), in fact watching the playmaker play is a joy, except I think sometimes he's far too cautious and far too deep for his own good. One of the other major problems I've seen is the giant gap of the midfield to the attack, because of the counter mentality, we defend deep, and when we counter it is a joy to watch, but against teams that sit deep, I find the DLF doesn't always drop deep enough, or the midfield doesn't quite push up high enough.

Or maybe it's I need more people getting forward? I'm unsure, and yet I'm not sure I want to do a radical overhaul because the tactic is unbeaten so far, defensively solid, just half and half attacking-wise.

So my idea is, to swap the forward for a False 9 and to change the AP to be a roaming playmaker for more mobility in the middle, but I half-wonder if I should be more pragmatic and I should be more aggressive and go for a CM/A? It's a conundrum for sure. Does anyone have any thoughts that they could give to make me think of it from a different angle?

I seem to have "lost" both the latest scores and league table widgets ..... I have them ticked but they don't show anywhere on the match screen.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Cheers

you have to use Wide Midfielder to fully customize wide player behaviour. Then in your case makr winger PI's: dribble more, cross more often, cross from byline+ Run wide with the ball+ Sit Narrower :)

This directed at my question yau?

Just like to ask which duty of the defensive forward is similar to the positioning of the DLF when without the ball?

Passes wise they are about the same, the 4123 is no higher here either.

Why would this be?

Hi,

Quick question

In my current tactic, 4123DM Wide Formation, i usually start the games playing with a Control mentality.

In this tactic i have 4 players with attack duty (both wingbacks, one midfielder and one inside forward).

My question is, if i decided to play more defensive i change my mentality for Counter during the game can i still mantain the players with the same duties (4 on attack, 3 on defend and 4 on support)?

In terms of the ME, what happens if i play with a defensive team mentality and 3 or 4 players with attack duty?

Hi,

Quick question

In my current tactic, 4123DM Wide Formation, i usually start the games playing with a Control mentality.

In this tactic i have 4 players with attack duty (both wingbacks, one midfielder and one inside forward).

My question is, if i decided to play more defensive i change my mentality for Counter during the game can i still mantain the players with the same duties (4 on attack, 3 on defend and 4 on support)?

In terms of the ME, what happens if i play with a defensive team mentality and 3 or 4 players with attack duty?

When you change Mentality, team mentality changes (as you know). However, it also changes individual player mentality.

If you are happy with the balance of roles in your Control tactic, there's no real reason (generally speaking) why that balance shouldn't remain if you change down mentality - everyone will just be less attack minded. However, that's generalising therefore it's always worth watching what happens in the match when you do change mentality just in case there is a need to make a further adjustment elsewhere.

Thks Herne,

Another question regarding training and PPM.

Ok, let's take for example the Inside Forward with support duty.

This player have the following PI's hardcoded:

- Dribble more

- cut inside with ball

- More risky passes

- cross less often

Do you guys make this player to learn the PPM to cut inside from the flank and to try killer balls often?

I ask this because, if we make him learn the PPM's that fit the role, i think that he could ended playing a very onedimensional style of football, while for example if i train him to hug the touchline and cross more often the style of football that would result from his PI's + PPM's would be more vary.

This could be one of those question where there is no right answer, but just curious to know what you usually do:

Train the PPM's that fit the players instruction role, or train PPM's that make the player do things different from the role he's playing.

Hello guyes, how would you asses a player performance in a match according to his rate, I mean anyone 6,5 is not good, 6.6 -7.2 average, 7.3 +good? Thanks

Thks Herne,

- Dribble more

- cut inside with ball

- More risky passes

- cross less often

Do you guys make this player to learn the PPM to cut inside from the flank and to try killer balls often?

I ask this because, if we make him learn the PPM's that fit the role, i think that he could ended playing a very onedimensional style of football, while for example if i train him to hug the touchline and cross more often the style of football that would result from his PI's + PPM's would be more vary.

This could be one of those question where there is no right answer, but just curious to know what you usually do:

Train the PPM's that fit the players instruction role, or train PPM's that make the player do things different from the role he's playing.

There's no harm to training a player with those PPMs, and then playing him as a Winger (for example). He'll still have the tendency on occasion to Cut Inside, however his basic role will still be "Winger".

Hello guyes, how would you asses a player performance in a match according to his rate, I mean anyone 6,5 is not good, 6.6 -7.2 average, 7.3 +good? Thanks

That's very subjective. Some people won't like seeing anything less than 7.0, others are quite happy with lower scores. Technically the game averages out player ratings at around 6.0 (even lower if I remember correctly), but again that is perhaps lower than some people are comfortable with. Anyway, so long as your players are actually doing what they are supposed to be doing on the pitch, their ratings are irrelevant.

In the last 8-9 games I score 1 goal, maybe in two games I scored 2 goals. I have only victories, but I don't understand why it is not possible to score more. I don't change anything to may tactic. In first games I scored 4-5 goals, bit after that came this series with only 1 goal per game. My supporters are unhappy with my style of play, but I dominate, I have the possesion and a lot of occasions. My team is Ebbsfleet in Vananarama South. The team is very good for that division. Suggestions?

Thks Herne,

- Dribble more

- cut inside with ball

- More risky passes

- cross less often

If it helps i actually did this and the player in question just does what he wants now. Is exactly what i wanted and works really well as he is very unpredictable. Was an inside forward but managed to get at least 10 assists from the byline getting outside the fullback.

In the last 8-9 games I score 1 goal, maybe in two games I scored 2 goals. I have only victories, but I don't understand why it is not possible to score more. I don't change anything to may tactic. In first games I scored 4-5 goals, bit after that came this series with only 1 goal per game. My supporters are unhappy with my style of play, but I dominate, I have the possesion and a lot of occasions. My team is Ebbsfleet in Vananarama South. The team is very good for that division. Suggestions?

I can only generalise as there are no details here however, if you go on a good run of form opponents tend to tighten up against you. So, after a while you may find goals (and even wins) are harder to achieve.

Is that what is happening to you? No idea as without specific detail relating to your system it's impossible to be prescriptive, but I'd start by looking at how opponents are now playing against you.