Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Guest El Payaso
13 is low for a side challenging for the league and Champions League though, which I assume you are? Having close down less on De Rossi might not help though as he has the stays back at all times PPM. He might be being too passive.
Cheers again Cleon for the rapid answer.

You probably are right but is it really necessarily for every midfielder to know how to defend well? The thing I would like on that midfield trio is that De Rossi would be there just in front of the centre backs so that we have a triangle to stop through balls and the other two would be trying to get the ball back. With default setting it would more often than not be De Rossi who is chasing the ball and there is a huge gap for for example AMC to operate in. So De Rossi the disciplined one and other two more closing down...

I could of course be starting both Strootman and Nainggolan but the thing is that someone also needs to attack and create. Where do I fit Pjanic then?

I wasn't suggesting you got hit on counter attacks. It was more about the two of your players not being great at positioning themselves correctly. This actually gives a lot of weight to what you're saying here. Slower build up play will make this more noticeable because they have to reposition several times, compared to a faster more direct style of play which tend to result in the player just tracking back. But on slower plays when the player has to move a lot and position himself several times during the same move then you can tend to notice if someone is good at it or not. More often than not, someone will leave a gap or not position himself where he should be.
Good point this is. I will be looking at this in next games.
Just remember though, that when he does this it leaves you exposed because he isn't fast enough to regain his standard position quickly enough.
I don't see this being a problem for my team as we rarely concede on those occasions where De Rossi needs to get back. Good point though. I'd rather have him doing something in terms of goals and assists than just having zero goals and maybe one or two assists per season if I would use him as DLP. Yes the goals and assists don't tell the truth but I want to see something concrete from good players you know? :)
But all three of those players are doing a similar thing, i.e moving to attract the ball and team mates are looking to pass to them more due to them being playmakers. Normally when a playmaker passes the ball on, they tend to make them available for a pass again rather than push on and be aggressive going further afield. You should see this happening if you've watched a game, the playmaker passing the ball then checking his run, dropping deeper or going to the side rather than pushing on.
This is correct and this is what I am seeing. Something like MC(A) on Pjanic is a thing I have been considering as MC(A) basically is a creator but also makes aggressive forward movement which is what we need from the midfield as we have a creator also in AMC position.
We talking real life now? That's all good and well but how is that helpful with your gaming issues? Plus a DLP's and AP's play differently to a RPM, REG and ENG. Plus Barca used those roles because they had players able to utilise their creativeness. This is the area you currently lack I believe. Too many creators and no-one creating/using space wisely.
Maybe it is a bit off to compare my team to the best midfield trio of all time. I stand corrected. :)
The fact that he's stopped scoring and producing isn't an issue? You said he was scoring before but now isn't. So surely that's an issue? Having him on attack doesn't stop him doing those risky passes though, his decision making is what determines how often and frequently he does them. I still think he's better suited using his pace from deeper areas even if he was scoring goals before. Teams will be sat deeper now against you compared to before. Gervinho isn't clever or technical enough to make space for himself. It also means if the opposition is sat deep there is no space for him to get behind into. By having him deeper you would actually be utilising his pace and even though he's mentally a disaster, running at people with the ball at your feet causes all kinds of issues. It's hard to defend against.
Did I write Gervinho? :o I believe I wrote Nainggolan and he is who I mean. Gervinho has been solid especially lately. He was looking awful at first half of first season but after that surprisingly consistent and performed better than Salah.

To get back to Nainggolan I was thinking that I finally had someone like Lampard scoring regularly when I got 8 goals in half of a season but after that he went missing. I know he isn't really a world class goalscorer but he seemed to work just fine at some point: getting inside the penalty area and scoring but he just changed his style at some point and didn't make those runs anymore.

Would employing "look for overlap" do any good for me? I know it mainly helps in wide areas but could it help also on Salah/Gervinho linking better with Pjanic and Nainggolan as they would hold the ball more.

Also if I employ dribble less, will it have any influence on players with tendencies to run with the ball often (as a PPM) and also having those IF roles that have run more hard-coded?

Why?. In fact you could argue there is less chance of being caught offside when he has longer to time his runs and movement.
I think it is easier for defenders to play him offside when they have the time to regroup. If the IF is forced to search for breakthrough for a long time on shoulder of the defender it is both harder to find the gap and also easier for the full back to mark him and to use the offside trap. At least IRL.
You could just leave them default without going narrower or stay out wide. IF's are like strikers when you attack anyway by default. When you make them sit narrower when all the play you have already comes from the middle, this means when they receive the ball they're too narrow to be useful and have nowhere to really cut inside to. Where can he realistically run? He has to go back out wide or hope for a mistake from the opposition. You want him using the space between defender and fullbacks. But by having him narrow you're actually telling them to play more closer to the centreback meaning when he runs forward he's running towards the centreback rather than the space between him and the fullback. It's easier to defend against. This wouldn't be as much of an issue if you didn't have 3 central creators but this makes you very narrow in attacks at times.
I can try this but the narrowness is a thing I also want as I want them to be playing themselves through on goal by making one twos with the creators in the middle. A bit what Barca often do at the edge of the area. I think that the PPMs aren't doing any good on this though as basically both Gervinho and Salah are more of a runners with the ball instead of "pass and move" type of players and this might be a reason why this isn't working.

I will try these tips of you. Thanks a lot and if you have any more ideas, feel free to add them. Not looking any tactic made by someone, just trying to learn using this FM system. It is so much easier to employ IRL. :D

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry is my replies seem a bit arsey, I don't mean them to be. I'm just trying to understand your thinking etc :)

You probably are right but is it really necessarily for every midfielder to know how to defend well?

No but it is essential your midfield compliment each other and is balanced, if not you have the issues you currently face yourself having :). It seems you want to be aggressive with bringing the ball out from the back and have all three midfielders involved yet aren't prepared for the downside of playing this way. There is nothing wrong playing this way but if you do, then you have to accept it's part of how you play.

In fact I had this issue myself and I wrote about it somewhere in this thread;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/445500-The-Art-of-Possession-Football

But it didn't bother me because what I got going forward was worth it. It all comes down to risk vs reward though.

I don't see this being a problem for my team as we rarely concede on those occasions where De Rossi needs to get back. Good point though. I'd rather have him doing something in terms of goals and assists than just having zero goals and maybe one or two assists per season if I would use him as DLP. Yes the goals and assists don't tell the truth but I want to see something concrete from good players you know? :)

Exactly the same reasons I accepted the faults in the thread I linked :)

Did I write Gervinho? :o I believe I wrote Nainggolan and he is who I mean. Gervinho has been solid especially lately.

My apologies I took what you wrote the wrong way. I thought when you said he had 13 goals but was playing like a winger, that he had stopped scoring.

To get back to Nainggolan I was thinking that I finally had someone like Lampard scoring regularly when I got 8 goals in half of a season but after that he went missing. I know he isn't really a world class goalscorer but he seemed to work just fine at some point: getting inside the penalty area and scoring but he just changed his style at some point and didn't make those runs anymore.

Is it a case of him who went missing or the way the team is playing that prevents it? What I mean is, it's not unrealistic to assume the three central playmakers you use are bypassing him with the ball due to them being playmakers and players more biased to pass to those roles rather than the BBM. Maybe one or more of them are actually detracting from his game. I'd explore those options more than the player no longer making the runs. I think it will all link back to the Reg/RPM and ENG being the issue somewhow. Exactly how I'm not sure without seeing a game. But I honestly think the issue lies here and would explore it more.

Would employing "look for overlap" do any good for me? I know it mainly helps in wide areas but could it help also on Salah/Gervinho linking better with Pjanic and Nainggolan as they would hold the ball more.

No I'm not sure it would be of any use for you.

I can try this but the narrowness is a thing I also want as I want them to be playing themselves through on goal by making one twos with the creators in the middle.

I get what you're saying here but I believe this is the reason your IF's act like wingers. It's from the fact they get pushed outwide because they already start moves from inside. Normally you'd expect IF's to move from outside to the inside. By telling them to sit narrower you might be forcing them outwide because that's where the space is because they're starting in the positions they normally run into.

I think that the PPMs aren't doing any good on this though as basically both Gervinho and Salah are more of a runners with the ball instead of "pass and move" type of players and this might be a reason why this isn't working.

It certainly isn't helping the style you want :D

I will try these tips of you. Thanks a lot and if you have any more ideas, feel free to add them. Not looking any tactic made by someone, just trying to learn using this FM system. It is so much easier to employ IRL. :D

No worries glad to help. I prefer discussions like this where we discuss ideas and issues. It gives you food for thought instead of saying 'do this or that' and not explaining why. It's better if you come up with the solutions yourself by being questioned like I'm doing :)

If I have a team with the worst passing stat in my league (based on the team comparison break down), should I play a shorter passing game or a more direct style?

In isolation it means nothing. Set the passing based on the overall style you're trying to create.

Guest El Payaso
Sorry is my replies seem a bit arsey, I don't mean them to be. I'm just trying to understand your thinking etc :)
Don't get that feeling at all so no problems.
No but it is essential your midfield compliment each other and is balanced, if not you have the issues you currently face yourself having :). It seems you want to be aggressive with bringing the ball out from the back and have all three midfielders involved yet aren't prepared for the downside of playing this way. There is nothing wrong playing this way but if you do, then you have to accept it's part of how you play.
Yep there are of course down sides in the style of play I try to find and I understand it. The thing just is that (like I said) that it's really not common that we are caught by the fact that so many midfielders are far up the pitch. I am though thinking of chances as Totti really isn't doing anything anymore. So what I might employ now is that I have De Rossi still as a creative force down the DM position and in front of him I use the dynamic duo Nainggolan and Strootman: both to make attacking contribution and help in defense as Sabatini has really made my wide area vulnerable by only giving me Florenzi and Willems as full backs: neither of them is good at defending and both are more than happy to get forward. Maybe BBM and MC (s) for the duo to balance things but still making the contribution going forward. Pjanic can be the creator in AMC spot and I feel that either Treq or Engance might suit him as his strenghts are in creativity and passing and down sides are on off the ball movement and physicality. Totti can cover and Dzeko will hopefully be sold...
Is it a case of him who went missing or the way the team is playing that prevents it? What I mean is, it's not unrealistic to assume the three central playmakers you use are bypassing him with the ball due to them being playmakers and players more biased to pass to those roles rather than the BBM. Maybe one or more of them are actually detracting from his game. I'd explore those options more than the player no longer making the runs. I think it will all link back to the Reg/RPM and ENG being the issue somewhow. Exactly how I'm not sure without seeing a game. But I honestly think the issue lies here and would explore it more.
I haven't been paying too much of attention to this lately as I have reverted to extended highlights. :( I think the problem also with him is that he has the "shoots from distance" PPM which makes him too hasty with the ball instead of him playing one twos with the AMC. He isn't really the greatest of finishers and even though he gets still decent amount of decent chances, he isn't using them too well.
I get what you're saying here but I believe this is the reason your IF's act like wingers. It's from the fact they get pushed outwide because they already start moves from inside. Normally you'd expect IF's to move from outside to the inside. By telling them to sit narrower you might be forcing them outwide because that's where the space is because they're starting in the positions they normally run into.
I have gone back to the default settings with IFs. Salah has been decent this season and I now have Ljajic back from loan to use on right side, just need to get him fit after injury. He is more suited to the style of play as he is quite intelligent and has good PPMs. Gerson is also an option for me to the right side, maybe start Advanced playmaker training for him as I want him to be good passer of the ball along with those important pace and dribbling attributes.
No worries glad to help. I prefer discussions like this where we discuss ideas and issues. It gives you food for thought instead of saying 'do this or that' and not explaining why. It's better if you come up with the solutions yourself by being questioned like I'm doing :)[/QUOTe]At the moment I might give this a couple of days of break as I am about to cry on our style of play at the moment. Especially the full backs are a pain as they cannot defend at all and Sabatini decided that he wants also Cancelo to the team so another youngster to the defensive line with inability to defend. :D Also my centre backs: Castan (slow and bad aerially), Zapata (error prone and only decent), Manolas (great all round but unsettled and not performing). Gives me early grey hairs playing multiple games per day. I hope that my idea of using both Strootman and Nainggolan will help this a bit.

E: Decided to play one more game, just on key highlights though so cannot tell anything comprehensive on that. We won Napoli 2-0 away and on those goals and all 4 CCCs we got we played quite a bit in a way I wanted to: the midfield linking up really well as Pjanic and Strootman acted as the providers and Nainggolan got to right position three times I think. Should have scored more goals but this looked encouraging compared to matches before.

The set-up now was:

GK: Rulli SK(D)

DL: Willems FB(S)

DR: Florenzi FB (A)

DC: Castan and Manolas DC(D) (close down much less)

DM: De Rossi RG(S) (close down less, mark tighter, man mark on Hamsik)

MCR: Nainggolan BBM(S) (pass shorter, shoot less often) * Has PPM to get forward whenever possible

MCL: Strootman CM(S) (roam from position, pass shorter) * Has PPM to get forward whenever possible

AMC: Pjanic AM(A) (more risky passes, ease off tackles)

AML: Ljajic IF (S) (get further forward, roam from position)

AMR: Gérson IF (A) (roam from position)

Gérson scored both. First from a Ljajic pass from corner of the penalty area, defensive error but nice finish.

Second one from a set of play where Pjanic dropped a short pass behind him to Strootman and Nainggolan made good overlapping run to get through on goal and laid the ball for Gérson that got a tap-in.

E2: seemed to be one off. I am giving up on this game as I cannot make it with this style of play. The defensive line is just so vulnerable that it hurts to watch it.

In isolation it means nothing. Set the passing based on the overall style you're trying to create.

Thanks Cleon

Posted this in my own thread but no one was replying so I thought I'd ask here

How feasible is it to play a direct type of football with a high line and a lot of closing down?

I'd really like to see my players to play more direct football, but I don't have the pace to play counterattacking football from our own half and my defenders definitely don't have the mentals to handle playing deep. I read on guidetofootballmanager.com that if I wanted to play direct football with a target man (I have a few) that it's better to play higher up the pitch so that the big TM is always in the box.

Is this correct? How would I set up the tactic with regards to mentality and fluidity? I worry about there not being enough chances created other than a winger/fullback crossing the ball into the box. What other avenues of attack are there with this sort of setup? Does anyone have a real life example of a team that play like this?

What mentality is best to use away from home with a mid-table club? I'm Sunderland (FM15) in my second season and we are doing well at home where I can take the initiative with an attacking mentality and usually overcome teams quite comfortably but away from home its a different matter. I try to be a bit more conservative when we are on our travels and maybe go with the counter or defensive mentality but nothing works and its really ******* me off. Against the top teams no matter whether I go defensive or even contain we seem to be 3 or 4-0 down at half time ffs.

What mentality is best to use away from home with a mid-table club? I'm Sunderland (FM15) in my second season and we are doing well at home where I can take the initiative with an attacking mentality and usually overcome teams quite comfortably but away from home its a different matter. I try to be a bit more conservative when we are on our travels and maybe go with the counter or defensive mentality but nothing works and its really ******* me off. Against the top teams no matter whether I go defensive or even contain we seem to be 3 or 4-0 down at half time ffs.

That's not how mentality works, one isn't better for home games and one better for away games. It all depends on what you've created and the style of football you play. It doesn't matter if you are a mid table side, top side or a relegation battler, all mentalities can work. They are just structures you use as a base.

The key thing to remember is against top sides they will attack you, this means they give us space for your side to use. So even if you have a bad tactic the chances are you'll still score and create because creating space is done for you. Against the weaker sides though creating space and movement relies on you, so this is where bad tactics or unbalanced ones get caught out.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for a simple training guide?

I've never really done it before but feel it could benefit me a lot if I did a little run through of trying to improve certain players attributes for the roles they would have.

Think the most I've ever done before is training to the role they would have in my team.

Should i trained "Avoid to use weaker foot" or "Attemp to develop weaker foot" ? It seems very ambiguous on this matter :/

Unless you really want your player to play with 1 foot(like a real winger who hugs the line or someone who always cut in), I don't think avoid using weaker foot ppm is that useful. It will make him kinda of 1 dimensional.

I've never really done it before but feel it could benefit me a lot if I did a little run through of trying to improve certain players attributes for the roles they would have.

Think the most I've ever done before is training to the role they would have in my team.

http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/training

http://www.footballmanagerblog.org/2015/02/fm15-hints-and-tips-training.html

This explains how it works;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380395-Ajax-When-Real-Life-Meets-Football-Manager-FM14

and this highlights the new changes in FM16;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/442638-Important-FM16-Training-Changes

How much attention should you pay ton tactic screen Assistant Managers role ability stars? Perfect example for me is Manuel Lanzini. Natural as an AMC but accomplished as a CM and his best role is classed as an Advanced Playmaker,. If you play him as a AP in the AM slot he has 4 stars which is fine but if you play him as an AP in the CM strata the stars drop to 1 even though the suitability for that role and duty is high.. He plays well enough there and as I say is an accomplished CM so is there really any point in the star rating?

Thanks Cleon,

I've read the Ajax TIPS one before last year I think but I was never fully into the game like I am now so will give it a proper read again. I know that this is mostly aimed at youth players, would you still apply the same logic to a senior player with the training focus on attributes on rotation (obviously you can't expect much progress if they are older so could I be more suited to making them train the specific role in the team?).

Reason I ask is, I have a save as Ipswich and it is still early days, but because I can't really afford to sign anyone I am tempted to try and push my current first team as far as I can and improve them in specific areas to suit their role in my tactic.

I'm in my first season with Cagliari in the Serie B and after a good first half of the season results have been dropping. It feels like my players are unable to finish chances and my defenders are prone to errors. I have started tinkering with my tactics and changing them game to game trying to get a decent result. If I use a counter-attacking tactic I struggle to create chances since teams usually sit quite deep against me. If I try to play a slower, attacking game focusing on possession I also struggle to create and finish chances. If I go more direct I get around 65% passing accuracy, which is not what I'm aiming for. I suspect there might be something rotten with my tactics and I'd appreciate some input.

I usually go with a 4-2-3-1:

FB(S)-CD-CD-FB(A)

AP(S)-CM(D)

W(S)-AP(S)-IF(S)

CF(A)

My instructions vary because I'm trying out different things but I tend to stick to the basics not to restrict player freedom.

Are my problems caused by a lack of attacking duties? I tend to go (S) because it feels like they are too selfish and rash without it. My team is also very prone to conceding goals in the second half for some reason.

I would like to play a attacking tactic that actually scores goal with possession at around 55-60%. Any tips?

A quick question regarding attacking players on a support role: How much should I be expected them to drop back into space in the attacking midfield strata?

I currently am playing a 4-4-2 formation, with a AF(A) paired with a TM(S). Considering the relative positions of the players on the tactical screen I would expect the TM(S) to take up a position closer to the midfield, but this is not often the case. The average position shows both players are taking up positions at a similar height up the pitch. This seems to happen equally if I use a DLF(S) - which I find odd.

Two things it could be due to. I have a structured shape, could this added structure be preventing the supporting attacker dropping in deeper. Second, a BBM(S) is behind him, could it be that the BBM being programmed to run into the AM strata when in possession is over-riding the supporting attacker dropping deeper. Or I am completely misreading what to expect from support strikers?

A quick question regarding attacking players on a support role: How much should I be expected them to drop back into space in the attacking midfield strata?

I currently am playing a 4-4-2 formation, with a AF(A) paired with a TM(S). Considering the relative positions of the players on the tactical screen I would expect the TM(S) to take up a position closer to the midfield, but this is not often the case. The average position shows both players are taking up positions at a similar height up the pitch. This seems to happen equally if I use a DLF(S) - which I find odd.

Two things it could be due to. I have a structured shape, could this added structure be preventing the supporting attacker dropping in deeper. Second, a BBM(S) is behind him, could it be that the BBM being programmed to run into the AM strata when in possession is over-riding the supporting attacker dropping deeper. Or I am completely misreading what to expect from support strikers?

Support strikers will drop about as deep as you are seeing them, so they are working as they should. The one role that I have seen come as deep as you want is the F9, and then a DF on defend duty will come a bit deeper as well.

Not really sure if this is a bug or a result of poor decision/other attributes?

The two culprits is Okore (13 in decisions) and Silvestri (14 in decisions)

EDIT: Silvestri plays as Sweeper Keeper Defend, Okore is plain Central Defender Defend.

The reason of asking here, is merely because of not wanting to make a bug report, if it's not a bug :)

75048c0adb0599b7fd0bc19c5df0cc9d.gif

Jazz - that's a nasty bug. Okore stops because he expects Silvestri to gather / clear the ball. Then it all goes bad :)

Please log it in the Match engine section of the bug forum, and upload the .pkm from the match:

http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/505-Match-Engine-Issues

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/437124-Reporting-a-Match-Engine-Problem

Jazz - that's a nasty bug. Okore stops because he expects Silvestri to gather / clear the ball. Then it all goes bad :)

Please log it in the Match engine section of the bug forum, and upload the .pkm from the match:

http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/505-Match-Engine-Issues

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/437124-Reporting-a-Match-Engine-Problem

Will do :thup:

Don't know just thought sitting deep to absorb the pressure then break quickly would be effective.

The defensive line in a counter mentality is pretty deep to begin with, so even if you push it higher up it will still be a deep line. Even at the highest I think it will be somewhere around standard for a base or a bit more and given the mentality of the strategy you will still have players behind the ball to launch a proper counter. Consider too, that many (if not most) are started from your own half, so if the opponent has the ball in your third, your deep line is going to be deep regardless of your mentality setting :)

Support strikers will drop about as deep as you are seeing them, so they are working as they should. The one role that I have seen come as deep as you want is the F9, and then a DF on defend duty will come a bit deeper as well.

Excellent, I shall have a play around with these roles! I did not want to bang my head against a brick wall trying to do something I cannot with a striker! I am guessing that I should be playing 4-4-1-1 rather than 4-4-2 to acheive what I want! Cheers.

Is it possible to train multiple tactics at once?

Can these be trained alongside each other? Or do you need to specify which one take priority?

You can have three at any one time, and they all get worked on together.

You can have three at any one time, and they all get worked on together.

Had a feeling that was possible but I know that if you select match training on the training screen it always defaulted to whichever tactic I was currently using... that confused me :)

Cheers

Had a feeling that was possible but I know that if you select match training on the training screen it always defaulted to whichever tactic I was currently using... that confused me :)

Cheers

Yeah, it just defaults to the first one being trained, but its a drop down box and will show you all three (if you have three) when you hover over it

How is this even possible? I had such great tactics with Everton. We let 4 goals in in 19 games and lost one. And i rotated these 3 depending och opponent.

I hit a bad form under the spring and never came back. This year i just cant get a break, they score all the time and i dont know what to do. How much do u need to change a tactic? And three of them cuz noone is working, and they worked so well last season and with the same team, and its a good team, maybe overperformed a little last year and came 2nd. But this is just absurd:)

Just want som tips on how to think in this case.

EDIT: And i cant even score. Even how great my chances are

How is this even possible? I had such great tactics with Everton. We let 4 goals in in 19 games and lost one. And i rotated these 3 depending och opponent.

I hit a bad form under the spring and never came back. This year i just cant get a break, they score all the time and i dont know what to do. How much do u need to change a tactic? And three of them cuz noone is working, and they worked so well last season and with the same team, and its a good team, maybe overperformed a little last year and came 2nd. But this is just absurd:)

Just want som tips on how to think in this case.

EDIT: And i cant even score. Even how great my chances are

What you are asking is impossible to answer here in this thread. Please read the stickied tghread at the top about asking for help and create a dedicated thread and you will get the assistance you are looking for.

How close are FBa and WBs in the same position? The former has Cross more often locked and my players in those positions seem to just waste possession by sending pointless balls when there are better passing options available.

I am looking at signing a couple of youngsters, one has a professional personality, one is a complete role model. Both for both players my scout says that we have an ambitious group of players and these players would have to adapt to fit in.

I have two questions:

For training are professionalism and ambition additive, i.e. will the players low ambition take away the value of his professionalism? Or to put it another way, will a player who is both professional and ambitious develop more than a player who is just professional?

Secondly, is it possible to tutor this player with anyone other than a model professional or perfectionist? I have an ambitious squad, if I take an ambitious player to tutor the youngster, his ambition would go up, but his professionalism would go down? Right?

Thanks

I am looking at signing a couple of youngsters, one has a professional personality, one is a complete role model. Both for both players my scout says that we have an ambitious group of players and these players would have to adapt to fit in.

I have two questions:

For training are professionalism and ambition additive, i.e. will the players low ambition take away the value of his professionalism? Or to put it another way, will a player who is both professional and ambitious develop more than a player who is just professional?

Secondly, is it possible to tutor this player with anyone other than a model professional or perfectionist? I have an ambitious squad, if I take an ambitious player to tutor the youngster, his ambition would go up, but his professionalism would go down? Right?

Thanks

Question 1: The answer is yes- ambitious and professional is the best combo.

Question 2: His professionalism might drop a bit if the player is less professional, yes. It might be worth the risk if the tutor still has a good professionalism rating.

How close are FBa and WBs in the same position? The former has Cross more often locked and my players in those positions seem to just waste possession by sending pointless balls when there are better passing options available.

They aren't far apart. The wingback plays a bit higher up the pitch and is a bit more adventurous going forward in terms of starting mentality. The wingback will probably offer a bit more going forward (all things being equal) but the fullback a bit more defensively. As for your observation, the wingback attack also has cross more often as part of the role, so it isn't any different in that regard.

Set Pieces - you can setup up to 3 for each of the following

- throw ins (DEF & ATT)

- free kicks (DEF & ATT)

- corners (DEF & ATT)

how many are used in a match?

I always assumed if you had more than one setup then the taker would decide which free kick routine to run.

I have since seen in the forum that only one routine can be used in each match

Is it one routine then?

or multiple?

cheers

Is that a must for a WB-FB to has good pace and acceleration ? I'm trying to build a defensive squad, but it seems that every good FB-WB who are quick and technical are lack of height and jumping reach :-?

A lot of them are smaller guys, yeah, but what a must is for any position is down to you and what you aiming at in your style of play and your opponents. I have a couple of FB/WBs currently that have good height and jumping reach and it is useful but I'd rather they had pace to get up and down the field fast as much running as they do :)

Thanks for the reply Dr Hook. I do have a follow up question. I don't see complete role model listed on the various personality guides. When a scout says a player is a complete role model for younger players, what does he mean in terms of the various personality traits?

Thanks for the reply Dr Hook. I do have a follow up question. I don't see complete role model listed on the various personality guides. When a scout says a player is a complete role model for younger players, what does he mean in terms of the various personality traits?

Right, that is a description not a personality type. I don't know exactly what goes into that to be honest, but since it is fairly rare to see, I would make an educated guess that it is a player with high professionalism, ambition, and perhaps some others like high pressure, sporting temperament, low dirtiness. What personality type is it that is giving you this scout message?

Hi.

I was wondering if someone could give me a review with tips of the posted tactic setup below?

My aim is to play out from the backline (short distribution), retain possession at a lower tempo to try to control the game... I am a little bit unsure if my two CM are to defensive, but since i have set my AM to support i thought it would be the best option.. I am considering changing the AM to an AP, where the AP will get an Attack duty... Then it maybe best to change the CM to support, right?

(the pictures show Man City, but iam playing as Arsenal and want to utilize Ozil best. I thinki will achieve this by letting him be an AP attack).

I also have fairly narrow width, and slightly deeper D-line... Maybe the best option for me to achive my goals is to push the D-line up higher on the pitch?

My aim for the offensive part, is that the AM,RMD and IF can create som havoc, with my FB right offer an option to overlap my IF... Regaring my settings to retain possession, maybe that will not happen to often?

My choice for an CF i am also unsure about, i am rotating between CF and AF at the moment...

I have played some games on comprehensive, and for the most part i like what i see. At times it seems the forward cannot find good passing options, and sometimes he seems a bit alone... Maybe a push up of the D-line will compress our team more.

6q8w0DC.png[/iM[img

]Ts9s3FU.png[/img]G][img

][/img]

]duERSTg.png[/img]

Hi.

Attacking

I would say the RMD-A and CF-A probably don't suit your slow, short, lower risk style. They are looking to make forward runs behind, but who's going to supply it when you've told them to play safer, shorter and more patient?

Personally I would say Lower Tempo + Shorter + Retain Possession + Play Out of Defence + Work Ball Into Box is too much.

Because of these two things you could:

1. Change the roles and/or duties to support so they contribute to the possession and transition.

2. Drop some of the instructions so your forward runs have a threat before your opponent has dropped deep.

D-Line:

I really don't like deeper D-line with such an offensive formation and no DM. The gap between MC and DC will be pretty big so easy to exploit. I think with so many advanced players it needs pressing, if the only option is to kick it over your d-line and you have a good sweeper keeper and defenders who can defend space thats perfect for you. If you have Mertesacker having to turn and chase it then its going to be a weakness.

Central Mid:

I think you could afford to change your DLP-D to DLP-S, he will still hold but will get closer to the box.

My player is a model professional, it was just the scouts wording that makes him a complete role model. It looks like the only difference between a model professional and a professional is 1-2 points of professionalism. So given the comment "that we have an ambitious group of players and this player would have to adapt to fit in" he has 20 professionalism and likely single digits in ambition.