Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Maybe it's been asked and answered already but I would like to know the following:

What is the default roaming set to when neither "Roam From Positions" or "Stick to Positions" is selected as TI/PI and none of the following roles are chosen - CWB, RPM, RGA, BBM, RMD, CF? Would it be correct to assume that in that case none of the other roles have players Roaming? Then what does "Stick to Positions" do to players with non-roaming roles and players with roaming roles?

I hope it's clear what I'm asking and making sense....:D

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jean thanks for your reply.

Sorry, i didn't get it. You said they could be in each other way or not really?

Thaks.

It can work fine. I have often used a CM(A) on the same side as an IF(A) in a 4-3-3 and didn't see any problems with it. A lot, as always, depends on how you've set up around them and the players themselves. It can work, however, so you might as well give it a shot. As for the RD, he will drift wide a lot, so not a lot of even potential problems with the CM(A).

Maybe it's been asked and answered already but I would like to know the following:

What is the default roaming set to when neither "Roam From Positions" or "Stick to Positions" is selected as TI/PI and none of the following roles are chosen - CWB, RPM, RGA, BBM, RMD, CF? Would it be correct to assume that in that case none of the other roles have players Roaming? Then what does "Stick to Positions" do to players with non-roaming roles and players with roaming roles?

Well, try it. I would say the Action and Roaming Radius is very limited ;) With Very Structured and everything stick to position you will have a very stationary tactic i guess ^^

I know this is an often asked question but I always forget the answer... Does the 'width' option in team instructions alter your side in the attacking or defensive phase? Or both?

The description in-game suggests it's regarding when you have the ball but it's not very clear.

I know this is an often asked question but I always forget the answer... Does the 'width' option in team instructions alter your side in the attacking or defensive phase? Or both?

The description in-game suggests it's regarding when you have the ball but it's not very clear.

When you have possession.

I don't feel this deserves its own thread but I'm looking for some advice. I've been having tons of fun with this system, as it started as a possession based thing but I was bored, so decided to make some major changes as I wanted a more aggressive style of football with playmakers transitioning the ball forward or breaking pattern with killer balls against high lines. Now though, I find myself at a crossroads, despite the results being great, I want to tempt faith and change the role of the left wing back, from support to attack. He does make runs forward and participate a lot in the final third already, but I'm finding myself greedy and want him to do even more, at the same time, my two centre back's will most likely be ****ed. I guess what I'm asking is, should I do it and change the Regista to a role that protects the defense more, should I risk it all and change the left wingback to attack and leave everything else as it is, or should I just not give in to my temptations and let it be?

m0rpWUa.png

Why not try it in a match and see what happens? Wait till you have a game against an inferior opponent so you don't get torn up by someone you need points over, and watch a half. You'll see fairly quickly if what you fear is coming to pass, or if the reward is worth the risk.

Why not try it in a match and see what happens? Wait till you have a game against an inferior opponent so you don't get torn up by someone you need points over, and watch a half. You'll see fairly quickly if what you fear is coming to pass, or if the reward is worth the risk.

That's what I normally do but so little time this week, thought I'd ask for advice until I can actually test it out.

It's probably been asked a thousand times over already but is there any way to stop conceding goals from crosses?

Example:

West%20Brom%20v%20Liverpool_%20Pitch%20Full_zpss3gqs1fb.png

The man in question is Martin Skrtel. Here's a screenshot of his attributes:

Martin%20Skrtel__zpslt1d4opk.png

As you can see from the above screenshot, he's not even goal side of his man. Trippier put the ball into the box and Sessegnon scored a tap-in to equalise for West Brom. I'd like to have seen Moreno close down more, especially with the 'Close Down More' TI active.

Seriously though, when will this be fixed?

Can anyone address this? Cleon? Dr. Hook? RTH?

Can anyone address this? Cleon? Dr. Hook? RTH?

As I understand it, the default is loosely stick to positions, so as to allow an amount of roaming within a small area related to the position. I am not 100% on this from empirical testing, but I believe it is the case.. If the role already has roaming, then roam from position TI won't do anything more. If stick to positions is selected, then player without roaming will very rigidly stick to their defined play area, while TI and PI are cumulative. So, a PI of roam, with a TI of stick to positions should see, based on my belief in the first sentence, some roaming, but not as much as usual. It is kind of weird, but I think that is what you are asking, and hopefully someone can be a bit more clear than I am on this.

That's what I normally do but so little time this week, thought I'd ask for advice until I can actually test it out.

Fair enough, so based on what you write, is how confident are you in your back two? I would opt for the risk if I thought it was going to add something to my attack- I regularly tempt fate with attacking fullbacks because I like what they do in that duty. If you are questionable about the back two against stronger opponents or certain shapes, then switching to an anchorman or DM(D) would certainly give you a bit of extra protection. What I might consider, in your shoes, since you are doing well, is leave the DM as a regista with the two attacking backs against weak teams, or teams that lack attacking width, and against the strong sides, or ones who major heavily on wing play, switch him to the more defensive DM role.

As I understand it, the default is loosely stick to positions, so as to allow an amount of roaming within a small area related to the position. I am not 100% on this from empirical testing, but I believe it is the case.. If the role already has roaming, then roam from position TI won't do anything more. If stick to positions is selected, then player without roaming will very rigidly stick to their defined play area, while TI and PI are cumulative. So, a PI of roam, with a TI of stick to positions should see, based on my belief in the first sentence, some roaming, but not as much as usual. It is kind of weird, but I think that is what you are asking, and hopefully someone can be a bit more clear than I am on this.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I think you answer is somewhat in the right direction of what I'm looking for. I think we need more understanding about Roaming because it is a bit unclear and confusing. There are still some instructions like those that are confusing me. Maybe I'm thinking too much and over-thinking it........

I would still be interested to hear from the others what they think on the subject.

Fair enough, so based on what you write, is how confident are you in your back two? I would opt for the risk if I thought it was going to add something to my attack- I regularly tempt fate with attacking fullbacks because I like what they do in that duty. If you are questionable about the back two against stronger opponents or certain shapes, then switching to an anchorman or DM(D) would certainly give you a bit of extra protection. What I might consider, in your shoes, since you are doing well, is leave the DM as a regista with the two attacking backs against weak teams, or teams that lack attacking width, and against the strong sides, or ones who major heavily on wing play, switch him to the more defensive DM role.

Something to think about until I can dive in again. Thank you, perspective appreciated!

Hi everyone. I wonder what if I choose work ball into box when I use a CWB ? He normally a lot crosses and I can not reduce it with PI but what if I use work ball into box ?

Why not use the wingback role? I believe with the PIs, he can be customised as a CWB too.

Thank you HUNT3R. I see now, If I can not tell player cross less often with PI, I can tell team work ball into box which is reduce shout also reduce crosses. That what I ask, thanks again.

Just be aware that it also reduces shooting from range. Both are done to be able to work the ball into the box.

Can somebody help me with tactic? You can see league table, I am in good position. I have best defense in the league, but I am bad in scoring goals.

The formation alone is never very efficient in problem solving. Stuff can look good on paper, but in the end it depends on your player, or on a certain PI or TI that does not fit. If you want help, you should give the experts here a bit more to chew on:

- Why are you not scoring goals? How does your team try to score, and what happens when they do?

- Do you watch some matches on full mode and look at how your team behaves, how they move, how the chances they create are started?

- How do you WANT them to score? What's your underlying plan?

- Who should score, who should support?

- Why did you choose the Team instructions that you chose? And the team shape?

From a first glance, you have quite a lot of instructions and some very specific settings (Counter & Highly structured). All of this might complicate things, because you give your team very clear orders how to play. Maybe by doing so you created a tactical approach that does hinder your team to score? The best can often be to start a rather blank tactic and add instructions as you go.

"Close down much more" is also, in my opinion a very specific instruction that can complicate things a lot. Your team can be drawn completely out of position, because everybody is chasing the opposition players around the pitch. Unfortunately, FM still does not simulate closing down as realistically and detailed, as it is, for example practiced in the Bundesliga (Gegenpressing, Angriffspressing, Mittelfeldpressing, flexibles Pressing, Pressingfallen, etc.).

Thank you for you response. I will think about it.

- I need more goals from my strikers. You can see that his average rating is 6.84, my second striker has rating 6.92. Other players has 7 and more.

- goal assists

- I would say that I need more chances per a game. My matches are quite boring - very little shots and chances.

- I choosed that formation because it is like 4231, but more solid. Players are always tracking back, so i like it.

team instructions:

- pass into space + higher tempo (because i want very fast counterattacks)

- play out of defence (for increase ball possesion)

- work ball into box (i just dont like shots from long distance)

- push higher up + close down much more + prevent short GK distribution (yes i want counterattacks but i want decrease my opponents ball possesion)

- play much narrower (i want very solid defence)

Just some quick remarks (I am a bit busy atm)

team instructions:

1.) pass into space + higher tempo (because i want very fast counterattacks)

2.) play out of defence (for increase ball possesion)

3.) work ball into box (i just dont like shots from long distance)

4.) push higher up + close down much more + prevent short GK distribution (yes i want counterattacks but i want decrease my opponents ball possesion)

5.) play much narrower (i want very solid defence)

1.) Please take a look at Cleon's fantastic "Art of Counter attacking" thread. You will see that you don't need any specific TI for counter attack movements, because the Match Engine is doing that automatically. By giving those two specific TI, your team will apply those whenever possible (not only during counter attack), so they will always try to play quick and pass into space. I can imagine this will lead to losing the ball a lot.

3.) You dont like shots from distance, and yet they might be the right tool in certain situations. Maybe one of the reasons you don't score is because your players always seek to dribble and short pass until they reach the box and are simply intercepted on the way, instead of trying to shoot from distance? I would at least watch a few games without this specific TI and see if your players are indeed shooting from distance a lot. Maybe they are not doing it anyway? Maybe they are actually quite good at it?

4.) If you push higher up, you reduce the chance the Match Engine will start a "counter attack" movement. Counters normally need space. Ypu have to drag the opponent out into your half to create that space. What you try to simulate here is less a "counter" and more something like the famous "Angriffspressing". Again, I direct you to Cleon's thread.

5.) The "play narrower" will mostly affect your attacking style. Your players will not spread out to the wings, but instead stay close to each other, probably resulting in more short passing and less players who offer themselves as recipients for a long, quick pass.

What I am trying to convey is: The Team Instructions look like a bunch of shiny, interesting features, but they are actually quite powerful tools who can break the whole engine easily, when applied. I sometimes have whole squads behaving differently, because I changed just one specific PI for one player. (And I partly blame the game for not explaining this fact more clearly).

edit:

BTW, by combining a "High structured" shape, which lets all players stick to their duties very rigidly and at the same time a lot of "attack" duties for your front line and "defend" duties for you defence, I imagine that your team will probably stretched out from goal to goal quite a bit. Maybe one of the problems is also that your forwards don't really connect with your supporting midfield? At the same time you are playing "much narrower", so I imagine a shape where players are very close horizontally, but very wide streched vertically. Is that also what you see when you watch your matches? (Because, as mentioned, it is always difficult to judge just from the paper).

Re: "Attempts to Develop Weaker Foot" Training

(I haven't found a satisfactory answer for this anywhere)

How does "Attempts to Develop Weaker Foot" training work?

I train my player with a "reasonable" left foot and a "very strong" right foot.

After a few months, I receive an email telling me that he is "far more comfortable using his weaker foot". However, his left foot is still rated "reasonable".

On the PPM list, "Attempts to Develop Weaker Foot" appears.

However...

After some time, the "Attempts to Develop Weaker Foot" disappears from the list of known PPM's.

His left foot is still rated "reasonable".

The option to train his weaker foot re-appears.

In FM15, I tried the in-game editor to see the exact "footedness" ratings, and despite repeatedly training many players on their weaker foot, the numerical rating did not go up or down. I'm assuming that this is not a bug and is working as intended.

How does this PPM work? Am I doing something wrong? For example, will it only work if I give the player enough playing time? Please, not the same speculation that I've seen on the lesser websites on FM. I'm stupid, and need and need exact and sure answers.

Thank you for you response. I will think about it.

- I need more goals from my strikers. You can see that his average rating is 6.84, my second striker has rating 6.92. Other players has 7 and more.

- goal assists

- I would say that I need more chances per a game. My matches are quite boring - very little shots and chances.

- I choosed that formation because it is like 4231, but more solid. Players are always tracking back, so i like it.

team instructions:

- pass into space + higher tempo (because i want very fast counterattacks)

- play out of defence (for increase ball possesion)

- work ball into box (i just dont like shots from long distance)

- push higher up + close down much more + prevent short GK distribution (yes i want counterattacks but i want decrease my opponents ball possesion)

- play much narrower (i want very solid defence)

I'm no tactical genius but on point four of team instructions you contradict yourself. You want to play a counter style but then you also want to press high up the pitch? It looks as if you're not 100% sure how you want your team to play.

Countering is all about sitting back, keeping shape and allowing the opposition to have the ball so you can win it back with them high up the pitch and out of position. You can then exploit the space.

By pushing higher and closing down more you're pretty much reducing the chances of counters to zero.

If there any actual benefit to putting WingBacks in the WBL/R positions instead of DL/R positions when playing with 3 centre backs?

Yes. The wingbacks bomb forward to a point that both wingbacks are attacking instead of one. I used at three in the back system and and the wingbacks were already across the halfway line when I begin the play

Yes. The wingbacks bomb forward to a point that both wingbacks are attacking instead of one. I used at three in the back system and and the wingbacks were already across the halfway line when I begin the play

I agree, I have a sweeper & 2 CB formation that I use sometimes with wingbacks, and they really get up the pitch well. Because of being wingbacks, I find that they do a passable job of defending in the midfield as well.

How can I get my players to play more passes sideways or backwards? I'm trying to play with possession and patience but my players tries to pass it forward way too much. I play on "counter" with "pass shorter" and "less risky passes" and there are usually simple passing options for the players.

It should be possible as the AI pass it around like crazy all the time getting 100+ passes for several players.

How can I get my players to play more passes sideways or backwards? I'm trying to play with possession and patience but my players tries to pass it forward way too much. I play on "counter" with "pass shorter" and "less risky passes" and there are usually simple passing options for the players.

It should be possible as the AI pass it around like crazy all the time getting 100+ passes for several players.

You may wanna look at this thread, I guess it helped alot people;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/445500-The-Art-of-Possession-Football?p=10638027#post10638027

Hey Guys, in fm 16 we cant choose the intensity of the individual training. My Question is how should i setup my General Training? In previous Versions of fm, i went for low general Training and high individual Intensity to get high Workload.

Do your players have options near them that they can pass sideways to?

So I'm playing this system: http://i.imgur.com/4Pz553b.png

But we are not scoring as much as I would like, although I find that we are creating a lot. Most teams we face play defensive against us because we're predicted nr. 1. I would like my IF-A, Eilers, to score more goals, but I think he is playing too wide and rarely gets in goal scoring opportunities. So, what I'm wondering is, should I perhaps change the team shape from Highly structured to Fluid perhaps, to get more movement? I'm just a bit apprehensive to change something dramatic and ruin our good form in the middle of the season, that's why I'm asking for input.