Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Not really. If you are using a wide formation to start with, then you could be looking for him to occupy a space between defenders. He will still be out wider than a central AM, so will still cut inside, but he won't be coming in from as far. It can be a useful instruction if there is a specific area of the pitch you want to exploit.

Thank you.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a striker who scores a lot of goals, but also holds the ball. The crosses should come from the backs.

I currently have this setup but my striker doesn't score a lot.

GK (D)

WB (A)

CD (D)

BPD (D)

WB (A)

RGA (O)

CM (A)

AP (A)

IF (O)

IF (O)

DLF (O) - dribble less, move into channels, shoot more often

Fluid, Controlling

Normal tempo, wide, defnsive line little higher, offside yes, close down more, prevent shot gk distribution, tigther marking, get stuck in, play out defense, pass into space, shorter passing, retain possesion, look for overlap, work ball into box, mixed crosses, run at defense

So, I'm under the impression that compared to former games in the FM-series, this years copy is by far the hardest one, thanks to the tactics part, I'm not a player who wants to spend 5 mins before each games contemplating how my team is going to play and what role is player is going to have, simply because I don't find this very amusing. I prefer to play in a faster tempo and develop talents and buy/sell players. Call it a cheat or not but I usually download others tactics and play with the instant result button. It has led me to very enjoyable saves on FM14 and FM15. Currently no matter what I try I end up getting sacked before 2015 turns into 2016. I was just wondering I guess if there is any words on the difficulty of the AI this year and if it's possible to play like I did on the earlier games or if the future is that you have to put so much focus on the tactics?

I asked in Cleon's possession thread but didn't get a good answer - what's the difference between a Regista and a Roaming Playmaker other than you can use RPM as a MC and RGA only as DM?

The games descriptions give you a great idea of how the roles differ and what they offer. The Regista is a Pirlo type of character pulling the strings from deep and looking to play the ball to the attackers. A Roaming Playmaker is like a box to box midfielder but one who is creative. They offer a passing option and also drive forward with the ball. They're a lot more attack minded than a Regista and can often be found in and around the oppositions area.

Sorry for my ignorance but whats the meaning of attribute numbers like 14-17 for example? I've never played FM2015 till a few days ago and that attribute numbering is confusing me.

Does it mean it needs scouting to know the exact number?

Thanks.

That's down to scouting yeah. It's because you have fog of war enabled.

If i ask a coach to start a ppm on a certain player and he comes back to me with the answer"I don't see player x capable of doing that, he would be better trying this instead" If i ignore his advice and tell him to go ahead with the ppm that i need for that player will he gain that ppm or will he always fail.

Example,I want my striker to learn "comes deep to get the ball" but my coach doesnt think he is suited to it (what does he know anyway!!)and he thinks he should learn some other ppm that isnt suited to my tactic.

I've told him to go ahead with my request anyway but he doesn't think it will work.

If i ask a coach to start a ppm on a certain player and he comes back to me with the answer"I don't see player x capable of doing that, he would be better trying this instead" If i ignore his advice and tell him to go ahead with the ppm that i need for that player will he gain that ppm or will he always fail.

Example,I want my striker to learn "comes deep to get the ball" but my coach doesnt think he is suited to it (what does he know anyway!!)and he thinks he should learn some other ppm that isnt suited to my tactic.

I've told him to go ahead with my request anyway but he doesn't think it will work.

It's just advice at the end of the day it doesn't mean he is right or correct. There's still a good chance he will learn it.

How important in FM is percentage of shots on target? Stupid question I know as obviously the more shots on target you have the more chance you have at scoring "but". I have read many times on these forums in some opinions that if you have less than around 50% of your shots on target then you are not creating enough good chances. Fair enough you would think but is that figure an unnecessarily high guess or is it a sensible marker for chance creation in FM? The reason I ask is that I have kept an eye on real life Premier League Match stats in the last few weeks and a team having 50% of their shots on target not a regularly high occurrence. In fact in the last two weeks of Premier League matches prior to today's Newcastle v Liverpool game only 11 teams out of 36 actually had 50% of their shots on target or around about that total. So within the game is 50% an unrealistic target to aim for?

So within the game is 50% an unrealistic target to aim for?

It's a figure that Cleon and I have always had in our heads. It's not a "rule" or anything, but feels like a decent benchmark to aspire to; Cleon tends to aim beyond 50%, whilst I'm happy with 50% and lazily include Blocked Shots in my total.

It's a figure that Cleon and I have always had in our heads. It's not a "rule" or anything, but feels like a decent benchmark to aspire to; Cleon tends to aim beyond 50%, whilst I'm happy with 50% and lazily include Blocked Shots in my total.

Guess it's where they come from as well. I'd be happier with 5 in the 6 yard box than 25 from outside the area!!

Is it possible to save opposition instructions? if so, then how is it done?

Thanks in advance :-)

Go to tactics then select opposition instructions from the menu bar.

You have a list of every position and can add as many instructions as you wish.

With regards to shots on target, If I'm creating good chances inside the box but my players are not even hitting the target what can I do.

I know subbing them off is an option, but that isn't really viable 30 minutes into the game, Should I be using touchline shouts to encourage them/calm them down? remove work ball into box/add shoot on sight?

Go to tactics then select opposition instructions from the menu bar.

You have a list of every position and can add as many instructions as you wish.

Thanks, I did try that but when it comes to the game it hasn't saved the instructions for some reason or other.

If I instruct (via PI's) a WM-S to "get further forward" does he essentially take up the same attacking threat as a WM-A would, who has that PI ticked on by default?

Or does the WM-S with that PI basically play like... somewhere between a normal WM-S and WM-A ?

Cheers.

Reposting for clarity. Quite confusing this.

I posted earlier in the thread a similar question about shots on target, I also posted a screenshot of a game where I had 100% shots on target against chelsea. I cant remember the answer I got, but following on from going a fair amount of games with 90% + shots on target not including blocked shots I got fed up, dumped my tactic,went onto ignore stats and just play something that probably shouldnt work but wins me games.

I guess i'm trying to support that it isnt a definite rule to aim for the 50% but it is nice to see over it and with more shots on target the more goals do tend to be scored.

I can't help with that, never use them.
No probs, thanks for your reply regardless :-)

To anyone else that can help, is it possible to save OI's?

Never mind, I asked this on Twitter and you cannot save OI's. Pointless having the option on the tactics screen imo.

The difference in Mentality is more than just vertical positioning; risk taking as an example. So a WM (S) will Get Further Forward if instructed to, but won't just become the same overall as a WM (A) on the basis of that PI alone.

Cheers! Thanks RTH for clearing that up.

What is the difference between using a Defensive Midfielder (Defend) or a Anchorman?

An anchorman is more static and sits in the hole and breaks attacks up. A DM pushes up into midfield more and closes down more heavily in comparison. He also supports players when you have the ball and pushes on more.

An anchorman is more static and sits in the hole and breaks attacks up. A DM pushes up into midfield more and closes down more heavily in comparison. He also supports players when you have the ball and pushes on more.

I appreciate the quick response Cleon. Cheers

Can someone enlight me please? I know that the instruction to play wider in FM16 just affect the positioning, but in FM15 it also changes the passing focus down both flanks, right?

Also, in FM15, i read that exploit the middle increases forward runs in MC strata, is that correct? Does it also changes their mentality?

Thanks!

Can someone enlight me please? I know that the instruction to play wider in FM16 just affect the positioning, but in FM15 it also changes the passing focus down both flanks, right?

Also, in FM15, i read that exploit the middle increases forward runs in MC strata, is that correct? Does it also changes their mentality?

Thanks!

Both also increase tempo, it is believed, though no one outside SI is exactly clear what these instructions do. Exploit the middle in 15 and earlier at the minimum narrows formation and changes passing focus, not sure if it increases forward runs or not- hadn't noticed that one before, but passing with both is not only focused outside but is also made more direct, which may account for the apparent increase in tempo you see.

Thanks Dr. Hook!

So i believe that there is no official information of what each team instruction really do, right?

Exploit The Middle –

None defensive players will have their run from deep increased too often. Tells your team to focus their passing through the middle and any defenders and defensive midfielders will have their mentality changed to a more attacking one and be told to do through balls often. If you don’t use wide players then you should use this shout. That's what it used to do on previous versions of the game.

This was all correct for older versions of the game and was exactly what each setting did;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/305067-The-Full-90-Minutes-What-I-Do

How do I load a downloaded tactic? I put the file in the tactic folder and when I try to load it in the game I get a msg that it didn't work. It is a .fmf file.

Make sure it was a FM16 tactic if you're using FM16 as previous versions don't work on FM16 obviously because of the changes.

Thanks Dr. Hook!

So i believe that there is no official information of what each team instruction really do, right?

It would be good if we had a thread that included this information as it would stop a lot of people from asking imo. Obviously making sure that it's always up to date.

It would be good if we had a thread that included this information as it would stop a lot of people from asking imo. Obviously making sure that it's always up to date.

Impossible to do on newer versions when SI aren't as transparent as they once were, like when I did the thread linked above. Something like that only works if they communicate with us regular and inform us of all changes, which is something I can't see them doing sadly. It's down to SI to get that info across not us, without them doing so we can't make sure people are kept upto date with changes.

Impossible to do on newer versions when SI aren't as transparent as they once were, like when I did the thread linked above. Something like that only works if they communicate with us regular and inform us of all changes, which is something I can't see them doing sadly. It's down to SI to get that info across not us, without them doing so we can't make sure people are kept upto date with changes.

Ah ok, no problem.

So, I'm under the impression that compared to former games in the FM-series, this years copy is by far the hardest one, thanks to the tactics part, I'm not a player who wants to spend 5 mins before each games contemplating how my team is going to play and what role is player is going to have, simply because I don't find this very amusing. I prefer to play in a faster tempo and develop talents and buy/sell players. Call it a cheat or not but I usually download others tactics and play with the instant result button. It has led me to very enjoyable saves on FM14 and FM15. Currently no matter what I try I end up getting sacked before 2015 turns into 2016. I was just wondering I guess if there is any words on the difficulty of the AI this year and if it's possible to play like I did on the earlier games or if the future is that you have to put so much focus on the tactics?

There have been a few changes to how tactics work in FM16, and I am pretty sure that quite a few download tactics are more or less still versions of FM15. So, no, FM16 is not "the hardest", it's just different, so some of the old routines simply don't match and you have to look for new ones.

Personally, the matches and the match engine is, for me, the core of FM. If I just want to buy/sell players without watching any match, I'd probably even buy a different game, but that is of course personal opinion, and everybody has a right to enjoy the game just as he wants to.

But in the end, what advice do you expect? You use pre-defined tactics, don't watch the matches, and you loose. Nobody can really help you there, because the simple answer is, yes, your tactics are most certainly "wrong", they don't fit your squad. And to be honest, to play FM I don't see any other way than getting a foot down and learn a bit about how the tactics work, so that you can adapt them to your team. That is, as mentioned, after all the core of this game.

Exploit The Middle –

None defensive players will have their run from deep increased too often. Tells your team to focus their passing through the middle and any defenders and defensive midfielders will have their mentality changed to a more attacking one and be told to do through balls often. If you don’t use wide players then you should use this shout. That's what it used to do on previous versions of the game.

This was all correct for older versions of the game and was exactly what each setting did;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/305067-The-Full-90-Minutes-What-I-Do

Thanks a lot Cleon, that's exactly what i was looking for.

Too bad that it makes all of those changes though.

Can anyone help with this? It's a situation I am finding highly annoying and wondering if the ME still has a problem with lateral and vertical movement of players? I am finding that this happens regularly whatever strategy I use and it is very frustrating., In this instance I am using a counter strategy but as I say this movement (or lack of it) happens whatever I try.

I am trying out a 4411 and in this case I have the striker as a CF S and the two WM's are on support but have "get further forward" and "roam from position" added. When Zarate gets the ball Moses (WM L) and Valencia (WM R) should be busting a gut to get forward. At one point Payet (AM C) also has the opportunity to run beyond Zarate but doesn't. "Roam from Position" dictates that "players with find pockets of space" but look at Valencia and Moses who just stand there next to an opponent.

I even find that players on an attack duty also fail to do this. There seems to be very poor off ball movement from players bar the odd run down the line from a full back so therefore it seems very difficult as in previous FM's to get players beyond the striker.

Any ideas on how to get more vertical and lateral movement from players>?

[video=youtube;rosYpzm8ayI]

@SussexHammer.

I disagree that those players should be 'busting a gut to get forward' at that point, considering the roles you've given them and the situation that unfolded there. You have given both a WM position and a support role, so basically they will be sticking to that strata and not making massively risky moves unless there is a big space in front of them to run into. At the point that video there isn't masses of space to get into without completely screwing the rest of the team defensively.

If you want them to do that, why not change your mentality to something more attacking, put those wingers up to AM strata and give them attack duties, otherwise they will be more cautious than you'd want.

@SussexHammer.

I disagree that those players should be 'busting a gut to get forward' at that point, considering the roles you've given them and the situation that unfolded there. You have given both a WM position and a support role, so basically they will be sticking to that strata and not making massively risky moves unless there is a big space in front of them to run into. At the point that video there isn't masses of space to get into without completely screwing the rest of the team defensively.

If you want them to do that, why not change your mentality to something more attacking, put those wingers up to AM strata and give them attack duties, otherwise they will be more cautious than you'd want.

Yeah I guess so but I do find though that as it's always been anyone in the AM strata contributes little defensively. An AM/L - AM/R and a striker just seem to hang around as three up top.

I still feel that even on support (with get further forward) when space appears players should make more of an effort to get forward. I would argue that the screenshot of the video shows that far from being a risky move it should be common sense for those with the arrows to attack the space as there are plenty of players covering defensively (marked by hexagons).

Man%20Utd%20v%20West%20Ham_%20%20Pitch.png

Yeah I guess so but I do find though that as it's always been anyone in the AM strata contributes little defensively. An AM/L - AM/R and a striker just seem to hang around as three up top.

I still feel that even on support (with get further forward) when space appears players should make more of an effort to get forward. I would argue that the screenshot of the video shows that far from being a risky move it should be common sense for those with the arrows to attack the space as there are plenty of players covering defensively (marked by hexagons).

Man%20Utd%20v%20West%20Ham_%20%20Pitch.png

Valencia did decide to attack the space then the ball was passed backwards so he halted his run. When Zarate first gets the ball he is actually angled away and running away from Valencia, that's why Valencia doesn't bust a gut initially as play is going away from him which wouldn't allow him to be a support option. In fact, if Valencia had gone at the moment you wanted, you'd have been hit on the counter and lost possession because when play comes back inside and towards him, he is then the passing option used from the pressure applied on Payet.

Valencia isn't an option, look at this;

DnAFa1i.png

Valencia is the player circled in yellow. Plays going away from him.

Then as the players do start rushing forward Zarate makes the mistake of coming back inside and shielding the ball. This not only stops the move but it alts the players runs who are in support from deep.

31Yst8g.png

You are being a bit unrealistic in what you want them to do. It seems like you want the players deep and pushing on but you expect it to happen instantly when football doesn't work like that. They were cautious at first because of the way the striker dealt with the ball initially. When they realise they do burst forward with speed but the striker is at fault here not the supporting players.

yJiL1rY.png

Then the 2 players with the arrows start moving forward but Payet is running at them so the free player who is circled at the back hangs back to be a passing option as expected and Valencia can't run forward as he is 2v1 and can't go anywhere.

Thanks Cleon. Don't you think though that Moses could do more? I mean if he had gone earlier then he may have ended up getting on the end of the over hit pass. Ok he may have been off side as well but I just think he should take a gamble there.

Just love to know how you can get a front three playing like Bojan, Shaquiri and Arnautovic did for Stoke at the weekend,. Arnautovic made great runs from wide left to end up in the penalty area to score two goals. Brilliant vertical and lateral (or diagonal) movement. Is that possible to recreate?

Thanks Cleon. Don't you think though that Moses could do more? I mean if he had gone earlier then he may have ended up getting on the end of the over hit pass. Ok he may have been off side as well but I just think he should take a gamble there.

The player on the left? If so then no not really the ball/play wasn't ever near close enough for him to make any kind of run. Also I'm not sure how you set up but the whole team looks quite conservative for parts of the move so its clearly some settings you are using which is restricting movement.

Just love to know how you can get a front three playing like Bojan, Shaquiri and Arnautovic did for Stoke at the weekend,. Arnautovic made great runs from wide left to end up in the penalty area to score two goals. Brilliant vertical and lateral (or diagonal) movement. Is that possible to recreate?

The difference between your tactic and what Stoke did at the weekend is that one person to link the front 3 together. They all seem individuals in your tactic based on the one move above and no-one was linking them all together. That's why the player on the left doesn't really do anything because he's nowhere near the ball and there is no-one who can bring him into play.