Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Here's my question... No matter if I've seen it on here or fm scout or fm base you always see ppl make tactics with say a premier division team in England however you never see anyone try tactics or make tactics for lower leagues because they know they would not have the same success? So back to my question why don't people make tactics for lower leagues just top teams obviously ur gonna have great numbers with top teams u prob won't have same numbers with say a vcn or vcs in England...

Here's my question... No matter if I've seen it on here or fm scout or fm base you always see ppl make tactics with say a premier division team in England however you never see anyone try tactics or make tactics for lower leagues because they know they would not have the same success? So back to my question why don't people make tactics for lower leagues just top teams obviously ur gonna have great numbers with top teams u prob won't have same numbers with say a vcn or vcs in England...

People tend to gravitate towards big teams, so the fact they issue tactics developed at big sides does not mean they won't work further down the pyramid. In fact, on rare occasions when you do get uploaded tactics developed with lower league teams, you invariably get questions like "Will this work in the Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga, Premier League" etc. etc. A lot of uploaded tactics are all about the marketing - things look sexier to most if it is Real Madrid winning, rather 6-0 than Macclesfield sneaking 1-0 wins; that's just how it is.

It is, however, wrong to assume that certain tactics only work at certain levels. Doesn't matter if you are in the top division or the bottom one, the relative abilities of the sides will be proportionate the further down you go. You can play a technical game at the lower level or a direct game at the top. It doesn't matter.

People tend to gravitate towards big teams, so the fact they issue tactics developed at big sides does not mean they won't work further down the pyramid. In fact, on rare occasions when you do get uploaded tactics developed with lower league teams, you invariably get questions like "Will this work in the Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga, Premier League" etc. etc. A lot of uploaded tactics are all about the marketing - things look sexier to most if it is Real Madrid winning, rather 6-0 than Macclesfield sneaking 1-0 wins; that's just how it is.

It is, however, wrong to assume that certain tactics only work at certain levels. Doesn't matter if you are in the top division or the bottom one, the relative abilities of the sides will be proportionate the further down you go. You can play a technical game at the lower level or a direct game at the top. It doesn't matter.

I think this is almost entirely true, the exception maybe being very one dimensional tactics that rely on utilising players with less good mental stats but good physical qualities. At higher levels I think that when defenders have a better mix of mental and physical qualities its easier to nulify these approaches. However it really is all pretty relative and more to do with how much better or worse your players are than the ones on the opposition team.

I generally go 441 or something like that, go defensive and add TIs to keep shape, at that point its really all you can do, pressing with 10 men is too exhausting and leaves huge gaps, so the best I can do is keep it tight and hope for the best. If I can keep possession and pass it around at the back then I will but usually my sides arent good enough to do that.

Otherwise I make sure my striker is playing deep to help out in midfield, but is usually someone with enough pace that he might be able to counter and score on his own.

Oh and I also get rid of all attack duties! :)

Thanks for that I'll try a few things when Song makes another rash tackle!!!!

By the way how do people play against Tottenham's 4231, especially at their place? Personally I think Spurs and Liverpool are far too overpowered in FM15, but that's another story, but this 4231 is a nightmare to play against!!

Unbeaten in 9 going there, 2nd in the League to their 5th so confidence is good but find myself 2 down after 20 minutes. What I can't understand about the AI's 4231 is that when we try to use it it seems far to flimsy in the centre of midfield. So I always feel hopeful that my 4132 can hold it's own especially with my three against their two, but it never happens that way, the AI's CM area seem more than capable even with just the two in there.

I did then try a much higher line to try and stop their AM dictating proceedings and swapped from two centre backs on defend to one stopper and one cover and got right back into it getting two goals and my shot count shot up but as always the AI always seems to find a way and with a minute to go a long shot hit the bar, rebounded out and hit my goalkeeper on the back of the head to bounce back into the net to lose me the game 3-2!!!

Not sure I can play so aggressively full match against that 4231 though but intrigued to see how others cope with it? The formations I struggle against with a 4312 are 4231, 442 and Liverpool's 3421. Obviously formations that either double up on the wings and/or have an AM or two and obviously a 4132 has no real width cover and with a flat three in CM no real cover in the DM area so those are the weaknesses. Obviously the other frustration is I can't seem to get my AM to dominate in those formations DM area as the AI always seems to get men back.

Advice would be appreciated.

I'm cheating when using all the tight mark, closing down, tackle hard, and show onto weak foot at OP instructions?

By doind this my team plays at defense exactly how I want.

Do you think its cheating, or using some legal tool in a "bad" way?

I'm cheating when using all the tight mark, closing down, tackle hard, and show onto weak foot at OP instructions?

By doind this my team plays at defense exactly how I want.

Do you think its cheating, or using some legal tool in a "bad" way?

OP instructions are a tool, where does the "cheating" idea comes from ??? :eek:

It's more a question if you want all the OP players to be closed down, tight marking, tackle hard and show onto weak foot. Do you ?

By the way how do people play against Tottenham's 4231, especially at their place? Personally I think Spurs and Liverpool are far too overpowered in FM15, but that's another story, but this 4231 is a nightmare to play against!!

Unbeaten in 9 going there, 2nd in the League to their 5th so confidence is good but find myself 2 down after 20 minutes. What I can't understand about the AI's 4231 is that when we try to use it it seems far to flimsy in the centre of midfield. So I always feel hopeful that my 4132 can hold it's own especially with my three against their two, but it never happens that way, the AI's CM area seem more than capable even with just the two in there.

I did then try a much higher line to try and stop their AM dictating proceedings and swapped from two centre backs on defend to one stopper and one cover and got right back into it getting two goals and my shot count shot up but as always the AI always seems to find a way and with a minute to go a long shot hit the bar, rebounded out and hit my goalkeeper on the back of the head to bounce back into the net to lose me the game 3-2!!!

Not sure I can play so aggressively full match against that 4231 though but intrigued to see how others cope with it? The formations I struggle against with a 4312 are 4231, 442 and Liverpool's 3421. Obviously formations that either double up on the wings and/or have an AM or two and obviously a 4132 has no real width cover and with a flat three in CM no real cover in the DM area so those are the weaknesses. Obviously the other frustration is I can't seem to get my AM to dominate in those formations DM area as the AI always seems to get men back.

Advice would be appreciated.

I've been struggling against the same teams but seem to do best playing aggressively. They seem capable of dismantling an organised, deep defence with little trouble, and are quick enough to get defenders back if I try and play on the counter. My best chances come when I play a high press but it's not ideal. I do tend to switch between high/standard tempo to not tire my players out too much but the opposing goals come when I'm playing at lower tempos.

question about set pieces. my team got 2 central defnder.good in the air. 2 forward and 1 central midfield,also good in the air. 1 is decent header. so total I got at least 6 good jumpers.

my question,how to maximize this in set pieces? 1 attack near post, 1 attack far post, 1 chalenge keeper, 1 attack ball from deep.wil the rest better just go forward or stand on far post,flick,etc?

Do player roles become less distinguishable the more fluid your team plays? Reason I ask is I have been tinkering with a few roles and duties to try a few things out for FM16 and always tend to use fluid. Whilst spending an afternoon trying different roles out in match I don't really notice any difference between say a DLF and DF and a F9 or a BBM, BWM or a CM from by just what I see on screen. May try the same on flexible, structured etc but it's something that has always made me wonder as it seems formation you do see a difference (obviously) but not a marked difference just swapping roles round in the same tactic.

Higher fluidity allows each player more creative freedom, so yes, you will see less distinction between how each role operates when using Fluid or Very Fluid tactics.

Higher fluidity allows each player more creative freedom, so yes, you will see less distinction between how each role operates when using Fluid or Very Fluid tactics.

Thanks Swansongs. So for instance if I play a DLP.D in a CM three for the sake of better defensive play than a CM.D but at the same time don't want players to focus their passing through him fluid or very fluid would allow that where structured of very structured would make players play through a DLP more?

Thanks Swansongs. So for instance if I play a DLP.D in a CM three for the sake of better defensive play than a CM.D but at the same time don't want players to focus their passing through him fluid or very fluid would allow that where structured of very structured would make players play through a DLP more?

No because the DLP is a playmaker so regardless of set up and instructions used, there will always be a biased towards the playmaking roles. So players will still look to utilise him a lot. However your CM would be more creative than he normally is, so he might do more passes himself if he feels its the right thing to do.

If you don't want players focusing passing through one specific player then I'd stay clear of any of the playmaker roles.

No because the DLP is a playmaker so regardless of set up and instructions used, there will always be a biased towards the playmaking roles. So players will still look to utilise him a lot. However your CM would be more creative than he normally is, so he might do more passes himself if he feels its the right thing to do.

If you don't want players focusing passing through one specific player then I'd stay clear of any of the playmaker roles.

Thanks Cleon,. My quandary is that I find a DLP.D in a 4312 is better defensively than a CM.D although he obviously won't sit in front of the back 4 unless you play him at DM. This in turn has it's annoyances as it then narrows my two BWM's in the CM strata so I prefer a flat three in the centre of midfield for the sake of attempting to cover the width of the pitch.. However no matter what I try I can't seem to get a CM.D to defend similarly to a DLP.D even experimenting with close down less or much less instructions. Is it possible to get a CM.D more defensive or is the DLP.D the most defensive CM role there is?

Thanks Cleon,. My quandary is that I find a DLP.D in a 4312 is better defensively than a CM.D although he obviously won't sit in front of the back 4 unless you play him at DM. This in turn has it's annoyances as it then narrows my two BWM's in the CM strata so I prefer a flat three in the centre of midfield for the sake of attempting to cover the width of the pitch.. However no matter what I try I can't seem to get a CM.D to defend similarly to a DLP.D even experimenting with close down less or much less instructions. Is it possible to get a CM.D more defensive or is the DLP.D the most defensive CM role there is?

I personally prefer a DLP(d) to a CM(d) in the MC strata to provide a better defensive screen, so long as I have the correct player. So, I wouldn't use a static passing machine such as Alonso or Carrick, instead I'd want a more mobile and aggressive player - if you are playing as West Ham, Mark Noble could be ideal.

That is what I found in my Arsenal 4321 formation, where Jack Wilshere nailed it - loads of accurate passes along with team-leading tackles made and a good number of interceptions.

Whilst the goalie / central defenders tended to target the DLP to receive their passes, overall I didn't notice any difference in the quantity or quality of passes compared to my other 2 MCs (a BWMs and a B2B). In fact my BWM tend to have more passes than most other players on the pitch.

I personally prefer a DLP(d) to a CM(d) in the MC strata to provide a better defensive screen, so long as I have the correct player. So, I wouldn't use a static passing machine such as Alonso or Carrick, instead I'd want a more mobile and aggressive player - if you are playing as West Ham, Mark Noble could be ideal.

That is what I found in my Arsenal 4321 formation, where Jack Wilshere nailed it - loads of accurate passes along with team-leading tackles made and a good number of interceptions.

Whilst the goalie / central defenders tended to target the DLP to receive their passes, overall I didn't notice any difference in the quantity or quality of passes compared to my other 2 MCs (a BWMs and a B2B). In fact my BWM tend to have more passes than most other players on the pitch.

Thanks Herne. That's where I play Noble in that DLP.D slot so I'll leave it as it is. Still having issues against the bigger teams away though as there is always too much space between the midfield and defence no matter what I do. Players like Mata, Eriksen and co rip me apart Push up, drop off, man mark their AM all fail miserably. So difficult to defend I find. May I ask what team shape you used with your 4321?

Thanks Herne. That's where I play Noble in that DLP.D slot so I'll leave it as it is. Still having issues against the bigger teams away though as there is always too much space between the midfield and defence no matter what I do. Players like Mata, Eriksen and co rip me apart Push up, drop off, man mark their AM all fail miserably. So difficult to defend I find. May I ask what team shape you used with your 4321?

The base tactic uses Flexible, but I occasionally change things as matches progress.

Everything is described in here :)http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/435387-Zone-14-and-the-Christmas-Tree

The base tactic uses Flexible, but I occasionally change things as matches progress.

Everything is described in here :)http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/435387-Zone-14-and-the-Christmas-Tree

Thanks Herne much appreciated, had a look at various bits and bobs and seem to have finally got a way to get my left sided striker involved and seem to have created a decent counter pressing game which have got me a decent run of results with home wins over both Manchester Clubs and rare away wins at Spurs (3-1) and Arsenal (5-2). never looked at a TM really but now play Sakho as a TM S and Valencia as a F9 S with an AM A behind and all three are getting on the score sheet whereas before with Valencia as a CF A everything went through him and Sakho as a DLF S hardly ever received the ball. Early days but playing some wonderful stuff, pity FM16 is nearly out as it's taken me 11 months to get this far!!!

What really baffles me in this game is how inconsistent my tactics seem. I can win big one week and then get thrashed the next, without doing any changes at all. I realize I need to adapt to the opposition, but I can't play 4-5-1 one week and then something without wingers the next, I don't have the squad for that. I like to create a tactic and then build a squad for that, not keeping a lot of players for every possible position "just in case".

This game is soooo frustrating, and yet I come back to it again and again.. :-)

What really baffles me in this game is how inconsistent my tactics seem. I can win big one week and then get thrashed the next, without doing any changes at all. I realize I need to adapt to the opposition, but I can't play 4-5-1 one week and then something without wingers the next, I don't have the squad for that. I like to create a tactic and then build a squad for that, not keeping a lot of players for every possible position "just in case".

This game is soooo frustrating, and yet I come back to it again and again.. :-)

Erm why can't you always play 4-5-1 with slight adaptations? You're just making the game more complex for yourself if you think you always have to change shape. You're just causing the frustration yourself.

Also;

I can win big one week and then get thrashed the next, without doing any changes at all. I realize I need to adapt to the opposition

Adapt is maybe switching mentality or passing style. Changing shape isn't adapting, that's changing your approach.

Yeah. The thing is that just because you face a 4-1-4-1 one week and a 3-5-2 the next doesn't necessarily mean you need to adapt. You could play a 4-1-4-1 one week and the same formation the next, but they could play very differently in which case you might need to adapt. There's no point adapting for the sake of it, whilst conversely people shouldn't assume they never need to adapt. If you get a few seasons into the game, then it is easier to get away without tweaking your systems, because we have a massive advantage over the AI in terms of how we recruit and develop players.

Thing is, I have tried to make minor adjustments such as mentality and/or passing, but it is often hard to tell whether it works or not. I don't always see the big difference on the pitch. If I got it "right" we play well, and if I got it wrong, well.. Also, the question of "should I go with my default tactic, or do I need to change anything?"... I make the wrong decisions far too often, and then go on to concede a goal or two during the first ten minutes. Sometimes I manage to get back into the game, sometimes I don't.

Are there any clues to look for in advance on how the opposition will be playing? Will they close down or not, will they play short or direct, etc etc. Currently I have no other way than starting the game and watch for ten minutes, but if I got my initial setup wrong we're in for trouble straight away..

Thing is, I have tried to make minor adjustments such as mentality and/or passing, but it is often hard to tell whether it works or not. I don't always see the big difference on the pitch. If I got it "right" we play well, and if I got it wrong, well.. Also, the question of "should I go with my default tactic, or do I need to change anything?"... I make the wrong decisions far too often, and then go on to concede a goal or two during the first ten minutes. Sometimes I manage to get back into the game, sometimes I don't.

Are there any clues to look for in advance on how the opposition will be playing? Will they close down or not, will they play short or direct, etc etc. Currently I have no other way than starting the game and watch for ten minutes, but if I got my initial setup wrong we're in for trouble straight away..

I don't look at what the AI is doing at all, I just concentrate on what my team is doing and making sure they are doing what I want and expect of them. If I focused on the AI I'd be constantly changing things every game and that's far too much micromanagement that isn't really needed. Just understand the ins and outs of the shape and system you play and the rest takes care of itself.

Isn't that two sides of the same coin, so to speak? I know what I want from my team, but our opponent's tactic might stop us from doing just that. Which is why I need to also focus on the opposition and adjust?

Isn't that two sides of the same coin, so to speak? I know what I want from my team, but our opponent's tactic might stop us from doing just that. Which is why I need to also focus on the opposition and adjust?

Not really no it's two different things. If you concentrate on what the opposition is doing then you lose your own tactical identity, you don't really have one because you are forever changing. Where as concentrating on your own play and ignoring the AI you play the style you want all the time and make them adapt to you. An example for you;

You look at what the opposition is doing and you see they are having a lot of space between your defence and midfield. So you adapt so close that gap. However that might not have been a bad thing and might have been allowing you time to hit them on the counter.

Looking and watching what the AI is doing is always dangerous because when do you decide you've adapted enough or not enough? While, if you just focus on what you are doing both with and without the ball then its more clear and less confusing and requires less time on it.

In FMC is there much that you can do to assess how good the chances you create are as obviously there are no heat maps in the stats section? One of the biggest difficulties I find is that I have no idea why my team can create double the chances of the opposition and even double the shots on target but consistently lose games by the odd goal even when out gunning the opposition. Watching games the chances created look good chances a lot of the time but opposition goalkeepers are making what look like world class saves time after time but is it a good save or a bad miss? How do I know? You look at the stats and see that you striker has got 6 of his 7 shots on goal but hasn't scored but why>? How can I find out and rectify it? It just gets very frustrating seeing the opposition keeper play like Superman when you are 1-0 up and then they win 2-1 because of a penalty and your keeper letting one through his legs!!

Plus one other question > If you have "play less risky passes" on a full back/wing back/CWB does that mean he will not attempt as many crosses? Ie are crosses considered passes in this sense?

In FMC you can still save the PKM of the match so if you do that, from the Start Screen there is a "View Match" option. This forces the match viewer into the FM skin, so you can review Analysis there.

For FM16, FMC (Touch), will have these Analysis tools integrated into the game mode so you won't need to do this. :thup:

Is the lack of the analysis tab even the issue? If you watch the games and see the chances, then you're only seeing the same as the Analysis Tab would tell you anyway.

Plus one other question > If you have "play less risky passes" on a full back/wing back/CWB does that mean he will not attempt as many crosses? Ie are crosses considered passes in this sense?

Basically yes, but if they have an Attacking Duty then they will tend to hit a lot of crosses anyway, so the impact of the Play Less Risky Passes PI will not be enough to dramatically reduce that. Work Ball Into Box at a TI level is a better option, but that will also reduce Long Shots, which you mightn't want to do.

Thanks gents. These are good chances from what I can see. A lot of them are point blank saves similar to Neuer's save against Walcott this week, but several times a game!! I guess composure on my strikers could be partly a reason but it's difficult in FMC as even if you take control of training and target composure if it isn't a stat that can rise it doesn't and in a previous save I had Lukaku who has good composure and the keeper just kept saving his shots. It's strange because it depends on the save you play. Some saves a particular tactic and strategy works, the next save it doesn't. I had one save where Valencia as a CF A was banging them in for fun but this current save as I say the opposition goalkeeper just blocks everything.

Re Full backs with "play risky passes". I want FB's/WB's or CWB's to cross a lot in the final third but I don't want them playing silly balls out of defence where the risk of losing possession is high. I already have play out of defence as a TI so could play less risky passes be overkill? If you just wanted someone, getting forward, not dribbling much, not risking high risk passes but putting lots of crosses in which role would you use?

Well tried an experiment and put "shoot less" on all players that it was possible to do so. Went and scored 5 goals away with 6 CCC's! Go figure!!!

Well tried an experiment and put "shoot less" on all players that it was possible to do so. Went and scored 5 goals away with 6 CCC's! Go figure!!!

Well it's easy to explain, the players tend to only shoot when the chance is a good one when that instruction is on. Although they still need options but if you have this then the shot quality should improve.

Well it's easy to explain, the players tend to only shoot when the chance is a good one when that instruction is on. Although they still need options but if you have this then the shot quality should improve.

Well interestingly enough Valencia has now bagged two hat-tricks in two games although a lot of that maybe due to the fact that he has a long shot PPM so uaually wastes a lot of possession through doing that. Goals from crosses have crept up as well as have CCC's but of course shot count has dropped, however I'd rather have 6 shots on target from 10 attempts than 6 on target from 40 attempts!! Since asking players to shoot less my penalty count has increased as well.

Cleon, What is the difference between getting players to shoot less and work ball into the box? I assume a big part of the difference would be that with just PI's of shoot less crosses would be as normal where WBIB would reduce crosses?

Also what are peoples opinions and experiences on tighter marking? I play a 4312 but find it gets cut open too much.. I have been experimenting with tight marking on full backs and the AM plus the two strikers and seems to be working ok' ish but not convinced. I know certainly tighter marking is a no no for centre backs but is there a benefit to using it on some players?

In recent games with tighter marking I have noticed that the oppositions shot count has gone down. Played Leicester at home and drew 2-2 in the Cup. In the replay stuck tighter marking on Mark Noble in the centre and won 5-0. Maybe he kept Cambiasso quiet so maybe there are benefits....

Hi guys,

I've been using my successful 4-4-2 with Arsenal for quite a while, but I've had a few issues with certain players PPMs, namely the two players competing for my ML role - Sanchez and Cazorla.

Cazorla has the "Shoots from Distance" PPM, which sees him take shots when there's no real need to shoot at all.

Sanchez has the "Runs with ball often", which routinely see's him flattened (and more often than not, injured).

Both players are used as an AP(A), which works really well, but I'm unable to reduce shooting or dribbling via the Instructions for this role. Is there any way I can replicate the AP(A) role with another role, which would allow me to stop them from wasting possession?

Hi guys,

I've been using my successful 4-4-2 with Arsenal for quite a while, but I've had a few issues with certain players PPMs, namely the two players competing for my ML role - Sanchez and Cazorla.

Cazorla has the "Shoots from Distance" PPM, which sees him take shots when there's no real need to shoot at all.

Sanchez has the "Runs with ball often", which routinely see's him flattened (and more often than not, injured).

Both players are used as an AP(A), which works really well, but I'm unable to reduce shooting or dribbling via the Instructions for this role. Is there any way I can replicate the AP(A) role with another role, which would allow me to stop them from wasting possession?

You can't control PPM's with settings because even if you changed the tactical settings the player will still use his PPM when he decides. The only way of stopping it is to unlearn the PPM's. PPM's are tendencies so that means its all down to the players decision making on how often he uses them.

I bet it has been answered before, but I wonder how to get around using the same tactic more than one season. When I find I system that works, I don´t understand why I have to contantly change the tactic in order for it to work. I guess my question is how do I change the tactic so I can not "get found out" by the opponent. Do I have to change the tactic before every game. I am a fan of the "Plug and Play" kind of FM, but I guess those times are over...

I bet it has been answered before, but I wonder how to get around using the same tactic more than one season. When I find I system that works, I don´t understand why I have to contantly change the tactic in order for it to work. I guess my question is how do I change the tactic so I can not "get found out" by the opponent. Do I have to change the tactic before every game. I am a fan of the "Plug and Play" kind of FM, but I guess those times are over...

There is no such thing as "getting found out" or a tactic stopping to work how it's supposed to work.

What does happen after a successful season is your reputation changes which can change the way other teams play against you. Another factor is increased pressure on your players or possible complacency or lack of motivation.

btw. If you find the answer make sure to contact Mourinho, he might have a job for you!

Always wondered, in your opinion, is 0% match training really a bad thing? From what I understand it just gives a little boost to whatever selected-is this necessary with a solid tactic?

Tactic familiarity will slowly go down if it's not set to at least 10%.

Speaking of which, which default match training focus would you prefer for a dominating team such as Arsenal? I've had Attacking Movement most of the time but maybe Teamwork is a more clever choice? Or Defensive Positioning to make conceding from counters less likely to happen?

Speaking of which, which default match training focus would you prefer for a dominating team such as Arsenal? I've had Attacking Movement most of the time but maybe Teamwork is a more clever choice? Or Defensive Positioning to make conceding from counters less likely to happen?

I never adjust mine from Teamwork. Especially with 10% match training it's only going to make a very slight significance, if any.

Tactic familiarity will slowly go down if it's not set to at least 10%.

This is not true at all. Tactic familiarity only goes down if you bring new players in or switch TI's or because the season has finished. It doesn't diminish on it's own. I don't use match training as a rule because I like my players to have all training time spent on development instead. I think I mentioned this in the Ajax thread at various points.

It doesn't really make a difference you only get a very slight boost for the next game and it's hardly noticeable so just select what you think might be more beneficial for you.

This is not true at all. Tactic familiarity only goes down if you bring new players in or switch TI's or because the season has finished. It doesn't diminish on it's own. I don't use match training as a rule because I like my players to have all training time spent on development instead. I think I mentioned this in the Ajax thread at various points.

Hmm, well my apologies must have been a coincidence then because I swear I kept an eye on this for FM15. Had switched over to no match training for 3 games and lost some familiarity and immediately switched back to 10% which is how I've always played. Could have been one of the reasons you mentioned, don't recall at this point.

Has anybody used a tactic without any attacking duties? As for Chelsea, this is my current setup;

TacticalOverview.png

Roles and Duties: (assistants reports of B Pos, B Role, B Duty)

Courtois: GK-D (Goalkeeper - Defend) none

Ivanovic: FB-Auto (Limited Full Back - Defend) shoot less often, dribble less, hold position, fewer risky passes, cross less often

Cahill: CD-D (Limited Defender - Defend) more direct passes

Terry: CD-D (Central Defender - Stopper) close down more

Azpilicueta: WB-Auto (Wingback - Defend) hold position, fewer risky passes, cross from deep

Fabregas: CM-S (Advanced Playmaker - Support) shoot less often, dribble more, more risky passes

Matic: CM-D (Ancorman - Defend) shoot less often, dribble less, fewer risky passes

Pedro: W-S or A? (Raumdeuter - Attack) roam from position, pass it shorter, sit narrower (changed role to IF-A)

Oscar: AM-S (Advanced Playmaker - Support) shoot less often, dribble more, hold position, more risky passes

Hazard: IF-S (Inside Forward - Support) none

Costa: DLF-S or CF-S? (Defensive Forward - Defend) close down more, tackle harder, hold position, fewer risky passes (changed role to TM-S)

I'm thinking of a tactic without any specialist roles at all but with PI's try to make them like they have.

Is this possible and a good idea you think? Inputs please.

Cheers ;)

I also noticed that we are conceding an unusually big number of goals in the last 15 minutes of the game. Assists are coming from both flanks. They are either from dangerous crosses from the byline after a quick break against us or from corners. My current 4-2-3-1 Wide tactic (Very Fluid/Control + close down more and press higher) uses high pressing on opponent's half, and my both full backs are set as WB/s. I pay close attention to player condition and fitness levels and always prefer players who are less fatigued. Given all this, could you suggest possible causes of this?

conceded.jpg

Thanks!

What the hell is so good about this tactic I've formed? This seems stupid on paper but in practice it is working so well so far!

Formation: 4-1-1-3-1 DM Wide (Sometimes 4-1-1-3-1 DM WB Wide)

Mentality: Control

Team Shape: Stuctured

Team Instructions: Retain Possession, Shorter Passing, Work Ball Into Box, Play Out Of Defence, Exploit The Middle, Play Narrower, Prevent Short GK Distribution, Use Offside Trap, Lower Tempo

Goalkeeper: Sweeper Keeper - Support

Fullbacks (DL + DR) (Sometimes WBL + WBR): Inverted Wing Backs - Support

Centre Backs: Central Defenders - Defend

Defensive Midfielder: Regista - Support

Centre Midfielder: Central Midfielder - Defend

Attacking Widemen (AML + AMR) Wingers - Attack

Centre Attacking Midfielder: Attacking Midfielder - Attack

Striker: Advanced Forward - Attack

No OIs or PIs. This just seems to work for some reason, and I want to know why.

Re #7277: Nothing good really, it just has 4 attack Duties in the final third overwhelming the back line.

I also noticed that we are conceding an unusually big number of goals in the last 15 minutes of the game. Assists are coming from both flanks. They are either from dangerous crosses from the byline after a quick break against us or from corners. My current 4-2-3-1 Wide tactic (Very Fluid/Control + close down more and press higher) uses high pressing on opponent's half, and my both full backs are set as WB/s. I pay close attention to player condition and fitness levels and always prefer players who are less fatigued. Given all this, could you suggest possible causes of this?

conceded.jpg

Thanks!

I'm answering myself. Since I'm using high pressing and my deepest players are near the half-way line throughout the match, it's likely that the opposition will start to play longer balls into open space come the end of the match. My wing-backs are likely to be out of position to deal with this threat. Corners are very likely just a bad luck, because I'm using default instructions for set pieces and never had a problem before or after.

Your ideas?