Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Anyone?!

I would try to unlearn the PPM if you can, but it might not work. The PPM is going to override anything else and he will still tend to do it. Alternatively you can try and balance it out with the PPM Runs with ball often. In that case I would think the decision stat and position with regards to defender would dictate which option he does. I don't know how well it would work, but it could do.

Question about my striker Enner Valencia. Has been brilliant for me and scored plenty of goals as a CF A but he has this annoying tendency of shooting from distance which probably stops him bagging another 5-10 goals a season at least. The quandary is that some of them go in so what do you do?! Live with it, get him to unlearn his PPM of "shoots from distance" or focus his attention in training on composure, long shots or another attribute ? On FMC so haven't had too much success with training.

I did think of getting him to dribble more as this is the annoyance of his long shots. Most of them are in a race with the defender and he clearly has the pace to go on into the penalty area but instead he shoots before the area which is very frustrating, but "dribble more" is already a PI of the role. TI of "work ball into box" is over kill and I did try "shoot less" as a PI but that sends him too far the other way. "Shoot less" is actually brilliant on CM's as it helps them pass the ball more but on a striker it really is overkill.

So it's the balance I am looking for. I want him to continue to be prolific but at the same time reduce the occasions he gets a rush of blood!! Thoughts appreciated?

I personally don't mind long shots. I know people tend to use "work ball into the box" and I used to do the same but lately I'm tending to allow my players to shoot from distance if they want to. In general most bad long shots are not because a player thinks it's a good idea to take a shot but because he doesn't have any other options available. If he is racing a defender it can look like he can beat the visual representation might not show that he is losing a strength dual or is about to get tackled so it's hard to be sure that shooting isn't the best option for him at the moment. You can try to unlearn the ppm if you want, I'd personally try to work with it.

I have a question concerning learning PPMs.

What do I have to keep an eye on when selecting a coach to carry out the training? Which attributes are important to ensure or at least improve the chance that the training will be successful? Or is it mentality?

Thanks fellas, definitely food for thought, I'll try a few of your ideas. Maybe just getting him to train on long shots might work!!!

BTW rather than start up a new thread I thought I would quickly ask here. Watching the Hammers last night I noticed that they were pretty useful in counter attack mode. They played what seemed to be a 4231 with Payet and Moses wide. However both were fantastic in their defending with both tracking back into deep areas in and around West Ham's area.

Possible to replicate in any way in FM?!

I'm thinking of trying to play a fast breaking counter tactic, is it viable to choose Attacking as the mentality with drop much deeper and close down much less as TIs?

Thanks fellas, definitely food for thought, I'll try a few of your ideas. Maybe just getting him to train on long shots might work!!!

BTW rather than start up a new thread I thought I would quickly ask here. Watching the Hammers last night I noticed that they were pretty useful in counter attack mode. They played what seemed to be a 4231 with Payet and Moses wide. However both were fantastic in their defending with both tracking back into deep areas in and around West Ham's area.

Possible to replicate in any way in FM?!

You'd use a 4 defenders, 2 dmc, ML/MR, MC and a striker. That's how I'd set up to recreate any kind of real life 4231 and then the defending side of the tactic will be spot on.

I'm thinking of trying to play a fast breaking counter tactic, is it viable to choose Attacking as the mentality with drop much deeper and close down much less as TIs?

It is but remember what you are trying to achieve. If you play attacking even with dropping much deeper and close down less it's still going to be really aggressive and you'll still be very high up the pitch. Higher up the pitch you play the less space you have and it becomes more unlikely that you'll get the numbers advantage to start counter attacks regular. That's not to say it can't work sporadically but attacking isn't the best for building a counter attacking game.

You'd use a 4 defenders, 2 dmc, ML/MR, MC and a striker. That's how I'd set up to recreate any kind of real life 4231 and then the defending side of the tactic will be spot on.

Thanks Cleon. I did try that format before as I do think it's more lifelike than having 3 AMC's but I found it very tough as an attacking threat, mind you I went with direct passing pretty much and since then I have thought that it is asking an awful lot on one striker if you just lump it forward. Is counter attack possible with shorter passing, play out of defence sort of TI's? Almost like pass, pass, pass, killer ball, rather than hoof and hope? Plus any solo striker is better on support in this set up yes?

I found 15 year old DM who I think I can train to be an excellent sweeper (by Conference North standards at least) and even better, he's a Model Professional. I was going to tutor him but from what I found when looking for information on tutoring, it would only hurt him as his professionalism is so high already. Is this right? And if so, then pretty much all I can do to help him progress is give him playing time? Was thinking I'll start him out in the U18s for the first half of the season, maybe playing him in cup games and then move him up to U21s with occasional appearances in the senior team off the bench.

I found 15 year old DM who I think I can train to be an excellent sweeper (by Conference North standards at least) and even better, he's a Model Professional. I was going to tutor him but from what I found when looking for information on tutoring, it would only hurt him as his professionalism is so high already. Is this right? And if so, then pretty much all I can do to help him progress is give him playing time? Was thinking I'll start him out in the U18s for the first half of the season, maybe playing him in cup games and then move him up to U21s with occasional appearances in the senior team off the bench.

I think you should keep him in the U18 until he's 17 and move him up to the U21 after that. I think you should also consider giving him some games in cup ties when he's 17 as well and then when he's 18, he should be playing week in and week out

As for tutoring, I really don't have much detail about your player to answer that. What are his other mental attributes? Who do you want to tutor him??

I think you should keep him in the U18 until he's 17 and move him up to the U21 after that. I think you should also consider giving him some games in cup ties when he's 17 as well and then when he's 18, he should be playing week in and week out

As for tutoring, I really don't have much detail about your player to answer that. What are his other mental attributes? Who do you want to tutor him??

Tommy%20Hart_%20Overview%20Profile.png

Model professional, average determination. Reserved in handling media. No leadership. I brought in a veteran central defender who is also a model professional and reserved with media with the idea of tutoring him.

Eh..then I wouldn't tutor him...
What are his other mental attributes? Who do you want to tutor him??

Determination has nothing to do with youth development so not sure why you'd advise someone based on that stat alone not to tutor. Also not sure why his other mental attributes matter as they have nothing at all to do with tutoring and don't get altered. The only visible attribute that can change as a direct result of tutoring is determination but that doesn't mean it's important for youth development as its not.

Tecmo - Model professional is a good personality type to have but there are a lot better if you want to have a chance of him reaching his potential ever. A player needs professionalism and ambition to be able to achieve this, he needs both not one or the other but both. Here is a personality guide that should make the decision easier for you when selecting personality types;

http://sisportscentre.com/player-personality-tutoring/

If you want a player to develop then game time is the biggest single most important factor once they have a personality type with ambition and professionalism. Play them as much as you can, the age you play them from doesn't matter it can't really harm them unless you play them when injured or tired. More game time = better development and quicker.

Thank you for the assistance, I think I have my head wrapped around it better now. Probably won't tutor Hart unless I find someone I know has high professionalism and higher ambition than him. We'll go ahead and throw him into the fire as much as possible this season, we're pretty safely mid-table anyway although my first friendly forays with my sweeper tactic were a bit ugly.

If my reserve team is empty, will my u19's be automatically be called up to play matches for the reserves instead of greyed out players?

What are the merits of the "Get Stuck In" instruction?

It means that if you have very good defenders, then they will pro-actively assert themselves. It can also serve to intimidate players with poor technique.

It means that if you have very good defenders, then they will pro-actively assert themselves. It can also serve to intimidate players with poor technique.

Mechanically doesn't it set tackling to hard for all players? I can't recall as I haven't used it in ages.

Mechanically doesn't it set tackling to hard for all players? I can't recall as I haven't used it in ages.

Yes. That's the impact of using the TI.

If my reserve team is empty, will my u19's be automatically be called up to play matches for the reserves instead of greyed out players?

I've never seen that happen on any of my saves, the reserve team usually just plays with a bunch of greyed out players, however I haven't been well-travelled on FM15 so it might vary depending upon the league you play in?

I wanted to use it to win the ball back quickly, guess it doesn't have the desired effect? Just increases risk of fouls.

Hello.

I have two questions, one of them is for Cleon, if you dont mind.

First is, does it make sense to make a player in CM position with poor vision to come deep to get the ball in a tactic with no DMC?

Cleon, regarding training, i remember in older FM versions, your method was to change individual training focus every 3 months for a player. Did you also count those 3 months in the end of the season when the players were in vacation?

Thanks!

I wanted to use it to win the ball back quickly, guess it doesn't have the desired effect? Just increases risk of fouls.

If you have good tacklers it could help as your men will be more aggressive in deciding to challenge

Hello.

I have two questions, one of them is for Cleon, if you dont mind.

First is, does it make sense to make a player in CM position with poor vision to come deep to get the ball in a tactic with no DMC?

Cleon, regarding training, i remember in older FM versions, your method was to change individual training focus every 3 months for a player. Did you also count those 3 months in the end of the season when the players were in vacation?

Thanks!

Why would it make sense for someone poor who can't see all the options available, to be the one who drops deep and acts as the link player?

As for training no I don't count the 3 months vacation because they're not training obviously :D

hehe thanks Cleon.

That's what i tought, stupid idea. Both my DLP who play in CM position did not learn that PPM. The other option would be another player for the same position with good defensive attributes but not as good vision. I will not make that mistake then.

I found some notes on preseason training that I think I made via Cleons Ajax thread.

My note simply says - "no individual player training preseason"

So does that mean no new PPMs?

Or no new positions?

Or no "new" role training?

Or all of the above :)

2 question

1.anybody know what combination role to made scholes-keane combination on man utd 99/00 squad?

2.I'm bit unsure,if I want a lone striker without AMC partner, with attack role, beside deep lying forward, what's good for him so he is not isolated? And if I got AMC as partner, still advanced forward/poacher got isolated as lone striker

2 question

.I'm bit unsure,if I want a lone striker without AMC partner, with attack role, beside deep lying forward, what's good for him so he is not isolated? And if I got AMC as partner, still advanced forward/poacher got isolated as lone striker

AF and Poachers are the furthest forward playing striker positions, so I have found they will need an aggressive midfielder or two behind them not to get isolated during normal build-up. If you have an AM that will push up into the box regularly that would help. Otherwise you could look to a deeper playing role like defensive forward, and use attack or support duties as you see necessary to provide the right mix for you. A target man support will come deeper, but with the disadvantage that players will direct passing at him a lot more. What would be your objection to a deep-lying forward? I have used one as a lone striker and found it to work well, he still scored a gob of goals.

So I'm managing Frankfurt (Bundesliga) an my team is a decent middle of the table kind of team. The problem is when i compared my team to the rest of the league the passing, First touch and compose attributes are the wordt in the league. I do have a physical team though. How do I handle this? Play direct or short passing? Tempo? What's a good way to utilize a non-passing, physical team.

What do you do to keep your players' match fitness up at the end of the season when there aren't as many fixtures on the schedule? After the cup runs are over I don't really need to rotate to rest players and even the players who play regularly lose a little bit of match fitness with a week in between fixtures. Should I be scheduling friendlies or U21 match to keep the rest of the squad fit?

What's the difference between 'comes deep to get ball' and 'plays with back to goal', and why can't a player learn both?

What's the difference :confused: it's completely different: the first one means the player will drop / come deep (near the midfield) to get the ball; the second also means exactly what it says, with his back to the goal.

If a player plays with his back to goal, he won't drop deep to get the ball? And if a player comes deep to get the ball, surely his back will be facing the goal? And my original other question - why can't a player learn both?

Well, if the distance moved away from the goal is very different then we have two very different movement patterns that would be contradicting at the same time. Just my two cents.

Movement != Body Position. They both may have there back to goal but the positioning changes the role it has.

Playing with your back to goal you aren't looking to drop deep to collect the ball. Your looking to receive the ball, to your feet, in an advanced area. From there you can roll the defender, flick it on, play it back etc.

If you've dropped deeper to collect the ball, your looking to play through balls, dribble at defender etc.

If a player plays with his back to goal, he won't drop deep to get the ball? And if a player comes deep to get the ball, surely his back will be facing the goal? And my original other question - why can't a player learn both?

They can have both.

Was something changed in a recent patch then, because every time I've tried to teach it to a player who plays with his back to goal, the option doesn't exist. I can't check right now as I've got Giroud learning another PPM.

Ok so look at this. https://youtu.be/sdjkumVS8A0?t=13m32s

Koscielny gets the ball, plays around with it and then tries to pass to Giroud, who is promptly tackled. Giroud is playing with his back to goal but simultaneously has come deep to get the ball. How would you go about replicating that movement?

Your thinking of absolutes. Just because a player as a "Preferred Move" does not mean "does it everytime". They don't have to have that PPM to come deeper. If there instructions tell them to work that area they will, it depends on a number of factors (Role+Duty, Team Shape etc). DLF-S should work the area highlighted in that video.

Was something changed in a recent patch then, because every time I've tried to teach it to a player who plays with his back to goal, the option doesn't exist. I can't check right now as I've got Giroud learning another PPM.

No, I've got my own players to have both and I've seen the AI players with both since FM13 so it's nothing to do with a recent patch.

After Giroud's finished PPM training I'll check again. How do you do it? Through PPM training or tutoring?

All PPM's can now be learnt via PPM training. There are no exclusive tutoring ones any longer. On my current save I found this player playing in Iceland;

UwLWBGD.png

Why should he drop ? The two movements don't relate with each other. A player that plays with his back to goal is a movement much more appropriate to a Striker (AF, Target Man, Poacher), creates space because of his presence and drawing the opponents to himself; a player who drops deep creates space because of his roaming from position dropping deep in this case, it's more appropriate for a False 9, a Number 10, a DLF or even for midfielders.

All PPM's can now be learnt via PPM training. There are no exclusive tutoring ones any longer. On my current save I found this player playing in Iceland;

Cleon, when you say can now be learnt do you mean FM15 or FM16 ?

Cleon, when you say can now be learnt do you mean FM15 or FM16 ?

It was changed for FM15.

It was changed for FM15.

Thanks. I think there's a ppm about finishing that is not listed, but I don't know the original term. There's: places shots, shoots from distance, Refrains from taking long shots, Shoots with Power, Attempts overhead kicks, Lob Keeper and Round Keeper. But there's another one about to give an effect to the ball (the bold word is surely translated badly).

Thanks. I think there's a ppm about finishing that is not listed, but I don't know the original term. There's: places shots, shoots from distance, Refrains from taking long shots, Shoots with Power, Attempts overhead kicks, Lob Keeper and Round Keeper. But there's another one about to give an effect to the ball (the bold word is surely translated badly).

Curls ball. They can all be taught there are no longer exclusive tutoring only PPM's.