Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The page with players will be specific to that player and the page with position effects anyone who plays in that position that doesnt have player specific instructions.

Ahh, that makes sense, thanks Kamakazeee :-)

Pre match, I'm on the opposition instructions and can't see it. It's just the shirt with name and number but no roles? Is there something I need to click in preferences?

Oh, I forgot what custom skin I'm using but at the prematch I also cant see their roles. I set OI manually when I'm at the match already n there the opposition roles can be seen. Idk if with default skin u can see the roles at pre-match.

It's never set as a default instruction, of course each more attacking mentality will have a higher default D-Line which can see less mobile opposition forwards being caught offside more often than they otherwise would.

If it is a selectable option, then it isn't enabled within the default settings.
It's never set as a default instruction, of course each more attacking mentality will have a higher default D-Line which can see less mobile opposition forwards being caught offside more often than they otherwise would.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me RTHerringbone and Barside.

I have lots of stupid questions.

1: Why did my season crash and burn when it mattered the most? The cup final was pathetic. I destroyed GA Eagles only days before, but in the final it was like I was playing Barcelona at full strength..

szzpr9.jpg

2: Why did my team play so much better when I changed from "fluid" to "structured"? I read the "Lines and Diamonds", Fluid is what I want from my team, but it didn't work out as planned. I started changing various things, one at the time before changing back, and when I went from "fluid" to "structured" things just clicked. I guess my real question is "how do I know what to choose?". Clearly just having an idea of what you want from your team isn't enough..

3: Can I discipline my players in FMC? I hate my GK right now..

Opposite team plays high line when it is losing. Most of them use 4-3-3- with 3 strikers formation. My team tries lots of risky pass and through ball. But I want to play safe because my team loses lots of possession because of the through ball. In the past, there is a TI which was called pass to the feet. But what can I do now? slower tempo? But this TI does nothing for me.

• Administrators
I have lots of stupid questions.

1: Why did my season crash and burn when it mattered the most? The cup final was pathetic. I destroyed GA Eagles only days before, but in the final it was like I was playing Barcelona at full strength..

szzpr9.jpg

AI approaches matches differently depending on the situation. I am going to guess you didn't change a thing, which can be a problem unless you're supremely confident in your side and tactics. I really can't say with any certainty what your issue is, but I'm going to guess that you didn't change anything when you needed to. I tend to find I can over perform with my sides by being shrewd with tactics and team selection, particularly changing tactic to suit the situation as often as I want in FMC.

2: Why did my team play so much better when I changed from "fluid" to "structured"? I read the "Lines and Diamonds", Fluid is what I want from my team, but it didn't work out as planned. I started changing various things, one at the time before changing back, and when I went from "fluid" to "structured" things just clicked. I guess my real question is "how do I know what to choose?". Clearly just having an idea of what you want from your team isn't enough..

3: Can I discipline my players in FMC? I hate my GK right now..

2) It sounds like Fluid just doesn't suit your side, whether they are unable to cope with the additional freedom given or they are just better managed with a more strict setup. Take another look at your players and in particularly matches in fluid vs structured where you've used the same setup. See what your players are doing differently, look at their confidence levels going into these games. A team low on more I don't use fluid/very fluid at all, but thats just my own personal approach and nothing gospel.

3) Yes you can. News items where they warrant it will give you the option to fine players for sending offs and things like missing training etc for newness. For poor performances though, you will need to go into their actions menu after a match. If it doesn't appear then for some reason doesn't apply.

As for hating your GK, might want to look at the men in front of him. I'm in League 2 right now and my GK is performing even better this season than last (in the Conference) due to the people in front of him. He's scoring less this season sadly but he's much better defensively.

AI approaches matches differently depending on the situation. I am going to guess you didn't change a thing, which can be a problem unless you're supremely confident in your side and tactics. I really can't say with any certainty what your issue is, but I'm going to guess that you didn't change anything when you needed to. I tend to find I can over perform with my sides by being shrewd with tactics and team selection, particularly changing tactic to suit the situation as often as I want in FMC.

True. I didn't change anything, as my opponents didn't stand a chance in the previous league encounter. I also got an early 1-0 lead in the final, but it quickly went downhill from there. I did change things when I started struggling in the final, but in retrospect it is obvious I should have changed something else...

2) It sounds like Fluid just doesn't suit your side, whether they are unable to cope with the additional freedom given or they are just better managed with a more strict setup. Take another look at your players and in particularly matches in fluid vs struct"bettured where you've used the same setup. See what your players are doing differently, look at their confidence levels going into these games. A team low on more I don't use fluid/very fluid at all, but thats just my own personal approach and nothing gospel.

Thanks, helpful ideas there. Just wondering, could this be simplified to "better players = more fluid? Do average players perform better in a more structured approach? I am playing as Utrecht, a mid-table team in Holland, without any reinforcements. We were predicted 7th (?) and finished 5th. Decent season overall.

3) Yes you can. News items where they warrant it will give you the option to fine players for sending offs and things like missing training etc for newness. For poor performances though, you will need to go into their actions menu after a match. If it doesn't appear then for some reason doesn't apply.

As for hating your GK, might want to look at the men in front of him. I'm in League 2 right now and my GK is performing even better this season than last (in the Conference) due to the people in front of him. He's scoring less this season sadly but he's much better defensively.

I couldn't find the discipline option, but I guess he wasn't really any worse than the others anyway. The Heerenveen game (0-4) was actually an even contest, but they scored on their chances and I didn't.

Thank you for your thorough reply. My post was really just for blowing off some steam. :lol: Thing is, I don't have a clue with this game. I come from the old CM era and the game has changed massively since CM 01/02. The tactic part in FM15 is just overwhelming. I feel I am reading guides over and over again but I still don't "get" it. You guys in SI might want to do something about that for FM16. Experienced FM'ers will probably play FM16 without much hassle, but being a newcomer to this game series is not an easy task.

Is there anything I can do tactically to stop conceding so many long range efforts/ unlikely goals?

I've only won 1 game so far this season (in 9) drawn 5 (4 from winning positions) and lost 3 (2 from winning positions) and more often than not the equalizing goal is a long range effort.

I play either

--------------GK-D-------------

FB-S -- DC-D -- DC-D -- FB-S

-------------- A-D -------------

------- CM-A --- CM-S--------

W-S-----------------------IF-S

--------------DLF-S-----------

OR

FB-S -- DC-D -- DC-D -- FB-S

--------------------------------

------- DLP-D --- DLP-S--------

W-S-----------E-A---------IF-S

--------------DLF-S-----------

I tend to use a direct, high tempo style of play. Deep defensive line if using defensive mentality, high defensive line and high closing down if more offensive.

I concede far too many long range efforts from both defensive strategies, so could just be my goalkeepers' poor positioning stats, even so is there anyway to reduce the amount?

I'm thinking of changing one of my CM's (or even both) to close down a lot more, to give my defence a bit more protection and to try and keep my anchor man in position, but I'm worried that if the CM is caught out of position my anchor man will look to cover for him and leave my defence exposed.

(Just as I'm writing this I've just conceded a goal from a stupid angle :seagull: )

What's your reason for using a defensive strategy with drop deeper TI? You could probably stop their through balls but you also give them a lot more space just outside to try those long shots you mentioned.

Yes, gk could also be a factor.

I tend to use a direct, high tempo style of play. Deep defensive line if using defensive mentality, high defensive line and high closing down if more offensive.

I concede far too many long range efforts from both defensive strategies, so could just be my goalkeepers' poor positioning stats, even so is there anyway to reduce the amount?

You need to remember (not sure if you know this) but a Defensive mentality, being defensive, will already have little closing down and a deep line as default. If you're dropping it even deeper, it's possible that you are just too deep and giving them way too much room.

Opposite team plays high line when it is losing. Most of them use 4-3-3- with 3 strikers formation. My team tries lots of risky pass and through ball. But I want to play safe because my team loses lots of possession because of the through ball. In the past, there is a TI which was called pass to the feet. But what can I do now? slower tempo? But this TI does nothing for me.

Retain Possession? IIRC it lowers tempo, shortens passing and reduces through balls, so it should be exactly what you're looking for.

Is there any benefit for a striker who mainly play as a F9 (or other drop deeper-striker roles) to possess arrives late in opposition area?

I have a striker who came from club's academy as a central midfielder. When he was still a CM I trained him arrives late in opposition area. but a very long injury suffered by my main striker changed my plan on the young midfielder. After successfuly converted him into a forward + taught him comes deep to get ball I saw that he displayed a playstyle I expect from a F9, better than his long gone senior who only has comes deep to get ball even thought the long gone senior attributes were not inferior to him both technical n mental.

Idk for sure if arrives late into opposition area is the main reason. Both payers are quite consistent performers at their peak so I ruled consistency out. I might be wrong. But this former central midfielder is seemingly play better n involved more in the same system his senior used to play.

What's your reason for using a defensive strategy with drop deeper TI? You could probably stop their through balls but you also give them a lot more space just outside to try those long shots you mentioned.

Yes, gk could also be a factor.

My defence was getting caught out too often from high balls over the top and through balls through the middle. Changed a few things around, staying with the more aggressive defensive style has helped. Got my full backs putting challenges in now which has stopped the opposition wingers cutting inside and laying it off for a long range attempt.

Got my Anchor Man to close down less so he stays in position and makes it harder/less likely for the ball to be played into those areas.

Changed my CM-S to a Box to Box midfielder and it's helped to tighten up the defence a little bit.

You need to remember (not sure if you know this) but a Defensive mentality, being defensive, will already have little closing down and a deep line as default. If you're dropping it even deeper, it's possible that you are just too deep and giving them way too much room.

Yeah my idea was to soak up pressure and to cut out the balls through the defence and the missed headers from balls over the top. It seems like that lead to my Full Backs allowing the wingers to do what they wanted and the gap between my DM and the rest of my midfield being way too big.

After making changes I've actually managed to start keeping clean sheets, and when I am conceding it's the odd goal from a cross or counter attack.

Are some PI's counter productive to what you are trying to achieve mentality wise? For instance if you say start with a standard mentality with some roles using PI's of "less risky passes" would then a change to an attacking mentality but sticking with those PI's be counter productive as obviously attacking is more risk and reward so those PI's could affect what you are trying to achieve with that mentality?

On the subject of "less risky passes". Are crosses considered passes? Reason I ask is that say you have that PI on full backs/wing backs. Does that mean that they will cross less than if you weren't using that PI?

Something that keeps coming up a lot is the relationship between mentality and roles, which I'm still always a bit fuzzy on (FM14 here)

If I have an attacking mentality, but add in the requisite shouts to make it more like a counter or standard mentality ( drop deeper, lower tempo, close down less etc) will it then behave exactly like a standard or counter mentality. I realise Counter has a sort of 'counter attack' feature so maybe doesn't apply so much. But still.

Something that keeps coming up a lot is the relationship between mentality and roles, which I'm still always a bit fuzzy on (FM14 here)

If I have an attacking mentality, but add in the requisite shouts to make it more like a counter or standard mentality ( drop deeper, lower tempo, close down less etc) will it then behave exactly like a standard or counter mentality. I realise Counter has a sort of 'counter attack' feature so maybe doesn't apply so much. But still.

It won't, because of Mentality itself. They'll still play more risky football. Take more chances with passes, tackles, shots, dribbles and forward runs.

The passing structure is also different. Attack has short passing at the back with direct passing up front. The Counter (technically, Defend) is the opposite.

Not exactly the same, no. Very broadly you may see some similarities, but there will be differences:- not only in TIs (attacking mentality + Drop deeper won't give you as deep a line as say counter for example) but different mentalities also affect individual player mentalities.

By the way, the "counter attack" feature is kind of a misnomer. You can get counter attacks with any mentality, however you may see a few more counter attacks with different mentalities (Defensive, Counter and Attacking if I remember correctly).

Not exactly the same, no. Very broadly you may see some similarities, but there will be differences:- not only in TIs (attacking mentality + Drop deeper won't give you as deep a line as say counter for example) but different mentalities also affect individual player mentalities.

By the way, the "counter attack" feature is kind of a misnomer. You can get counter attacks with any mentality, however you may see a few more counter attacks with different mentalities (Defensive, Counter and Attacking if I remember correctly).

Doesnt counter attack activate a sort of 'full attack mode' when the situation right?

In my current save I'm in my 3rd season with Schalke.

It's one of my first saves on FM15 that I've recently revisited. The first 2 and a bit seasons we played a strikerless 4-3-3-0 formation but since picking up the save again I've employed my staple tactic on FM15 which is a 4-1-2-2-1 set up as follows:

GK - Fahrmann - Sweeper Keeper (D)

DR - Jung - Full Back (S)

DL - Telles - Wing Back (A)

DC - Howedes - Centre Back (D)

DC - Sule - Centre Back (D)

DM - Gil Romero - Deep Lying Playmaker (D)

CM - Goretzka - B2B Midfielder (S)

CM - Tielemans - Advanced Playmaker (A)

AMR - Meyer - Winger (A)

AML - Draxler - Inside Forward (S)

ST - Avdijaj - Complete Forward (S)

This tactic has been pretty solid across the board in all of my saves, though they are usually with bigger teams, with better players. The main knock on it and something I want to change and encourage is the lack of link up/partnership(s) with my ST and the AM(s) and/or supporting midfielders.

I also feel that Meyer in particular is isolated in the winger role and would like both him and Draxler (though Draxler is scoring freely as the IF), to be closer to Avdijaj and to generally create mahyem and slick interplay. However my concern is that they will all get in eachother's way and want to occupy the same space.

I'm happy to change the shape of the team, though essentially I want a back four with midfield protection for when the fullbacks join in the attacking play, a midfield that supports and links with the attacking players and attacking interplay between Draxler, Avdijaj and Meyer resulting in goals.

In season 2 with the strikerless formation Goretzka was our top scorer from central midfield and with the 4-1-2-2-1 Draxler is the top scorer from AML. I think what I'm after is funneling more/varied/better chances to my ST and have Draxler and Meyer closer and creating a partnership with Avdijaj, rather than being stuck out on the wings.

I hope that makes sense. Any help is appreciated. ;)

Anyone have any tips on how to set up a successful corner tactic?

Try this. It doesn't give you alot of direct goals from corners but will give you alot of indirect goals.

http://strikerless.com/2014/12/07/using-set-pieces-to-break-open-a-match-and-preventing-your-opponent-from-doing-so/

Instead of the near post flick on, I used attack near post. Of course you can try and see which gives you better results.

Advanced forward drops and moves into channels.Poacher specifically sits in the defenders back and looks to latch himself onto a through ball directed at the free space behind the enemy defensive line, essentially trying to break the offside trap in a manner.Also a side note, the poacher is the attacker role that sits the highest upfield than any other attacker.Imo always.

Pretty vague question here, but generally what is the more adventurous and/or aggressive: A CWB/WB(a) in the wing back slot. Or a defensive winger in the midfield slot?

The former.Providing you have an even more attacking minded player in front of him.The roles on the wings are general interchangeable.Support and Attack or Attack and Support.

Pretty vague question here, but generally what is the more adventurous and/or aggressive: A CWB/WB(a) in the wing back slot. Or a defensive winger in the midfield slot?

The position the players have in the tactic screen represents their position in the defensive process. So, for the wing backs you have players that, when the opposition has the ball, they will position themselves in line with the DM. For the defensive wingers they will be defending a bit further.

What makes a more adventurous/aggressive player is the role they have, so undoubtly the CWB will be more attacking than a DW.

For this, click on the first player you want to 'mark'. His name will appear. Now hold CTRL while clicking more players. They will all stay 'marked'. I do this at times with my entire team. Just makes it easier to see who's doing what.

Where should I hold CTRL ? On Formation tabs?

Risky ones are what we call a fancy through ball.If you want ur game to be adventurous with the occasional through ball but still maintaining a short passing game risky passes are what u need.It doesn't mean that direct passes are necessarily risky.So the former is a through ball and the latter is just style of passing.

If you give an Advanced Playmaker in the AML/R position Run Wide With Ball, how does this interact with the already active Cut Inside With Ball? Do they just cancel each other out, leaving it entirely up to the player?

It overrides it.

Stupid question: Risky and direct passes - what's the difference? Which one is more like a through ball?

Risky passes. When a player attempts risky passes, he will try to place them in space ahead of the intended to target as opposed to playing it to his feet. Risky passes, then, try to make the most of players making forward runs into space.

Direct passing increases the likelihood that a player will go long rather than looking for one of his nearby support options.

To get behind-the-defence through balls, it helps to have both or, failing that, a risky passer who operates close to the opposition defence with runners consistently attacking that space.

Just got a message saying one of my players has 'shown a remarkable improvement in his attitude lately. He feels he has matured as a result of recent off-field events and is now more professional than ever'.

His personality type is now professional. What causes this? Is it just random or is there anything underlying. My squad personality is fairly professional so could it just be the environment he is in?

Just got a message saying one of my players has 'shown a remarkable improvement in his attitude lately. He feels he has matured as a result of recent off-field events and is now more professional than ever'.

His personality type is now professional. What causes this? Is it just random or is there anything underlying. My squad personality is fairly professional so could it just be the environment he is in?

It's random and can't be influenced by anything the user does or can do.

Not sure if right thread to post in, so admin go ahead to move if you see it fit to do so.

I play with 4-3-2-1, control and flexible with four instructions in the lowest league of Sweden. Two seasons are now played and i wonder as i advanced last season from division 2 to 1 if i should focus to implement another backup tactic that differs alot from current one? The only thing so far that i have switched is from control to counter attack and flexible to structural. The instructions is left as they are and only changed while playing a match if necessary. Point is does one really have to mix around to much with other setups then given in this post?

I guess one have to play around in the higher division first to find out but taking the opportunity to get the feedback from you guys.