Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question, can't find the answer anywhere - is it possible to increase work-rate? if so, how?

Thanks!

Give him individual training in a role that has work rate as one of the attribute focuses. It probably won't be possible with all positions though.

Quick question (that probably doesn't a quick answer).

I just started a new save with Everton on FM15 (finally bought it over the weekend) and would like the team to be built around supplying Lukaka.

I think he's got great stats to be a Target Man Attack but i'm not sure where to start with this role? I see him as being the only striker but wouldn't that mean he'd be too isolated?

I want him to be the main goal threat and use his physicality to impose himself on the opp defenders.

So, if anyone could give me some general hints on how to get started using a TM-A i would very much appreciate it. I don't need a complete tactical set up or anything, just some do's and don'ts when trying to utilise this role.

Thanks

Well if you use a TM, every player in the side will try and hit long balls to him constant. He might get isolated but he might not, it all depends on the rest of the set up. If you offer him no support then of course he'll be isolated. Although if he's a TM and a lone striker then you really need support to get to him instantly and have people getting beyond him. I personally hate the TM role as the DLF is a similar role but so much better and it cuts out the silly long balls that are always played to him.

Well if you use a TM, every player in the side will try and hit long balls to him constant. He might get isolated but he might not, it all depends on the rest of the set up. If you offer him no support then of course he'll be isolated. Although if he's a TM and a lone striker then you really need support to get to him instantly and have people getting beyond him. I personally hate the TM role as the DLF is a similar role but so much better and it cuts out the silly long balls that are always played to him.

Thanks Cleon

I'm aware of the players intentions of trying to hit the TM at every opportunity...but i'm keen to try and turn that into a positive i.e. Everton has a lot of good ball players so i was thinking that those long balls could be a great way to get the ball back to front very quickly and hit teams on the break.

So, if i'm reading you correctly, even on Attack, you'd still have a player (or two) behind or on the wing trying to break past him. Is it a fair assumption then that a TM-A isn't ever going to be the teams main goal threat (or at least, it would be very difficult)?

DLF is probably a better role but i just don't think Lukaku has the ability to do that role effectively. Doing this from memory here but i think he has 10 in both passing and vision and 12 in Decisions.

Thanks Cleon

I'm aware of the players intentions of trying to hit the TM at every opportunity...but i'm keen to try and turn that into a positive i.e. Everton has a lot of good ball players so i was thinking that those long balls could be a great way to get the ball back to front very quickly and hit teams on the break.

The ball players will be bypassed most of the time though and the team will just do long ball after long ball from front to back. Also if this does happen and it's a style you want, how are you going to get players up in support in time? I don't see how you can provide support quick enough when this happens as you've already said he will be a lone striker.

So, if i'm reading you correctly, even on Attack, you'd still have a player (or two) behind or on the wing trying to break past him.

Regardless of what you use you always needs players in support and going beyond him. If not he becomes isolated or marked out of the game. Also a TM is a very static role so don't expect much movement from that role itself.

DLF is probably a better role but i just don't think Lukaku has the ability to do that role effectively. Doing this from memory here but i think he has 10 in both passing and vision and 12 in Decisions.

I'm confused here with this statement. How is that different from using a targetman role where he still needs to be able to see his available options and still pass the ball to other players? Sure he's strong but once he gets the ball he still has to do the exact same things as any other role. So why is it okay he has low passing and vision for the TM role but it won't work for a DLF? He'd be doing the same thing with the ball at his feet etc.

I'm confused here with this statement. How is that different from using a targetman role where he still needs to be able to see his available options and still pass the ball to other players? Sure he's strong but once he gets the ball he still has to do the exact same things as any other role. So why is it okay he has low passing and vision for the TM role but it won't work for a DLF? He'd be doing the same thing with the ball at his feet etc.

I was thinking that most of his passes would be coming from headers (due to the long ball craic) and made the assumption that passing and vision wouldn't be as important. DLP, in my head anyway, seems to be like Dennis Bergkamp ie dropping deep and taking defenders out of the game with some def touches. I'm trying to set Lukaku up more as a battering ram or blunt instrument. Like a cave man! Lukaku strong! Get ball, put it in net!!!

What kind of formation would you be looking to play?

Would your support players be wingers and an AMC or would they be CMs?

A TM-A can definitely become a team's main goal threat if used effectively but it depends on how you set your team up.

Are you wanting your wingers to get balls into the box and for him to be the main focal point of the attack or are you wanting your defenders to just whack the ball up to him and hope someone gets on the end of a flick on?

I've got a question about the central defenders in a lower league, amateur side. I'm playing FM 14 in this save.

Here's my usual formation:

.......DLF/s AF/a........

W/a CM/d AdvP/s W/s

FB/s CD/d CD/d FB/a

..........GK.........

Mentality is Defensive; Fluidity is Balanced.

I have the GK instructed to "Distribute To Defenders" and "Pass It Shorter," because I'd like to try to build from the back.

At this level, a D© with better than 4 in Passing is rare, and it's even more unusual to see one with higher than 6 or 7 for Composure or Decisions. However, if they're that "good" at these things, they almost always lack Pace. Our opponents' forwards usually do have good Pace, which seems to present a potential problem. I've got one D© whose attributes are decent enough to fill the role fairly well.

I'd like to play a pair of Central Defenders on Defend duty at center half. I would prefer they do something with the ball other than hoof it up the park every time. However, none of my D© seem nearly as well-suited to that role as they are to Limited Defender, which by definition will try to get the ball as far from the goal as quickly as possible every time they have possession.

Would I probably be better off playing with Limited Defenders and removing my GK's personal instructions? Or, will I be OK with my Central Defenders, since my opponents aren't world-class either?

Thanks in advance.

your defenders call for trouble when they have ball on their feet, not only set them to LD but tell keeper to take long kicks, you can mark clear ball to flanks(as you have wingers to run into) to skip them or you can change the role of AdvP/s to DLP/s and distribute the ball to him

What kind of formation would you be looking to play?

Would your support players be wingers and an AMC or would they be CMs?

A TM-A can definitely become a team's main goal threat if used effectively but it depends on how you set your team up.

Are you wanting your wingers to get balls into the box and for him to be the main focal point of the attack or are you wanting your defenders to just whack the ball up to him and hope someone gets on the end of a flick on?

I'm thinking 4141, playing on the counter to the wings though i'm seeing what cleon talked about e.g. just going long all the time. Think i might experiment with a DLF-A as that should hopefully allow him to use his physicality without the other players in the team just hoofing it

hi.

I have problem with my defence

it seems that once my oponent able to get the ball in his feet, inside my penalty box, he will surely score, unless the shoot is wide.

my central defender are all with cd,defend role. ryan schawcross and eden alvarez balanta.

how to solve this problem?

hi.

I have problem with my defence

it seems that once my oponent able to get the ball in his feet, inside my penalty box, he will surely score, unless the shoot is wide.

my central defender are all with cd,defend role. ryan schawcross and eden alvarez balanta.

how to solve this problem?

It is partly subjective interpretation of things, but nobody can possibly help just on the basis of knowing who your two central defenders are. You need to provide way more detail.

Has anyone tried using the TI's "drop deeper" and "close down more" together? I've read a few times that this is a stupid combination. But in theory, it SHOULD work. You know, what if you want to play a pressing game, but not with a super high block? You could lower the overall team mentality, but maybe doing so would hurt your tactical approach and cause you to need more TI's to offset the changes.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone tried using the TI's "drop deeper" and "close down more" together? I've read a few times that this is a stupid combination. But in theory, it SHOULD work. You know, what if you want to play a pressing game, but not with a super high block? You could lower the overall team mentality, but maybe doing so would hurt your tactical approach and cause you to need more TI's to offset the changes.

Any thoughts?

Yes, there's nothing wrong with it. Back in FM14, a lot of people used Hassle with a counter d-line which is far more extreme than anything you can set on FM15.

IRL, you'll see this a lot with teams defending at the halfway line with a 451. For example, this past weekend, Liverpool were defending in a medium block but Milner was rushing out to close down players closer to Benteke. The key in that case is that the five man midfield means you have plenty of cover behind any midfielder stepping out to pressure.

Yes, there's nothing wrong with it. Back in FM14, a lot of people used Hassle with a counter d-line which is far more extreme than anything you can set on FM15.

IRL, you'll see this a lot with teams defending at the halfway line with a 451. For example, this past weekend, Liverpool were defending in a medium block but Milner was rushing out to close down players closer to Benteke. The key in that case is that the five man midfield means you have plenty of cover behind any midfielder stepping out to pressure.

I've always avoided trying this with the fear that it would cause my team to be pulled out of shape / end up all over the place. But to be honest, I'm not sure why I felt that way in the first place.

Always great info THOG, cheers.

It is partly subjective interpretation of things, but nobody can possibly help just on the basis of knowing who your two central defenders are. You need to provide way more detail.

I mention already that my central defender are all with cd,defend role. ryan schawcross and eden alvarez balanta .what more detail do you need,I would be happy to tell, I really need feedback to prevent my team conceding too many goals

I mention already that my central defender are all with cd,defend role. ryan schawcross and eden alvarez balanta .what more detail do you need,I would be happy to tell, I really need feedback to prevent my team conceding too many goals

Defending isn't just about defenders; everything is linked. You could have an aggressive strategy with Closing Down, which sees people pulled out of position and stresses the defence. You might not have a DM player, which means the DCs have to cover that space. You might have a DM, but the MCs in front might have Roles / Duties which see the DM have to step into the MC line, which means the DCs have to step up. You might have attacking wing backs who don't get back into position quickly enough, which makes the DCS have to move across to cover that gap.....

We need to know everything - formation, all Roles and Duties, Team and Player Instructions, Mentality and Team Shape.

Defending isn't just about defenders; everything is linked. You could have an aggressive strategy with Closing Down, which sees people pulled out of position and stresses the defence. You might not have a DM player, which means the DCs have to cover that space. You might have a DM, but the MCs in front might have Roles / Duties which see the DM have to step into the MC line, which means the DCs have to step up. You might have attacking wing backs who don't get back into position quickly enough, which makes the DCS have to move across to cover that gap.....

We need to know everything - formation, all Roles and Duties, Team and Player Instructions, Mentality and Team Shape.

Formation 4-4-2

Role:

GK (Defend)

Pair of FB (support)

Pair of CD (Defend)

Pair of Winger , Left winger support, right winger attack

1 Deep lying playmaker (defend)

1 Box To Box Midfield (support)

1 Defensife forward (defend)

1 Target Man (Attack)

Team instruction

play narrower, clear ball to flanks, float crosses,prevent short GK distribution,more direct passing

Player Instruction

Both full backs drible less,cross from deep,cross more often

Box to box midfield, drible less,cross more often,cross from deep

Defensive forward , Close down much more

Goalkeeper , Distribute quickly

Mentality counter

Team shape, structured

Can you say just how many goals you are conceding, just to give this context? In real life, Stoke City conceded 58 in 10/11, 53 in 11/12, 45 in 12/13, 52 in 13/14 and 45 last year. They are a mid-table team who concede more than one goal per game over the course of a season; 1.33 per game over that whole 5 year period.

I have 2 really stupid questions:

1) Why do most teams which play 4-2-3-1 in real life, play 4-4-1-1 in FM?

2) Why do AI teams (nearly) always have a BWM role in their formation and not even have a ballwinning type of player there?

thanks!

1) Why do most teams which play 4-2-3-1 in real life, play 4-4-1-1 in FM?

Formation in FM mainly corresponds to a team's shape when they are out of possession in the defensive half. In most cases, a 4-2-3-1 system operating in a low or medium block falls back to a 4-4-1-1.

However, even teams that play a 4-2-3-1 in FM don't necessarily play a "proper" 4-2-3-1 since the AI tends to give fairly aggressive roles to one of the MCs when what we typically identify as a 4-2-3-1 should have two more defensive, deep-lying MC roles. As a result, the AI's single striker formations typically play out more as a 4-3-3 in possession.

2) Why do AI teams (nearly) always have a BWM role in their formation and not even have a ballwinning type of player there?

It's a quirk of the role allocation system. Hopefully, this will be improved upon in FM16.

Can you say just how many goals you are conceding, just to give this context? In real life, Stoke City conceded 58 in 10/11, 53 in 11/12, 45 in 12/13, 52 in 13/14 and 45 last year. They are a mid-table team who concede more than one goal per game over the course of a season; 1.33 per game over that whole 5 year period.

I concede 2-3 goal againts average team usually.

I understand in real life maybe they concede 1.33 goal average, but I think its not impossible to improve, as I see on this forum,many player able ,even made second division team won everything later. Stoke city in Pullis era once come through EURO cup. I would love to improve my team,and I see bit hope

I'm a begginner,and looking for way to understand managing , so maybe one day I can be that kind of manager.

how can I improve my defense friend? I bought manuel pasqual as left back, eden alvarez balanta as center back to accompany schawcross. while on right back usually I put huth /wilson.

Do you think I need to buy new center back or right back?

My central midfield pair have over 100 mistakes made when the season is about to wrap up. There haven't been a lot of these leading to goals. Although i have a central defender that have done a lot less mistakes but more of his mistakes have lead to goals. And when i look at his stats i can't undertstand why that is (i understand his position is more exposed regarding leading to goal) but there aren't any obvious flaws in his stats to why he would be making these mistakes.

So my question is, mistakes made is it every misplacement in positioning and every misplaced pass? Otherwise i don't understand how they made so many. And how can i prevent this in future transfer targets? Concentration and decision is obvious, any other stuff?

And while you are reading, what would you chose? Player with awesome mental skills and average technical skills or a player with awesome technical skills with average mental skills?

Do you think I need to buy new center back or right back?

No, the issue will be further up field. You need to see if you have issues down your right side caused by the Attacking Winger leaving space, and you need to see if the Box To Box midfielder is getting back in position quickly enough. Often, your DLP will be outnumbered as you play 4-4-2 with one dedicated "holding" midfielder. A 4-4-2 on Counter runs the risk of having a gap between the DC and MC players, so you need to watch matches played against 4-2-3-1's to see how their AMC operates in tht space, and how your players react to it.

This feels like an embarassingly silly question considering how long I've been posting on this board but here goes:

Do you guys tend to pick your team mentality based on your desired attacking, or defending style? And why?

I've picked mine by the desired attacking style 99% of the time, and it seems to be okay. But I'm wondering if it even makes any difference once you factor in TI's. I mean what's the real difference between Control with TI's to lower tempo, shorter passing, etc. and Counter with TI's push higher, close down more, and more direct passing?

The big difference, to me, is the amount of risks players will take. They'll attempt more risky passes and runs forward, even with the same roles and duties. That's what mentality is.

Passing structures might be difficult to replicate unless you fine-tune with PIs, but I don't worry too much about it.

Is there anything I can do against over-confidence in FMC mode?

When I go to Reports->Form->Feedback my AM keeps telling me "player xy looked over-confident and cocky during warm-up" or

even "the recent fine form the team have shown is unfortunatly spreading a false confidence that they can just turn up and win [...]".

It doesn't bother me if we win, but I feel I lost a couple of points just because my players weren't focused enough.

Has it maybe something to do with my AM? He's 3.5 stars, so not that good for a top team...

thanks!

No, the issue will be further up field. You need to see if you have issues down your right side caused by the Attacking Winger leaving space, and you need to see if the Box To Box midfielder is getting back in position quickly enough. Often, your DLP will be outnumbered as you play 4-4-2 with one dedicated "holding" midfielder. A 4-4-2 on Counter runs the risk of having a gap between the DC and MC players, so you need to watch matches played against 4-2-3-1's to see how their AMC operates in tht space, and how your players react to it.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I will look upon those matches I'm againts 4-2-3-1 ,to see how their AMC and Left winger behave. the only bit complicated is that FM dont allow me to mark 3 people in name. I try to click both AMC and Left winger name, so that I can se where are them whole match. but one of them name always dissappear whenever they are without ball. just 2 name maximum will appear

Anyway, For now, I would want to ask a question friend. I have defensive forward in defend role,and close down much more. so that I expect him to prevent opponent DLP for getting freedom. will this help me to match opponents advantage in midfield number,in defensive role?

Because its bit hard to accomodate Peter Crouch. I tried to put striker partner on AMC, and result he,to flick on ball to front of him while nobody around. and when I dont use box to box midfield, he's bit isolated, just able to pass to another striker, or passing way back to center midfield which is bit far. while with box to box, sometimes I see they three work up together to attack in the middle, but left my DLP alone in defending.

the only bit complicated is that FM dont allow me to mark 3 people in name. I try to click both AMC and Left winger name, so that I can se where are them whole match. but one of them name always dissappear whenever they are without ball. just 2 name maximum will appear

For this, click on the first player you want to 'mark'. His name will appear. Now hold CTRL while clicking more players. They will all stay 'marked'. I do this at times with my entire team. Just makes it easier to see who's doing what.

My central midfield pair have over 100 mistakes made when the season is about to wrap up. There haven't been a lot of these leading to goals. Although i have a central defender that have done a lot less mistakes but more of his mistakes have lead to goals. And when i look at his stats i can't undertstand why that is (i understand his position is more exposed regarding leading to goal) but there aren't any obvious flaws in his stats to why he would be making these mistakes.

So my question is, mistakes made is it every misplacement in positioning and every misplaced pass? Otherwise i don't understand how they made so many. And how can i prevent this in future transfer targets? Concentration and decision is obvious, any other stuff?

And while you are reading, what would you chose? Player with awesome mental skills and average technical skills or a player with awesome technical skills with average mental skills?

What is your formation and team instructions? If you play a 4-2-3-1 the center midfielders need to cover a lot of ground and can make mistakes if they are too far upfield. Poor Decisions, Composure, Consistency (hidden attribute), and Pressure (hidden attribute) can lead to mistakes.

I prefer players with mental skills. It is easier to train for Passing, than Bravery or Composure.

This feels like an embarassingly silly question considering how long I've been posting on this board but here goes:

Do you guys tend to pick your team mentality based on your desired attacking, or defending style? And why?

I've picked mine by the desired attacking style 99% of the time, and it seems to be okay. But I'm wondering if it even makes any difference once you factor in TI's. I mean what's the real difference between Control with TI's to lower tempo, shorter passing, etc. and Counter with TI's push higher, close down more, and more direct passing?

The answer is complicated. Let's say "if" an attacking mentality with much lower tempo TI has the same tempo setting with standart+ much higher tempo TI (that is just an analogy, only the programmer knows the real fact), it doesn't mean both will play in the same way, nope. Tempo is about how fast the ball will be circulated, how fast a player must make a decision. But their tendency to what they will do with or without the ball is basically up to the mentality setting (counter standart control etc). Since mentality determine how much risk a player is willing to take. IMO u better sense the difference by experiencing it by urself. One of many reasons why SI decided to no longer use the slider is because they want us to "feel" the match more. N despite strongly disagree at first I eventually accepted that fact n I think now I'm enjoying this game more thanks to that "unsure" part of tactic.

cd948a15bdb87a43a10fa2a9c4871719.png

As you can see from the picture, my two midfielders (#12 and #16) are closing down on Graham (#26). I felt this is too risky as it leaves gaps and free space for the opposition. How do i counter this problem?

*#12's role is RPM(s) and #16's role is DLP(d).

cd948a15bdb87a43a10fa2a9c4871719.png

As you can see from the picture, my two midfielders (#12 and #16) are closing down on Graham (#26). I felt this is too risky as it leaves gaps and free space for the opposition. How do i counter this problem?

*#12's role is RPM(s) and #16's role is DLP(d).

What shape? You only seem to have 9 outfield players so some context of the match would help.

Plus if you're trying the 3-4-3 I posted about then you haven't understood the importance of the roles and what they did. Now you've used defensive wingbacks the whole dynamics have changed and now your midfield will suffer from this I wrote about recently;

http://sisportscentre.com/the-4-2-3-1-midfield-analysis/

The wingbacks will be far too cautious and position themselves behind the MC's and this is bad because now you've created gaps due to the players being staggered and the MC's will have different responsibilities now. While the article above is about a different shape and roles the underlying issue is still the exact same, so give it a read and you'll know why.

Plus if you're trying the 3-4-3 I posted about then you haven't understood the importance of the roles and what they did. Now you've used defensive wingbacks the whole dynamics have changed and now your midfield will suffer from this I wrote about recently;

http://sisportscentre.com/the-4-2-3-1-midfield-analysis/

The wingbacks will be far too cautious and position themselves behind the MC's and this is bad because now you've created gaps due to the players being staggered and the MC's will have different responsibilities now. While the article above is about a different shape and roles the underlying issue is still the exact same, so give it a read and you'll know why.

Alright, I'll give it a read. Also, I seem to having trouble defending against teams that play AM position. Is there anything i can read?

Alright, I'll give it a read. Also, I seem to having trouble defending against teams that play AM position. Is there anything i can read?

Why did you only have 9 men? Asked you 3 times and still no answer. This is important due to you trying to pass the image off as being something wrong. Context is everything.

Why did you only have 9 men? Asked you 3 times and still no answer. This is important due to you trying to pass the image off as being something wrong. Context is everything.

Oh I didn't see, I had 11. There's another wingback at the other flank, I just didn't screen capture the whole field. I will probably post it once I am done with work.

CB's mark tall

FB's mark posts

AMC Stay forward

AMLc close down corner

AMRc Edge of area

MRC/MLC/DM man mark

I believe your problem lies with your MRC/MLC/DM. With the exception of your DM, your MRC and MLC are likely to be average or below average man markers so they are likely to lose sight of the opposition players they are supposed to mark.

Try something like this.

CBs - mark tall

The next best marking, concentration, jumping and header player - man mark

2 players who can't mark, jump and head - mark posts

1 player who can't mark, jump, head but pacey - forward

3 players who are decent in marking, jumping and heading - zonal mark

1 player who is decent in jumping and heading - close down corner

Ok, you will realise you don't have any player on the edge of area. Imo, there is no point having 1 there. Sometimes the AI do not have anyone lurking out there so the player there will do nothing. He will not enter the pk box to help out with the defending. If there is an opposition player on the edge, I believe having an extra player in the box will make it more difficult for him to shoot it on target.

Hi, Sorry for the stupid newb question. In the opposition instructions section (in the pre kickoff screens) there are two tabs, one with the players names listed and the other with just their generic positions listed, does anyone know which of these takes precident over the other? eg. if in one tab I say to always close down the AMC, and in the other I say to never close him down, which one does the game follow?

First Tab

88wRyUN.jpg

Second Tab

yuub5BT.jpg

Thanks in advance :-)