Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Not sure what happened but my post was deleted :D

Cheers RT was just looking for that thread myself :)

The roles etc you see aren't always correct because technically you are using something that isn't supported properly on any other format than FMC. So some of the things you see can be misleading.

Apolgies using this one, it did have more in the OP relating to tactics and match use of the assistant manager i thought i copied over,

much appreciated anyway.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It pains me to do this, but I need som help on how to defend against the 3-4-3. I play in Hungary with Honved and have been doing pretty well, winning the cup twice and finishing second in the league the last three seasons. This season I even qualified to the Europa League group stage where I finished second in a group with Arsenal, Besiktas and Rapid Bucharest, so I am doing alright.

My problem is in the league, where most of the teams switch to 3-4-3 during the games. This again leads to a ridiculous amount of goals. My average this season was 3,1 goals for and 1,8 against in 30 games. The biggest problem is away from home, where I can take an early 2/3-0 lead and then the opposition goes 3-4-3 and things get crazy. Either I succeed with my counterattacks, scoring another 2 or 3 goals, or the opposition start the scoring and gain the momentum in the match. Either way the opposition create several chances, something that I can't figure out how to stop on a regular basis.

Usually my tactic has been to exploit the wide spaces against the 3-4-3, playing with high wingers, but this again leaves my fullbacks exposed for 2vs1 situations against the wingers and wide attackers of the opposition. With the wingers at normal midfield I cope better defensively, but offensively my striker is all alone and I just get pressured to death. In the center of the field my central defenders and the midfielders struggle to cope with the strikers dropping low and midfielders pushing up, making things a bit chaotic.

Considering trying a 5-4-1 to cope with the trio up front and the central midfield, but not convinced that we will manage to fight them off for 90 mins.

It pains me to do this, but I need som help on how to defend against the 3-4-3. I play in Hungary with Honved and have been doing pretty well, winning the cup twice and finishing second in the league the last three seasons. This season I even qualified to the Europa League group stage where I finished second in a group with Arsenal, Besiktas and Rapid Bucharest, so I am doing alright.

Take a look at post #5702 and #5703.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/32160-Stupid-Questions-Thread-%28Tactic-and-Training-Questions-Only%29/page58

Spains long & narrow pitch set ups seem to be the cause of my undoing time and time again this year. Typically I play with a high line, but it's been decimated all too often on these pitches, as play funnels through the middle and is primarily long-ball from the opposition. I've tried countering it as I see these opposing teams playing by dropping my back line deeper, and going more direct/high tempo but never seem to get the same performance. There just isn't enough space to impose the kind of game I normally would, and my team isn't built to aerially dominate so it's becoming troublesome.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, not really come up against so many teams with pitches just 55m wide as I have in Spain.

Just a little annoyance I have recently noticed that may be worth letting others know.

I have a home and away tactic. The away has full backs marking tighter and my two forwards marking the opposition full backs. Obviously you have to do this after the main tactic screen and after the players warm up.

The following week I used my home tactic and it wasn't playing as it usually does. I checked settings and both my strikers were still on mark specific player. By switching from home to away all other changes between the two tactics had changed like tighter marking for the two full backs was switched off but the mark specific player remained on the strikers possibly because it is classed as an in game change.

So basically in a nutshell swapping between two changed tactics doesn't clear the previous weeks specific marking in my case. Not sure if this is a bug or a small annoyance but I would have thought if you set those instructions on your away tactic it wouldn't carry forward when you changed tactics.

Some may just switch at the start of the game like I did. Press play and be totally unaware that certain instructions remain from the previous week.

Quick question about tactic familiarity - can't remember if I asked this here or not :)

Each preseason my team builds up a 100% familiarity but it then goes to next to nothing throughout the season

The only changes I ever make to the tactic depending on the opposition are ....

HB changes to a DM

DLF will man mark one of the CBs

The CBs might be asked to press less is playing against a paced forward.

Is there a way to make these changes without losing the familiarity?

Would setting up another tactic with the DM instead of the HB solve this?

Rather than me tweaking the single formation I ould simply select the alternative one.

Maybe a better way to put it is quite simply if role changes affect familiarity then do PIs and TIs as well?

Role changes/individual instructions do not make tactic familiarity drop. Signing new players, making positional changes, adding/removing team instructions, changing mentality/philosophy decrease tactical familiarity.

Ok I haven't posted here in a few years and i'm not sure if this is even in the right place to ask (sorry if it's in the wrong place) but after a quick look around i'm not too sure where else to put it. I like to use mind games as a tactic however I cannot for the life of me find where or how to interact or comment on an opposition manager. It is quite frustrating as i used to like doing it both before and after matches against rivals. (I went straight from FM13 to FM15 BTW).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Role changes do not make tactic familiarity drop. Signing new players, making positional changes, adding/removing team instructions, changing mentality/philosophy decrease tactical familiarity.

Cheers Cleon

I never adjust the mentality or philosophy.

It shouldn't be an issue with new players as normally by then end of the Summer Transfer Window I'm at 100% familiarity.

Based on your response the only thing that can be reducing this is the man marking option for my CF as rarely do I come up against a 15+ pace forward that would warrant the change to my CBs .. maybe 5 times a season.

I'll try setting up the man-marking option for my CF as part of the default tactic to see if that makes a difference as adding this each game must be the key factor here

How much pressing will a romaing playmaker actually do? i much prefer his playmaking aspects over a bwm or cm-support, but how much wil i lose in the defensive side over say a BWM-SU or B2B?

Remember that pressing doesn't equate defensive, this is something a lot of people seem to be getting confused about lately. You can have someone run about and close down heavily and it look like they're doing stuff but is it the right kind fo stuff they're doing? If someone is closing down higher up the pitch (like the BWM etc) then chances are he will get caught out of position and not have held his position that well. The shape you use will determine just how badly this will or wont effect you. My point is, focus on the right type of defensive stability you need and not pressing and make the judgement based on what you see.

It will be different for everyone due to the shape they use, players available and the attributes.

Remember that pressing doesn't equate defensive, this is something a lot of people seem to be getting confused about lately. You can have someone run about and close down heavily and it look like they're doing stuff but is it the right kind fo stuff they're doing? If someone is closing down higher up the pitch (like the BWM etc) then chances are he will get caught out of position and not have held his position that well. The shape you use will determine just how badly this will or wont effect you. My point is, focus on the right type of defensive stability you need and not pressing and make the judgement based on what you see.

It will be different for everyone due to the shape they use, players available and the attributes.

Yeah it mainly due to, i'm looking at a 4123 with 2 MC's, the anchor/DMC behind will give me the cover if they press and miss, but with a narrow front 3 just wonder how much license i can give the middle two to roam when we do and dont have the ball.. i that makes sense.

The board (Stade Rennes) wants me to play a possession game. I like this kind of football too, but to implend it in FM15 I have some questions ;

1. How does the board in FM decide if our team plays a possession tactic, or not?

2. What are they key instructions and player roles you need, to play a possession game?

Role changes/individual instructions do not make tactic familiarity drop. Signing new players, making positional changes, adding/removing team instructions, changing mentality/philosophy decrease tactical familiarity.

Hi Cleon

I had a look at this last night and the only change that could affect the familiarity isn't actually one I can avoid making as far as I can see.

As I said the only changes I make are

- Ask my CF to man-mark one of the opposition CBs .... this can only be done once the team has been submitted and I can't see that I can set this up as a PI in the tactic. If this is causing the drop % then that crazy.

- Ask my CBs to "press less" (cant remember the exact wording) ... this is done rarely so can't be causing the drop in %

- Change my default HB to a DM-Defend from time to time ... so a change of role rather than a positional change from what you've said so this should not affect the familiarity

- I sign youth players in each window mainly who then don't play in the first team for a few years.

I'm playing as Barcelona and this drop in % happened whilst the 2 transfer window ban was in effect so don't think this is the cause.

I'm currently in Jan and have gone from 100% at the end of pre-season to about 25% ... that does not sound normal based on your response unless I'm missing something?

Hi Cleon

I had a look at this last night and the only change that could affect the familiarity isn't actually one I can avoid making as far as I can see.

As I said the only changes I make are

- Ask my CF to man-mark one of the opposition CBs .... this can only be done once the team has been submitted and I can't see that I can set this up as a PI in the tactic. If this is causing the drop % then that crazy.

- Ask my CBs to "press less" (cant remember the exact wording) ... this is done rarely so can't be causing the drop in %

- Change my default HB to a DM-Defend from time to time ... so a change of role rather than a positional change from what you've said so this should not affect the familiarity

- I sign youth players in each window mainly who then don't play in the first team for a few years.

I'm playing as Barcelona and this drop in % happened whilst the 2 transfer window ban was in effect so don't think this is the cause.

I'm currently in Jan and have gone from 100% at the end of pre-season to about 25% ... that does not sound normal based on your response unless I'm missing something?

Have you brought new players into the club or added any other formations to change? Honestly once tactical familiarity is 100% it stays like that unless training more than one formation, you add/remove TI's (Pi's don't make it drop) or have done positional changes. Those are the only things that can influence it once its full.

Have you brought new players into the club or added any other formations to change? Honestly once tactical familiarity is 100% it stays like that unless training more than one formation, you add/remove TI's (Pi's don't make it drop) or have done positional changes. Those are the only things that can influence it once its full.

Just young kids - 16-17 years old - maybe 2-3 each window

I never change the TIs

I only have one tactic

Couple of daft questions I have for FM 15 - I didn't want to post in the wrong board or have new thread or anything if it's already answered so apologies if this is the incorrect thread and it's already answered elsewhere. I have had a search but cant seem to get the right search criteria to find what I'm looking for, so again apologies and a link to the existing answered would be great ;-

1. How do you set zonal/man marking for teams in FM15?

2. How do you keep your players' conditions above 90%? I'm really struggling with player conditions and fitness no matter what I do. I've had a play around with fitness training, increased levels of fitness training in pre-season, had training camps, tried not moving training workloads above average, left default training schedules/assistant controlled schedules - all to no avail, my team still seem to have the fitness of a bunch of asthmatic Rick Wallers. It seems silly that professional footballers are getting so tired so quickly and I haven't encountered this on previous editions. I'm clearly doing something wrong but even on default training I seem to be getting players complaining about their training work loads, having poor fitness conditions and picking up injuries constantly - I had 5 in my first game!

Default marking is loose zonal. If you select Mark Tighter as a PI or Tighter Marking as a TI then you apply tight zonal marking - this is probably the closest fit to "man marking" in practical terms. A final layer of "marking" is available once the teams are submitted, whereby you can set Specific Man Markng as a Player Instruction. Doing this gets your player(s) to track their marking target throughout defensive phases. It is generally preferable to get players other than DCs to do this. On the rare occasions I do it, it is to drag AML/R players back to defend very deep (which has it's downsides - it takes the edge of your counter attacking play) or to get a DM to tightly track a mobile AMC.

2. How do you keep your players' conditions above 90%?

I rotate as many players as I can between matches. Do you use the same XI all the time? What level is their condition at ahead of the next fixture?

Couple of daft questions I have for FM 15 - I didn't want to post in the wrong board or have new thread or anything if it's already answered so apologies if this is the incorrect thread and it's already answered elsewhere. I have had a search but cant seem to get the right search criteria to find what I'm looking for, so again apologies and a link to the existing answered would be great ;-

2. How do you keep your players' conditions above 90%? I'm really struggling with player conditions and fitness no matter what I do. I've had a play around with fitness training, increased levels of fitness training in pre-season, had training camps, tried not moving training workloads above average, left default training schedules/assistant controlled schedules - all to no avail, my team still seem to have the fitness of a bunch of asthmatic Rick Wallers. It seems silly that professional footballers are getting so tired so quickly and I haven't encountered this on previous editions. I'm clearly doing something wrong but even on default training I seem to be getting players complaining about their training work loads, having poor fitness conditions and picking up injuries constantly - I had 5 in my first game!

When my guys are c 70% 3 days before a fixture I give them a 2-day rest from training. It helps a lot.

Default marking is loose zonal. If you select Mark Tighter as a PI or Tighter Marking as a TI then you apply tight zonal marking - this is probably the closest fit to "man marking" in practical terms. A final layer of "marking" is available once the teams are submitted, whereby you can set Specific Man Markng as a Player Instruction. Doing this gets your player(s) to track their marking target throughout defensive phases. It is generally preferable to get players other than DCs to do this. On the rare occasions I do it, it is to drag AML/R players back to defend very deep (which has it's downsides - it takes the edge of your counter attacking play) or to get a DM to tightly track a mobile AMC.

I rotate as many players as I can between matches. Do you use the same XI all the time? What level is their condition at ahead of the next fixture?

Cheers, makes a lot of sense thanks.

RE: The fitness/rotation...

I tend to start my careers at teams in L2/L1 so Im often limited to small squad sizes and funds so usually try to get my best XI out as much as possible, but yes I do still rotate players for mid-week fixtures. In previous versions it was always something I was aware of but had managed to rotate teams or at least maintain fitness for the majority of the season above 90% for most players and during games they rarely dropped below 70%.

I admit some my tactics are quite high tempo and physical but they are just variations of my previously used tactics (employed for the past few versions). It just seems the latest version players are like sunday league players who spend most of their time boozing, smoking and eating Parmos when not on the football field as they regularly struggle to get above 90% outside of games and during matches droop down to 40% condition.

RE: The fitness/rotation...

I tend to start my careers at teams in L2/L1 so Im often limited to small squad sizes and funds so usually try to get my best XI out as much as possible, but yes I do still rotate players for mid-week fixtures. In previous versions it was always something I was aware of but had managed to rotate teams or at least maintain fitness for the majority of the season above 90% for most players and during games they rarely dropped below 70%.

I admit some my tactics are quite high tempo and physical but they are just variations of my previously used tactics (employed for the past few versions). It just seems the latest version players are like sunday league players who spend most of their time boozing, smoking and eating Parmos when not on the football field as they regularly struggle to get above 90% outside of games and during matches droop down to 40% condition.

Players tire faster in 15 than in previous version, especially with high tempo styles. Aside from rotating players (which I understand is sometimes tough to do in the lower leagues with small squads), the natural fitness attribute has become important in a way that never really mattered before. It is a great change to the game, but takes some adapting to. The better the natural fitness, the faster they recover between matches. It also makes stamina more important as well, obviously. You now have to really pay attention to those attributes when developing or bringing in players.

I'll be honest, I don't experience what you are epxeriencing with fitness levels, but it isn't uncommon for me to have much of my club in the 60%s at the end of a match, even a couple in the high 50s. I would take a look at your worst culprits and see how they stack up in the above two attributes, and, if as I suspect they are low-ish there, you will have to think about altering your playing style to accommodate it.

If I use the TI "Close Down More" and give a player a PI of "Close Down More", is that the equivalent (for the player concerned) of not using the TI but giving him the PI of "Close Down Much More", assuming all else remains the same?

No, they are compounded now, so that player will close down a bit more than a player who has exactly the same role and duty as he does.

No, they are compounded now, so that player will close down a bit more than a player who has exactly the same role and duty as he does.

Sorry, I'm being thick :p.

So are you saying that a TI of Close Down More plus a player with a PI of Close Down More will give that player more closing down than if I turn off the TI but instead give the same player a PI of Close Down Much More?

Sorry, I'm being thick :p.

So are you saying that a TI of Close Down More plus a player with a PI of Close Down More will give that player more closing down than if I turn off the TI but instead give the same player a PI of Close Down Much More?

Yes. It's not exactly a direct 1+1 relationship, but basically having a PI and TI applied for the same thing now stacks up, whereas before it used to be that a PI would override a TI.

If i scout nations that are not in my league pool or are not "licensed" in the game like japan, will i find players there or can i just send my scouts to nations selected as playable?

Wrong forum, this is for tactic and training questions only.

So you want to be defensive, but further up the pitch and higher tempo? How do you define "defensive"?

yeah exactly like i would setup with a 4-5-1 or a 4-1-4-1 i want to press and higher tempo but not get caught out by using a attacking strategy.. i doubt its possible or maybe im looking at it wrong haha and should just sit back.

yeah exactly like i would setup with a 4-5-1 or a 4-1-4-1 i want to press and higher tempo but not get caught out by using a attacking strategy.. i doubt its possible or maybe im looking at it wrong haha and should just sit back.

Pressing and higher tempo is fine in a defensive strategy, it just depends on what you are wanting. I play defensive and use higher tempo, push higher up at times. Have a read of this;

http://sisportscentre.com/defensive-arts-the-beginning/

I'm currently writing about defensive football atm.

I am currently playing a 4-4-1-1 tactic with Barnsley.....Fluid, Counter, More disciplined, close down, stay on feet, short passing.............it is similar to a tactic i found on here last season, which seemed to work for me, anybody know which one it was by any chance? Or any tips?