Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

I'm about to end my 6th season as Hammarby and I'm the dominant team in Sweden and I've used a range of different tactics over the years.  I've been the best team in Sweden for quite a while so I'm used to teams sitting in against me but I've always struggled to create and score against a flat back 4, 2 defensive midfielders, 2 wide midfielders and either 2 strikers or 1 striker plus 1 attacking midfielder (4-2-2-2 / 4-2-2-1-1)

Just wondering how others would set up against a formation like that as I've tried many ways with only limited success

I'd also like to ask what people think of a midfield set up of Anchor Man, BBM CM(A), BBM set up with attacking wing backs

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Nozzer said:

I'm about to end my 6th season as Hammarby and I'm the dominant team in Sweden and I've used a range of different tactics over the years.  I've been the best team in Sweden for quite a while so I'm used to teams sitting in against me but I've always struggled to create and score against a flat back 4, 2 defensive midfielders, 2 wide midfielders and either 2 strikers or 1 striker plus 1 attacking midfielder (4-2-2-2 / 4-2-2-1-1)

Just wondering how others would set up against a formation like that as I've tried many ways with only limited success

I'd also like to ask what people think of a midfield set up of Anchor Man, BBM CM(A), BBM set up with attacking wing backs

I'm not sure this qualifies as a stupid question and might deserve a separate thread.

Breaking down very defensive sides is not easy indeed, the following thread by Cleon helped me a lot, maybe it can serve you too:

The art of attacking football

When I play against these type of teams I tend to do the following:

- Switch the roles of all my attacking players to "support", except the FB's which I leave at attack (in a 4-2-3-1). This way the attacking players don't go too far forward and find some space to use. The full backs provide width.

- Dribble less. Dribbling through 6 defenders doesn't usually work ...

- Untick "pass into space" as there is very little space to run in to.

- Put the tempo slightly higher (I play a lower tempo normally).

This is what works for my side, I play control/fluid usually. This could be completely different for your team, goal is to position your players in the best space to play in. Other ways of getting more space against these teams is to drop your defensive line or to change the team shape to more structured. Haven't personally tried these though. 

So the inevitable is happening. We've gone from absolute domination to struggling to hold a 2 goal lead against Leicester and then Southampton. I have 5 league games to go this season, and I'm joint on points with the formidable Arsenal. 

0DIXjGA.png

0ebRFRl.png

BCzuoix.png

My remaining games have been kind to me. Watford a home, and then in a cruel ironic twist Stoke away and then, Arsenal away, Man City at home and finally, Liverpool at home. which is the reverse of the 4 games we screwed up in the middle of the season when I was threatened with the sack. 

My question is, we are so clearly better than any other team in the league. We've scored the most, conceded the least, dominate possession and shots in almost every game. However, this always happens and usually I correct it. However, I don't have time to try new things. I only have 5 games to secure the title. What can I do as a quick fix, which programatically will work. The game must be programmed to throw up this kind of scenario to 'make things interesting' as it happens to everyone. Usually I'd watch for signs of things changing, but the last two games show me nothing except that we've conceded every goal with 30 minutes to go.

How can I prevent this? We always score early, and we've always held our nerve to see out the games. I usually make a couple of small adjustments in the final 20 minutes when we're ahead just to give us more cover, but conviniently it has stopped working.

Ideas, please.

There are different ways to close out a game. Eg, maybe you like to put a DM in on or fight fire with fire by being more attacking. Depends on what you prefer. You are still on a roll so there is nothing to much to worry about.

Well gents I am down to a final game against Man City for the title.  Problem is it's away and they have been banging them in recently!!  I have got to win which is a shame because I reckon I could grab a goalless draw there.  So before I play I was wondering what others would do?  They generally play a 433/451 and I tend to go 4141.  I have a 4411 but I think I need a DM away from home.  Not sure whether to keep it tight and hope for a set piece and then have a go late on, or try and have a go from kick off and try to catch them off guard.  My lot seem better getting a goal up and holding on,.  My struggles tend to come from going behind and then trying to force a goal.  So fellow managers how would you go about this?

Untitled.jpg

15 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Well gents I am down to a final game against Man City for the title.  Problem is it's away and they have been banging them in recently!!  I have got to win which is a shame because I reckon I could grab a goalless draw there.  So before I play I was wondering what others would do?  They generally play a 433/451 and I tend to go 4141.  I have a 4411 but I think I need a DM away from home.  Not sure whether to keep it tight and hope for a set piece and then have a go late on, or try and have a go from kick off and try to catch them off guard.  My lot seem better getting a goal up and holding on,.  My struggles tend to come from going behind and then trying to force a goal.  So fellow managers how would you go about this?

Untitled.jpg

Personally mate, you can't expect a real answer for that. There's no detail on how city play, how you play, what your weak/vulnerable areas are and vice versa with Man City. 

Who's their key player? Who's the top goal scorer? I'd personally place one of my best defensive midfielders on to man mark their main attacking threat.

But on the other note, that's one hell of a table! 

7 hours ago, SirManager said:

Personally mate, you can't expect a real answer for that. There's no detail on how city play, how you play, what your weak/vulnerable areas are and vice versa with Man City. 

Who's their key player? Who's the top goal scorer? I'd personally place one of my best defensive midfielders on to man mark their main attacking threat.

But on the other note, that's one hell of a table! 

Thanks,...  I played the game anyway.  Drew 1-1 so they beat me by a point.  Did ok as 9 shots on goal with 5 on target to their 18 and 3, so kept it fairly tight but got countered on the counter after 47 minutes when we had a perfect break that broke down and they just countered better than we did.  Then they just played keep ball for half an hour which was frustrating because we just couldn't get the ball off them.  Switched to a 442 with 10 minutes to go and scored in the 92 minute but too little too late.  Pity but there you go "that's football!!"

I have a stupid question about the editor.  Please keep in mind that I'm playing 15-16 (12th season at the helm of Notts County!)

I play a 4-2-3-1 most of the time, and the way my 2 CMs play has been evolving.  Now, 1 is a DLP (D), but sometimes I go support if the match viewing suggests it.  The other is now playing as a CM, (S), but hold position.  I'm thinking that central mid would be better if I got a player with a very high work rate and very high positioning.  The platonic ideal of what I'm seeking (I've finished 4th, 3rd, and 3rd the last 3 seasons, to give you an idea of the quality of my squad...very, very good but not great) would have a bunch of 12s, 13s, and 14s in the attribute ratings, but if you added up stamina, workrate, and positioning, you'd get 50+.  I'd experiment with the PI "Close down more."*  The idea is to have a player sit in the middle of the park and work for 90 minutes at getting on the player on the other team trying to provide a quick linkup from back to front.  I want to stop counterattacks in the midfield.

Can I use the editor to take one of my so-so central mids and upgrade him and just experiment with this before I go into the transfer market?  Is it considered cheating provided I'm not keeping those results (I just want to see if it works)?  Finally, I see an editor I can get for 99 cents.  Is that the right one?

*I say "experiment" because I changed that role from CM (D) to CM (S) to take out the close down more hard code.  My opinion is that when that player closes down more, he too often tries to break up a play with a tackle rather than blocking the passing lane.  What I'm trying to figure out is if the reason it's a problem is the "close down more" coding, or the specific skill set of my options.

Edited by superdave

20 minutes ago, superdave said:

I have a stupid question about the editor.  Please keep in mind that I'm playing 15-16 (12th season at the helm of Notts County!)

I play a 4-2-3-1 most of the time, and the way my 2 CMs play has been evolving.  Now, 1 is a DLP (D), but sometimes I go support if the match viewing suggests it.  The other is now playing as a CM, (S), but hold position.  I'm thinking that central mid would be better if I got a player with a very high work rate and very high positioning.  The platonic ideal of what I'm seeking (I've finished 4th, 3rd, and 3rd the last 3 seasons, to give you an idea of the quality of my squad...very, very good but not great) would have a bunch of 12s, 13s, and 14s in the attribute ratings, but if you added up stamina, workrate, and positioning, you'd get 50+.  I'd experiment with the PI "Close down more."*  The idea is to have a player sit in the middle of the park and work for 90 minutes at getting on the player on the other team trying to provide a quick linkup from back to front.  I want to stop counterattacks in the midfield.

Can I use the editor to take one of my so-so central mids and upgrade him and just experiment with this before I go into the transfer market?  Is it considered cheating provided I'm not keeping those results (I just want to see if it works)?  Finally, I see an editor I can get for 99 cents.  Is that the right one?

*I say "experiment" because I changed that role from CM (D) to CM (S) to take out the close down more hard code.  My opinion is that when that player closes down more, he too often tries to break up a play with a tackle rather than blocking the passing lane.  What I'm trying to figure out is if the reason it's a problem is the "close down more" coding, or the specific skill set of my options.

Cheating?  Absolutely not.  Experiment away, it's the best way to learn.  Crack on :thup:.  By the way, "Hold Position" is an in possession shout.  Oh and one other thought while you are experimenting, don't overlook the deep 4231 formation (ie., DMC instead of MC and MC/L/R instead of AMC/L/R).  I'm not saying to use it, just keep it in mind if you are struggling.

In terms of in game editors, bear in mind that there is only one official editor that is supported by SI.  Any others are unofficial 3rd party add ons which can't be discussed on this forum.

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

By the way, "Hold Position" is an in possession shout.

In terms of in game editors, bear in mind that there is only one official editor that is supported by SI.  Any others are unofficial 3rd party add ons which can't be discussed on this forum.

1.  Yeah, I know.  The idea is for him to kind of sit back a little and be there to do something when we lose the ball.  His job is to get the ball to the rest of the Front Five.

2.  I wouldn't say I'm struggling.  But I just had a match against Liverpool running a 4-4-2, and every freakin' time we lost the ball it looked like they were going to counter and score.  My keeper played out of his mind and we drew 2-2 despite CCC and half chances being well in Liverpool's favor.

3.  I just wanted to make sure it's the same editor...it shows up as an add on within the program when I'm running it.

Speaking of experiments, and kind of on topic for this thread...a few seasons back I created a 4-1-3-2 tactic for reasons that aren't interesting.  One of my players was extremely productive as an F9 paired with a CF.  So at the beginning of one season, I wanted to see what he might be able to do if that's all I ran.  It's a poor tactic defensively; I only use it if I'm chasing a game late, or I've got a match against an overmatched team in the FA Cup, or someone like a Belgian or Greek team in the group stage of the Champions League.  I "went on vacation" and skipped all of my non league matches, after setting the lineup.  I played the matches with key only, which made my results worse.  After 10 matches, the player in question had something like 8 goals and 6 assists.  Now, we were scoring (and conceding) freely, but that was outstanding production.

It's just odd how a player in a specific role can be so much more productive than he is in another.  Keep that in mind, everyone, as you play around with tactics and players.  This particular player excelled because he passed the ball well when he had a strike partner, and his movement off the ball was unstoppable when playing as an F9 and having another forward to play off of.

Edited by superdave

well, I have a youngster, a central midfielder.. he's got a great potential. but since he's not ready to play in Liga BBVA yet, I loan him out at Liga adelante clubs

he's playing well, the team likes to use 4-3-1-2 formation in which he play at cm frequenly. this is so good of him.

unfortunately, I didnt monitor him closely. And by april, I notice that his position were now mc, mr and amr . After check his club, I notice that his club were sack 3 coach during that season, and current manager likes to play 4-4-1-1 with 2 dm, 2 side midfielder pairing, and 1 attacking midfielder. he's now playing often as mr.

My team would play 4-3-3 formation that I wont need any mr. and he's right footed. I wont put him on AMR for sure. so mr and amr position familiarity is uselss for him. as I aware, that two position would took big chunk (40 points) from his potential ability,which I would rather him to spend anywhere else rather than becoming right wide midfielder

is there any way to defamiliarizaze him from mr and amr position? I would like his potential ability spend at other places.

3 hours ago, Hanan96 said:

is there any way to defamiliarizaze him from mr and amr position

No there isn't.  Keep a close an eye on him and if you notice his MR / AMR position familiarity increasing either talk to his club or recall him (if you can).

However, I'm not sure where you have got 40 points from.  If that was the case, lower league players that can play in more than one position would never develop, and decent players wouldn't have such good attributes.  Don't worry so much about CA and PA :).

46 minutes ago, herne79 said:

No there isn't.  Keep a close an eye on him and if you notice his MR / AMR position familiarity increasing either talk to his club or recall him (if you can).

However, I'm not sure where you have got 40 points from.  If that was the case, lower league players that can play in more than one position would never develop, and decent players wouldn't have such good attributes.  Don't worry so much about CA and PA :).

thanks for your reply.

unfortunately, this were near end of season. hsi team on liga adelante just have 4 match remaining, Even if I recall him now,I wont made much difference as the color on mr/amr is bright grey.

about 40 points, I know from fmrte. I regulary using this for scouting,since I always play classic mode. Each position familiarity would range from 1-20.

Previously I plan to train his 2nd position as AML to become inside forward,replacing aging ronaldo, or becoming dm , unfortunately,It does seems I can only use him as mc by now

I wish my another youngster wont share same fate lol

Edited by Hanan96

What makes a good tutor?

I know they need a good personality like Professional, Resolute etc and good determination helps, but what are the other factors? Because I've been having very little success with tutoring (minor personality changes after multiple tutoring sessions at best).

55 minutes ago, Repsalty said:

What makes a good tutor?

I know they need a good personality like Professional, Resolute etc and good determination helps, but what are the other factors? Because I've been having very little success with tutoring (minor personality changes after multiple tutoring sessions at best).

So long as the player matches the criteria to become a Tutor (age, rep, club status and so on) that's pretty much all there is to it.  Tutoring always has the potential to fail, or not be overly effective, so you can be unlucky.

That being said, the player to be tutored may influence things as well.  Players with particularly poor personalities can take a fair bit of tutoring to get right, and even then it might not work.  When Ravel Morrison was at West Ham it would be a minor miracle if I could even get someone to start tutoring him let alone actually complete a tutoring session.

21 minutes ago, herne79 said:

So long as the player matches the criteria to become a Tutor (age, rep, club status and so on) that's pretty much all there is to it.  Tutoring always has the potential to fail, or not be overly effective, so you can be unlucky.

That being said, the player to be tutored may influence things as well.  Players with particularly poor personalities can take a fair bit of tutoring to get right, and even then it might not work.  When Ravel Morrison was at West Ham it would be a minor miracle if I could even get someone to start tutoring him let alone actually complete a tutoring session.

So the tutor being a very famous player (let's say Ronaldo or Messi) does not affect it?

Just a couple of quick ones: 

• Is there any particular way to make you more compact horizontally? Maybe instructing my full-backs to tuck in more? Close down less? 
  • Also, when coming up against stronger opposition we seem to struggle in an attacking sense. Would it be better to go structured; leave more room in between players with the ball and try to play quickly on the break? Right now I'm playing standard, fluid with no particular changes in tempo, closing down more. I was thinking potentially maybe going counter structured, with more direct passing and pass into space. 

4 minutes ago, DerKopite said:

Just a couple of quick ones: 

• Is there any particular way to make you more compact horizontally? Maybe instructing my full-backs to tuck in more? Close down less? 
  • Also, when coming up against stronger opposition we seem to struggle in an attacking sense. Would it be better to go structured; leave more room in between players with the ball and try to play quickly on the break? Right now I'm playing standard, fluid with no particular changes in tempo, closing down more. I was thinking potentially maybe going counter structured, with more direct passing and pass into space. 

1) If you mean when you are defending, then no - unless you give your fullbacks some specific man marking instructions.  If you mean when you have possession then the Width TI setting and/or Mentality will help there.

2) Impossible to answer without knowing how you play.

6 minutes ago, herne79 said:

1) If you mean when you are defending, then no - unless you give your fullbacks some specific man marking instructions.  If you mean when you have possession then the Width TI setting and/or Mentality will help there.

2) Impossible to answer without knowing how you play.

My normal set-up is: Control, fluid. Slightly higher line, close down more, play out of defence, mixed passing, lower crosses. 4-3-3: SK , LB - FB , CD [D] x2, RB - FB [A]; DM [D], AP [A], CM ; LW - W [A], RW - IF , DF

Although, with me being Deportivo, that probably won't work vs. the Barcelona's in the league so I need a more direct alternative. 

1 hour ago, Hanan96 said:

almost any youth player would got poor stamina. is it good to focussed their training in stamina attributes,or just give them anther focus, like role,and let the stamina increased naturally?

There is a high chance of causing injuries if you push a youth to do much fitness training. you have to be patient and allow his stamina to increase naturally.

I need some help getting the strikerrole in my tactic right, I've been playing a DLF on attack for half a season but he has 4 goals and 2 assists in 17 matches with a 6.63 avg rating.  I'm not sure if it's just a lack of player quality or a problem with his role.  How would you guys set up a striker in this system and can you see any other tactical issues?

Standard - Fluid

???

Wsu                                        IFa

CMat    DLPd    BWMs

FBsu       CDde         CDde    FBat

2 hours ago, crafty bison said:

Could someone please provide a link to a step-by-step guide to moving a downloaded tactic onto an iPad and using it for FMT? Haven't done this for years, possibly not ever with an iPad, and I'm lost!

This is best asked in the general discussion area.

41 minutes ago, Jessan said:

I need some help getting the strikerrole in my tactic right, I've been playing a DLF on attack for half a season but he has 4 goals and 2 assists in 17 matches with a 6.63 avg rating.  I'm not sure if it's just a lack of player quality or a problem with his role.  How would you guys set up a striker in this system and can you see any other tactical issues?

Standard - Fluid

???

Wsu                                        IFa

CMat    DLPd    BWMs

FBsu       CDde         CDde    FBat

It seems balanced on the face of it, but of course there's a lot more involved than a formation and roles/duties. Regarding the striker role, what are the problems you are noticing with his play? I agree that isn't a great return that you've had, but it's hard to know what the problem exactly is, as it's related to his abilities, the opponents he's up against, and how the players around him are performing.  The best thing to do is watch back a couple games where he was quiet- click his dot/player to highlight his and see what he's up to, and pay attention to the players around him as well. It will at the very least help identify what he is or isn't doing, or having done to him that is reducing his effectiveness. Check his stat lines too in the poor games.

Work permit rules: Minimum of 4 points required based on the following criteria.

3 points if player salary is in top 25% of the top 30 earns at the club

Does this mean that if hes the best payed in my club I get a chance of getting a wp?

32 minutes ago, QSF25 said:

Work permit rules: Minimum of 4 points required based on the following criteria.

3 points if player salary is in top 25% of the top 30 earns at the club

Does this mean that if hes the best payed in my club I get a chance of getting a wp?

This is a question for the general discussion forum, please.

I remember it was discussed in the forums here, but still got confused:

Does hving a higher D Line increases closing down as well?

Or is it the other way round: Increasing the closing down pushes the D line higher?

I remember one of them is not true and that it is a glitch in the TI screen.

I've been puzzling over this question.

If I understand correctly, the formation I choose for my tactic determines my team's defensive shape.  So, if I pick 4-4-2, my midfielders and defenders will drop back into two blocks of four when the other team has the ball.

What my team does offensively is, then, driven by roles and duties, and by player and team instructions that relate to attacking play...right?  That's what I understand to be the case.

That leads to my primary question.  There are several roles that can be played by players who line up in different strata on my tactics screen.  A Wing Back can play in the back line, or in the next level higher.  I can have a Deep Lying Playmaker in the middle of my 4-4-2, or in the DM spot in a 4-1-2-3, etc.

How much does the player's spot in my tactic affect his offensive play?  In other words, will a Wing Back on Attack duty who's placed here, in a flat back four:

wingback%20in%20flat%20four_zpsxuumx6lw.

behave in possession like a Wing Back on Attack Duty who is placed here?

wingback%20in%20forward%20position_zpswp

The description of the role on the tactics screen looks the same in both cases.

And, if they behave similarly in possession, is the only difference between them going to be the position they establish when we're defending? 

I hope that makes sense.  Thanks in advance.

@Greyfriars Bobby  They are very similar in attacking behavior- I think you would have a hard time spotting the difference, really, once play settles in the final third. However, the advantage of the wb strata vs the bf strata is they begin their transitions higher on the pitch and so provide more of a winger option or outlet than would a fullback. Once you transition into the attack and get set up, you aren't going to notice much difference if any.

22 minutes ago, Dr. Hook said:

@Greyfriars Bobby  They are very similar in attacking behavior- I think you would have a hard time spotting the difference, really, once play settles in the final third. However, the advantage of the wb strata vs the bf strata is they begin their transitions higher on the pitch and so provide more of a winger option or outlet than would a fullback. Once you transition into the attack and get set up, you aren't going to notice much difference if any.

But they will take slightly different positions when defending? 

4 minutes ago, Greyfriars Bobby said:

But they will take slightly different positions when defending? 

They will if the play doesn't go too deep into your zone or down their flank. They will track their man as deep as a fullback does if needed and drop back as necessary also, but if not, they'll stay higher and be ready for an outlet pass. The wingback in the fullback strata will by default drop deeper into defense whether it is strictly necessary or not. So you can see the pros and cons, the FB strata player is less likely to get caught out with a quick switch of the flanks or a late overlap, but you sacrifice their ability to get up for a quick transition forward.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Hook said:

They will if the play doesn't go too deep into your zone or down their flank. They will track their man as deep as a fullback does if needed and drop back as necessary also, but if not, they'll stay higher and be ready for an outlet pass. The wingback in the fullback strata will by default drop deeper into defense whether it is strictly necessary or not. So you can see the pros and cons, the FB strata player is less likely to get caught out with a quick switch of the flanks or a late overlap, but you sacrifice their ability to get up for a quick transition forward.

Thank you, Dr. Hook.  That answer is just what I needed.  I can extend it logically to the other situations where there's a role that can be played at different strata, too.

11 minutes ago, Greyfriars Bobby said:

Thank you, Dr. Hook.  That answer is just what I needed.  I can extend it logically to the other situations where there's a role that can be played at different strata, too.

You're welcome, and yeah you can apply it elsewhere, so players in the wide AM slots will behave very similarly, and do a much better job of tracking back and defending than in past versions.

On 09/01/2017 at 14:41, Dr. Hook said:

Welcome- the BWM will be the role that does this for you, but the CM(S) offers a bit more reliability but requires the right player to cover well. Let me know how it works for you :)

So far so good! Ten games and only conceded six goals. A much better return than before when we could never keep a clean sheet. Thanks again!

3 hours ago, beardymouse said:

So far so good! Ten games and only conceded six goals. A much better return than before when we could never keep a clean sheet. Thanks again!

Awesome, glad it's helping :thup:

I'm still triying to understand the layers of the instructions.

Let's say, if I have a medium d-line when playing with a Standard mentality.

And then I add the TI "Slightly Higher" now I will have a medium-high d-line? Or a High defensive line?

Adding team instructions increases them "one notch"? 

1 hour ago, bosque said:

I'm still triying to understand the layers of the instructions.

Let's say, if I have a medium d-line when playing with a Standard mentality.

And then I add the TI "Slightly Higher" now I will have a medium-high d-line? Or a High defensive line?

Adding team instructions increases them "one notch"? 

Yes, pretty much- your mentality sets your initial d-line, then the team instructions modify from there.

The good news is my team is in the midst of a long unbeaten streak.  The bad news is half the team is complacent or overconfident, so I'm getting too many draws, and some of them only happen when we come from behind after an aggressive halftime talk.  We're playing with fire, and this is the first time I've actually had a shot at winning the league.  20 matches in, 2nd on GD.  (You'd think this would make my team excited rather than complacent, but we all now th mental aspects of the game engine are awful.)

IRL this is easy to handle.  You bench the players that play like that and tell them why you benched them.  But I have to do it with the pregame talk.

any suggestions?

What is the closest to a generic role in peoples opinion for a lone striker?  It's the one area I can't make things tick and haven't done in the last couple of versions.  The problem I seem to face is that every role has hard coded instructions added to it.  For instance I love the F9 role but it has "dribble more" hard coded so pretty pointless playing someone who can't dribble there.  A DLF has "hold up ball" and "play risky passes" so again unless he is a good passer you could be asking for trouble and "hold up ball" may not be ideal for every strategy.  Advanced Forward "dribble more", Complete Forward "dribble more, hold up ball, more risky passes", TQ "dribble more, more risky passes", TM "hold up ball", and Poacher is not ideal for a lone striker role and a Defensive Forward has "fewer risky passes" so too far the other way.  Really frustrating that there isn't a generic role like a CM or a WM with no hard coded instructions.

Edited by Sussex Hammer

1 hour ago, Sussex Hammer said:

What is the closest to a generic role in peoples opinion for a lone striker?  It's the one area I can't make things tick and haven't done in the last couple of versions.  The problem I seem to face is that every role has hard coded instructions added to it.  For instance I love the F9 role but it has "dribble more" hard coded so pretty pointless playing someone who can't dribble there.  A DLF has "hold up ball" and "play risky passes" so again unless he is a good passer you could be asking for trouble and "hold up ball" may not be ideal for every strategy.  Advanced Forward "dribble more", Complete Forward "dribble more, hold up ball, more risky passes", TQ "dribble more, more risky passes", TM "hold up ball", and Poacher is not ideal for a lone striker role and a Defensive Forward has "fewer risky passes" so too far the other way.  Really frustrating that there isn't a generic role like a CM or a WM with no hard coded instructions.

Yes, this is one great peeve of mine as well- they all have hardcoded instructions that limit who you can use effectively in the roles. I use the DF roles as the "generic" role in my setups, they have the least "wrong" with them- I'd rather live with the simple passing than a hardcoded dribble instruction, for example. I use a high block anyway, so the closing down part doesn't bother me. The down side, as there always is, is no attack duty.  We absolutely need a ST(C) role that is akin to the CM role that we can customize more readily.

20 minutes ago, Dr. Hook said:

Yes, this is one great peeve of mine as well- they all have hardcoded instructions that limit who you can use effectively in the roles. I use the DF roles as the "generic" role in my setups, they have the least "wrong" with them- I'd rather live with the simple passing than a hardcoded dribble instruction, for example. I use a high block anyway, so the closing down part doesn't bother me. The down side, as there always is, is no attack duty.  We absolutely need a ST(C) role that is akin to the CM role that we can customize more readily.

Agreed.  Too often I see strikers controlling the ball then just running blindly into an opposition DM or CB behind him.  I used a 4141 in FM16 and used a DF S that was great and getting 15/20 goals a season.  Unfortunately I can't get a striker firing in 17 (hence my interest in your TM thread).  My strikers have decent "striker" attributes but not in dribbling.  In fact if I scout a search with availability for my Club on strikers with 15 dribbling and 15 finishing only 6 appear and some of those have reduced stats in the other important areas.   Just a basic "centre forward" with no hard coded PI's would be ideal or at the very least as you see a DF with an attack duty or a "get further forward option." 

Edited by Sussex Hammer

I thought Structured Team Shape asks your players to play the exact role they are but then I read this part on the FAQ and got confused.

Flexible shape retains the mentality splits exactly as dictated by your roles and duties.

What is the difference then between Flexible and Structured?

15 minutes ago, bosque said:

I thought Structured Team Shape asks your players to play the exact role they are but then I read this part on the FAQ and got confused.

What is the difference then between Flexible and Structured?

Structured increases the mentality splits- defenders are expected to be more defensive, attackers more attacking, so mentality for defensive players is decreased and mentality for attacking players is increased. They will still play the exact roles, but the player mentalities are adjusted to be in line with team mentality.

3 hours ago, eriktous said:

Why not?

(Honest question; trying to learn more.)

He tends to get isolated.  It's like playing with 10 men.

(But that's really only if you don't set up the rest of the team to take that role into account.  For example, do you have an AMC?  What is his role?  Are you launching balls up to the poacher, or are you working the ball to the final third?)

i rather like the poacher role.  It ain't my favorite or anything, but I don't hate it.

7 hours ago, eriktous said:

Why not?

(Honest question; trying to learn more.)

As per what Super Dave says.  I'm just going by what others have said to be honest.  In my case I play a 4141 using the DM and CM strata so any attacking lone striker can get isolated, although I have read somewhere this year that you can get a striker with an attacking duty working just fine without players in the AM strata.  I guess you can get anything to work it's just how you set it up.

Quick question on tutoring. If I have a youngster with a professional personality and wanted to raise his ambition also for making things easier to reach his potential. If I then tutored him with a senior player with an ambitious personality would that then reduce the youngsters professional rating to the level of the senior player?