Calcio II: Catenaccio Reloaded

Deisler26

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, October 2011 Review

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 3 Giacomonese (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

A total abomination of a game. A defensive breakdown, ANOTHER hospital ball resulting in a goal and an offside goal made up this match. It was terrible.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 2 Tritium (Coppa Italia Lega Pro 1st Round)

A valiant struggle, but we were always second best against a high flying Serie C1 side.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 0 Rimini (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Our third match in 7 days and, with a squad that's only 23 players big from youth to first team, it showed in this game as we fought a good rearguard action to keep it 0-0

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 Alessandria (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

A credible defeat against the league leaders. They were relegated last year and the gulf in class showed.

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 3 Montichiari (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Luca Riberto put us in the lead on 35 mins with a crisp shot, however, it all fell apart in the second half as, again, two defensive errors contributed to the three goals conceded.

Santarcangelo Calcio 3 - 1 Virtus Entella (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

We tore out of the traps on this one. Filippo Baldinini stabbed home from a corner on 17 mins. Ivan Graziani netted a simple through-ball on 25 mins and we were going full steam ahead! However, they pulled one back on 35 mins and it took til the 80th minute to make safe as Michele Mingiani headed home from another corner

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 3 Bellaria (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Awful. Next.

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, November 2011 Review

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 3 - 0 Treviso (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

A romp home against an ex-Serie A side tipped for promotion. We went in front, thanks to Angelo Gregorio's header on 11 minutes and kept it that way till half-time. However, Davide Addona made up for conceding a penalty earlier on in the season by netting one on 51 mins after Graziani had been fouled. Finally, Gregorio headed home his second on 61 mins from a great corner.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 Lecco (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Ugh, this ultra-defensive formation does suck sometimes. We concede a fluke goal, then can't break them down.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 0 Valenzana (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

This match, combined with the other, were against teams below me and I really need to win these in order to be able to stay up in this division.

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 0 Casale (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

An unexpected win against mid-table Casale! Ivan Graziani set us on our way with a stabbed effort on 74 mins and his replacement, Luca Riberto, made the game safe on 86 mins with a well-judged header

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 2 Savona (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

The good times didn't last so well as we lost our next game. Something needs to be done.

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, December 2011 Review

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 AS Renate (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Sigh. We're just not hitting the right notes at the minute and the defence is a minefield. Another defensive error gave this game away

Santarcangelo Calcio 4 - 1 Borgo a Buggiano (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

BOOM! We broke out in this game. Paolo Beatrizzotti netted a long range screamer on 15 mins. Then, on the stroke on HT, a BaB player was dismissed for his second yellow in 10 mins. Just after HT, Buggiano equalised with an easy tap-in and we were rocking. But Alessandro Fabbri forced in from a corner on 65 mins, setting the stage for Ivan Graziani who netted a double on 71 and 94 mins to see us run out 4-1 winners

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Sambonifacese (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Wow. For the first time this season, we ran up back-to-back league victories! Ivan Graziani (who else?) netting after being sent free by Beatrizzotti on 20 mins.

-------------------------------------

This meant we got to the winter break in 15th place! Fully out of the relegation by one place and one point! We've not played badly this first half of the season I think this formation will need a massive tweak in the offseason and properly looked at from all angles, but I'm pretty sure, what we have is enough to save us.

"La Grande Inter" (The Great Inter)

La Grande Inter (Great Inter) is the name given to the Internazionale team led by Helenio Herrera that won back-to-back European Cup wins in 1964 and 1965, victories but were spotted in the light of a series of revelations published in recent years. The team have dominated the Italian Serie A during the 1960s when they won 3 scudetti. Finally, they are also known as the team that brought Catenaccio, a tactical system in football, to a new level.

In 1960, Helenio Herrera joined Internazionale from FC Barcelona after falling out with the Catalonian club. From FC Barcelona, he brought his midfield general Luis Suárez who would win the European Footballer of the Year in the same year for his role in FC Barcelona's La Liga/Fairs Cup double. He would transform Internazionale into one of the greatest teams in Europe. He modified a 5-3-2 tactic known as the Verrou (door bolt) to include larger flexibility for counter attacks. The Catenaccio system was invented by an Austrian coach named Karl Rappan. Rappan's original system was implemented with 4 fixed defenders, playing a strict man-to-man marking system, plus a playmaker in the middle of the field who plays the ball together with two midfield wings. Herrera would modify it by adding a fifth defenders, the sweeper or libero behind the two centre backs. The sweeper or libero who acted as the free man would deal with any attackers who went through the two centre backs. Internazionale would finish 3rd in Serie A his first season, 2nd the next year and first in his 3rd season. And then followed a back-to-back European Cup victory in 1964 and 1965. Herrera earned the title "ll Mago" which meant the magician. The core of Herrera's team was the fullbacks Tarcisio Burgnich and Giacinto Facchetti, Armando Picchi the sweeper, Luis Suárez the playmaker, Jair the winger, Mario Corso the left midfielder and Sandro Mazzola who played the inside-right.

Story8.jpg

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, January 2012 Review

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 1 Mantova (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Luca Riberto thundered us ahead with an acrobatic snapshot after 2 mins and Ivan Graziani settled the match with a nice finish on 72 mins. Mantova got one back late on, but we rode it out

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 1 San Marino (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

We didn't disgrace ourselves against the league leaders, taking the lead on 27 mins with a penalty by the new left-back César. However, San Marino equalised after a mixup in the defence and, despite heavy San Marino pressure and a red card for Silvio Scarpa, we ground out the 1-1 draw. Luca Riberto sustained a torn ligament in this match which would see him out for the rest of the season

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 1 Poggibonsi (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

A frustrating draw, as we took the lead on 14 minutes through Ivan Graziani's eighth league goal of the season. However, ten minutes later, a mad dash from goal by Bartolini saw him stranded as the shot was blocked and rebounded to a Poggibonsi player with a wide open goal. Even though Poggibonsi had a man dismissed for a last-man tackle, we couldn't find the breakthrough

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 0 Cuneo (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

We hung on for dear life here as the league leaders battered us, but couldn't score

------------------------------------------------------------------

Transfers

Incoming to the club were DM's Kuami Agboh, a former Togo international, now also my youth coach, from Stade Auxerre and Zé Lopes from Vizela, both on free's. Also coming in was D/WB/ML César on a free. He would give us some experience and class down the left. With Scarpa suspended and Riberto injured, I was down to 1 fit striker, so I signed ST James Pucci as a 6 month cover. He struggled through his first game, earning a 6.00 rating. However, the next day ST Andrea Piccone arrived on loan from parent club Reggina, so I free-transferred Pucci.

Outgoing were D/WBL Nicoló Bachiocchi for £18k to Giulanova and club appearance record holder, GK Michele Nardi, also for £18k to L'Aprilla both were bitching about no game time.

I also tweaked the formation so it looked more like this

newformation.jpg

This is always something that I have wanted to try since reading the books mentioned. A few things worry me, namely your defensive errors. Therefore it will be interesting to see how quickly you can start regularly shutting out opponents using the level of player that you have at your disposal or if you need a better calibre of defender. Of course then you'd be up against better attackers but if it's the players that are a problem and not the system it could be very satisfying! Can't wait for the December update!

Also loving the posts about history and tactics, very fresh! I'd love something about the finances at this level.

This is always something that I have wanted to try since reading the books mentioned. A few things worry me, namely your defensive errors. Therefore it will be interesting to see how quickly you can start regularly shutting out opponents using the level of player that you have at your disposal or if you need a better calibre of defender. Of course then you'd be up against better attackers but if it's the players that are a problem and not the system it could be very satisfying! Can't wait for the December update!

Thanks man! I think it is more about trying to solve the problem of facing two strikers along with my defenders simply not being very composed. Better defenders and some experimentation needed! As for finances, I'll sort something out about that.

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, February 2012 Review

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 0 Pro Patria (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Another good defensive performance. The changes I've made seem to really help, however we still need better players

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 2 Giacomense (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

We went ahead on 4 mins through Andrea Piccone. But two defensive breakdowns in 4 mins lead to us losing the game 1-2.

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Rimini (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Ivan Graziani hit the winner in this match, set up by a good ball from Bruno

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 1 Alessandria (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

A good win against top 5 opposition. Andrea Piccone put us on our way with a cool finish on 51 mins and Michele Mignani headed home on 60 mins to put us two up. However, Alessandria pulled one back with a looping header from a corner.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The changes that I made have helped a lot, but the problems still are players aren't good enough.

Looks like you're sort of having the same problem I had when trying to make a "tactical" save (albeit Barcelona tiki-taka and catenaccio are almost diametrically opposed systems!) - it's all great in theory but when the results don't come, it's time to make changes and you may progressively move away from your theoretical tactical goal.

Nevertheless the few changes you made have not departed from the core values of the system, and the results have improved, it may simply be a case of having the patience to stick to it, while slowly improving the squad through transfer market management.

As a side-note that Zé Lopes guy is very good in my FM11 save, I don't want to spoil too much but he was able to play at an higher level than that.

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, March 2012 Review

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 2 Montichiari (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

We lost Ivan Graziani early on to injury and the game never got better.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 2 Virtus Entella (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Without Riberto or Graziani, we were nothing. The replacements were sub-standard and the defence decided to disintegrate.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 4 Bellaria (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

My worst defeat so far. We blundered so much, I thought we were in an Inspector Clouseau film. Two penalties conceded by Angelo Gregiori and a suicide pass giving the striker an open goal made up most of the goals. We're sinking without good strikers.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 0 Treviso (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

A slight steadying of the ship. Graziani will be back next game, so I'm hoping for better.

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgCorriere de Santarcangelo di Romagna

Grazie-iani!

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Valenzana (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

We bossed this game. I held a team meeting before and, for once, the team all got behind me and were fired up for the match. We just couldn't score. Bianciotto was most guilty, shooting straight at the keeper on a number of occasions. Valenzana rattled the bar from 25 yards and I feared it wouldn't be our day, but Ivan Graziani's hassling of the fullback meant that he was all alone on a tight angle and just thumped it in on 81 mins for a priceless win

After that win, the table looks like this...

table5togo.jpg

Casale, Folks!

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 1 Casale (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

This game was much the same as the last, we fought, we pushed and on 73 mins, Giovanni Bianciotto got the goal his work-rate deserved. Ivan Graziani rode one challenge on the edge of the box and set Bianciotto free just inside to roll the ball wide into the corner. We were ecstatic. The catenaccio was working! But then,

The table, with 4 games to go...

table4togo.jpg

Sav-Oh-No-A!

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 Savona (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Just...ugh. A garbage goal to concede as a long cross hoisted into the area was met by the head of the Savona striker. His header hit an unfortunate Zé Lopes and deflected into the net on 18 minutes. Three minutes later, Savona were down to ten via a straight red. Both Cosimo Bruno and Luca Riberto made their long-awaited returns from injury, but to no avail

Just 3 to go...

table3togo.jpg

Buggiano Out!

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 0 Borgo a Buggiano (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Wow. A gripping win over the already relegated Borgo side! We took the lead on 34 minutes with Angelo Gregorio's header from a corner. Borgo should why they've been relegated with a terrible display. We sealed the deal with a carbon-copy goal scored by Michele Miganini

table1togo.jpg

So it's come down to this. Our last game? Against the team just above. Winning is the ONLY way I don't get relegated straightaway.

La Grande Fuga!

Santarcangelo Calcio 4 - 1 Sambonifacese (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Holy jumpin', what a match...Knowing only a win would do, I pumped up the team's tires with a team meeting. I then told them they could do it in the pre-game show, then sent them out. And a raking long ball saw Giovanni Bianciotto outpace his marker and slam the ball under the keeper! 1-0. This propelled us out of both the relegation zone and the relegatuon playout as all three catchable teams above me at the start of the game were down. Giovanni Bianciotto was everywhere with his hustle and because of that, he robbed a defender and then slammed the ball past the keeper again on 36 mins. Two minutes later, Ivan Graziani headed home from a corner and we were 3-0 up and cruising. Sambonifacese hit back on 40 mins with a scruffy tap-in from a corner and, even worse, Filippo Baldinini saw a straight red for a two-footed challenge. At HT, we were 3-1 up and a man down. Halfway through the second half, we were down to 9! Two-goal hero Giovanni Bianciotto receiving his marching orders for a second yellow for diving. I panicked, but Alessandro Fabbri headed home from a pinpoint Beatrizzotti free-kick from deep. 4-1 and we rode out the game and the win to stay up!

Final table

finaltable.jpg

That was Sambonifac-easy! ;)

Great work staying up by the skin of your teeth, hope for a better showing next year!

SantarcangelOMG, what a finish to the season! :p

How do you rate your chances of improving next season?

Thanks guys, but leave the puns to the Master :p And I have no idea on next season yet.

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, 2011-12 Season Review

We finished 15th in our first season in Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2. Our first team was close to being able to compete, but below that, we struggled mightly. We scored the lowest number of goals in the league this seaspn, but had the 5th best defence, so it's not all doom and gloom! Ivan Graziani was our top scorer with 15 overall and 11 in the league. He was also top on assists with 5 and took home the Supporter's Player Of The Year. Sweeper Angelo Gregorio took home the most MoM's with 5. I've also applied for a new parent club, hoping I can do better than Reggina...

Plans for the off-season include re-modelling the defence and fine-tuning the formation. Cup-wise, we did brilliantly in making the First Round of the Coppa Italia Lega Pro and I'd be delighted with the same this season!. Before the start of the pre-season, I got my budget. £8.75k wage budget and £0 transfer budget. This sucks, because I have a £9.5k wage budget already.... We also landed sponsorship deals to the tune of £70k, when our previous was £35k. It's a start....

Pure entertainment there, I may have just said in my discussion thread that I generally dislike match-by-match reports, but the tense summary of every match leading to a seemingly inevitable relegation was enthralling. Very well done to pull it off in the end.

Is it time to revise the tactical system again, however? May have been an entertaining end of the season, but I imagine the fans, while delighted with that final game, won't have enjoyed such suffering.

2012-13 Coppa Italia Lega Pro, Group E

-----------------------------

Carrarese

Rimini

Santarcangelo

San Marino

Virtus Enella

Rimini and San Marino were the same as last year, Virtus and Carrarese are the new boys. Again, I'm not expecting anything

Archived