Calcio II: Catenaccio Reloaded

Deisler26

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Skin...of...teeth...:)

Phew! I almost didn't want to scroll down in case I saw you had got relegated. Well done!

Thanks man! Yeah, it was that hairy here too! I think I almost cried when Casale equailsed in the 92nd min of our match, as well as almost having a heart attack at being 3-1 up with only 9 men on the pitch!

Gonna be trialling a new formation this season, designed to eradicte some of the problems from last year's (semi)-successful trial

5-3-2.jpg

This will allow me to man-mark ALL forward players in keeping with the ideals of catenaccio

Very interesting, I LOVE the theory. It just depends if the players know what marking is haha. Also you still have two men upfront to be a threat on the counter. I love it. Here's wishing you every success. :)

Very interesting, I LOVE the theory. It just depends if the players know what marking is haha. Also you still have two men upfront to be a threat on the counter. I love it. Here's wishing you every success. :)

Thanks man, that's really appreciated!

Yep, what SnakeXe said!

I'm looking forward to the new defensive set up.

Edit: Something that I have just noticed; Calcio II... is this the second Catenaccio thread or something?

No, I based the whole idea of this thread on the ideas and excellent writing of the Calcio book by John Foot

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, 2012-13 Pre-season Report

Well, we've been on a signing bender. All 5 players that were co-owned have come into the club permanently; These players being Paolo Beatrizzotti, Alex Lodovisi, Nicola Zavelloni, Nicola Del Pino and Kadir Caidi. Out of these, Lodivisi's contract was terminated and Zavelloni was listed for loan. As I'd had my wage budget slashed again, I was desperate for some class to try to push this team ahead and I had to scout hard throughout Serie A & B for loans and free's. My two major coups were the co-ownership of DM Jordan Pedrocci for £70k from Chievo Verona. I had to dump a lot of salary and maximise my transfer budget for him, but he will be a major player once Agboh has retired. The other major coup was ST Nadir Bendahmane on a free. I had to offer him everything. Max salary, 50% wage hike per season, 50% sell-on clause, £250k release clause, max appearance/goals/dream team bonus. Everything.

Also coming in was DR/L Alex Lieti for £10k over 48 months from Giulianova and 16 year old DC Renzo Ravanelli for £3k from AlbinoLeffe. Coming in on free's were ST's Rolando Zárate from Defensa y Justica and, in another small coup, ST Antonio Campillo from Getafe. Also coming in were 17 year old MC Danilo Mastroianni and MC/AMC Francesco Corapi from Vibonese. Finally, MC Marco Roma, DM Simone Lucci and GK Antonio Santurro, all on loan from new parent club, Parma.

Outgoing were a number of middling players on free's who, if I'm honest, could work hard in the the current system but we really don't have the budget to keep them on. D/WBL César was sold to Uniao Madeira for £7k, DC Michele Mignani was sold to Vibonese for £500, DRC Claudio Cola & AMRL/ST Silvio Scarpa sold to Castel Rigone, who has just been taken over by a media mogul, for £4.5k and £50k respectively. Finally MC Dario Bazzi was sold for £10k to Arzanese.

2012-13 Coppa Italia Lega Pro, Group E

-----------------------------

Carrarese

Rimini

Santarcangelo

Savona

Virtus Enella

Rimini are the same as last year, Virtus, Savona and Carrarese are the new boys. Again, I'm not expecting anything

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, August 2012 Review

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 Carrese (Coppa Italia Lega Pro, Group E)

We battled hard with a virtually brand-new defence and a new strikeforce, but lost to a 35 yard strike on 80mins

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Virtus Entella (Coppa Italia Lega Pro, Group E)

I changed strikers again by necessity and it paid off as Ivan Graziani stabbed home a Campillo cross, before Nicola Zavalloni earnt himself a straight red ONE MINUTE after coming on

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 0 Rimini (Coppa Italia Lega Pro, Group E)

A slightly stale game in which neither side really shone. A bore draw

Catenaccio seems to be working atm. This new formation allows me to man-mark their front line well.

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, September 2012 Review

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Vibonese (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Excellent, strong defensive work, coupled with a breakaway Ivan Graziani goal meant we started off the season with a win

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 0 Savona (Coppa Italia Lega Pro, Group E)

Another dull bore draw. And with this 0-0, we exited the Coppa Italia Lega Pro in the first round, finishing 3rd

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 3 Montichari (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Total defensive lapses.

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 0 Novese (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Much, much better! A first ever goal for Francesco Copari and a breakaway goal by Ivan Graziani sealed the points

Santarcangelo Calcio 3 - 1 Catanzatro (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Angelo Gregorio bundled over a striker to gift them a penalty and a goal on 5 mins, before Nadir Bendahmane took centre stage with a glorious hat-trick

[video=youtube;QunGx7939Os]

Copari's wonder-strike against Novese

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, October 2012 Review

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 Ebolitana (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

An unlucky 0-1 defeat against the league leaders. We were unable to clear a corner and were punished

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 Aprila (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

The same pattern as the last match, only this time it was a 25 yard shot that Bartolini let slip through his fingers

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Vigor Lamezia (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Antonio Campillo finished off a wonderful counter attack on 42 mins with his first goal for the club and stopped the slide

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 0 Mezzocorona (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Antonio Campillo got his second in two games to finish off a team that was on the ropes from Nadir Bendahmane's early goal

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 1 Perugia (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

The glamour match of the season saw us take a share of the spoils. Ivan Graziani rammed home a penalty after being fouled, only for us to be pegged back by an 85th minute venomous free-kick from 30 yards

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 1 Neapolis Frattese (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

A fantastic win against the league leaders! Zé Lopes headed home on 13 mins to put us 1-0 up, only to be pegged back by a finish from outside the box. We then exchanged red cards, Kwami Agboh gettng his marching orders for a second yellow. I bought on Antonio Campillo on 89 mins and he popped up a minute later to lash home the winner from a yard out

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 Arzanese (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

A flukey goal in which it bounced in off the defender's thigh settled this match, with very little goalmouth action

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, November 2012 Review

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 1 Feralpi Salo (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

A sparkling moment of skill from Jordan Pedrocci lit up this game as his cheeky backheel set up Francesco Corapi to slam home. However, we paid for lax marking on a corner.

Santarcangelo Calcio 3 - 1 Brindisi (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

A terrible o.g put us in the lead, before two strikes of real quality from Ivan Graziani made the game safe. We even rode out the late goal and battering

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 0 Milazzo (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Francesco Corapi continued his excellent recent form with a goal early on, then substitute Rolando Zárate netted a late insurance marker, his first ever for the club

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 1 Fano (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Cristian Altobelli rescued us against relegation-threatened Fano. His stabbed shot following a melee in the goal area brought us level after we went behind early

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 0 Siracusa (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

I expected this one to be tight and when Ivan Graziani missed a 15th min penalty, I thought our luck was up. But Francesco Corapi rolled one in via the post and Antonio Campillo lashed home late on to give us another 3 points

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 0 Virtus Entella (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

Rolando Zárate put his personal differences aside to lash home a double to lead us safely past Entella

[video=youtube;M1A1bJLj3EI]

Glorious move by Pedrocchi

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, December 2012 Review

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 1 Fondi (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

We went down just before HT, thanks to a sizzling strike that hit the angle and bounced in before Santurro could react. Antonio Campillo saved our blushes with a tap-in on 73 mins..

Santarcangelo Calcio 4 - 1 Aversa Normanna (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

We ran riot. Antonio Campillo opened the scoring with a fierce shot. Rolando Zárate hit a double and Ivan Graziani finished off the rout, before we conceded from a corner late on.

Santarcangelo Calcio 3 - 4 Celano (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

I had a bad feeling about this game as I had no striking cover on the bench due to injury. However, those fears were allayed when, first Francesco Corapi, then Jordan Petrocchi and finally Ivan Graziani conspired to put us up 3-0 by half-time. This then spectacularly fell apart as we conceded 4 goals in the second half, three of them were from corners. I had to walk away from the screen in order not to break something....

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 1 Vibonese (Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2)

When we went 0-1 down to ANOTHER goal from a corner and then hit the bar and post, I feared the worst. But Ivan Graziani netted on 77 mins to equalise and, with time almost up, 16 year old DC Renzo Ravanelli

with a diving header to cap an unlikely comeback.

---------------------------------------------------------------

dec2012.jpg

Wow, what a turnaround from last year! We finished 2012 in 2nd place in Lega Pro Seconda Divisione C2/A. This was largely a combination of better players and a change of tactics. The new 1-4-3-2 meant that the two DC's were free to man mark any combination of two strikers in the opposition formation. Something we had severely been lacking in the previous season. Also, thiis platform allowed us to attack a lot better through clearances. We also finished 2012 with the joint meanest defence in C2/A, a tribute to how well the catenaccio was working! Surprisingly we were as high as 6th in goals scored too!

Ivan Graziani finished 2012 as our top league scorer with 8 goals with Antonio Campillo second on 6. Rolando Zarate was third on 5, but all his goals came on sub appearances, not starts! Graziani also shard the assists lead with Zé Lopes with 5. Trailing in third was Jordan Pedrocchi with 3.

That seems tempting, on the other hand surely you'd like to get your current team promoted before moving on? Tough choice.

The tactic seems solid and I understand the theory. And it's working, so no reason to change. But if I were you I'd experiment occasionally with forwards coming from the wings as I see that as a very narrow attack, with no threat whatsoever from the wings. I see you have an advanced forward which helps as they roam onto the wings sometimes, but I'd maybe go more extreme and try a combo of a single AML/AMR winger + ST, or even a duo of wrong-footed FL + FR!

But maybe that's not catenaccio. I'm just letting my imagination flow and throwing out ideas! :)

Who are Avellino?

I wouldn't, a season or two and you can really have this team playing as you want them to. Maybe a promotion is on the cards either this season or next, the this style is really suited to keeping your team safe if you do go up.

If you moved you would have to build the team again which would be a shame as you seem to be close to doing that with this squad. :)

That seems tempting, on the other hand surely you'd like to get your current team promoted before moving on? Tough choice.

The tactic seems solid and I understand the theory. And it's working, so no reason to change. But if I were you I'd experiment occasionally with forwards coming from the wings as I see that as a very narrow attack, with no threat whatsoever from the wings. I see you have an advanced forward which helps as they roam onto the wings sometimes, but I'd maybe go more extreme and try a combo of a single AML/AMR winger + ST, or even a duo of wrong-footed FL + FR!

But maybe that's not catenaccio. I'm just letting my imagination flow and throwing out ideas! :)

It's an interesting idea and one that does keep in with the ideals. HOWEVER, I couldn't attract a winger of that calibre to play for me. He'd need to be a C2/B version of Ronaldo

Much improved this season, glad it's started to work out :)

I think you should stick around until the end of the season personally, results have been improving month on month, there's a trophy to be won here.

Thanks man. I do want to stay, but I was tempted, especially by the fact they do actually have a youth setup!

Who are Avellino?

I wouldn't, a season or two and you can really have this team playing as you want them to. Maybe a promotion is on the cards either this season or next, the this style is really suited to keeping your team safe if you do go up.

If you moved you would have to build the team again which would be a shame as you seem to be close to doing that with this squad. :)

These were basically my thoughts.

More bad luck!

Yes, and no. Yes, he was a quality player, but no, he would have been a HUGE drain on my already-unstable finances and I've already got one player like that who hasn't exactly set the world alight. In short, I think I'm a little glad that it fell apart.

Everything's starting to click, by the looks of things :thup:

I'd definitely stay put until the end of the season, especially as you're looking good for promotion. Reggina would be a huge step up though, and it would be a massive decision to turn them down.

Everything's starting to click, by the looks of things :thup:

I'd definitely stay put until the end of the season, especially as you're looking good for promotion. Reggina would be a huge step up though, and it would be a massive decision to turn them down.

If only it was Reggina! Sadly, it's Reggiana, so I won't be accepting!

Well, it appears that my Santarcangelo career is at an end. I can't get past the 24th Jan 2013 without it crash-dumping. I have one of two solutions. Either a) roll-back to an earlier save and see if this is just a one-off or b) quit and move past the 24/01/13 date and start again. I've tested the second and it works. Now attempting to test the first.

If it doesn't work how about starting with a bigger team then adopting some challenges like only Italian signings or something?

It would be a real shame if you can't stick with this game though i'm really enjoying it :)

I re-added myself after the 24th and when I went to talk to my staff again, it crashed.

Right, I need a favour from you guys. Do I take it like a man and find another club? Or do I use FMRTE (Imagine how much I love this save to even contemplate this) to put myself back into the Santarcangelo hotseat?

Archived