Calcio II: Catenaccio Reloaded

Deisler26

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, January 2023 Review

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 2 AS Roma (Serie A TIM)

OK, starting to worry....

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 0 Juventus (Serie A TIM)

We were battered from start to finish and only an MoM performance by Mirco Doria meant we escaped with a point.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 4 F.C Internazionale (Serie A TIM)

Our ninth game without a goall. Now only three points from relegation zone

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Udinese (Serie A TIM)

YES! Finally! New signing Fabio Aveni got the goall that gave us our first win and goal in nine games!

------------------------------------------------------------

A little interlude here before the transfers, so I can explain my thinking. I had over £5m in the bank and over £75k spare in wages to go out and buy myself some talent. But, dear reader, you've seen my day-to-day operations in the last 11 years and you know that's not my style. As I've said before, I do try to make things a little realistic in this, so with our alarming slump growing worse by the second, I had to take stock of the players, fixtures and just what I was going to do.. So, I decided to plan for relegation. We've hopefully turned the corner with the Udinese win, but that kind of run again, and we're in the bottom three. So a lot of the sales and changes were made with the thought of playing in Lega Serie Bwin next season. Hopefully of course, we'll survive. Hopefully.

---------------------------------------------------------

Only one player in this transfer window, ST Fabio Aveni, released from SS Lazio's youth system in the summer.

Outgoings were, sadly, somewhat more. A club record £4.5m + 50% was recieved from Atalanta for DR Nunzio Novelli. Novelli was a Santarcangelo youth product, Italy U-21 captain and a cornerstone of our defence. But £4.5m is a hell of a lot for a small-town side like us and, because of the thoughts above, I felt the team just couldn't say no to this. Immediately, I recalled our backup DR from loan at our feeder club and went from there. GK Simon Jaime bitched about lack of playing time and was promptly booted out to Feyenoord for £3.5m + 50% (God bless Serie A TIM price rises!). Finally, AC Milan came in with a co-ownership deal for Raffaele Terracciano. At £3.3m, I took their arm off as that'll mean that even if he is bought out by them for £0, I've made £3.3m profit!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shame about losing Novelli, hopefully won't be long before you can keep hold of your youth products no matter the price! Aveni looks a good poacher, hopefully he can nab a few goals and keep you up. Certainly a bold move planning for relegation given that your form really hasn't been that bad considering you're a promoted side with a decent number of wins on the board already. What does the table look like?

Shame about losing Novelli, hopefully won't be long before you can keep hold of your youth products no matter the price! Aveni looks a good poacher, hopefully he can nab a few goals and keep you up. Certainly a bold move planning for relegation given that your form really hasn't been that bad considering you're a promoted side with a decent number of wins on the board already. What does the table look like?
Aveni looks like he can do some damage :)

How far bottom are you? What is the difference between you and safety?

tablarasa.jpg

It's tight...

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, February 2023 Review

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 0 Juve Stabia (Serie A TIM)

BOOM! A good win against the league's bottom team. Sergio Corallo got the opener then, after 25 games, Raffaele Terracciano scored his first goal for the club to give us a vital 2-0 win.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 2 Novara (Serie A TIM)

We need to beat the teams below us to stay up. And we didn't do it here.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 0 Cagliari (Serie A TIM)

4 points from 9 against the teams below really isn't cutting it....

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, March 2023 Review

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 3 Fiorentina (Serie A TIM)

*sigh* Owned again.....

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 Citti de Palermo (Serie A TIM)

As I keep saying, we need to beat the teams below us to stay up. And we didn't do it here either.

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 2 Sampdoria (Serie A TIM)

Davide Petrucci netted a late consolation, but I was disappointed with the way we conceded the first two

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 S.S Lazio (Serie A TIM)

We're slowly slipping away...

Looks like two very capable youth players to me, but unfortunate they are forward players if you just need defenders. Still, can make you some dosh in the future if they don't make the grade. That is starting to become my system now too.

Hopefully you can get some more wins on the board soon, 9 games without a goal is worrying to say the least, as is four losses in row. Keep the faith though, and even if you do go down, not blowing tons of money on transfers now will keep the club afloat if things should go pearshaped.

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, April 2023 Review

Santarcangelo Calcio 3 - 0 Torino (Serie A TIM)

Finally! A great 3-0 win started with a Fabio Aveni tap-in, then came a Cristian Pinton drive from 20 yards! Finally, Sergio Corallo topped it all off with a lashed shot into the roof of the net, late on.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 3 AC Milan (Serie A TIM)

This time, Milan put three past me...

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 3 Brescia (Serie A TIM)

We came back from behind twice to draw, through goals from Cristian Pinton and Sergio Corallo, but an 87th minute winner kicked us in the teeth.

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 3 Parma (Serie A TIM)

This was the backbreaker. They're high up the table and we took the lead through an own-goal. But three late second half goals killed us.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 2 Napoli (Serie A TIM)

Not even at the races in this one.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 3 ChievoVerona (Serie A TIM)

This result dumped us into the relegation zone and me into a panic...

-----------------------------------------------------

tablemay2023.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------

[video=youtube_share;AN3qXipkb7U]

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, May 2023 Review

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 2 Atalanta (Serie A TIM)

Arrgh!! Even a team meeting didn't help us on this one. Ex-player Bilal Yilmaz hammered a nail into our coffin in the 94th minute...

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 3 Genoa (Serie A TIM)

Andrea Giovanni Maino lashed home on 8 mins to give us a fighting chance, but Genoa's superior skill shone through in the second half...

downdowndown.jpg

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 2 AS Roma (Serie A TIM)

We bowed out of Serie A TIM with a whimper after two first half goals...

Hard luck, April and May were very cruel. I hope you negotiated some relegation wage drop clauses! Or at least didn't have too many top division clauses to begin with. Your rep and infrastructure and support and all those good things should be improved, and you'll come straight back up.

Absolutely crushed to see you relegated mate, especially after working so hard to get there. However as long as you keep producing/finding the talent you have been I'm sure you'll be back soon. It's unfortunate you had to sell on a lot of key men, but those funds will be crucial in improving the facilities (side note: what are their current levels?). I'm amazed you were able to include +50% clauses in all of them, hopefully they make it big!

Unfortunate with relegation but you can get back up again, I'm sure. Good luck. Looking for some good reinforcements over the summer?

Thanks man. I'm not entirely sure if I will get in reinforcements to be honest, it was injuries that killed us this season. I usually run with a system of First Team/Reserve/Youth for each position, but I was down 5 strikers at one point and two youth players will not cut it in Serie A.

Hard luck, April and May were very cruel. I hope you negotiated some relegation wage drop clauses! Or at least didn't have too many top division clauses to begin with. Your rep and infrastructure and support and all those good things should be improved, and you'll come straight back up.

I made sure all my new contracts had relegation wage drops. I'm a very hard taskmaster.

Absolutely crushed to see you relegated mate, especially after working so hard to get there. However as long as you keep producing/finding the talent you have been I'm sure you'll be back soon. It's unfortunate you had to sell on a lot of key men, but those funds will be crucial in improving the facilities (side note: what are their current levels?). I'm amazed you were able to include +50% clauses in all of them, hopefully they make it big!

Again, I'm quite a hard person when it comes to selling players. If they're going, they're going on my terms.

facilities2023.jpg

are my facilities at the minute. The youth facilities are being upgraded this season along with the pitch being relaid.

Definitely fight tooth and nail to keep Doria. If he really is destined to be the next Buffon he's virtually priceless. Unlucky that Mladen is going to call it a day, have you got a good young player to step into the positon?

Ish. I'm just gutted that he's going as he was my captain and could play all along the backline. Plus he was the only player to play from Lega Pro Secunda Divisione A all the way up to Serie A TIM, as well as being my all-time appearance leader.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from, not only are versatile players super useful in a small squad during an injury crisis, but we get attached to players that perform well for so long. Hopefully you can give him a good send off :)

I signed him for my backroom staff as ever :p

Archived