Calcio II: Catenaccio Reloaded

Deisler26

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, October 2020 Review

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 0 Bologna (Lega Serie Bwin)

Marius Lupo saw a straight red for a two-footed challenge on 10 mins and then Sergio Corallo got injured after 38 mins. The Corallo injury would keep him out for 6 weeks and we were extremely lucky to come away with a point against another recently relegated side.

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 0 Varese (Lega Serie Bwin)

Wesley Verbeek hit the opener for this injury/suspension depleted side. 9 out of the 11 on the pitch were youth products and one of the other two had been at the club for 8 years! Along with that, the first XI had an average age of 18! Late on, there was a roar around the ground as 17 year old Carlos Alberto Vinci scored his first senior goal on his debut for the club to bring the points home

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Vicenza (Lega Serie Bwin)

Carlos Alberto Vinci slammed home in the fourth minute to give us the win.

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 1 Bari (Lega Serie Bwin)

Our first match against the last of the three relegated ex-Serie A sides saw us take the lead on an own goal, then rely on Doria's excellent keeping until they bundled home a corner midway through the second half.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 Pescara (Lega Serie Bwin)

Classic FM game. Lupo was back, so he went up front with Vinci who'd gone cold in this one. We knocked at the door all game. Vinci made way for Verbeek who skinned his marker, got into the area, stroked it past the keeper's despairing dive FOUR times. The problem was everyone rolled wide of the post. They scored and won on their only shot of the game.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 Nocerina (Lega Serie Bwin)

An own goal settled this. Wesley Verbeek had all our six shots. Five of which trickled past the post.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, November 2020 Review

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 0 Livorno (Lega Serie Bwin)

We lost Verbeek and Pinton to injury during the game and saw Stefano Guarardi sent off for a second yellow in this rearguard action.

Santarcangelo Calcio 3 - 0 Reggina (Lega Serie Bwin)

Carlos Alberto Vinci was restored to the lineup and rewarded us with a brace. Wesley Verbeek setting the tin hat on a good win for us.

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 1 Benevento (Lega Serie Bwin)

Mario Nosdeo unleashed an absolute screamer to give us the lead, however we were pegged back midway through the second.

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Hellas Verona (Lega Serie Bwin)

Carlos Alberto Vinci curled home a gorgeous 20 yard strike to give us the win and make him our top scorer this season.

----------------------------------------------------------

[video=youtube_share;cT3r_UTgHiA]

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, December 2020 Review

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Piacenza (Lega Serie Bwin)

Sergio Corallo netted the only goal of the game to give us a good win and keep us in the playoff hunt.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 Novara (Lega Serie Bwin)

A good run halted in exactly the same way as the other defeats. Dominate, lose.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 Empoli (Lega Serie Bwin)

See above.

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Foggia (Lega Serie Bwin)

Francesco Cortini's first ever goal for the club arrested the slide and made sure we'd finish 2020 in 6th place.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I have a lot on my mind for the transfer window. Does Carlo Alberto Vinci's emergence mean that Wesley Verbeek is expendable if it comes to it? Marius Lupo may be the reigning U-19 Golden Boot holder, but he's been an absolute lemon for us this season and I'm wondering whether to cash in on him? Do I sell some of my backup defenders? It's all a mystery!

This is too good to leave til the January update...

hellodoria.jpg

Amazing!! I first randomly enquired as to his price. I was given it, then I used every penny I had. I scrimped and sold and let players be co-owned to afford most of it, then did it over 24 months...

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, January 2021 Review

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 0 Crotone (Lega Serie Bwin)

This match marked the halfway point of the season. And also marked the dullest game of the season so far.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 0 Modena (Lega Serie Bwin)

Another blank. We're struggling....

Santarcangelo Calcio 4 - 0 Grosseto (Lega Serie Bwin)

BOOM! We laid the smackdown on Grosseto with a hat-trick from Wesley Verbeek and a goal from Sergio Corallo. This marked the first game that both strikers were available to me, since the opening month of the season.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 2 Triestina (Lega Serie Bwin)

Dead and buried in 11 minutes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well. I suppose that I should start with the big news.... Club icon, GK Mirco Doria, returned to the club from Fiorentina on a 4 year deal for £2.5m over 24 months + 10% sell on and £9m buy-back clause. I'm utterly over the moon with this. It's crippled me like the stadium did, but I wanted it MUCH more than that :D. Also coming in were DC/MC Yakubu Isaac for £14k from Enyimba in Ghana and Finnish free-agent AMC Janne Virtanen on a 6 month deal. Virtanen was brought in, just to give us a bit of a lift for the season run-in, a talented MC who will push Degeri and Nosdeo for the starting slot. On Isaac, I think my scouts stitched me up. He's good, but I have a lot like him. Me thinks he may be out come August..

We had a lot of exits, both permanent and partial. First up, GK Achille Bergondo left for Trier for £75k, along with GK Pavel Masek who went to Schalke 04 for £550k + 50%. They were both surplus to requirements following Doria's signing. DC Daniel Addo, a possible star in the making, was just not proving himself up against my home-grown defence, so I shipped him off to Udinese for £700k + 50%. Also leaving permanently was ST Francesco Javier Caballero for £14k to Eibar. He'd just not proved himself and had been eclipsed by Vinci. Leaving on the co-ownership front were DC Cristian Conversano for £550k to Sampdoria and disappointing ST Marius Lupo was co-owned by Cagliari for £450k

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, Febuary 2021 Review

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 Sorrento (Lega Serie Bwin)

Nggh. Next.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 Juve Stabia (Lega Serie Bwin)

I just... *disgusted noise*

Santarcangelo Calcio 5 - 1 AlbinoLeffe (Lega Serie Bwin)

That's more like it! A hat-trick from Wesley Verbeek and goals from Sergio Corallo and Mario Nosdeo sealed a fabulous win for us.

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 2 Bologna (Lega Serie Bwin)

Wesley Verbeek hit the equaliser, before Andrea Maino's 80th minute own-goal sank us.

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, March 2021 Review

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Varese (Lega Serie Bwin)

Wesley Verbeek with the winner in this tight contest.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 AS Bari (Lega Serie Bwin)

Tough loss against the runaway league leaders

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 1 Vicenza (Lega Serie Bwin)

Sergio Corallo put us ahead in the first half with a sweet finish, but Mirco Doria's fumbling of a harmless 85th minute free-kick meant that they equalised to snatch a point.

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Pescara (Lega Serie Bwin)

Wesley Verbeek got the winner, midway through the second half.

You seem to get fantastic youths every season. Going for youth recruitment is paying off :thup:

You reckon they are good enough to make the team right off the bat? Or the near future?

I think they're definitely next season's backups. If they play well.... Who knows?

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, April 2021 Review

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 1 Nocerina (Lega Serie Bwin)

Wesley Verbeek combined with an own goal to see off the playoff contenders.

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Livorno (Lega Serie Bwin)

That man, Wesley Verbeek, stepped up again to give us a priceless win

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 1 Reggina (Lega Serie Bwin)

Wesley Verbeek hauled us level, but even with two sendings off for Reggina, we couldn't get the winner.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 3 Novara (Lega Serie Bwin)

Owned.

--------------------------------------------------------

We're basically fighting for a playoff place. Check that. We're basically fighting for one of two spots. There are 5 teams within 3 points of 5th place.

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, May 2021 Review

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 1 Benevento (Lega Serie Bwin)

Lorenzo Degeri and Amedeo Del Nevo netted in this good win to wipe the taste away from the last game.

Santarcangelo Calcio 3 - 2 Hellas Verona (Lega Serie Bwin)

Wesley Verbeek, Cristian Pinton and Francesco Cortini helped us turn a 1-2 deficit into a 3-2 win.

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 1 Piacenza (Lega Serie Bwin)

Our third game in a week saw Wesley Verbeek haul us level and Francesco Valentini head home the winner.

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 1 Empoli (Lega Serie Bwin)

Cristiano Conversano came in to the squad because of injury and promptly headed us into the lead. Another misfiring player, Marius Lupo, add the second midway through the second to give us the lead for good.

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 0 Foggia (Lega Serie Bwin)

Marius Lupo netted again to give us the lead which Wesley Verbeek sealed late on with a stroked finish.

Santarcangelo Calcio 3 - 1 Crotone (Lega Serie Bwin)

Marius Lupo netted his third in three games, trying desperately to convince me that he was worth keeping. Francesco Cortini netted as did Janne Virtanen, his first in his last league match for us..

-----------------------------------------------------------

Wow. What a difference a month makes! That run of 18 points from 18 saw us overhaul a previously-unassailable Sorrento to finish in 4th place in Lega Serie Bwin. Playoffs now beckon and we've had a fantastic run into them. Let's hope we can keep it up!

My finishes over the last 10 years.

2011-12 12th place, Lega Pro Seconda Divisione A

2012-13 12th place, Lega Pro Seconda Divisione A

2013-14 11th place, Lega Pro Seconda Divisione A

2014-15 2nd place, promoted, Lega Pro Seconda Divisione B

2015-16 6th place, Lega Pro Prima Divisione A

2016-17 6th place, Lega Pro Prima Divisione A

2017-18 4th place, Lega Pro Prima Divisione B

2018-19 1st place, Champions, Lega Pro Prima Divisione A

2019-20 3rd place, Lega Serie Bwin

2020-21 4th place, Lega Serie Bwin

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, June/Postseason 2021 Review

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Sorrento (Lega Serie Bwin Playoff Semi-Final, Leg 1)

Mario Nosdeo scored the only goal of the game to give us a slender lead for the second leg.

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 0 Sorrento (Lega Serie Bwin Playoff Semi-Final, Leg 2)

Alessandro Mirko Fagri volleyed us into the lead and Carlo Alberto Vinci fired home in the 89th minute to give us a 3-0 win on aggregate.

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Bologna (Lega Serie Bwin Playoff Final, Leg 1)

A Francesco Cortini penallty gave us a first leg lead and put us THIS close to Serie A TIM...

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 2e Bologna (Lega Serie Bwin Playoff Final, Leg 2)

We were battered from minute 1. We held out until the 56th minute, when a misake by Luca Buldrini let in their striker. Full Time came and went and finally, in the 116th minute, a bullet header from a deep cross saw Bologna winners, 1-2 on aggregate and us looking at another broken season

Well its a tough loss in the playoffs, but I really do like the youth you've gotten, especially Bonomi.

Its great news about Doria coming back - on my save, despite my captain and formerly best player Elliot Law's skill level being about two divisions down from the Premier League, I refuse to sell him! You got attached to the buggers, cant deny it!

Bad luck missing out on promotion again, but that is one hell of a batch of youth players! What kind of potential is 4-4.5* for you now? Good Serie A?

Ha! I wish! More like leading Serie Bwin. Our rep is still shot and with the terrible training facilites....

So unlucky in Play-Offs mate :/
Tough break in the playoffs but a great batch of youth players coming through.
Unlucky in the final mate. Serie A cant be far away.

Thanks guys. Yeah, it was gutting, but my track record of getting out of each division is four years. So I'm ahead of schedule! ;)

On the slight upside, now you'll REALLY feel like you've earned promotion to Serie A when it happens. But as others have said, spending longer in Serie B should make you better prepared to remain in Serie A. Although your facility expansion was cancelled, increasing the youth recruitment network is still a nice addition to your facilities. Hopefully you can keep bigger clubs away from the core of your team and really push hard for automatic promotion next season :)

On the slight upside, now you'll REALLY feel like you've earned promotion to Serie A when it happens. But as others have said, spending longer in Serie B should make you better prepared to remain in Serie A. Although your facility expansion was cancelled, increasing the youth recruitment network is still a nice addition to your facilities. Hopefully you can keep bigger clubs away from the core of your team and really push hard for automatic promotion next season :)

I hope so dude!

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, Preseason/August 2021 Review

New season and one I hope will push us on to promotion. After our cancelled facilites last two seasons, board won't let me attempt to try again. All I got from my various requests was an increase in your youth recruitment network and a relaid pitch. No loss in staff, but no increase as I'm over my quota. I was given the brief of a mid-table finish with a £34k wage budget and a £1.2m transfer budget. Let me repeat that. £1.2m. Wow.

----------------------------------------------------------

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 0 Nocerina (Coppa Italia Second Qualifying Round)

Marius Lupo scored the only goal of the game put us in the next round.

Santarcangelo Calcio 3 - 0 Varese (Coppa Italia Third Qualifying Round)

Amedeo Del Nevo gave us the lead and then put us 2-0 up with identical 18 yard blasts. Luca Buldrini then set the seal on this match with a looping header from a corner. Wesley Verbeek caught an injury during this match which left us with just two fit strikers from 7.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 2 Reggina (Lega Serie Bwin)

Our lack of strikers meant that we looked toothless and paid the price.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 0 Catania (Lega Serie Bwin)

Nothing. We can't hit the target to save our lives. Without Corallo, Verbeek or Vinci, we are useless.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

We got the three co-ownership deals back for free. The only other deals we made were 17 year old Belgian DM Çağatay Topraktepe for £500k from FC Brussels. You'd think I'd learned my lesson about signing stars of the Euro youth tournaments but no, here I am, signing the top rated player in recent U-19 Championship. Also coming in was experienced Italian MC Giovanni Cristofari on a free.

Outgoings were a little more. Experienced MC Nicola Del Pivo was amongst the casualties of expiring contracts. GK Giovanni Piazza was sold to Racing Santander for £100k + 50%, D/WBL Rocco Zoni went to C.D Alcalá for £100k also. Last January's other big arrival DC/DM/MC Yakubu Isaac was shipped out for £600k + 50% to Leixões and finally MC Lorenzo Degeri was sent to Stade Lavallois for £95k.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 2e Bologna (Lega Serie Bwin Playoff Final, Leg 2)

We were battered from minute 1. We held out until the 56th minute, when a misake by Luca Buldrini let in their striker. Full Time came and went and finally, in the 116th minute, a bullet header from a deep cross saw Bologna winners, 1-2 on aggregate and us looking at another broken season

I was so excited when I saw May's results, but then this...

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, September 2021 Review

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 0 Pescara (Lega Serie Bwin)

Ngh. Bloody team.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 3 Piacenza (Lega Serie Bwin)

We're bottom. Without a goal to our name.

Santarcangelo Calcio 3 - 0 Varese (Lega Serie Bwin)

Marius Lupo curled home a free-kick to give us our first goal of the season. That, added to Sebastian Mladen's header and Wesley Verbeek's placed shop, also gave us our first win of the season

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 0 Vicenza (Lega Serie Bwin)

Success begets success as an 18 yard strike from Giovanni Cristofari and a point-blank header from Marius Lupo gave us our second win on the trot..

-------------------------------------------------------------

[video=youtube_share;njOKrCshy88]

Archived