Calcio II: Catenaccio Reloaded

Deisler26

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, March 2018 Review

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 L'Aquila (Lega Pro Prima Divisione B)

Hello disappointment, my old friend...

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 1 Livorno (Lega Pro Prima Divisione B)

Sergio Corallo netted a late equaliser against the league leaders

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 Virtus Lanciano (Lega Pro Prima Divisione B)

6 points out of the playoff race now. Arsebiscuits.

Santarcangelo Calcio 4 - 0 Spezia (Lega Pro Prima Divisione B)

Wow. Marcello Ferrentino, a member of my much vaunted youth team, made his debut in this match in place of a much misfiring Juan Pastore and his debut was one to remember as he set up two goals of Gianluca Bacchiocci's hat-trick (the other being a free-kick) and provided the run which led to Sebastian Mladen's converted penalty

Santarcangelo Calcio 6 - 0 Ternana (Lega Pro Prima Divisione B)

Oh cruel fate, why do you play with me so? This win put us BACK in the playoff slots on goal difference. A penalty and header from Sebastian Mladen put us on our way. Young striker Emanuele Paramatti helped our 'misfiring' offence with his second goal in three games and also another Ferrentino set-up Gianluca Bacchiocci goal put us 4-0 up. The final icing on the cake was from Sergio Corallo and Kadir Caldi who netted late goals to top off a fantastic victory

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it's a real pain to get out of that level, but if anything's going to push you forward it's your youth setup. That keeper Doria is amazing! :eek: I haven't kept up lately so not sure where did he come from, but Sergio Corallo is a youth player too, right? Have you posted a screenie of him?

My previous adventures in the italian lower leagues haven't been anywhere near that difficult, but then I managed unusually big/rich clubs for the level (Venezia and Carrarese) and they still ran at big losses, so I imagine how tough it is to take on minnows with tons of debt...

Looks like it's a real pain to get out of that level, but if anything's going to push you forward it's your youth setup. That keeper Doria is amazing! :eek: I haven't kept up lately so not sure where did he come from, but Sergio Corallo is a youth player too, right? Have you posted a screenie of him?

My previous adventures in the italian lower leagues haven't been anywhere near that difficult, but then I managed unusually big/rich clubs for the level (Venezia and Carrarese) and they still ran at big losses, so I imagine how tough it is to take on minnows with tons of debt...

Yep, Sergio was an early youth player. And Doria was a prospect that came in last season.

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, April 2018 Review

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 1 Frosinone (Lega Pro Prima Divisione B)

A great comeback win against a promotion rival. We were outplayed thoroughly in the first 25 mins and went behind however, we caught them on the break 10 minutes later with a great breakaway finish from Sergio Corallo. Then my new go-to combo of Ferrentino passing to Gianluca Bacchiocci earned us the win.

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 0 Salerno (Lega Pro Prima Divisione B)

I almost give up with this team. Only saving grace is that we didn't lose any ground because of the draw.

Santarcangelo Calcio 4 - 1 Sorrento (Lega Pro Prima Divisione B)

A Sebastian Mladen penalty put us on the way, however they equalised with their first shot on 70 mins. Panic set in, before a breakaway double by Sergio Corallo and a 90th minute own-goal flattered us more than the scoreline suggested

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 0 Siracusa (Lega Pro Prima Divisione B)

Surely not?... Michael Abdul Razak's free-kick and Matteo Gandelli's header put us two points clear in 5th with two games to go...

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, May 2018 Review

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 1 Crotone (Lega Pro Prima Divisione B)

Why, oh why do we always go to pieces under pressure. An absolute bun fight in the box lead to Crotone's opener and dumped us out of the playoffs. But, as ever, our saviour, Sergio Corallo broke away to net the equaliser and see us into the final day with a chance..

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 2 Aversa Normanna (Lega Pro Prima Divisione B)

I. Give. Up. We were fighting a 4 way battle for two playoff slots with Crotone, L'Aquila and Cosenza..ALL within two points of each other. It was hairy. And we went down early on. Chance after chance was missed. Cosenza eventually lost 3-1 ruling them out. Crotone won, which gave them a spot and L'Aquilla were still drawing when the second AN goal went in on 80 minutes, putting us out in 6th place AGAIN on head-to-head results.

However, the 87th minute winner for Spezia against L'Aquila meant.... I'M IN THE PLAYOFFS, BABY!!

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, Postseason 2018 Review

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 2 Frosinone (Lega Pro Prima Divisione B Playoff Semi-Final, Leg 1)

Sergio Corallo saw us equalise late on in the first half after being dominated and behind in the first minute from an offside goal. However, they restored the only goal advantage minutes later and I went in at the break 1-2 down at home. However, Francesco Martino came out of his slump and poked home to give us a chance in the away leg.

Santarcangelo Calcio 1 - 2 Frosinone (Lega Pro Prima Divisione B Playoff Semi-Final, Leg 2)

We went 0-1 down inside a minute again. Although we pulled it back with a great Gianluca Bacchiocci free-kick on 10 mins, we just looked toothless. And it came back to haunt us on 63 mins as the midfielder, not usually known for his dribbling skills, dribbled through my entire defence and hit a weak shot into the net. Worse was to come when sub Juan Pastore brought down a Frosinone player in the box on 88 minutes. However, Miceli guessed right and saved the powerful shot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's it for another season. Another season of disappointment. We're good enough to be in the running, just not good enough to go up. A few departures will be happening in the offseason, along with the opening of the new stadium... *lone voice shouting 'Yay'...*

Bad luck losing in the playoffs. Given the way your seasons always seem to tail off do you think it could be something to do with a lack of rotation that nerfs you in the end? Or is it a plain and simple lack of depth?

Both! Also, I have to keep selling a lot of players and some tend to have one good season then be mediocre for the rest of the time.

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, Preseason/August 2018 Review

Time to pick ourselves up after another tough off-season. No staffing or retirement issues to deal with luckily, however we did finally open the white ele... new stadium. This was to be christened in our first competitive game. I took a chance and inquired for the works with the board. No investment in youth recruitment, junior coaching or training facilities was given, however I was allowed to build new youth training facilites. Shock horror. The brief was, as ever, to avoid relegation. And, as ever, our wage budget was £4k below the £13k I had accrued at £9k and we had £24k to spend. Surgery and selling seems to be the order of the day again.

-----------------------------------------------------

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 3 - 0 Mezzocorona (Coppa Italia, First Qualifying Round)

Our opening competitve game at our new stadium and Sergio Corallo christened it with the opening goal. Francesco Martino hit the second after coming on as a sub and late on, new signing Wesley Verbeek scored on his debut for the club..

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 1 Foggia (Coppa Italia, Second Qualifying Round)

We went 0-1 down early on, however we refused to give up and die and Sergio Corallo hit a double, including a late winner to send us through. This led to...

biggun2019.jpg

Santarcangelo Calcio 0 - 1 AS Roma (Coppa Italia, Third Qualifying Round)

We fought like lions in this match, even hitting the post with the keeper beaten, but in the end, we were beaten by a fizzing 30 yard angled daisy-cutter into the far corner. A goal to win any match!.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Transfers

The biggest transfer was ST Wesley Verbeek on a Bosman free from Heracles Almeo in Holland. I also picked up San Marinese MRC/AMC Michele Fiorino on free after being released by Serie A side Novara. I also picked up three reinforcements from parent club Parma on loan.

Outgoings were harsh. D/WBR Vicenzo Superbi went to Alto Adige for £10k + 10%; GK Federico Andreani went to Barletta for £10k + 10%; AMC Juan Pastore went for £7k + 10%, also to Barletta. Also leaving were last season's flop ST Michael Abdul Razak to Pisa for £16k + 10%. He really didn't live up to his promise, so him and his high wage had to go. The two that killed most, however, were GK Luigi Miceli to Cittadella for £60k + 50%. I need him, but the emergence of Doria means that I can sell him without fear. I hope. The second was AMRLC/ST Luca Onorato for £45k + 50% to Portimonese in Portugal. He was our all-time record goalscorer, but his play in the last two seasons has been abysmal and I can't afford for him to sit on the bench.

scudetto_santarcangelo.jpgSantarcangelo Calcio, September 2018 Review

Results

Santarcangelo Calcio 5 - 1 AlbinoLeffe (Lega Pro Prima Divisione A)

Yowsers. Welcome back to Serie C. We slaughtered the relegated side with a hat-trick from Sergio Corello and goals from Wesley Verbeek on his league debut and a Sebastian Mladen penalty settled it.

Santarcangelo Calcio 2 - 0 Taranto (Lega Pro Prima Divisione A)

Sergio Corallo netted his fourth and fifth in two matches to give us a great start to the season.

Santarcangelo Calcio 3 - 1 Monza (Lega Pro Prima Divisione A)

We again went down to a 25 yard howitzer. However, we had a lifeline when the Monza keeper was given a red card for handball. We then drew level thanks to Sergio Corallo's cool finish and took the lead to stay with Wesley Verbeek's double.

Santarcangelo Calcio 3 - 0 S.P.A.L (Lega Pro Prima Divisione A)

Sergio Corallo slotted home halfway through the first half to put us in the lead, then Wesley Verbeek hit a double to seal it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

A winning month, with 8 goals from Corallo and 4 from Verbeek saw us storm ahead in the league. BOTH our goals conceded were from 25-30 yards however.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

[video=youtube_share;vvkytGo1SH4]

[video=youtube_share;K6ySEZz9mYo]

Archived