[FM12]“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page”

roganp

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
England every time.
Been reading this today, a fine career you got going here. Sure do move around a lot though :D

Sounds incredible England sacked their manager after taking them into the World Cup final. But it means the job will come up again fairly soon. I'm sure you'll get another chance in 2 or four years, at which point you may well have left Russia anyway so it could be good timing. I would have stayed too for what it's worth.

The part in bold is ultimately why I decided against managing England at this stage. From the moment I accepted the Russia job I said to myself that I would stick with them until the end of the Euro's, regardless of what other national jobs were offered to me. It's always difficult to say no to your home country, but the fact that a manager was sacked after getting the country to a World Cup Final makes me very confident that the post will become vacant again in the near future. Probably after Euro 2024 if the new manager, Ronald Nilsson does not win it.

Great title win, that's a mighty impressive second half of the season and it looks thoroughly deserved. How is your squad coping with the homegrown rules? Better than Anzhi IRL? Good luck in the CL next year though, much-needed boost to the finances.

We're coping pretty well at the moment. My favoured first 11 consists of 6 foreign players(the limit), which will probably be reduced in the next few years as there are few players coming through the youth system who I feel will could become first team players. Namely Maxim Bychkov who is developing very nicely and showed in a number of League and European games last season that he is capable of making the big jump up from the under 19's. If he were to become a regular in the first 11, he would most likely play alongside Sergey Gordeev which would mean that we would have 2 youth products playing at centre back.

The bench is pretty much filled with all foreign players(bar 1 or 2 slots) but the majority of these players play in positions where I already a foreigner playing in the first team, so they just end up being direct replacements for them and therefore do not affect my quota of foreign players in the first team. I'm looking to invest in more Russian talent, but at the moment I'm finding it hard to find players who are good enough to come straight into our first team squad or if they are good enough, do not cost a ridiculous amount.

1529.png

Spartak Moscow - 2022/2023 Season Preview

Board Expectations

Prem'er Liga - Win it Media Prediction - 3rd

UEFA Champions League - Reach the Group Stage

Rambler Kubok Rossii - Not regarded as important

TransTeleKom Superkubok Rossii - Not regarded as important

Budgets

Transfer Budget - £11.75M

Wage Budget - £425K p/w

Current Wage Bill - £328,382K p/w

Transfers

Transfers Summary

Mountagha Bah(AMC/MC) - Decent signing on a free. Not likely to be a regular starter, but he should be a good option to have on the bench.

David Lourenco(CM) - I'm not particularly short of players in the middle of the park, but he's a player with good potential and was available for a free. If he doesn't quite reach his potential(3.5*) I can always sell him and make a profit.

Paul Meier(AML/ML/MC/AMC) - Not ready to feature in the first team just yet, but he has the potential to become a good player.

Champions League Group C

Real Madrid

Celtic

Spartak Moscow

Dinamo Bucharest

Looks a decent group on paper(apart from being drawn against Real Madrid, Obviously!) but it could prove to be very tricky. Celtic have won the SPL 5 times in a row now, so it should be a tough couple of games against them and Dinamo Bucharest are side not to be underestimated as they are the current holders of the Europa League and recently beat Lyon to win the UEFA Super Cup.

I've decided to put this save on hold for a while as after a playing Journeyman saves on the last 3 or 4 FM's, I want to give a one club save a go and I will probably try and complete the big Euro nation small club to big club challenge. Hopefully I can return to this save after completing the challenge. If I don't, I will probably start up a new save and thread in a few months time.

Thanks to everyone who has been reading and commenting on the thread up to this point :)

1529.png

Spartak Moscow - 2022/2023 Winter Break Update

Prem'er Liga

SOGAZPremerLigaOverview_Stages-5.png

We've picked up where we left last season and are currently on course to win another title. I'm delighted with the attractive brand of football we have been playing so far this season, hopefully we can continue to play with style in the second half of the season. With just 10 games left to play(11 for CSKA and Anji) I fully expect us to go on and secure our second successive league championship.

Superkubok - Winners

A game between the league winners(us) and on the previous cup winners(Zenit). It turn't out to be a very tight game which was decided by an own goal from a Zenit defender.

Kubok Rossii - Through to the Quarter Finals

We started our journey in this years cup with a 6th round away tie against 2nd tier Dinamo Bryansk - which we came through without any problems, winning the game 6-0. In the 7th round we were given a home draw against fellow Prem'er liga side Alania. This was a slightly more challenging game than the one against Dinamo Bryansk as Alania took the lead in 33rd minute. We managed to peg them back 5 minutes later and a further 3 goals was enough to book our place in the Quarters where will come against a side who were recently relegated from the top division, Volga NN.

UEFA Champions League - Through to the First Knockout Round

Our return to Champions League after being absent for a number of years got off to a disappointing start as we conceded in the 93rd minute against Real Madrid at home to lose the game 2-1. In the following game away to Celtic it looked like we were heading towards a 2nd defeat in the group as they led for much of the game after scoring in the 8th minute, but we managed to equalise in the 75th minute of the game to rescue a point, our first during the group stage.

We finally managed to put our first 3 points on the board on the 3rd matchday as we beat the whipping boys of the group Dinamo Bucharest 4-0 away. After winning emphatically in the return game against Dinamo Bucharest, 6-0 and losing 2-0 to Madrid at the Bernabue, we found ourselves needing to beat Celtic on the final matchday to stay in the competition. Thankfully, the team did not let me down as we ran out comfortable 2-0 winners to finish 2nd in the group ahead of Celtic.

An excellent first half to the season being top of the league and through in the CL. Good luck for the second half :thup:
Sitting pretty at the top. Good luck in the CL.
Couldn't have asked for a better first half of the season.Hope that form can carry on through the second half!

Thanks guys! :)

We've been drawn against Lyon, the holders in the First Knockout Round. The first leg is at home which is not great, but hopefully we can take a lead back to their place.

Also, this has just happened :

CliveHackettNews_Inbox-13.png

Now, I'm not totally gutted about the player leaving, despite him having a excellent season(8 goals, 6 assists in 17 appearances with an AVR of 7.51) as he was brought in on a free and was only a stand in for the injured Bilal Bafa. But what does obviously annoy me is the chairman selling players over my head. I can remember this happening to me once on my FM11 save and I quit the job immediately however, I won't be taking that course of action this time. Time to put everyone's asking price up I think.

Wow,I'd be gutted with a performance like that in the 2nd leg.Hope you gave your players the hair dryer treatment after the match!

Actually, I didn't. I was in such a hurry to get out of the match that I randomly clicked any team talk. It turns out I told the players there were some positives to take from the match :lol:

Good to see you back on this save :thup:

Don't know what to make of that Champions League collapse... Perhaps such extraordinary results for Lyon have been hard-coded into the game following their real life group stage thrashing of Dinamo Zagreb this season :p

1529.png

Spartak Moscow - 2022/2023 Season Review

Prem'er Liga - 1st

Similar to last season, we were formidable in the second half of the season, dropping just 2 points in our final 10 games. In fairness, our title run-in was probably a lot easier than our competitors as our toughest game was against Zenit at home, which we comfortably won 3-0. Still, we didn't show any signs of complacency and ended up winning the title by a massive 13 point margin to add a second Prem'er liga title to my trophy cabinet.

Superkubok - Winners

See this post for a round-up.

UEFA Champions League - Knocked out in the First Knockout Round

See this post for a round-up of the group stages. I don't think I need to go into what happened in the First Knockout Round again. The 2nd leg was definitely the most embarrassing defeat in my career to date.

Kubok Rossii - Winners

After defeating Alania in the 7th round, we were drawn against 2nd tier side Volga NN at home and as expected, we were completely dominant in the game and ran out 5-0 winners. We were given another home tie in the semi's against Prem'er Liga side, Amkar who knocked out CSKA on penalties in the previous round.

Two first half goals from Argentinian forward Fabian Insaurralde and Turkish playmaker Bilal Bafa put us in a comfortable position. Amkar did manage to pull a goal back on 83 minutes, but we held out to book our place in the final where we face another 2nd tier side, Tom who triumphed over Anji in the semi's, winning that game 2-1.

We controlled the game from start to finish, but struggled to break down Tom's defence. We finally broke the deadlock on 68 minutes through Andrey Kustov and a second swiftly followed on 74 minutes through Bilal Bafa to seemingly make the game safe. Tom did manage to score a consolation goal in the 90th minute, but there wasn't enough time for them to attack again and we lifted the trophy for the 4th time in the clubs history.

Match Overview

Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2

Squad

Transfers

Finances

Looking a lot better than at this stage last season. Champions League football was a massive boost.

Key Players

Juan Carlos Castillo(CB) - Another excellent season for the Honduras centre back. A pure beast.

Bilal Bafa(AMC) - Bafa's first full season at the club and what a fantastic one it was. He suffered torn knee ligaments in October which put him out of action for 2 months and that injury could have de-railed his season, but once he returned, he was excellent and scored crucial goals in the Semi finals and final of the cup.

Sergey Kokoev(AML) - The young winger continued to develop into a top class player this season. I'm not sure many full backs would like to come up against someone with his pace.

Scott Barnes(AMR) - Barnes missed much of last season due to a long term injury, but he managed to stay injury free this year and had a fantastic season, topping the league's assists table.

Takayuki Miyazaki(ST) - After being blighted by injury last season, I was delighted that Miyazaki was able to steer clear of injuries and proved what a top quality striker he is by comfortably finishing up as the league's top goalscorer.

Year       Team              Country    League                     Position   Important Notes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/2012 Boston United England Blue Square Bet North 14th Joined the club in March 2012
2012/2013 Boston United England Blue Square Bet North 2nd Playoff Semi-Finalists
2013/2014 Boston United England Blue Square Bet North 1st Promoted!, FA trophy Finalists
2014/2015 Boston United England Blue Square Bet Premier 15th FA Trophy Winners!
2015/2016 Boston United England Blue Square Bet Premier 1st Promoted as league champions, FA Trophy Winners
2016/2017 Ipswich Town England npower League One 1st Promoted as League Champions
2017 New York RB USA MLS 1st Joined 1.6.2017, MLS cup and Open Cup finalists, S Shield winners
2018/2019 Dundee United Scotland SPL 2nd Scottish Cup winners, Qualified for CL
2019/2020 Dundee United Scotland SPL N/A Left 3.1.2020 to join Sao Paulo
2020 Sao Paulo Brazil Brasileirao 1st League, State, Copa Sudamerica, Libertadores and CWC Champions
2020/2021 Spartak Moscow Russia Prem'er Liga 6th Joined 3.1.2021
2021/2022 Spartak Moscow Russia Prem'er Liga 1st League champions
2022/2023 Spartak Moscow Russia Prem'er Liga 1st League & Cup double, Superkubok winners[/Code]

[b][i]Next Season[/i][/b]

At the end of the season I decided that after winning 2 titles in row, I needed a fresh challenge. I handed in my resignation to the club and a few days later I received two offers from clubs in Serie A, one of which I accepted. I will reveal which club I have joined soon.

1140.png

2nd June 2023 - A New Chapter

1599-0.jpg

Stadium - Stadio Olimpico

Capacity - 73, 261 All-Seater

Job Offer

Società Sportiva Lazio, commonly referred to as Lazio, is a professional Italian football club based in Rome. The team, founded in 1900, play in the Serie A and have spent most of their history in the top tier of Italian football. Lazio have been Italian champions twice, and have won the Coppa Italia five times, the Supercoppa Italiana three times, and both the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup and UEFA Super Cup on one occasion. The club had their first major success in 1958, winning the league cup. In 1974 they won their first Serie A title. The past fifteen years have been the most successful period in Lazio’s history, capped by winning UEFA Cup Winners' Cup and UEFA Super Cup in 1999, the Serie A title in 2000, several league cups and reaching their first UEFA Cup final in 1998. Lazio's traditional kit colours are sky blue shirts and shorts with white socks. Their home is the 72,689 capacity Stadio Olimpico in Rome, which they share with A.S. Roma. Lazio have a long-standing rivalry with Roma, with whom they have contested the Derby della Capitale (in English "Derby of the capital" or Rome derby) since 1929.

Taken from Wikipedia

After deciding to end my reign as the Spartak Moscow manager, I was contacted by two clubs from Serie A about becoming their new coach - Lazio & Napoli. As you can see, I opted for the Biancocelesti and on the 2nd of June, I flew into Rome to seal the deal. The offer on the table is a 4 year contract and I fully intend to honour that.

The clubs finances do not look in great shape after years of heaving spending with only one Coppa Italia to show for it. The club also have a large loan repayment of £113M hanging over it's head, so I can't see there being much of an increase on the budget originally offered when the new season comes about, but as we have considerably under wage budget, I may be able to make some adjustments to give me more transfer funds.

LazioHistory_Competitions.png

Apart from finishing runners-up in the 2011/12 & 2012/13 season, the club have had a number of average league finishes and even flirted dangerously with relegation in the 2013/14 season.

Here are some of the players I've inherited from the previous manager :

Andrea Consigli(GK) - The veteran 'keeper has been the clubs number one for around 9 seasons now. I'm not sure he has the quality to continue being the clubs number one, so I may be looking for a new 'keeper in the upcoming transfer window.

Bakary Sanou(MR/AMR) - Sanou has struggled in Italy since his arrival 2 seasons ago for £3M. He has some decent attributes, but I can't see him being a regular starter.

Javier Barrientos(CB) - The clubs best centre back which is not saying much to be honest.

Nico Veldhuizen(ST/AML) - The clubs star player. He hasn't quite been able to light up the Stadio Olimpico since his arrival from PSV 3 seasons ago, with 15 being the most amount of goals he's managed in a season, but he has the quality to be a 20-30 goal a season striker.

Overall, the squad I have inherited is a pretty poor one and I expect there to be a lot of movement, ingoing and outgoing when the transfer window opens.

If you take out the spectacular collapse,it was a brilliant season.Can't wait to see where you end up next!
Shocking collapse there, but good luck in Italy. :thup:

And hope you get revenge on Lyon one day!

Ignoring the Lyon result, it was a great season, and a fine way to sign off at Spartak :thup:
Worse collapse than the English cricket team.

Superb domestically though.

Thanks guys!

I'm delighted I was able to leave Spartak on the back of 2 trophies, but I'm sure that result against Lyon will haunt me for a while. As rancer said, hopefully I can come up against them again one day and get my revenge ;)

I'm sure you are sick of hearing about it but I have to mention that Lyon debacle, one of the most amazing turnarounds i've ever seen on FM. Hopefully you can meet them again and dish out that revenge!

Still a really good last season with Spartak though and a great move to Italy, good luck with Lazio :thup:

Yay, Lazio!
Good luck in Italy.
That looks like a football pitch, I'm not to sure though. Maybe it's a running track round a field? Oh hang on, I brought the binoculars, yeah that's a football pitch.

Good luck in Italia! :thup:

Best of luck with Lazio :thup:
I'm sure you are sick of hearing about it but I have to mention that Lyon debacle, one of the most amazing turnarounds i've ever seen on FM. Hopefully you can meet them again and dish out that revenge!

Still a really good last season with Spartak though and a great move to Italy, good luck with Lazio :thup:

Cheers fellas :thup:

I'm really looking forward to this challenge. Hopefully over the next few seasons I can begin to move the club out of mid-table mediocrity and start building squad that can at least compete for the European qualification places. The board have given me a transfer budget of £4.4M for the new season, but I was able to adjust it to give me £12M and I've managed to get rid of most of the crap the previous manager left me, so I just need to get the scouts out looking for some bargains.

Well, he's a new player, but he's got the right name. Now you remember that, y'hear? ...Treat him like a lady, and he'll always bring you home.

I'm completely baffled by this :lol:

EDIT : A quick google search tells me it's from Star Trek, but I wouldn't know as I've never watched it :D

Archived