Here we go...

City2000

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fancy losing a league match. Tut tut. ;)

AZ have beaten me at their place two years in a row now, thought they were my new bogey team but we just got our revenge knocking them out of the cup on their own turf!

Brilliant season (and career) so far.

Thanks!

Walking it as usual :thup:. No one seems close to you although you're probably still in Schteve's shadow :D. Was that 10-0 win in the CL a record?

I probably am in his shadow still, especially now he's gone back there. I'm going to have to go and fail miserably at two other clubs before making a hero's return just to compete with his legacy :D

Sadly no record, I did check but Dinamo Bucharest beat Crusaders 11-0 back in the early 70's, gutted I was when I checked!

Champions League Update - First Knockout Round

bayerntwente.jpg

twentebayern.jpg

Fantastic result against a very strong Bayern, easily my best knockout stage result so far. We went into the first leg without our main man Mendy but our defensive strategy paid off as we carved out some great scoring chances on the break. Second leg we were a little more adventurous and this resulted in a shocking first 15 minutes where we were lucky to only be a goal down on the night, we quickly went to a more defensive strategy and again dominated the better scoring chances. Delighted to get through this one, a real big victory for us, just a shame it was only the Last 16.

Other Scores

clscores1.jpg

Quarter Final Draw

clqfdraw.jpg

Not the worst QF draw by any means although Spurs are the reigning Premier League Champions. However this year they found themselves in the bottom 3 after 11 games but have since risen to 7th. If we win against Spurs then either Arsenal or Leverkusen await in the semis.

Great result against a very good Bayern side, if Tottenham are anything like what they are in my game you'll have a real hard challenge on your hands.

Good luck :thup:

Thanks! Yes, Spurs have spent huge money on my save and have a great squad, will be tough for sure.

Thats a great result against the German giants - I see Man Utd absolutely decimated Juventus! How are those two teams doing?

Thanks, Man U have won the Premier League twice and the CL once and they are 10 points clear right now this year so another league title looks to be on the cards. Juve have been really dominant in Italy winning 5 of the last 6 Serie A titles but have generally struggled in Europe losing in their only CL final appearance to Spurs.

Nice results! Tottenham took out Barca ;) not bad.

Yes, they dominated Barca 20 shots to 4 in the first leg at home as well, hoping for a strong rearguard performance in the first leg.

Well done on knocking out Bayern and good luck against Spurs, should be a tough tie.

Thanks, it was indeed a tough tie.

Champions League Update - Quarter Final

spurstwente.jpg

twentespurs.jpg

I felt we put up a good fight but getting that crucial away goal in the first leg was just that little bit beyond us. We did defend well though in the first leg and I was happy enough to go into the second leg 1 goal down, second leg was a good performance as we dominated the game but once they scored their penalty it looked over.

It's a shame that I wasn't able to get past the CL Quarters with Twente during my reign here but now to just finish off the season, at least the domestic double is still on the cards.

Season 10

Season Review - 2020/21

twentebadge.jpg

For my last season in charge of Twente we managed to win the domestic double for the third time aswell as make a third successive Champions League Quarter Final. The highlights of the season were breaking three longstanding ajax records by getting 21 straight league wins, 94 points and 116 goals.

Fixtures

twentefix5.jpg

Final League Table

ere1g.jpg

Key Performers

Mansour Mendy - Fantastic 46 goal season from my main man.

Oumar Akovi - Great partner for Mendy adding 34 goals, a breakthrough season from Akovi.

Alex Chamberlain - For £2.2m Chamberlain was a great buy, his versatility being his best asset as he played both left and right during the season.

Career Overview

Season     Club               League                                      Position      Achievements

2011       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           5th           Took over on 6.7.11
2012       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           1st           League Champions, Promotion
2013       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan First Division                    7th           Left Club (didn't extend contract)
2014       Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Jupiler League                        14th          Took over on 26.2.14
2014-15    Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Jupiler League                        1st           League Champions, Promotion
2015-16    Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Eredivisie                            15th          Left Club after 6 games for FC Twente
2015-16    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            6th           Took over on 27.9.15
2016-17    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions
2017-18    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions, Dutch Cup Winners, UCL L16
2018-19    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions, UCL Quarter Finalists
2019-20    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions, Dutch Cup Winners, UCL Quarter Finalists
2020-21    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions, Dutch Cup Winners, UCL Quarter Finalists, Left Club (resigned)

International

Season            Nation                      Competition                     Position                 Achievements

2016              Ivory Coast u23's           Olympic Games                   First Round 
2018-2019         Turkey                      Euro 2020 Qualifiers            4th                      Sacked

iconz.jpg

A nice way to go out, reaching Iconic status at Twente.

Next

twenteresign.jpg

I have absolutely loved my nearly 6 years in charge of FC Twente but I feel it is the right time to look for a new challenge, It will be interesting to see what happens to Twente now and in particular whether they can keep their main stars and continue the success that I enjoyed there.

As for me i'm just waiting now for the offers to come in.

Unlucky on the CL again. Did well at Twente but looks the right time to move on. Looking forward to seeing where you turn up next
So unlucky on losing in the quarter finals but you did very well in your time in charge at Twente.Interesting to see where you end up next.
Wow, take a bow son.
Best of luck! Good offers should come your way soon.

Any remorse about rejecting Inter now?

Thanks guys :)

Possibly a little bit jayahr but I was keen to see out the season at Twente, the way I looked at it was there should be plenty of time for me to enjoy managing a big club during my career so was happy to give it one last push with Twente.

Looking forward to firing up FM soon and seeing where my future lies, I haven't really got any set ideas of where I would like to go although I think Italy and Spain will be top of my list.

Nice work mate. Looking forward to your next adventure :).

So far I have been linked with but ultimately rejected by Arsenal and PSG whilst I have turned down Newcastle and Monaco. Hoping to find a club soon as I am now entering July.

Managerial Update - A new Chapter

torinobadge1.jpg

I'm heading to Turin, after missing out on a few jobs and rejecting some others I was finally offered two jobs that interested me, both in Italy. The first was from Udinese which I was considering until Torino came along and persuaded me to join them, they have just qualified for the Europa League after winning the TIM Cup last season which incidentally was their first trophy won in 20 years since they won Serie B. Recent history has them finishing between 6th and 15th in the last 7 seasons of Serie A football.

Torino have offered me a three year contract, a war chest of £19m and £200k room to work with in the current £850k wage budget. I took this job over some others mainly because I liked the look of the squad which has some good players in the key areas that I will need for my 4-1-2-1-2 formation. I also didn't really want to take charge of a "big club" at this stage and Torino gives me the perfect opportunity to hopefully build this club into Serie A title challengers over the next three years and beyond.

The Squad

torinosquad.jpg

Team Report

torinoreport.jpg

Recent History

torinohistory.jpg

Key Players

Martins - Looks to be my key man, signed for £1.6m six years ago from Lyon his value has since skyrocketed. Hoping he will get the bulk of my goals.

Hernan Daniel Barreiro - Signed for over £9m from Fiorentina last year he will be my starting left back.

Zahi Ben-Lulu - One thing this team certainly has is good full backs, a £1.4m signing from Israel a couple of years ago, my starting right back.

Reagan Mthembu - A nice South African right winger, was on the verge of joining Everton for £9m before I took over.

Fabio Mena - Quality Columbian DMC signed for £3.1m from San Lorenzo two years ago.

Michele Marconi - My veteran presence in this squad, at 32 Marconi still has enough about him to partner Martins in attack.

Next

The job on now is to fill the gaps in the squad. I will be looking to continue using my 4-1-2-1-2 that worked so well in Holland and for that I will need a new playmaking AMC. Aswell as the AMC this squad is lacking quality in goal and at centre half so a minimum of four players will be needed. If possible I would like to add another striker to compete with both Martins and Marconi aswell. There will also be a few players shipped out i'm sure.

Pastures new...probably right too after the legacy you've created at Twente (although still no comparison to Schteve ;)). Torino are definitely a giant in the making. Do you still share the ground with Juve?

Interesting move to go for building a team rather than take one of the big offers :thup: Martins looks very good, still quite young too so could have a few years out of him. GL

Yes, I didn't fancy going the big team route just yet and I think Torino can give me what I need to build the club up. Martins looks our stand out player for sure, my only concern is that after 6 years at the club he may look to move on sooner rather than later.

Torino eh. Can you make big a team that perhaps should be?

Thats the challenge, i've always thought of Torino like that, a club that should be better than they are.

Should be a good challenge.

It sure should be, hopefully I can get off to a good start.

Good performance in the CL. It's hard to win when you're not from a "big" league.

Good luck in Torino. It will be nice with a change of scenery, I'm sure.

Thanks. Looking forward to it.

Nice way to step down as FC Twente boss, you going to do a Steve McClaren at some point? :D

Deisler wont be happy about you taking over Torino, but good luck!

:D You never know, the returning hero role does appeal!

Probably the right time to leave Twente. Good luck in Italy

Thanks!

Pastures new...probably right too after the legacy you've created at Twente (although still no comparison to Schteve ;)). Torino are definitely a giant in the making. Do you still share the ground with Juve?

Thanks. No, Juve have got a nice 50000 "Juventus Stadium" while we rent the 27994 "Olimpico".

Good luck at Torino

Thanks!

all the best in Italy mate

Thanks!

Good luck with Torino. Should have a chance of breaking into the top four after a season or two

Thanks, thats the plan and I think the ingrediants are there.

They look like a good, solid team, although I am wondering how Mendy would do in the Serie A! Any thoughts on bringing him over?

What strikes about this team is that it seems solid all over, but there isnt that one player that really grabs you.

Great read, this thread, you did really well at Twente, looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Thanks Dejay. nice to hear that you have enjoyed reading this thread :)

They look like a good, solid team, although I am wondering how Mendy would do in the Serie A! Any thoughts on bringing him over?

What strikes about this team is that it seems solid all over, but there isnt that one player that really grabs you.

I would love to bring Mendy over but he has no interest in coming here whatsoever, can't blame him as he should be playing Champions League footie every season now. His value has risen to £11.25m and I put a £39.5m release fee in his contract so if Twente do sell him then hopefully they will get big, big money for him. A few clubs are looking at him so he may be on his way soon.

That's a fair point and one of the main reasons why I came here, a well rounded squad that with a few key additions could do really well.

Former Club Watch

twentetransfers.jpg

Can't say i'm thrilled about this, i've been gone 5 minutes and the new Twente manager Roberto Donadoni has decimated the squad by selling 5 key players and 2 hot prospects aswell as bringing in a bunch of average players. Looks like their days of total domination will soon be a thing of the past. The only positive is they haven't sold either Mendy or the keeper yet.

jevnaker21.jpg

fortuna21.jpg

Not a great year for Jevnaker who just missed out on promotion on goal difference a year earlier.

Much better from Fortuna who after two years of relative struggle they come back for a strong 6th place finish, they just missed out on a Europa League spot after losing the playoff to Ajax.

Roberto Donadoni has been doing a great job in my save, leading Malaga to the Champions League the past 3 years without too much being spent on the transfer market. He's made some really good acquisitions, and his squad is pretty much the third best team in Spain!

Can't believe they accepted £10m for Akovi! Bad management and I think their CL days are numbered, probably going to be more regular in the Europa League.
Roberto Donadoni has been doing a great job in my save, leading Malaga to the Champions League the past 3 years without too much being spent on the transfer market. He's made some really good acquisitions, and his squad is pretty much the third best team in Spain!

The Akovi deal is baffling to me, infact most of the sales are as none of these players had min fee release clauses. One point of interest is that my two main centre halves over the last 4/5 years in Diaby and Wanjohl are now linking up again at Lyon, will be interesting to see how they get on there.

I hope Roberto knows what he's doing and uses some of that Malaga magic at Twente!

Around the World Update - 10 Years in

Seeing as we are 10 years into this career I thought it would be nice to roundup what has happened in my game world so far.

World Cup

2014: Holland

2018: France

European Championship

2012: Portugal

2016: France

2020: Holland

Copa America

2019: Argentina

2015: Argentina

Cup of Nations

2012: Senegal

2013: Ivory Coast

2015: Ivory coast

2017: South Africa

2019: Burkino Faso

2021: DR Congo

UEFA Champions League

Barcelona x2

Marseille x2

Real Madrid

Man Utd

Spurs

FC Bayern

Chelsea

Leverkusen

UEFA Europa League

Spurs x2

CSKA Moscow X2

Chelsea

Man City

PSG

Valencia

Leverkusen

Sampdoria

Barclays Premier League

Man Utd x4

Spurs x2

Man City x2

Chelsea

Arsenal

Liga BBVA

Barcelona x6

Real Madrid x4

Serie A

Juventus x5

Ac Milan x2

Sampdoria x2

Napoli

Bundesliga

FC Bayern x4

Leverkusen x2

Wolfsburg x2

Werder Bremen

Schalke

Ligue 1

Lyon x5

Marseille x4

PSG

Eredivisie

FC Twente x5 :D

Vitesse x3

PSV x2

Liga ZON SAGRES

Porto x4

Benfica x2

Sporting x2

Braga x2

SPL

Celtic x7

Rangers x2

Hearts

Jupiler Pro League

Anderlecht x6

Standard x2

Club Brugge

Genk

SOGAZ Prem'er Liga

CSKA Moscow x5

Lokomotiv Moscow x3

Anji x2

Spor Toto Super Lig

Galatasary x5

Trabzonspor x2

Besiktas x2

Fenerbache

Brasileiro da Serie A

Corinthians x4

Vasco

Santos

Botafogo

Internacional

Cruzeiro

Copa Libertadores

Monterray x2

Sao Paulo

Santos x2

Independiente

Cruzeiro

Chivas

MLS

LA x3

San Jose x3

Toronto

New York

Chicago

Season 11

Pre Season Update - 2021/22

torinobadge1.jpg

Board Expectations

Serie A - Respectable League Position

Europa League - Reach the Group Stage of the Europa League

TIM Cup - Reach the First Round of the TIM Cup

Supercoppa - Not Important

My Expectations

Serie A- Europa League Spot (top 6) would be nice

Europa League - Certainly to get past the group stage and then see how far we can go, I would like to think we can go quite far

TIM Cup - Were the holders but will be tough to retain, I'd be happy with the Quarters

Supercoppa - Vs Sampdoria, would be nice to win a trophy

Budgets

Transfer Buget - £19m

Wage Budget - £850k - Currently spending £650k

Transfers

torinotransfers.jpg

I wasn't quite able to find all the players I wanted but i'm pretty pleased with my transfer window dealings. Out of the players who left only Lukas Vit was going to be a starter, on the left wing but I was atleast able to get good money and a replacement for much cheaper. One issue with Serie A is that you can only sign 2 Non EU players from abroad each season, won't be a hassle hopefully when the club gets bigger but for now it is a slight pain as attracting those players is much easier than EU players right now. In an ideal world I would have brought in another quality centre half and playmaking AMC but that will have to wait for now.

Key Players In

Iban Galan - £4.6m from Rayo - Just wanted to add another striker to compete with my current front two, looks a nice poacher.

Rachid Zerrouki - £3.2m from Apollon - Needed a new keeper and this guy fits the bill, my scouts rated him very highly so hopefully he will live up to the billing.

Mansour Dieng - £3.1m from Genoa - One half of new centre back duo, looks a good deal.

Marcel Bayiha - £2.4m from Twente - For my other centre back I have gone back and raided my old club, although he wasnt my first choice he was available at a good price. Only started 22 league games in 3 years for me at Twente but has develpoed nicely enough to battle it out with the other centre halves already at the club.

Moussa Kone - £1.5m from Feyenoord - I wasn't planning on bringing a new left winger into the club until my original left winger Lukas Vit rocked me with a transfer request. I knew Moussa had a £1.5m foreign club release fee from my time in holland so I went straight for Kone once Vit moved on.

Emanuel Nikolaou - Free - My new AMC although I am still looking to see if I can find another playmaker aswell but on a free was a deal too good to turn down. I may not be able to bring in another AMC that I want until next summer due to the Serie A foreign transfer restrictions so hopefully he will do a good job.

Starting XI and Tactics

torinnoxi.jpg

torinoreport1.jpg

Next

I'm hoping for a good season pushing towards the top 6 and the latter stages of the Europa League but at this stage it's all about building the club up.

Galan looks a good signing, good luck !

Thanks! Yes, I like him. Had to fight off a few other clubs for him aswell. I expect him to start the season on the bench but wouldn't be surprised to see him starting sooner rather than later.

A lot of changes in the market, always spices things up a bit.

Sure does, I had to bring in these players to fill out the holes in the squad. There probably would have been more changes if it wasn't for the foreign transfer restrictions in place.

Good luck for the new season :thup:

Thanks!

Kone is a bargain, some good signings made there. GL mate

Thanks, I was delighted to see his £1.5 min fee release clause still in effect when I went after him, should be a regular out on that left wing.

GL Mate! Hope its a successful season!

Thanks, lets hope so!

Archived