Small, otherwise insignificant things which annoy you

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still playing '11 (nothing against buying 12, I'm just still enjoying my long term game so there's little point in me moving on quite yet), so I'm getting the classic "<opposition manager> thinks my team would do better is they stopped passing around and tried to score" immediately after we clinched the league title by beating them 5-0...:p

This may have been sorted in FM12, which I've yet to play (though I doubt it as I'm probably the only person this annoys), but the way AI players change squad numbers all the time annoys me for some reason. In real life most players do not change number if they stay at the same club for many seasons (i.e. John Terry, Ledley King, Paul Scholes, Frank Lampard etc), yet in FM when a play joins a new club he'll pretty much change number every season. This obviously doesn't put me off playing as it's only a cosmetic issue but I'd have thought Si could have sorted it by now (especially as it wasn't an issue pre FM09 when players would generally keep their number).

Player X has picked up an injury, would you like to keep him on or make a quick sub?

Keep him on.

Cut to tactics screen because the player can't stay on.

Player X has made remarkable progress in training lately.

Check player profile.

Red arrows everywhere.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen one of my players miss when they've been flagged offside.

Players taking up attacking positions for a throw-in when possession will be given straight back to the opposition after they kicked the ball out to allow a player to receive treatment.

When the ball misses target, hits advertising boards and bounces back through the net!

The GK then goes and gets the ball which is now back on pitch to take goal kick.

Yes! I can add more to this - home game, you need a result, playing "overload", ball goes for out/touch/etc and doesn't come back quickly. Player chases forever. Given that it's a home game, there should be home kids that chase the balls or have a ball ready and act quickly!! So annoying...

Watching a player wander sloooooowly across to the referee, accept the telling off, then walk away before he receives the yellow card. Dissent methinks.

Player injured. The key highlight appears to be spending two minutes watching the physio dolly-step across the park to kneel at his side for a bit, then watching them walk off taking an age. Whoo, exciting.

In fact, to be honest, press conferences in general are beyond woeful. If they were bad, then they'd be acceptable. They are actually so bad they spoil my enjoyment of the game.

The person who designed the interface clearly plays a foot in front of a 640x480 50" TV with a magnifying glass. Some of the buttons and text are microscopic.

Set your tactics to "work ball into the box, never take a long shot ever". Sit back and enjoy as your 5 for long shots midfielder pumps it over the bar/into the crowd/out for a corner.

Promised a guy more first team football and haven't got a game for a fortnight? He'll be demanding a transfer because you didn't play him in a game that doesn't exist.

etc

Can't agree more!! To add to the last one, you promise the guy more football, and you mean it, he gets injured, the moment he comes back, he's fuming that he hasn't played...

Couple of things from my current game which are annoying me:

1) I play 4-2-3-1A formation however I have a better AML than AMR so I switched which wing is further forward from the default right to the left. Why does the game now think this is 4-4-2 not 4-2-3-1A? It's exactly the same formation but mirrored.

2) Player is upset because I told him he could move at the end of the season and he wasn't sold, several other players upset I don't keep my promises. I offered him out for £0, it's not my fault no-one wants him!

The game crashing just before autosave and you end up having to replay 3 games that you somehow managed to win the first time around. Star striker getting injured with the first press of continue when replaying and the entire season go to hell and you drop from play off spot to just above relegation.

repeatadly click the mouse button when the opponent is through on goal to try and distract him from scoring.

I sometimes try to use the mouse cursor to push my defenders in the right direction to shut down space players are obviously going to run into.

Never works.

got a new one...

"The board is slightly disapointed with the purchase of <player name>" (loosely translated, I'm playing danish language so am thinking what it prob translates to).

Anyways, getting the above message when the player they mention is one I got on a free loan from a parent club...

Not to mention it's a guy that acts as my backup keeper and haven't seen much action because my regular keeper is fit for fight.

What is there to be disapointed in for them??? I don't get it...

Dumb players. (FM11)

I had 2 players come to me and kick up a stink about not being in the side, wanting a transfer.

So, in the awful player chat thing, I advised both of them I'd gladly place them on the transfer list at the end of the season. Which they said thanks, and it made them happy.

Then, at the end of the season I placed them both on the transfer list. Which caused both of them to get seriously angry at me, as they wanted to stay at the club and accused me of trying to force them out!!!!!

And no clubs now want to buy them, even for free - despite both being international players (England and Serbia).

Player requests "I want to move"

ok: "I'll let you go in the next transfer window"

Warning 3 months later from Assman: "Player x is worried that you've broken a promise to him"

No i've not - I've said you can go, i've offered you to clubs, and offered mutual termination, and nobody wants you - you have an agent - sort it yourself, its not my problem pal!

haha! comedy, why is this not an option in the private chats :)

the commentary annoyances are easily sorted I think, it used to be a .txt file you could edit (not checked it recently), now these have been brought up they are suddenly irritating me too :)

1/ not being able to offer a player X amount in wages as long as its withing my wage budget.

2/ Pre Match overall team talks having no/little effect - always having to do positional team talks for DEf/Mid/Attack - youhave what it takes blah blah...*delighted*

Its becoming really tedious

just come across this and its rather annoying, my reserves played a friendly against Wolves first team, and then when they got spanked 4-0 the news item says "man utd reserves were never in the fight as they were outclassed by the supposed lesser lights of Wolves" .. .. ... now, hang on a second, my reserves aint that good! i mean really are they a higher rep team than wolves???

"The Referee waves away the protest" is very annoying when a penalty is given fro handball when your player kicks it off the line, and when "the players surround the referee" well actually they are not, there's one player stood a good few yards away!

The referee gives a foul. He's miles from the challenge. You know it's going to be a yellow because the player and the ref start to move towards one another. You go to make a brew. You have a wee. You knock up an omelette. You eat the omelette and drink the brew. Book a last minute easyJey flight to Crete. Come back two weeks later with suburn. Load your photos to Facebook. Have a kip. Wake up and go for a walk to blow away the cobwebs. Sort your clothes out for work. Head to bed. Get up the next day. Shower, shave, brekkie. Head off to Carlisle for week-long team building exercise. Arrive home a week later. The player and the ref have met in the middle. Yellow card. Continue with the match.

"Even his manager has got his head in his hands"

Errm no he hasn`t. He has got a cup of coffee in one and a computer mouse in the other. Besides it wasn`t that bad an effort anyway.

My defender, with ball, in front of attacking player goes down to a tackle from behind. Thats a free kick to the attacker then for the challenge on him. WTF ?

94th minute of the game, we're one goal up, team instructions are set to defensive, with time wasting at the max. We have a corner. What happens?

Yeah, you guessed it, everyone comes forward, the taker whips it in, it's headed out and their four forwards are up against the two players who stayed back as cover. And they equalise. When was the last time anyone saw a real football game when in the 94th minute the team with a one goal lead did not start fannying around at the corner flag?

My throw ins being casually thrown to one of their players standing in acres of space

The ball just bouncing off my unsuspecting player's back or heel or arse

Two players sprinting for the ball. My player is blatantly getting there well before the other guy until he slows down as if he's pulled a hammy or hit a bit of quick sand.

Played for a few hours, and already there are several things that annoy me:

1. FM Help

- Window is not resizable

- Search only functions on complete match of words. Searching for 'tutor' gives no results, while 'tutoring' gives two results

- Using my mouse's back-button in the window, also goes back one page in the game

- No way of going back to search results page. You have to do a search after you open one of the search results

2. Tactics UI

- First time I wanted to use a backup tactics, I selected it by marking it, set the team, and pressed 'Submit team'. Then my team was set in the Starting Tactic. Why do I need to move the tactics between starting and backup?? .. just use the one marked when I submit the team. Then I don't have to remember to move them up and down every time.

- Complete and utter waste of real-estate by having the Substitutes list on the right. There is no info there, that I can't see in the Squad view in the middle.

3. Attributes page

- Portrait box can't show bottom line in windowed mode, no matter how I resize the window. So there is an annoying scroll-bar just for one line.

4. Profile page

- Four identical boxes (Attributes/Position/Achievements). Since each can only contain one of these three types of information, you will end up with a duplicate.

5. Positions

- I have this exact information on 3 different pages. Why? ... it is on the Attributes page (can't be removed). I have it on Profile page (can be removed, if I am willing to have two boxes each with Attributes and Achievements) and I have it on Positions page.

6. Moving between squads

- If I have the Fixtures list open on Senior Squad, and switch to U18, why not stay on that page?

7. Arranging friendlies for Reserves/U18 (and somewhat also for Senior squad)

- Impossible to see in list which ones are willing to travel to your home ground. You can only see this once they are selected. I can use one of the pre-selected teams in the list, sorted by reputation, but that will just arrange a match against the senior team, even when used for the Reserves or U18. So I will have to use that (when unfamiliar with what local clubs are near the team I manage), then select 'Choose Other', find one of those teams, and then select their Reserves or Youth squads for a friendly.

8. Players view

- Information box for each player (the little 'i' icon next to the name) doesn't show preferred foot.

9. Tutoring

- My petpeeve. It seems to have changed yet again (at least the options), and still absolutely NO documentation on this feature, which is rather important for talent development. I guess we will have to reverse-engineer the feature once again this year .... thanks SI!

That was just a bit of random annoyances I have found in my first 3-4 hours of playing.

I make 2-3 subsitutions in game, just after a player has been injured and have everything sorted and the game goes back to the pitch. The game then suddenly decides that the player isn't fit enough to carry on so he has to be substituted, so I have to do all my substitutions and team talks again. For exactly the same substitutions. :(

Did you ever see Andy Cole play?

Actually reminds me of me watching a Man Utd game on tv:

Me: "He's through!"

My father, in the kitchen: "HE IS? WHO IS?"

Me: "Cole (Andy)!"

Father: "Ah...never mind, then. He won't score. It's 1-vs-1. Let me know when there's a real threat"

He was right, he didn't :D

Sorry...very off topic here.

I've been playing for a few (successful) seasons now, and thus I applied to manage Brazil. They laugh at my application, and...give the job to some completely unknown stranger who has horrible attributes and no prior experience whatsoever! WTF, FM? o____O

My assistant manager: "Don't forget you've promised Giorgos Ioannidis you'll find him a new club during this transfer window".

Me, sitting here rolling my eyes: "Yeah, thanks genius. I suspect Mr. Ioannidis won't be holding me to it seeing as he's signed a pre-contract agreement for a move next summer. But thanks for the totally useless reminder."

94th minute of the game, we're one goal up, team instructions are set to defensive, with time wasting at the max. We have a corner. What happens?

Yeah, you guessed it, everyone comes forward, the taker whips it in, it's headed out and their four forwards are up against the two players who stayed back as cover. And they equalise. When was the last time anyone saw a real football game when in the 94th minute the team with a one goal lead did not start fannying around at the corner flag?

I find it is usually headed out to their one striker, while the four players I've set to stay back are all just having a casual chat and not paying attention to where the ball or single opposition attacking player is.

This is fairly consistent throughout the game though, not just when defending a lead.

Oh yeah, another one. When I have a meeting with my staff, without fail someone will pipe up with "I think [insert goalkeeper]'s game would be improved if he tried to avoid use of his weaker foot". Almost every time.

Given being able to use both feet is critical for keepers at all levels, I find this ridiculous.

Oh yeah, another one. When I have a meeting with my staff, without fail someone will pipe up with "I think [insert goalkeeper]'s game would be improved if he tried to avoid use of his weaker foot". Almost every time.

Given being able to use both feet is critical for keepers at all levels, I find this ridiculous.

Would you rather a keeper used his weaker foot and made a mistake, or used his better foot and kicked the ball better/further?

Would you rather a keeper used his weaker foot and made a mistake, or used his better foot and kicked the ball better/further?

I'd rather have my GK try with his weak foot than losing the ball while trying to shift it to his strong foot.

I'd rather the keeper learned how to use his weaker foot. Mistakes are a part of the learning process. Besides, when a keeper is closed down on his stronger side he's just as likely to c*ck up trying to play himself out of trouble.

It's ridiculous that you can't train players to become stronger with their weaker foot in FM. In FM you tell a coach to teach players how to avoid going to their weaker side. In reality you tell the coach to introduce a training drill where the player will get kicked in the nuts every time he touches the ball with his preferred foot.

Any good keeper should be able to use both feet purely because he needs to be prepared for whatever angle/side a back pass may come in on. Of course he's going to use his stronger foot when he has time on the ball, but to ask a keeper to not use his weaker foot is ludicrous.

Any good keeper should be able to use both feet purely because he needs to be prepared for whatever angle/side a back pass may come in on. Of course he's going to use his stronger foot when he has time on the ball, but to ask a keeper to not use his weaker foot is ludicrous.

Or any player actually for that matter. Not using their weaker foot is a natural insinct for one-footed players. It's something you coach out of players, not the other way around.

I'm getting annoyed with contract negotiations.

For some reasons, new players just keep wanting more and more money when signing, regardless of how interested they are in my club, and regardless of how unemplyed they are at the moment.

I had a far easier time keeping wages in check in fm2010 than I do in fm2012.

Also, when negotiating contracts, not being able to lock 'out' certain clauses is just plain annoying.

-Agent adds certain clauses you just do not want ever in a contract.

-You remove those clauses and try and tinker with something else.

-Agent adds certain clauses you just do not want ever in a contract.

-You remove those clauses and try and tinker with something else.

REPEAT AD NAUSEUM.

Just let me lock the frigging clauses OUT so I don't have to remove them every single pass -.-

yes i got that as well, against stoke, rooney lobs the keeper, hits shawcross on the goal line, it counts as Own goal, and that would have been goal of the month :(

transfers, no team seems to wants to sell, and teams offering players you either can't afford (kaka is offered to me for 18 million,... cant afford the contract) or just rubbish.

inconistancy i have 2 saves. as man utd. 1 as bury, as bury i offer 10k for rhodes at huddersfield, it gets accepted (couldn't afford contract) offer 1 mill as man utd, it doesnt get accepted.

knocking players over... when they are stood up :/

and this on bury one, comes to out of contract time, 6 first team (for a few seasons) players want insane unaffordable payrises.

board saying x player is too ambitious.... when you are man utd, steven gerrard is too ambitious? really?

defenders scoring a mass of goals

incendtly i bought rory delap for man utd for 500k, board were pleased with that purchase (so was i, was scoring loads with vidic from corners so i wanted long throws lol)

not being able to set up delap to throw from both sides

being told to drop your keeper for underperfoming.... when you only have 1 (why do bury have ONE keeper?)

being told that work permits are difficult and if you buy this player to loan them out..... when they play in the united kingdom.

Archived