Small, otherwise insignificant things which annoy you

Complacency? Might be worth having a look at ass man instructions before a game against smaller opposition and adjusting your team talks for any player who seems complacent.

I've always felt that the effect of complacency has always been exaggerated in this game. There are games I sit there thinking to myself 'Messi doesn't miss this much when he's drunk'.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly when I find an absolute gun newgen and the players agent refuses to negotiate a contract.

Secondly, when managing a club, and we are set to move to a much much bigger stadium, yet it gets postponed by 12 months, time and time again.

Thoughts ?

And for other people, name 2 things that really get you mad in FM12 ...

Don't get me wrong, I love Football Manager 12, and all past versions. :thup:

crosses into the box never go to the mans head. Every goal from a cross is a volley or a tap in :(. as such, my 194cm tall striker, with 17 heading and 14 jumping, hasnt scored a single header despite having two wingers crossing often, aiming at the target man in the middle which is my striker, (one of the wingers has 13 crossing as well) he hasnt scored a single headed goal. This isnt because he's missing the headers, its because the the ball never comes in high enough!

wow done the match again, back to the usual rubbish away form where players turn to drunken stickmen.

all the decent newgens are spawning in dumb places, i got a 200 pa from belarus and found a 199 in egypt. and a bunch of other fantatic defenders... in thailand, japan, nigeria, uSA, all unsignable to work permit issues and they never get called up.

I've always felt that the effect of complacency has always been exaggerated in this game. There are games I sit there thinking to myself 'Messi doesn't miss this much when he's drunk'.

I'd agree with that tbh. There are a lot of games where i find my players becoming complacent.

I can understand it happening a number of times throughout the season if you're a big team but for players who are supposed to be highly professional and determined complacency feels far too common.

Kieron Dyer, back in the day, the only player to score with a broken foot in the english premier league

Didn't Cesc Fàbregas score a penalty against Aston Villa with a fractured leg last season? Or did it occur as he scored?

The one little thing that annoys me is when the game says something along the lines of "Portsmouth have been the most prolific team in the transfer market bringing in an incredible 11 players", when in fact you've brought in 2 first teamers and 9 youngsters for the U18s.

It makes me worry that the game will think my first team has suffered a massive turnaround of players and punish me with disjointed performances.

The sheer stupidity of AI Clubs. I have just had a screenshot. "SAMIR NASRI PUTS PEN TO PAPER ON LUCRATIVE 2 YEAR DEAL WORTH £11,000,000."

He has been on loan with my West Ham side for 3 years!! Hasn't kicked a ball for Man City in all that time and they give him a new 2 year deal. Bizarre...

I'm managing Anzhi Makhachkala, who play in a relatively small, open stadium. Now I know that SI don't have the rights to reproduce stadiums in the game as they appear in real life, and I actually feel that the Anzhi stadium looks quite realistic in-game anyway. But what annoys me is what I see outside the stadium - a row of posh-looking terraced housing like you'd see in a middle-class area of London! This is Makhachkala, Dagestan! I know you don't know exactly what it's like outside each and every stadium, but don't stick a load of quintessentially English housing outside a Dagestani football stadium. I'd prefer some kind of generic wasteground.

Love the game but still several annoying things....

> Player Histories!!!

> Conference Question..." You've had a bit of a break..." er no; its been internationals and 95% of my squad has been away so hardly a rest for them!

> Manager rotation - manager sacked at spurs, replaced with fulham manager for spurs manager to take the fulham role. Maybe once in a blue moon this happens

> I'll echo the fans thinking the sale of a crap youth player for most of a season. He was poor and wouldn't have made cup appearances so get over it

> Hall of Fame not including ALL trophies. Even if the lague cup is a minor competition INCLUDE IT, what about the Club World Championship.... surely they all generate points!

> I'll echo those who have said about contract offers - SI simply have to include the ability for managers to say - I HAVE, you/your agent turned it down. I occasionally see that a player sacks an agent after the break down in contract talks but managers need to be able to say "I matched all of your demands, wages etc but your agent wants 10m I'm sorry but no... you can either get him to renegotiate or sit on your current deal!"

> The media not learning as the game goes on. Known for attacking play at your previous team you take control of another only to be asked what type of football, what type of manager, transfer targets etc. At least evolve and ask if the circumstances of the new club will dictate a change in your personal style i.e. for the remainder of the season we just have to win no matter what but in the longer term... or the club needs experience but I'll be looking to youth once the ship has been steadied

Players doing a Usain Bolt superman when celebrating a gaol, I'm sure someone in SI towers had a right giggle when they first saw it but 20 seasons later it is now more annoying than players 'rocking the baby'.

The way long throws are represented in an attacking sense. Every player stays behind the ball and waits for it to drop, meaning it usually ends up at an attacking player's feet only a few yards from goal. Players never try to get in front to win the header, and it's yet another example of the defensive deficiencies in the 3D.

Long throws in real life are generally like another cross, where the game treats them like a long ball to feet.

• 2 weeks later...

mine are

keeper wandering to wherever the free kick is to be taken from , then back to his goal or behind it to get the ball .

sent off player going and sitting on the subs bench

striker clean through on goal turning and passing back to a midfielder, or with a clear shot at goal in the penalty area passing the ball instead

• 1 month later...

Why does the ball go through to the roof of the net when it comes from over (e.g missed lob). If side-netting is possible, top-netting is possible too. Tbh this is not so small and insignificant for me and it's really annoying.

Agent/club spam. No, I won't buy that Japanese dude for my all-German team, especially when you're offering him for 2x his value and asking millions for agent fees.

The quantity of yellow cards. Makes me shake each match as my top striker going down would mean a major blow. Cmon dudes, this is soccer - it's brutal.

• 2 weeks later...

Player Search:

Asking my AssMan to filter out unrealistic targets, and then showing a whole host of Player/managers or Player/Coaches that I cannot sign. Please filter these out too, as I would deem them unrealistic too.

Match Ratings on Player stat screen:

This just shows bars, but you cannot read the exact rating for each match. There is no tool-tip on mouseover. That makes it more or less useless except as a quick overview of his performance, which could just as easily be done with a graph. Give me the exact match rating, at least on mouse over.

There is a free kick routine where the player taking the free kick does a quick short pass to a player with his back to the ball. One of two things happens, the ball bounces off your player intot he patch an opposition player, or your player stands completely still whilst the opposition player "intecepts" the ball. Any time a player tries to pass the through one of their own players and the ball bounces of their back, that happens a lot more then it should. Also in the match engine there are times when the ball comes near one of your players but they completely ignore it and just stand there whilst another one of your players runs across half the pitch to get the ball.

Negotiations aren't really negotiations. You have the initial offer, your counter offer, and then what is normally more or less their final offer.

I want £50k a week.

How about £20k?

I want £40k.

How about £25k?

I want £40k.

How about £30k?

I want £40k.

How about £35k?

I want £40k.

How about £38k?

I want £40k.

How about £39k?

Okay.

Two days later. News item saying player X has rejected a new contract offer. Or worse the agent gets annoyed cancels the talks then hates you. I'm sorry you hate me for making you do your job? :confused:

Club's not getting the message when I keep rejecting their loan offers. I didn't want to loan my player to you the first, second, third or fourth time you asked so why have you placed the same offer for a fifth time in a fortnight?

GO AWAY!!!

There is a free kick routine where the player taking the free kick does a quick short pass to a player with his back to the ball. One of two things happens, the ball bounces off your player intot he patch an opposition player, or your player stands completely still whilst the opposition player "intecepts" the ball. Any time a player tries to pass the through one of their own players and the ball bounces of their back, that happens a lot more then it should. Also in the match engine there are times when the ball comes near one of your players but they completely ignore it and just stand there whilst another one of your players runs across half the pitch to get the ball.

This! ... happens so often, and it is annoying as heck. Often this happens when half my players are waiting for the ball into the box, and then my free kick taker decides that the central defender standing 30 cm away with his back turned, should get the ball instead .... why is he there in the first place? .. he does not have the 'Stand with taker' instruction *grrrrr*

Club's not getting the message when I keep rejecting their loan offers. I didn't want to loan my player to you the first, second, third or fourth time you asked so why have you placed the same offer for a fifth time in a fortnight?

GO AWAY!!!

Haha, I have the exact opposite problem (might be linked to a large database and generated players for lower division sides). I offer youngsters out for nothing on loan, many estimated to be good enough for the BSP (where I play), and there are no offers at all. No clubs in tier 6, 7 or 8 think he is good enough?

But yeah ... I have seen a similar thing where a New Zealand club kept offering a contract to Besart Berisha (german/albanian player), and kept having to cancel the transfer as they were only allowed one Marque player (whatever that is) .. then two weeks later trying to sign him again, with the same result. I think they tried this about 5 times (so far).

• 3 months later...

Player wants to leave as he's not getting first team football, you say you'll find a club for him, you offer him to other clubs but no one is interested, and player complains that you didn't keep your promise and may take things further.

My right-back has all the time in the world to get to the ball, but for some reason he still needed more time, striker (who was initially miles away) nicks the ball from him, runs through and smashes it past the keeper, who could have possibly been better positioned. Motivation screen says keeper made mistake for the goal and now has a rating of 5.5. The right-back, who was clearly the main culprit still says playing ok and no mention of his far more significant error.

Players being removed from my shortlist as per my instruction despite the fact that I ALWAYS choose add indefinitely.

Just lost an important game that could very well cost me the title. First question in post match press conference: "That was player x's 125th appearance for the club…". Why are you asking me this question?? My team are on the brink of a late season collapse and you're asking me if a player (who probably didn't even play well) is a great servant to the club? What's the significance of 125 appearances anyway?

I click on a player who I've just sold (just to see him in the new colours, I don't know why), and it says I'll need to scout him to know what my assistant thinks of him, despite the fact that just a day before he was part of my squad, and was so for the last 3 years.

Arsenal showing as white/red rather than red/white when playing Fulham at home, yet 3D view shows they're wearing the usual home kit.

A) players moan about not getting payed a lot despite being payed more than anyone else in the league

B) Players moan about the team not being prestigous enough for them but they moan every 3 months about it when it is not possible to change your reputation that quickly

C) in all 3 of my saves Lyon are ridiculously overpowered with great regens every year in 10 seasons they have made at least the CL semi final every time winning 4 times and have answered 9 of my goals with a goal within 45 seconds

D) i have a conversation with an unhappy player the chat ends unexpected and I have 12 players moan about how I have disrespected their mate

E) February comes and I always hit a blip

F) they restrict how often you can up your youth setup we have won the CL 3 times in a row and all of our youth to the exception of 2 would not even get signed in the conference north/south

and G) all the regens look the same which isn't realistic to me

The number of times a player scores his first goal of the season against you. Fine if it's the first couple of weeks but it's still going on in the last few games! Also reserves getting their one and only runout of the season will score against you. This also happens with their first goal for the club.

The referee gives a foul. He's miles from the challenge. You know it's going to be a yellow because the player and the ref start to move towards one another. You go to make a brew. You have a wee. You knock up an omelette. You eat the omelette and drink the brew. Book a last minute easyJey flight to Crete. Come back two weeks later with suburn. Load your photos to Facebook. Have a kip. Wake up and go for a walk to blow away the cobwebs. Sort your clothes out for work. Head to bed. Get up the next day. Shower, shave, brekkie. Head off to Carlisle for week-long team building exercise. Arrive home a week later. The player and the ref have met in the middle. Yellow card. Continue with the match.

Bloody hilarious! I'm reading this at work and had to pretend I was coughing when I started laughing!

Good one Mike7077. The game just gets too slow after a few seasons. I know I dont have a state of the art laptop, but having to wait this long for the processing to end after I hit Continue is ridiculous. In fact, starting up the game and loading my save takes forever. And I've only got two leagues loaded (using add/remove leagues).

And if that is not annoying enough in itself I get informed (while waiting on the processing to end) about some Zambian player being transferred to some Zimbabwean club on a free transfer, some Belarussian player deciding to retire at 24 or Indonesia -19's drawing against Bhutan -19's. That's just rubbing it in..

The speed of the game needs to improve drasticly in FM13 or I see myself forced to return to an earlier version.. I usually start a save when I buy the new game and play that save untill the new game is released a year onwards, but this is utopia at the speed FM12 is in my current save, and I'v started all over twice already. New laptop maybe, but the game is fine in the first couple of seasons, so it should be later on, especially withe the add/remove leagues option keeping active leagues to a minimum

I bought a regen youngster from Dortmund in my 2nd season, assistant manager suggests I get Rosicky to tutor him. This is a good idea as Rosicky is a former Dortmund player and may help things. Later in the season youngster is very happy with how it went, they got on very well off the pitch, etc and Rosicky is now one of his favoured personnel. 3rd season assistant manager suggests it again so I go for it knowing how well it went last time. When it's over youngster is not happy as he learned nothing and there was a clash of personalities.

WHAT?? He was your best mate last time round! What's more, despite this clash of personalities Rosicky is still one of his favoured personnel and there is no mention of this clash in his general happiness!

Had a goal go down as an own goal from the keeper, even though he went to clear it, it smacked a defender standing near the penalty spot and rebounded in. Surely this is an own goal by the defender?!

The number of times a player scores his first goal of the season against you. Fine if it's the first couple of weeks but it's still going on in the last few games! Also reserves getting their one and only runout of the season will score against you. This also happens with their first goal for the club.

+1 this always happens and it totally pisses me off 80% of my goals for the last 2 seasons have said this after they scored so despite having a great squad we always play a team and their hapless and totally goalshy players decide that they will all contrive to help him score a goal!!! I fear the day I play against a team where everyone is making their debut

Archived