FM2012 difficulty.

How are you finding the difficulty on FM2012?  

1,760 members have voted

1. 1. How are you finding the difficulty on FM2012?

• The game is too easy.
    • The difficulty is about right.
    • The game is too hard.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The scary thing is that if people manage to convince SI it's definitely too easy, I may as well give up entirely. I won't stand a chance if the game gets any harder.

Any changes should be to the balance of the game, not "difficulty". Once you have achieved a superb-morale-fueled run of winning streaks the game IS easy. The game IS also pretty damn hard once you have lost a few games in a row; from that point and forward bad luck turns into poor-morale-fueled losing streaks and that is really hard to turn around. Hell, there are many examples of the AI failing to cope with that as well in my saves. Though not as many as in FM11.

If you are disliked by the squad because of poor reputation, don't have a tactic that makes a huge difference and manage to lose the first match of the season, I bet you will struggle to turn things around.

Similarly, if you are adored by the squad, have a tactic that makes a huge difference and win the first match of the season the game should be fairly easy.

It shouldn't be as clear-cut as that. I hope that's what SI is trying to tweak. So if you cannot find that super-form but manage to avoid poor form, you really shouldn't notice a difference.

I both think and hope that any changes to the way AI copes with your tactics and set up their own tactics are part of a revamp of the whole ME including ball physics.

• SI Staff

We are doing the following as things stand:

- Reduce extremes of player morale across the game.

- Increase team talk and motivational penalties when a manager is a far smaller name than the player(s).

- Fix selected issues and inconsistencies in the match engine and AI tactics. For example AI use of touchline instructions has been tweaked a bit. Also, AI use of set pieces has been improved, while the overall effectiveness of these set pieces has been reduced for all.

It's all in testing now until we are happy to release it into the wild. No timeline as yet.

- Increase team talk and motivational penalties when a manager is a far smaller name than the player(s).

- Fix selected issues and inconsistencies in the match engine and AI tactics. For example AI use of touchline instructions has been tweaked a bit. Also, AI use of set pieces has been improved, while the overall effectiveness of these set pieces has been reduced for all.

It's all in testing now until we are happy to release it into the wild. No timeline as yet.

Even thoguh I didnt see the 'easyness' experienced by others I appreciate this. I know you have said no timeline yet but can you give an idea of how many weeks or months or so as I dont't want to start a save now then quit (which I will do) when the new patch is out, so I can no if I should just wait rather than continuing my save.

Just finish my second season.

Playing with Benfica (as in FM2011), reputation automatic (as in FM2011), using the same tactic i created for FM2011.

In domestic competitions (league and cup) i've been dominating (as in FM2011) winning in both years.

In Champions league, in both years knockout in the quarter finals. In FM2011 i reach the final in the first year and won the CL in the second year.

From this 2 season, this is what i feel:

- It's harder to get a clean sheet (i've concede +30 goals in comparasion with FM2011)

- The amount of goals scored is similar

- It's harder to maintain a winning sequence (even with all my players with great morale)

- It's more common to get that odd lost against a really small team

- The AI team from my domestic competition lost more points (in comparasion with FM2011), wich leads to me winning the league with a bigger point gap.

In conclusion: for me, untill now, FM2012 has the same difficulty that FM2011, if not a little harder

Well we learnt a long time ago that we cant please everyone all of the time......

.....with our current approach.

Keep your current approach going for the majority but provide some ability to mod the game for the minority (hardcore gamers?) and everyone will be happy !!

I like this alot :)

The effectiveness of set-pieces need to be reduced quite a bit imo

The problem i have is what exactly will be changed to make it more difficult, or less for that matter?

It should be difficult because you are taking a small team in a big league and your players are not as good, or your budget too small, etc..

The game is supposed to be tactic and resource driven. We are supposed to excel, or fail, because of our tactical acumen or excellent transfer dealings, or in either case, lack thereof.

So what exactly is to be tweaked to make the game 'correct?'

In my humble opinion the game took a dangerous turn with the addition of morale, things simply have not been the same since. Even with previous additions you could easily overchieve, use players out of position, use crazy formations etc.. if you had your team talks correct and figured out your teams individual personalities it made them too overpowered.

If SI is looking to make an adjustment here it seems they are looking at adjusting morale specifically to try and stop long win streaks etc.. this simply shows just how overpowered morale actually is. In addition unfortunately until the AI gets a serious revamp long term games with top clubs are simply a waste of time.

Its' too bad i've really enjoyed this game for the last decade or so, but it does need a serious overhaul. Tactics have to matter again!

Morale isn't overpowered at all. It IS very important, because that winning mentality and faith in your own abilities is what separates athletes with technique from world class players. Arsenal struggled awfully in the season opening RL because they lost their star players all at once, but now they have picked up their morale and are now in good form, destroying the opposition thanks to a RvP on fire. FM should reflect this.

However, there is a problem with how the 3d animations display normal good form compared to the god-like efforts seen when their morale is superb, and that problem is not that those 9.0+ rating perfect games occur - it is rather that they continue to do so game after game regardless of opposition. The result is that regardless of player quality you can destroy any opposition as long as you continue winning and team morale is superb, and of course such a high morale is maintained when you continue winning. Once you are -there- you have locked the game in god-mode. That's what needs to stop.

Superb morale should only be achievable when you manage to fire up the team before special matches, for example against rival teams or after you have won a game in which you were huge underdogs. Winning when you were a huge favourite shouldn't boost morale at all. Very Good morale should only be achievable for players who played well, so if you are on a winning streak and one of your players got a 6.8 rating his morale should drop to Good or Fairly Good.

Morale should be equally slow downwards from Ok and Fairly Poor as well. The fluctuation should vary from Fairly Poor to Good most of the time.

Could I do a quick straw poll please?

1) Do you find it too easy, hard or ok?

2) What was your starting reputation and which club are you managing?

Cheers,

Paul

Inconsistent. I have 3 games currently playing - Rep set to Automatic.

1, As Spurs (have won every game so far, 22 games. including 6 Pre season) - Too Easy

2, LLM. (11 games in with Darlington, and was difficult to get results, played 18, won 3, drawn 5, lost 10) - Too Hard

2b, Continuing from above, holidayed till the end of the season, got offered Bury, they had been relegated, lost all but 5 players, had to rejiggle and was well over budget to just try and get a squad together, walked the league, had like 3 loses and not many more draws - Too Easy

3 - Follwing on from above also, i have resigned as Bury manager just before the start of the season (after i promoted them) and holidayed 2 years in advance and got offered the Ajax job. Won 3 friendlys so far - Too early to comment, but too easy to get the Ajax job from a short career path - Not complaining, but slightly too easy/too early too comment fully

This game is too easy, im dynamo fc of south africa and after 20 league games I have won 18 and drawn 2.. also i have won every cup game (about 6 so far)... i played half a season with liverpool before getting bored with the easyness... or perhaps im just too good...

Any changes should be to the balance of the game, not "difficulty". Once you have achieved a superb-morale-fueled run of winning streaks the game IS easy.

If you are disliked by the squad because of poor reputation, don't have a tactic that makes a huge difference and manage to lose the first match of the season, I bet you will struggle to turn things around.

Similarly, if you are adored by the squad, have a tactic that makes a huge difference and win the first match of the season the game should be fairly easy.

Yeah, losing the first match IS a killer, I can vouch for that.

But for the morale-fueled winning runs... nah. Even with every single member of the matchday squad on superb morale after 5 straight wins I always expect a disappointing and inexplicable defeat to stop our charge. It looks as if the game has some balancing tool that ensures that the AI teams will always remain within reach. At least I can find no other explanation for getting one point out of two games after creating a total of 11 clear cut chances and hitting the woodwork four times.

That's what makes this version insanely hard (although it was a problem on previous FMs as well): you have simply no way of knowing what's wrong because even tactical problems are shown only in the total inability to take your chances.

Just now: shots 22-5, clear cut chances 3-0, possession 59-41 - and it's a 1-1 draw. And I have no idea what to tweak so that my strikers occasionally put the ball into the net. With the same tactics, the assistant manager does a lot better than me even though morale is NOT the problem, or at least all my players are on good, superb etc. No idea what's wrong. The game is insanely hard, no reason to make it even more difficult.

Yeah, losing the first match IS a killer, I can vouch for that.

But for the morale-fueled winning runs... nah. Even with every single member of the matchday squad on superb morale after 5 straight wins I always expect a disappointing and inexplicable defeat to stop our charge. It looks as if the game has some balancing tool that ensures that the AI teams will always remain within reach. At least I can find no other explanation for getting one point out of two games after creating a total of 11 clear cut chances and hitting the woodwork four times.

That's what makes this version insanely hard (although it was a problem on previous FMs as well): you have simply no way of knowing what's wrong because even tactical problems are shown only in the total inability to take your chances.

Just now: shots 22-5, clear cut chances 3-0, possession 59-41 - and it's a 1-1 draw. And I have no idea what to tweak so that my strikers occasionally put the ball into the net. With the same tactics, the assistant manager does a lot better than me even though morale is NOT the problem, or at least all my players are on good, superb etc. No idea what's wrong. The game is insanely hard, no reason to make it even more difficult.

I have a solution for you - buy better strikers. The fact that you don't convert your chances does not mean the game is hard, it most probably means your strikers are crap.

...and you should be feeling lucky to have some sort of a challenge, a lot of people can't say the same around here about their games (including myself).

There is one thing that makes it easier for me that is the fact you can look at a player report and it tells you his best position and setting.. this helps at the start of the season because you can easily tweek your tactic to play to your best players strengths.

On a game playing front though I took West Ham up first season and currently struggling in Premier midtable because I have no money to bring new signings in so no its not easier.

I have a solution for you - buy better strikers. The fact that you don't convert your chances does not mean the game is hard, it most probably means your strikers are crap.

...and you should be feeling lucky to have some sort of a challenge, a lot of people can't say the same around here about their games (including myself).

They are perfectly adequate for the level I'm playing at. I can give you an example: my number one striker was top goalscorer in the division the season before I bought him. In his first season playing for us, in the very same division, he missed 2-3 chances every game. I tried another striker: same thing. A third one: again, same problem. I had a brief period in my first season when a striker was regularly banging them in but in that period we regularly conceded two goals per game just from corners. A balancing tool, again.

It's not a challenge if you have no idea what you're doing wrong. It's frustration, nothing more. I envy those who find it too easy, definitely better than feeling helpless and dejected for yet another inexplicable loss.

Your assistant will be changing things during the games if you leave him in charge, so it may seem he is using your tactic, but the reality is he will only be starting with your tactic and adjusting as the game goes on depending on how the game is going. It sounds like your team is rushing chances and taking on impossible chances. I would suggest looking at how you can make your team create better chances, the number of shots your team is missing would really worry me.

Your assistant will be changing things during the games if you leave him in charge, so it may seem he is using your tactic, but the reality is he will only be starting with your tactic and adjusting as the game goes on depending on how the game is going. It sounds like your team is rushing chances and taking on impossible chances. I would suggest looking at how you can make your team create better chances, the number of shots your team is missing would really worry me.

It worries me, too, mate, trust me. I often tell them to retain possession and work the ball into the box. The result, more often than not, is that we create beautiful chances, one on one with the keeper and then the striker blasts it into orbit. Or sidefoots wide from three yards. Or hits the post. Or falls on his arse. Wingers/inside forwards seem to be slightly less prolific but they don't get into goalscoring positions that often. Then again, it might be a tactical problem. FM's tactical logic was always incomprehensible to me, it has so little to do with real life football. I'll probably download some tactics. I wanted to avoid that as it takes away the sense of achievement almost entirely but it's either that or giving this game up entirely.

It worries me, too, mate, trust me. I often tell them to retain possession and work the ball into the box. The result, more often than not, is that we create beautiful chances, one on one with the keeper and then the striker blasts it into orbit. Or sidefoots wide from three yards. Or hits the post. Or falls on his arse. Wingers/inside forwards seem to be slightly less prolific but they don't get into goalscoring positions that often. Then again, it might be a tactical problem. FM's tactical logic was always incomprehensible to me, it has so little to do with real life football. I'll probably download some tactics. I wanted to avoid that as it takes away the sense of achievement almost entirely but it's either that or giving this game up entirely.

FM's match engine does have a strange way of representing team performance on the pitch. When you're missing a lot of chances it's almost certainly trying to tell you that you're actually not playing well and your tactics aren't good/suitable for your players/understandable enough. There's usually two ways to go about this, keep getting frustrated or adapt and change things. At times in the past when I've struggled with tactics I've found the best thing to do is to get back to basics. Stick to the TC settings, make a balanced base tactic avoiding extreme strategies/instructions, give your player the simplest roles. Don't ask them to do anything too difficult i.e don't use trequartista's and playmakers etc. Then when they settle into playing well slowly tweak to make the most of your players.

FM's match engine does have a strange way of representing team performance on the pitch. When you're missing a lot of chances it's almost certainly trying to tell you that you're actually not playing well and your tactics aren't good/suitable for your players/understandable enough. There's usually two ways to go about this' date=' keep getting frustrated or adapt and change things. At times in the past when I've struggled with tactics I've found the best thing to do is to get back to basics. Stick to the TC settings, make a balanced base tactic avoiding extreme strategies/instructions, give your player the simplest roles. Don't ask them to do anything too difficult i.e don't use trequartista's and playmakers etc. Then when they settle into playing well slowly tweak to make the most of your players.[/quote']

Precisely what I've tried doing from basically the start of the season. I might have to abandon 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 but a basic bog-standard 4-4-2 doesn't suit my players at all (my wide men are all AMLs or AMRs, my best midfielders are defensive midfielders etc.).

if your playing high wingers like that then you should be able to create better chances as you are. Setting your team up a bit wider should help make more space and create better chances, also retain and work into box can help, i also use the overlap shout quite a lot in games where i am either not creating any chances, or mostly impossible shots from either far out or bad angles. What kinda of striker are you playing, is he a target man or a quick striker, what supply have you got going to him? Do you use a primary playmaker at all? There is always a tactical way to make things work, frustrating as it is.

Precisely what I've tried doing from basically the start of the season. I might have to abandon 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 but a basic bog-standard 4-4-2 doesn't suit my players at all (my wide men are all AMLs or AMRs, my best midfielders are defensive midfielders etc.).

Then you can change to the best tactic in the game, 4-2-4 with defensive midfielders. Just make an Attacking, Balanced 4-2-2-2 wide tactic where you push up, normal passing range, high closing down. Then tweak it as you see fit. Should be an instant success.

A friend of mine did that, and gradually tweak it towards the one I have been using for nearly a year - out of observation of what works... he really doesn't want to end up with my tactic but there are fewer and fewer differences the more we play. In any case, he had instant success with Napoli with the basic starting point you get when you make the tactic in TC.

You can't get a much better left winger in that tactic than Hamsik, or a much better striker than Cavani, so the results make sense (he won first season).

Well we learnt a long time ago that we cant please everyone all of the time......

Which is why every other game in the world comes with: <the words that shall not be said>

PS. as for your poll:

Thurrock

Automatic

Far too easy (top 3 - 1st season)

Only signed one player, very basic tactics

Solihull Moors

Automatic

Far too easy (straight to top of leaderboard)

Quit playing.

Things can be so easy and simple. If you find game hard, look in Tactics & Training Discussion. YOu even have good player and team guide. I would never go there myself, but its really good for players who start the game or have bad results for longer period.

For SI: You can put other options, before we start the new game. Just like you already put "hiddining player attributes" option. THere you can put "more realistic morale" , " realistic set pieces", "realistic club transfers", "realistic AI managers", etc.... If someone dont wont realistic game and find realistic game too hard, he can simply leave these options unchecked before the game starts. ANd we are all happy.

In other simulations, like in Silent Hunter series, you had all possible parameters before the start of the new game. I like submarine simulations, but i was never so good that i could play on 100 % realistic. But for players like me, they made options before the start of the game, so i played on i think 60% of difficulty. THere was never any problem with that.

Could you explain better... you are sure that something changes ? Does this mean that you see a difference but have no idea why and under what circumstances ?

Having looked at the modifications hes made in the tactical_templates file it looks like he's increased defensive closing down by quite a large margin, removed a few tendancies from some player positions giving them less irrelevant options for that position??? probably in an attempt to make them more rigid in their gameplay, therefore making less possible mistakes? Thats my take on it anyway. He's also changed some parameters to make the AI use team default settings for some categories (this could be something to do with tactical tendancies).

Not sure if it makes the game harder though as I've not not tried it. In theory I suppose it could. If I had to guess, its something like making the AI more rigid, therefore making less mistakes, sacrificing a bit of randomness for increased difficulty. I'm not 100% sure though.

However, I remember Pinuccio from the fifa manager gameplay editors forums and he made some great gameplay patches for that game. Wether his work on FM will match up is another matter. Maybe try a few test games yourself to find out?

Personally I'm waiting for SI's patch.

so would this basically make some of our tactics/player instructions worthless then?...even player positions??

not that im gonna try it anyway..lol

I don't think so, unless you use only default tactics (like the AI). Human made custom tactics shouldn't be effected. Its an AI patch as far as I know. Only SI could answer that for sure.

Then you can change to the best tactic in the game, 4-2-4 with defensive midfielders. Just make an Attacking, Balanced 4-2-2-2 wide tactic where you push up, normal passing range, high closing down. Then tweak it as you see fit. Should be an instant success.

A friend of mine did that, and gradually tweak it towards the one I have been using for nearly a year - out of observation of what works... he really doesn't want to end up with my tactic but there are fewer and fewer differences the more we play. In any case, he had instant success with Napoli with the basic starting point you get when you make the tactic in TC.

You can't get a much better left winger in that tactic than Hamsik, or a much better striker than Cavani, so the results make sense (he won first season).

I'll try that then. I attempted to play with a default 4-5-1 after relegation; just lost the second match of the season with creating four clear cut chances and hitting the woodwork twice. If it's really a tactical problem then the match engine is broken beyond repair.

hello all. The changes I made ​​to the template files concern the defensive, now the teams are trying to better cover the space. At the same time the attackers goalseek. Forwards and wingers are more pungent and more seeking the depth of the game. The midfielders are inserted with greater insistence, and at the same time they have a better defensive behavior. This is because, with the original template,the CPU opponent, tends to make a large number of steps, but never seeks the goal.

Unfortunately, the tactics that are present in the root folder of the game, have an attitude of "standards". It would need to change the tactics of the game that uses theCPU, making more offensive and more defensive, to be used by the CPU in variousgame situations. Unfortunately I can not change the tactics in the root folder of the game. A solution I found is to change the tactics_template. Making a kind of tuningthat turns the game's CPU more aggressive and offensive.

But on this, I'd be curious to read a teacher's feedback PaulC.

Having looked at the modifications hes made in the tactical_templates file it looks like he's increased defensive closing down by quite a large margin, removed a few tendancies from some player positions giving them less irrelevant options for that position??? probably in an attempt to make them more rigid in their gameplay, therefore making less possible mistakes? Thats my take on it anyway. He's also changed some parameters to make the AI use team default settings for some categories (this could be something to do with tactical tendancies).

Not sure if it makes the game harder though as I've not not tried it. In theory I suppose it could. If I had to guess, its something like making the AI more rigid, therefore making less mistakes, sacrificing a bit of randomness for increased difficulty. I'm not 100% sure though.

However, I remember Pinuccio from the fifa manager gameplay editors forums and he made some great gameplay patches for that game. Wether his work on FM will match up is another matter. Maybe try a few test games yourself to find out?

Personally I'm waiting for SI's patch.

^_^ But now I'm in love with footballmanager

^_^ But now I'm in love with footballmanager

Hi mate, welcome to real football, and not that cartoon football effort EA churn out year after year :lol:

I decided to try your patch out of curiosity, and although its much harder to keep a clean sheet I think there's too many goals being scored overall.

I played 10 matches as manager of Tottenham Hotspur...

Home v Fulham won 3-1

Away v Celtic won 2-1

Away v Sunderland lost 0-3

Home v Bolton won 4-1

Home v Maccabi Haifa won 2-0

Away v Arsenal drew 3-3

Home v Liverpool drew 3-3

Away v West Brom won 6-4 :eek:

Home v Man Utd won 5-1 :confused:

Home v Swansea won 3-1

I think its a good idea you're onto, but the SI made tactics are already finely balanced and even the smallest modification can have wild consequences. FM is far more sophisticated than Fifa Manager so it'll probably be much harder to get any more realism out of the game with gameplay patches. Maybe a lot of hard work and trial and error is needed.

49 goals in 10 games is a bit too many ;)

Hi mate, welcome to the real football game, and not that cartoon football effort EA churn out year after year :lol:

I tried your patch, and although its much harder to keep a clean sheet I think there's too many goals being scored overall.

I played 10 matches as manager of Tottenham Hotspur...

Home v Fulham won 3-1

Away v Celtic won 2-1

Away v Sunderland lost 0-3

Home v Bolton won 4-1

Home v Maccabi Haifa won 2-0

Away v Arsenal drew 3-3

Home v Liverpool drew 3-3

Away v West Brom won 6-4 :eek:

Home v Man Utd won 5-1 :confused:

Home v Swansea won 3-1

I think its a good idea you're onto, but the SI made tactics are already finely balanced and even the smallest modifiction can have wild consequences. FM is far more sophisticated than Fifa Manager so it'll probably be much harder to get any more realism out of the game with gameplay patches. Maybe a lot of hard work and trial and error is needed.

49 goals in 10 games is a bit too many ;)

good feedback.Of course there are jobs available.But it maybe an idea t customize the template,perhaps with help from PaulC to better understand the meaning of the values ​​of tactics_template and how it interacts with the game.And of course if these changes might be useful to create a greater reactivity of the opposing team.

@Erimus:Can you telluswith whattacticsyou play,thegoals,it seems to meto use astrong touchoffensive.

There is also the patch1.1 thatwe can try.To see the difference with the 1.2 better.

Your feedback is important, you are experienced players and you know thegame very well.

I forgot. You've tried watching an entire match? I am afraid there is a difference between an entire match or salient actions, or speeding up the match.

But I'm not sure about this.

• SI Staff

While I appreciate the time and effort that goes into this sort of stuff I have enough trouble with the ME and tactics supplied in the game without analysing 3rd party stuff like this :)

@pinuccio

I used patch 1.2. Yes, I used offensive tactics with Tottenham as thats their main strength. I used default 4-4-2 Diamond mostly.

If I get time I will try it with a different team and defensive tactics, but I'll probably wait for the SI patch for now.

In Football Manager the whole game is simulated so it doesn't matter if you watch the Full Game, Extended Highlights, Key Highlights, or Commentry. The whole game is played, and you can go back and watch it in its entirey afterwards if you like - even if you just used commentry mode first time around. Unlike fifa manager, there is no instant result calculation or text mode ME's. Fifa Manager effectively has 3 different match engines, thats why the results vary wildy from one to the other. In Football Manager there is only one match engine, and all results in your league are actually generated from fully simulated games.

Football Manager is a football simulation.

Fifa Manager is a football 'game'.

:)

Napoli

Automatic

Too Easy, won the Seria A in 1st season with no effort whatsoever

My biggest objection would probably be the non-existent home ground effect. In previous versions of FM I found that it was much harder for me to win the away matches, and always had to change my tactics and make it more careful if I wanted to get something out of the match, especially if I managed a mediocre team. In FM 2012, I don't feel that effect exists. I feel like it doesn't matter whether you play home or away, whether you change your tactics, shouts etc. I don't know what determines the winner in FM 2012 the most, is it the player's attributes, the team's reputation or what? The factors that determine the winner of a football match should be counted in double digits, and it certainly doesn't feel so in this version.

Archived