FM2012 difficulty.

How are you finding the difficulty on FM2012?  

1,760 members have voted

1. 1. How are you finding the difficulty on FM2012?

• The game is too easy.
    • The difficulty is about right.
    • The game is too hard.

With the popularity of the game these days, I'd have introduces difficulty option a few versions ago...Long time ago only die hard fans were playing FM and therefore having a hard game was popular with everyone. The game is now more mainstream, but making it only for the mainstream player is rubbish as it alienates their established fanbase. To be honest I don't see a problem with a difficulty setting even though many people are against it...What is wrong with the idea? Every other game has it...I can give you plenty of examples of games that I am awful at and that I am good at so I play at different difficulty level...If everyone else does, why does SI refuse to do it, when obviously it will going to work for today's FM? I am challenging anyone here to give me a reason why it would not work from a player's perspective, I don't know how much effort it is going to be for SI but they sold plenty of copies this year so they should have the resources to do it.

KUBI - this is not the only FM forum on the internet - not everyone has to post here. I don't post much on these forums but I've been reading this one particularly since it was created basically, I just didn't feel the need to post in it.

Whos says the game isnt at the highest difficulty setting possible for the available resources and common technology? There might be a slight issue with moral which is causing extended winning or losing streaks, Paul has already been over that, again i question if you have actually read this thread. Outwith that there is little the game does differently to FM11 so if you found that ok then that says something under the hood we are not aware of is maybe causing this issue for a select few people, and not everyone. Which makes finding the issue very very difficult.

If you feel so strongly then provide Paul with PKM's of your games, he has been asking for these all along so he can check his ideas against save games.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This definitely isn't the case. I use very low MP and I'm still doing quite well.

Same here. No MP set & no focus set makes little difference in 'easiness' wether Average, High, or Very High is set. Its the same thing, winning games at a canter.

That's what confuses me, i haven't found anything that easy so far, are you playing with just a default 442 as well or are you creating your own tactics?

Default 442 has nothing to do with it. I used default 442 and shouts in FM11 and it was never this easy. Unless this years default tactics have changed and are much better than last years ? In my normal save I'm using a custom made tactic now and still winning. The only thing that seems to effect these long winning and losing streaks seems to be morale.

Whos says the game isnt at the highest difficulty setting possible for the available resources and common technology? There might be a slight issue with moral which is causing extended winning or losing streaks, Paul has already been over that, again i question if you have actually read this thread. Outwith that there is little the game does differently to FM11 so if you found that ok then that says something under the hood we are not aware of is maybe causing this issue for a select few people, and not everyone. Which makes finding the issue very very difficult.

If you feel so strongly then provide Paul with PKM's of your games, he has been asking for these all along so he can check his ideas against save games.

I don't know who says it but I can see from my own experience so far that this is the case. I did not say FM11 was hard, too, so I am not saying it changed overnight from FM11 to FM12. FM11 compared to, say, FM04 is quite easy but there is a limit to everything - for me the limit is FM12 as it is even easier than FM11. That is why in my previous post I said difficulty level should have been introduced A FEW versions ago - it still isn't.

When I am leading German 3rd with no excessive effort and the simplest tactics possible with the worst possible team in the league and semi-pro footabller manager profile, I don't need anyone to tell me that this is not the highest possible difficulty level - it simply isn't. It is like taking Swansea and winning Premierleague in Season 1 - how is that close to reality? Isn't realism what we love(d) about FM?

I don't know who says it but I can see from my own experience so far that this is the case. I did not say FM11 was hard, too, so I am not saying it changed overnight from FM11 to FM12. FM11 compared to, say, FM04 is quite easy but there is a limit to everything - for me the limit is FM12 as it is even easier than FM11. That is why in my previous post I said difficulty level should have been introduced A FEW versions ago - it still isn't.

When I am leading German 3rd with no excessive effort and the simplest tactics possible with the worst possible team in the league and semi-pro footabller manager profile, I don't need anyone to tell me that this is not the highest possible difficulty level - it simply isn't. It is like taking Swansea and winning Premierleague in Season 1 - how is that close to reality? Isn't realism what we love(d) about FM?

It might just be that you're a brilliant manager, Blackpool went to the prem without any funds really :), just good manager and team spirit

Trouble is whatever I try works in FM12, which is where the problem lies for me..

Exactly!!! And it doesn't matter if what you're trying are self-imposed handicaps or playing the game 'normally'.... default tactics, no default tactics, MP no MP, training no training... etc. Its the same story. You hit the nail on the head.

It feels the game is permanently stuck on win mode and some of us have to find ways to find lose mode, or at least inconsistant mode. Thats not bragging, thats the sad truth.

FM 11 was quite the opposite in my experience.

Isn't realism what we love(d) about FM?

Not really, realism would be getting a part time managers job if you were lucky at a tiny amature club and spending 30 years doing very little in the footballing world, if you were good enough you would be involved in football at a decent level already. What we enjoy is the fact we can simulate a fantasy footballing world based on real life people, clubs, rules, comps ect. As soon as you click continue for the 1st time the FM world and real world become completely different, anything can happen and very little should be ruled out.

What you must realise, and you could if you had read the thread, is that, another user, in another save, managing the same german team from the 3rd division, will struggle and dont have any sucess.

Understand now, why this isn't a case of adding difficulty levels?

It might just be that you're a brilliant manager, Blackpool went to the prem without any funds really :), just good manager and team spirit

I tried Blackpool in FM11 and resigned as I was doing too bad :) Obviously this isn't the case! :) - I think this was my only real disappointment in FM11, the other teams I took did great - but when I was making them perform better, it at least involved scouting for good regens or fiddling with tactics, improving trainng, etc...in FM12, it seems to me, you win by default.

What you must realise, and you could if you had read the thread, is that, another user, in another save, managing the same german team from the 3rd division, will struggle and dont have any sucess.

Understand now, why this isn't a case of adding difficulty levels?

No, tbh, care to explain? I think what you just said proves that difficulty setting would be extremely helpful as it would make the game more challenging for me and less challenging for him - so that we both have fun playing it, instead of none of us. Seriously, I did not get your point.

No, tbh, care to explain? I think what you just said proves that difficulty setting would be extremely helpful as it would make the game more challenging for me and less challenging for him - so that we both have fun playing it, instead of none of us. Seriously, I did not get your point.

Start a new save game with the same german team! Do exactly the same.. and perhaps you will get a big surprise!

Therein lies the problem with your posts, you dont appear to understand the problem and seem to have ignore everything trying to explain it.

There appears to be an issue with CERTAIN peoples games starting off to well and becoming easy, its not a problem every single person in every single game experience, hence why it has not already been sorted. Its very complicated to find an issue that only occurs under certain circumstances, especailly if you dont know the exact circumstances.

Therein lies the problem with your posts, you dont appear to understand the problem and seem to have ignore everything trying to explain it.

There appears to be an issue with CERTAIN peoples games starting off to well and becoming easy, its not a problem every single person in every single game experience, hence why it has not already been sorted. Its very complicated to find an issue that only occurs under certain circumstances, especailly if you dont know the exact circumstances.

Its certainly not a 'minority' complaining though.

Well, it happened three times in a row for me. If it was 1 game, I would not be writing her, you know...If we say Napoli was okey as they are good anyway (still beating Inter 1-4 and Juventus 0-4 and Sporting Lisbon 7:1), what should I say about Wolfsburg, which I took with rubbish players and no budget to buy anyone really good and got them to 2nd and 1st places in two consecutive seasons. The only reason I started in German 3rd is to check exactly your point - I thought I was lucky to just start well and g o on winning with the good teams..but when you start all over again and do the same thing with a rubbish team when just pressing the spacebar, you get tired of it.

And what do you mean by certain people - the game is the same for everyone. The AI and match engine are the same for everyone, the tactics code is the same for everyone, the morale is the same for everyone. How many games should I start to find one that is challenging 5-6? Where's the fun? I thought every time you start with the worst team in a country it would be hard...

Keyzer - I might try that and see, but I didn't buy the game for that you know? 30 pounds to keep testing the game, I thought this was SI's job?

TBH, the idea of difficulty level needs to be scrapped, its not like Fifa where you control what every player does, it would be to complicated to have difficulty level in managing a team on FM and thus I also think it would create more problems in terms of what we find out before SI even notice

And what do you mean by certain people - the game is the same for everyone. The AI and match engine are the same for everyone, the tactics code is the same for everyone, the morale is the same for everyone. How many games should I start to find one that is challenging 5-6? Where's the fun? I thought every time you start with the worst team in a country it would be hard...

No it's not!

On a sidenote, for all the people saying we are minority - I worked at Airbus last year - Customer Services division - if 30% of airlines having bought our aircraft came back saying we have sold them rubbish aircraft, I'd try to help them, not ignore them - they might not come back you know?

"No it's not!" - are you saying my morale code is different from yours? Is this a joke?

On a sidenote, for all the people saying we are minority - I worked at Airbus last year - Customer Services division - if 30% of airlines having bought our aircraft came back saying we have sold them rubbish aircraft, I'd try to help them, not ignore them - they might not come back you know?

"No it's not!" - are you saying my morale code is different from yours? Is this a joke?

You really need to read the whole thread, the problem that's been identified is that it ISN'T the same for everybody when you start a new save under what we'd expect were identical circumstances.

That's the root of the problem..

No! I'm saying that Morale can get big changes from small details.

The way I'm seeing this whole issue is SI really don't have a clue on where the problem is but are doing their best in the circumstances, and will try to appease everyone.

Those of us who know 100% for sure that FM12 is far far easier than previous versions can't pinpoint the problem either. All we can do is talk about our experiences, maybe run a few limited tests since none of us have the time or resources available to us like SI do, and thats about it.

Its pointless trying to convince anyone whose currently playing FM12 and enjoying the challenge that there's a problem. Most won't believe it until they see it themselves, and the rest won't even care. Thats fine and totally understandable.

Adding skill levels will never work because they are subjective. Whats perceived as hard for one, will be quite easy for someone else, and vice-versa. Other ways have to be found to up the difficulty level for some, while leaving the rest to play their games unaffected. Maybe more options in the editor could be one way to do that in future FM's. For now though, the 30% who are dissapointed will just have suck it up or go back to FM11. Pity Steam don't issue refunds, but we all live and learn. Next year I'll be waiting for 13.3 before making a decision (hopefully I won't still be playing '11 with SI having solved the problem with '12 by then).

The way I'm seeing this whole issue is SI really don't have a clue on where the problem is but are doing their best in the circumstances, and will try to appease everyone.

Those of us who know 100% for sure that FM12 is far far easier than previous versions can't pinpoint the problem either. All we can do is talk about our experiences, maybe run a few limited tests since none of us have the time or resources available to us like SI do, and thats about it.

Its pointless trying to convince anyone whose currently playing FM12 and enjoying the challenge that there's a problem. Most won't believe it until they see it themselves, and the rest won't even care. Thats fine and totally understandable.

Adding skill levels will never work because they are subjective. Whats perceived as hard for one, will be quite easy for someone else, and vice-versa. Other ways have to be found to up the difficulty level for some, while leaving the rest to play their games unaffected. Maybe more options in the editor could be one way to do that in future FM's. For now though, the 30% who are dissapointed will just have suck it up or go back to FM11. Pity Steam don't issue refunds, but we all live and learn. Next year I'll be waiting for 13.3 before making a descion (hopefully I won't still be playing '11 with SI having solved the problem with '12 by then).

It is subjective in every other game in this world - and it works. Why wouldn't it work with FM? The trouble with FM is - other games that get boring on single player, you just start multiplayer so that is challenging as you play against real people. FM can't be played multiplayer by many people due to time requirements so when single player is messed up, I feel like I've given my money away.

Yes, but the code is the same and obviously this code in FM12 is set up far too easy - what do I have to do to upset them, I've not managed to do it by now(5 seasons playing, including the demo).

Erimus1876,

Im not trying to convince anyone. In fact i trully believe in everyone that says the game its too easy. What all of you must understand is that this "ease" is not an issue to everybody:

a) because some people actually find the game hard

b) because they like a easy game, simple as that

What i dont like, is been called stupid because i find FM2012 hard.

I am sorry but anybody saying the game is not easy is either a complete idiot or mentally ill.

1st Save - Napoli (prediction 5-6 I think)

1 - Champions, Italian Cup

2 - Champions, Italian Cup, CL Final (lost because had cup final 2 days before the CL final and players were tired...)

1st Save Continued - Wolfsburg (prediction 15-16 I think)

3 - 2nd + German Cup

gave up on save as I was destroying everyone in Germany season 4...

Decided to restart with some rubbish team to test if the game is really THAT easy so...

Darmstadt in German Third Division (prediction 20th, no wage budget, no transfer budget)

Currently I am 1st, 7 pts in front of 2nd from 16 games. 10 games won in a row (having 4-5 injured players all the time and almost no subs. I win even away, with 9 or 10 men without much tweaking of tactics).

ABSOLUTE DISGRACE SI! I actually paid for this game and feel like I've wasted my money.

mind you I play since CM99...I have struggled at some point on all versions up to now except FM12. Easiest game ever. I am not paying for FM13 unless SI publish a FIX for the current game.

alexyfoot, i understand why you are angry, im angry 2. But if you want that SI make harder game, please, send your save to PaulC, he wrote in this thread that it would be good to send him saves. I completly agree with you, your results in first 3 years with Napoly and especially with Wolfsburg are just 2 good, not to mention your save with Darmstadt.

I dont agree with your sayin that others are complete i. or mentally ill. Maybe they just not so good managers or new players.

Like in any other forums, we are not all the same. Some people here have lower IQ ofc. , but tellin them they are mentally ill is to harsh. I know you said those things because you are upset, but calm down now m8 and try to help us with your informations etc.

P.s. If someone say to you that Napoli is great club, just ignore them. THey obv. didnt read you was great with Wolfsburg and Darmstadt. I just wonder since when is easy to win 2 serie a in a row + final of champ league with Napoly? i guess Inter, Milan, Roma and Juve are not good clubs anymore.

I can never get my head around difficulty levels on manager games. Only experienced it once on the fifa manager demo and just seemed odd to me. I wouldn't be in favour of them.

Well, I've played FM for 13 years, I would play on hardest possible setting and AI will be smarter than the current rubbish one in FM12. If I play FM for the first time, I will play on easy/normal, where AI and Morale management would be on the level of FM12. It is quite a simple concept that has been part of gaming since they were created...Why does SI refuse to do it is beyond me when it is so obvious that the game needs it. If SI can't develop a smarter AI, then let us know so that I start playing some other game for my hobby(only joking, obviously they can...).

Matej - you are right. It is a bit harsh, what I meant is either they aren't very smart or they are new to the game. I really doubt anyone with brains of the experienced players will struggle on FM12.

I can never get my head around difficulty levels on manager games. Only experienced it once on the fifa manager demo and just seemed odd to me. I wouldn't be in favour of them.

Yeah, i agree! It's a bit weird.

A think the Editor ideia is much better! Give to the users an editor where you can modify the most important aspect of the game that might influence the "level of difficulty".

That way, people can mess around the way they wanted.

Yeah, i agree! It's a bit weird.

A think the Editor ideia is much better! Give to the users an editor where you can modify the most important aspect of the game that might influence the "level of difficulty".

That way, people can mess around the way they wanted.

This is just like a difficulty setting with advanced settings (ref FIFA12 - where, on top of AI ability setting from amateur to world class, you control shot accuracy, shot power, pass accuracy, pass power, goalkeeper skill, etc). Your suggestion is absolutely the same concept as what EA do - whether it is part of the editor or part of game set-up, I don't really care as long as I can set it up the way I want it before starting a game..

Well, I've played FM for 13 years, I would play on hardest possible setting and AI will be smarter than the current rubbish one in FM12. If I play FM for the first time, I will play on easy/normal, where AI and Morale management would be on the level of FM12. It is quite a simple concept that has been part of gaming since they were created...Why does SI refuse to do it is beyond me when it is so obvious that the game needs it. If SI can't develop a smarter AI, then let us know so that I start playing some other game for my hobby(only joking, obviously they can...).

Matej - you are right. It is a bit harsh, what I meant is either they aren't very smart or they are new to the game. I really doubt anyone with brains of the experienced players will struggle on FM12.

True m8, im playin this game even more then you, its close to 20 years now. And BELIVE me, i wonna difficulty levels, i pray for them.

True m8, im playin this game even more then you, its close to 20 years now. And BELIVE me, i wonna difficulty levels, i pray for them.

Such a setting can do no harm. If anyone doesn't want to use - just play on normal, which would be your typical game up to FM12. People can only benefit, as if you are one of the unhappy ones with the standard setting you can actually fix the game yourself by changing difficulty level next time you start a game. That is why I challenged anyone to point out why we shouldn't get such an option - I am still waiting for an answer. I'd especially want to hear the opinion of anyone from SI browsing the forum, I don't think I have come across their opinion on the matter.

I didn't have a computer 14 years ago, that is why I didn't play it earlier :)

I haven't seen yet a valid reason to not adding difficulty levels but if any forumer or better SI could enghlithen us up I would be glad to read them and express a opinion.

That is why I challenged anyone to point out why we shouldn't get such an option - I am still waiting for an answer. I'd especially want to hear the opinion of anyone from SI browsing the forum, I don't think I have come across their opinion on the matter.

The answer is that Football Manager is as much a simulation as it is a game. The AI clubs are intended to play under the same rules as human managers, and ideally their decision making would be close to a human manager, in a manner that makes sense in a football context. The only difficulty setting that makes sense, therefore, is that of choosing a stronger club, vs a weaker club.

The answer is that Football Manager is as much a simulation as it is a game. The AI clubs are intended to play under the same rules as human managers, and ideally their decision making would be close to a human manager, in a manner that makes sense in a football context. The only difficulty setting that makes sense, therefore, is that of choosing a stronger club, vs a weaker club.

Well if the AI's ability to make decisions was close to that of human counterparts, the game wouldn't have been anywhere as easy as it is today - there can only be 2 reasons:

1. SI don't want to do it to keep the newbies happy.

2. SI can't make AI smart enough to provide a challenge for the typical experienced player.

You can choose an option yourself, I wouldn't bet on 2. as I have no doubt SI developers are smart people.

So if it was option 1. then the game could be made harder - so why not have three options for players with different game experience, how does the concept of simulation change that fact? I keep seeing this argument but it isn't a good argument in my opinion.

...regarding club choice...I took an avarege club and a crappy club on top of the top club - same results, obviously this isn't enough to make a difference. And with so many people saying the same thing, I don't think anyone should deny this issue.

It is subjective in every other game in this world - and it works. Why wouldn't it work with FM? The trouble with FM is - other games that get boring on single player, you just start multiplayer so that is challenging as you play against real people. FM can't be played multiplayer by many people due to time requirements so when single player is messed up, I feel like I've given my money away.

They won't work in FM for a million reasons. But one major one being not a technical issue but more of a psychological issue. The skill level argument has been a taboo subject on these forums for years because the vast majority are against them, as are SI. Up until this year whenever anyone mentioned the games too easy you'd be swamped by 100 posts all saying "don't be a big team then". Thats the mentality you're up against. As long as the game looks ok on the surface to them, and plays just fine in the short term for them, the vast majority don't care whats going on under the hood. Its a game to some, and a simulation to others. You can't put skill levels on that without pissing off one set over another.

By the way I'm not talking about those on both sides who've took part in this thread, I think everyone knows on here that the issue isn't simply a case of who or where you manage.

See my idea about a shift in emphasis away from SI created skill levels and over to player made ones.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/24018-Wishlist-What-you-would-like-to-see-in-future-versions-of-the-game.-All-list-ideas-in-here.?p=7295781&viewfull=1#post7295781

Something along these lines is the only way the masses would accept skill levels because they're nicely hidden away, totally optional, and don't ruin Timmy Mourniho's fantastic achievement fantasy of taking [insert non-league team here] to Champions league glory in 6 seasons, because he did it on the "easy setting".

We have to be given the tools to up the difficulty ourselves, and not just by imposing stuff like LLM rules or using an attribute hiding skin.

hugo_rune- and all others who think that to be a manager of stronger club is easy job in real life, you dont know much about football, im 100 % sure about that. Do you really thing its easier to be manager of lets say Tottenham, then Barnet? O yes, manager of Barent has more pressure on his back, lol. THats why manager of Tottenham is in hospital right now. Manager of low league club can be in hospital only after heavy eating and drinking after the game with his players.

hugo_rune- and all others who think that to be a manager of stronger club is easy job in real life, you dont know much about football, im 100 % sure about that. Do you really thing its easier to be manager of lets say Tottenham, then Barnet? O yes, manager of Barent has more pressure on his back, lol. THats why manager of Tottenham is in hospital right now. Manager of low league club can be in hospital only after heavy eating and drinking after the game with his players.

Just ask Ancelotti, Scolari, Mourinho, Grant, Hiddink, Ranieri, AVB...So true, I want to play with my favorite team Chelsea and be challenged - I don't however as in FM, I will be much better than Mourinho apparently.

Anyway, took a look at the other thread you suggested. Something along the lines is what I am on about - I don't really care if it is the editor or the actual game settings. If you can manage the AI's ability to pick tactics, make transfers and play matches that would be enough for me to enjoy playing FM with my favorite clubs and not have to resort to the fun of taking Darmstadt to German champions in 5 years time.

I really hope SI pay attention to that thread and agree with Erasmus' suggestions. Was there any response from SI members as I can't be bothered to scroll through 76 pages :)

We're not talking real life, we're talking simulated FM world, there is no real pressure to get to you, your not going to lose your job if you dont win the league, nothing like reality. The point they try to make with that statement is, if you pick a team with the best players dont be suprised to do well, your both right, none of us are SAF or Morinhio, if we were we wouldnt be wasting our time with FM.

I haven't seen yet a valid reason to not adding difficulty levels but if any forumer or better SI could enghlithen us up I would be glad to read them and express a opinion.

If you have 3 difficulty levels in the game, it needs to be developed and balanced for 3 levels and it has to be tested on all 3 levels. The increase of possible bugs and man-power it would use to develop and test it is something that could become a nightmare for a smaller software company.

If you have 3 difficulty levels in the game, it needs to be developed and balanced for 3 levels and it has to be tested on all 3 levels. The increase of possible bugs and man-power it would use to develop and test it is something that could become a nightmare for a smaller software company.

Spot on :)

I am pretty sure I said it twice already. If they can't do it, can they please let us know so that I can forget playing FM from now on? I am aware this is a possible reason, but they should let us know, not just ignore such an important game-related discussion. Mind you they sold A LOT of games this year, if they spent less on stupid advertising on TV and more on game development, maybe that would be a solution. Every fan of the game knows when the game is released, we don't need to be reminded every 2 hours on Sky Sports 1.

I just want an answer on whether it can be done and whether they will try doing it - I know it is a lot but 30 quid for a game I can't enjoy is a lot, too.

well your new here so you wouldnt know but they have said they will avoid the difficulty settings as much as possible, thats not to say in the future maybe, but for now they work on the game rather than spend time adding difficulty levels. It may be a case of they cant do it as much as they dont want to do it, there are so many variables in FM, i think adding difficulty levels would be very very hard and probably more trouble than they are really worth.

OK, so I and I don't know how many die-hard fans are not worth their effort? If after a discussion this long, they still refuse to go the right way, it says only one to me - we don't care about you. If it literary can't be done, they must say why it can't be and I haven't seen an answer like that. I can say for sure I am not buying any more FM games until this issue is addressed.

btw, do you have a link to a thread where they have hinted they wouldn't do anything about the issue? I know they are against it but I have not seen it in writing yet, I am just curious.

Archived