THE BETTER HALF´S Tactic & Training Center***Updated With TEAM TACTICS***

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The First post updated with the following tactics

12.2.2 PLUG & PLAY TACTICS - UPLOADED-

Wide 42121 ( Direct Counter) for Underdogs/Middleteams - Promotion with Posh, Hudds & Morecambe

Deep 4231 ( Direct Counter) for Underdogs/Middle Teams

Wide 451( Direct Counter) for Underdogs/Middle Teams- Great Result with Stoke 2011/12

Narrow Diamond( Direct Counter) for Underdogs/Middle Teams- Top of the table with Norwich 2011/12

Deep 442( Direct Counter) for Underdogs/Middle Teams - EPL Winner with A.Villa 2011/12

Narrow 41221 BOX MIdfield for Top/Middle/Underdog Teams

TheBetterHalfs

Top Team/Middle Team / Underdog Tactic

The 352

This small set consist of 4 versions that are to be used as plug & play tactics. The first version is a " Underdog/MiddleTeam High Press", the 2nd a "Underdog/MiddleTeam/TopTeam Lower press" and the 3rd " Is a "High Press version for top teams only".

Playing as an underdog, the main versions are the naturally the Underdog ones. If you feel that you have the ability to disturb the opponent by putting a hell of a lot more pressure on them, then use the high press and if you are more scared that you might be dragged out of position by this superior team, then use the lower press version. When seeing that the team stops to close down as a unit, Its also a good option to use the Lower press version, no matter what teams you are or what team you are facing

Now, the 4th versions then. Well, its a "Compact and Tight" version used when one wants to sit with men behind the ball and keep possession when breaking up attacks. This does not mean that it will see you have 60+ % possession but it will let you keep it when needed, often restricting the opponent to having their share of the possession in undangerous areas. This version is to be seen as a compliment to the Lower press version only here, we dont seek to get the ball forward as soon as possible.

Notice that if wanting to use all 4( or 3 of them) in one save, you have to put them all into the match prep and maybe rename them so that you can tell the difference ( as only the first 10 letters or so are visible)

“Its not about the amount of possession but instead where you have it and where you restrict the opponent into having it “

-Various of people

formationy.png

The 352 - Why trying something that clearly does not work ?

As many of us know, its impossible to replicate the 352 we all see teams playing, no matter if its Juventus or any random Scottish team. The Match Engine simply does not allow the DCs to spread out, the fullbacks/Wingbacks to join the attacks late rather than ahead of the ball when using counter attacks, etc etc.

But if we can forget about these issues, lets just enjoy using this formation for what it is in FM

The Players

Fcleft - Your normal Deeplying Forward

…but he does not aim to setup other players but instead he acts more like a linkman, acting in the hole like a Target man on support. I prefer this player to be strong so he is able to hold off the opponent. If he is good in the air, you will see some really nice headers late in attacks when the main goalscorer below has opened up space deep, having stretched the defence. PPMs like “comes deep to get ball” or “plays with back towards the goal” are really helpful.

FCRight- An advanced poacher

This player should be the main goalscorer. He needs good off the ball stat along with agility and pace. If using a player here that likes to come deep, then this works to as long as the other FC don’t have the same PPM

MCright – Attacking Midfielder

This player moves into channels and makes runs from deep often. If you have a MC/AMC that likes to get inside the area and that knows how to score goals, this is where you play him. As this player also helps out bigtime in closing down the opposition, its good if he knows how to.

Mcleft – Central Midfielder

Your normal Central Mid used in a supporting role. As he roams to find free space, its good if he knows how to

DMC – Deep Creative Complete DMC

- This player is a more creative ballwinner, sitting deeper and denying space as well as hitting killer balls from deep. He is given lots of creative freedom so if you don’t have a player here that is smart enough, then lower this to a level more appropriate

Wingbacks - Looking at their settings in the TOP TEAM version and you will find they are different. Use the on that suits your players. ( better crossing, then use the " cross often" setting. Better passer, use the "t-ball often "setting). In the other versions, they are set the same.

Here, it´s crucial to have players that can handle running up and down the field, joining attacks, crossing to setup a goal, closing down and opponent. These are perhaps the most important players in the team as failing to get the correct players here and you will suffer

Outer DCs - Cover

Not much to say here really other than that is a big plus playing left on left and right on right

Central DC-Stopper

Here we use a stopper that also holds onto the ball, keeping possession until the outer DCs, the DMC and the rest of the team have provided more passing options

Tweaks and Shouts

As its a plug & play Tactic using classic mode, I use no tweaks(apart from the mentioned focusplay) and shouts are enabled

Opposition instruction

I have not used any at all but feel free to use them in a manor that suit the actual formation. ( i.e NOT showing MR/L wingers inside if they use overlaping fullbacks

Playmaker & Target Man

None is used

Match prep

There is no focus area that i crucial for the flow of the tactic. If you face a team that are great at set pieces and might focus on attacking set pieces as their only chance, use defensive set pieces. If up against a team you know are going to play really deep and compact BUT have poor attackers, then use attacking movement. If up against a team with really pacey and agile FCs, then use defensive positioning etc etc. Naturally, I use Team Work on a heavy workload in preseason but remember that when using a focus area that relates to the match plan ( like def positioning), the workload have no impact what so ever.

Pitch Size

Looking at the tactic and the circumstance, and you will see the following. Also Notice that if only using the lower press version or the TOP TEAM version, my advice would be different

•-Close down heavily: Meaning that the bigger pitch, in theory the bigger area to close down. So teams with players lacking in stamina would prefer a smaller pitch.

•Focus the play through the middle: If the pitch is really short, there will be congestion in the middle will struggle to find space.. If the pitch is too long, the gap between our midfield and our strikers will be too long though

•- Its a tactic for underdogs, hence opponents are likely to push up and use the width or the field, : Here, a really wide pitch means that these quality players will get too much space

•- The deep d-line and the balls into channels - As we play a deep d-line, we can actually use a long pitch and as we play a more direct game, putting those t-balls into channels, we would benefit from this long pitch in our attacks to.

So, in short, I would go for a normal length and narrow pitch for underdogs but a wider one for top teams but as there as pros and cons to everythingm, I leave you with these thoughs to reflect over

Examples of versions used

Naturally, I switch ingame as a reaction to what I see on the pitch but these would be my strarting choices

Arsenal

H Wigan – High Press Top Team

A Wigan - High Press Top Team

H Man U – Tight & Compact

A Man U – Tight & Compact

H Tottenham - High Press Top Team

ATottenham - Tight & Compact

Everton

H Wigan – High Press Underdog/Middle

A Wigan – High or Low Press Underdog

H Man U – Tight & Compact or Lower press

A Man U – Tight & Compact or Lower Press

H Tottenham - High Press Underdog/Middle

A Tottenham - Tight & Compact or Lower Press

Blackburn

H Wigan – High Press Underdog/Middle

A Wigan –Low Press Underdog

H Man U – Tight & Compact or Lower press

A Man U – Tight & Compact or Lower Press

H Tottenham - Tight & Compact or Lower Press

A Tottenham - Tight & Compact or Lower Press

DOWNLOAD LINK, CLICK ME

The Results

Its still trial and error using this formation but I have got really good results with Arsenal, Everton and Blackburn

Results from users

2012062400001.jpg

my favorit tactic is 4-2-3-1 with 2 cm's, not deep... the 3-5-2 really good tactic, Ive played a few games with nice resultes in my really small polish team

i am not refering to this last tactics. I am refering to the first tactics that this post should be about. Sorry for my english

Thats great ! Are you playing with PSV, Sweden or a different team ?

Also, how do you find the defence, is it stable enough ?

in my inter fun save, i bought ola to try him out 3-4 games he score and assist like messi,havent tested enough yet... will test some during the weekend with different teams. defence seems ok, changed to the tactic mid season so its not even fluid, yet to loose with it, wins vs napoli and roma, do u use corner bug? i score a few from corners, also Sneijder is great as the right midfielder :D i always struggle to get him to perform

in my inter fun save, i bought ola to try him out 3-4 games he score and assist like messi,havent tested enough yet... will test some during the weekend with different teams. defence seems ok, changed to the tactic mid season so its not even fluid, yet to loose with it, wins vs napoli and roma, do u use corner bug? i score a few from corners, also Sneijder is great as the right midfielder :D i always struggle to get him to perform

The corner setting might be a little exploiting as others have pointed out. I on the other hand actually dont score that many from corners. It might be down to that I dont set the corner takers or use a good enough header and the correct place, making it unexploiting etc.

Dong hesitate to upload any screens

Cheers

The corner setting might be a little exploiting as others have pointed out. I on the other hand actually dont score that many from corners. It might be down to that I dont set the corner takers or use a good enough header and the correct place, making it unexploiting etc.

Dong hesitate to upload any screens

Cheers

might do that,thinking about trying it at lower legue

Could you please help me with creating or finding a tactic for man utd?

Really want to get into a long term save over the summer, used a lot of tactics which massively overachieve in the first season and then cant perform in the second :(

Could you please help me with creating or finding a tactic for man utd?

Really want to get into a long term save over the summer, used a lot of tactics which massively overachieve in the first season and then cant perform in the second :(

I know. Its just that its probably not down to the tactics but to man management. Naturally, I will help you with it anyway. Question: Would you consider a narrow version not using any wingers ? I was thinking about the Narrow 41221 BOX midfield in combination with the 4123, using both the AMCs and outer FCs with players like Young, Nani,Rooney etc

It would basically be just 2 versions. One attacking( the 41221BOX) and one TIGht & Compact ( the 4123)

Thoughts ?

im picking up a save that i have with villa.... i played away to spurs ( 1-1 ) and i think i spotted a issue... for quick strikers there is a gap in defence,between the wb and the defenders,tottenham and defoe found that area and ripped my defence apart... that gap was sooo dangerous,also bale ran in that gap creating a bit of havoc, some 1v1´s when they hit a cross to the open space behind the wb

im picking up a save that i have with villa.... i played away to spurs ( 1-1 ) and i think i spotted a issue... for quick strikers there is a gap in defence,between the wb and the defenders,tottenham and defoe found that area and ripped my defence apart... that gap was sooo dangerous,also bale ran in that gap creating a bit of havoc, some 1v1´s when they hit a cross to the open space behind the wb

Yes, thats the issue with using these 352 version. It not something that can be fixed if wanting to play on the counter. The wingbacks just bom forward regardles of settings and the DCs dont spread as wide as one would like. Naturally, you could use specific man marking but then again, the Dcs would really need to be quick

Yes, thats the issue with using these 352 version. It not something that can be fixed if wanting to play on the counter. The wingbacks just bom forward regardles of settings and the DCs dont spread as wide as one would like. Naturally, you could use specific man marking but then again, the Dcs would really need to be quick
have you tried with higher closing down settings on the outer dc´s? maybe that makes them drift more on the sides? or maybe they just push up

btw,have u tried to do a roy hodgson / Lars Lagerbäck tactic?

Yes, the lagerbäck is actually more or less the Deep 442 further up in the thread. Zonal marking, deep MCs, quick wingers, one deep fc and one advanced. Naturally, you could set the FCright to be the Zlatan role, a TQ, but as this was for underdogs in the league system, most c´lubs dont have a player like that. Using a player like Zlatan though, t would be great with the TQ role

Yes, the lagerbäck is actually more or less the Deep 442 further up in the thread. Zonal marking, deep MCs, quick wingers, one deep fc and one advanced. Naturally, you could set the FCright to be the Zlatan role, a TQ, but as this was for underdogs in the league system, most c´lubs dont have a player like that. Using a player like Zlatan though, t would be great with the TQ role
just want a tactic that are soooo solid defensivly, like sweden during lagerbäck era,and like hodgson vs france, i enjoy a 1-0 or 2-0 win way more than a 5-3 or 3-2 win

just want a tactic that are soooo solid defensivly, like sweden during lagerbäck era,and like hodgson vs france, i enjoy a 1-0 or 2-0 win way more than a 5-3 or 3-2 win

You can have that, if you get the players with really good stats in those that matters. Decision, determination, concentration team work etc.

Remember that this is easy to achieve with top team in FM and if looking at the results of LL, they where considered a top team in the Q-round and then they build from that when facing teams better than them in the group stage in EM/VM. IN the knockout round though, the opposition are aways too good though, and then they conceeded, just like a middle team will do when giving the opponenets with players like Rooney, R.v.P would do in the EPL

i am trying the 4-4-2 deep with udinese adn great sucess, top 4 in table at jan break,clear cl group winners infront of real madrid,won those matches with ease... only worrie is that i let in a few more goals than i like, a question, i bought de jong a striker from some dutch club,u think he fit as left or right striker?

i am trying the 4-4-2 deep with udinese adn great sucess, top 4 in table at jan break,clear cl group winners infront of real madrid,won those matches with ease... only worrie is that i let in a few more goals than i like, a question, i bought de jong a striker from some dutch club,u think he fit as left or right striker?

I would say FCright ( no matter if its Siem or Luuk)

is luuk... so season over,ended up 2nd, awesome acievement, conceded 36 and scored 75 1 point from legue winners inter... overall a awesomeseason, about corner bug,well, i scored 14 on corners 1 more than 2nd team milan on 13 goals,so not extreme... how should i play next seson? use more higher press more often or? oh,and won italian cup and qurter in CL

Ive tried your 4-4-2 with Auckland City (predicted to win the league and have stand out players for the division) and I am struggled to finish 4th (league of 8). I used the top team version.

I'm using your 4-2-3-1 (top team) with Zenit and have just played out a 0-0 draw with Tom. Struggled to create any chances using attacking possession.

I just don't think your tactics are for me. They may well work with others and I admire your effort in this thread and agree with many of your theorys behind each strategy. But FM this year is 90% motivational based and 10% tactics though so maybe its my team talks I need to address (even though I get a majority green reaction from most).

• 1 month later...

I get upset with the match engine sometimes, my favorite tactic of all time is Denmark's 1984/1986 3-5-2 going 3-1-6. Seeing Laudrup at Swansea made the memory of it return, part of me hopes he tries it out with them but the current system is working superbly. Was trying a Libero out the other day (Vermalen) he got into some hilarious positions bombing forward!

• 2 months later...

The 352 Diamond

- Set of 4 versions for FM13 using " Classic Tactic", so it wont load in FMC

352diamondformation.png

Notice that this is just a beta, just like the game

DOWNLOAD LINK BENEATH

http://thebetterhalf.freeforums.org/352-diamond-tactic-set-t94.html

THE VERSIONS

Personally, I use this set to suit my managerial preferences. In some saves, I focus on building a team that relies on quick breaks that uses players with good stats in Strength, Aerobic and Tactics. Here, I am more likely to use COUNTER and OVERLOAD. In some saves, i try to build a team that focus on on passing and possession, using players with good stats in Tactics, Ball Control and Attacking. Here, I will be more likely to use ATTACKING AND CAUTIOUS POSSESSION

OVERLOAD

Attacking, quick, direct with the aim to overload the opponents defence. We play with a really high line of defence and when getting into possession, the ball is quickly played onto our advanced.

ATTACKING POSSESSION

Here we play attacking with lots of width with the aim to drag the opponent out of position and make them loose their defensive shape. Possession ?. Well this is the aim anyway. Its not your ordinary possession tactic that produces lots of passes or 75 % possession though. In fact, none of the versions do. To be able to use the most of the pitch we not only use lots of width but also the length of the pitch, hence the slightly deeper d-line than your ordinary possession tactic The aim is to approach the opponent with the ball and drag them out of position by player movement with AND without the ball.

COUNTER

Quickish, direct and one the counter. Here, the aim is to exploit an already open space rather creating one.

CAUTIOUS POSSESSIONHere, the aim is to keep the ball by playing slow and compact, players evaluating every situation one more time before making an easy pass to a team mate. Here, its not about scoring many goal but to control events on the field that we otherwise would not be able to control. Never mind a poor shot on target ratio. It basically happens instead of us loosing the ball in dangerous positions

THE PLAYERS

Central Defenders-Nothing special

DMCright - Creative passer/Deep Playmaker

DMCleft - Anchorman/ Defensive Mid/Ballwinner

Wingers - The better the team you are, the more complete they have to be. Alsmot like Box2Box Wingers

AMC - TQ with Work rate

FCRight - Deepcoming FC / Complete FC

FCleft - Advanced FC/Poacher

Latest Result

chaltonresults.png

TBH do you reckon its worth starting a long term save on the updated beta or should I wait till the final release?! Will more things change ME-wise?

I know this is a tactic thread, but thought you would be able to give a good answer.

Wait until the release and just use this time to play around with the game. Tactically, there is no reason to wait, but its more fun to do it with the full game, using facepacks, logos, skins etc

I have just fininshed 13 different sets that are just slight tweaks from the one I used in FM12 and there is very little difference in results :D

Wait until the release and just use this time to play around with the game. Tactically, there is no reason to wait, but its more fun to do it with the full game, using facepacks, logos, skins etc

Cheers, I'll probs do that then! I've got all my facepacks, logos etc ready so im all set up to go on friday!

I think I'm going to do a long term save with Athletico Madrid as they are a team with a lot of potential but still have much improving to do to really challenge in Europe and even within their own league. Just been looking at your tactical sets over at fm base, the 352 diamond looks very interesting so i'll be keeping an eye on the thread to see how it develops!

The Narrow 4123

Download link

4123formation.png

- Set of 4 versions for FM13 using " Classic Tactic", so it wont load in FMC

THE VERSIONS

Personally, I use this set to suit my managerial preferences. In some saves, I focus on building a team that relies on quick breaks that uses players with good stats in Strength, Aerobic and Tactics. Here, I am more likely to use COUNTER and OVERLOAD. In some saves, i try to build a team that focus on on passing and possession, using players with good stats in Tactics, Ball Control and Attacking. Here, I will be more likely to use ATTACKING AND CAUTIOUS POSSESSION

OVERLOAD

Attacking, quick, direct with the aim to overload the opponents defence. We play with a really high line of defence and when getting into possession, the ball is quickly played onto our advanced.

ATTACKING POSSESSION

Here we play attacking with lots of width with the aim to drag the opponent out of position and make them loose their defensive shape. Possession ?. Well this is the aim anyway. Its not your ordinary possession tactic that produces lots of passes or 75 % possession though. In fact, none of the versions do. To be able to use the most of the pitch we not only use lots of width but also the length of the pitch, hence the slightly deeper d-line than your ordinary possession tactic The aim is to approach the opponent with the ball and drag them out of position by player movement with AND without the ball.

COUNTER

Quickish, direct and one the counter. Here, the aim is to exploit an already open space rather creating one.

CAUTIOUS POSSESSIONHere, the aim is to keep the ball by playing slow and compact, players evaluating every situation one more time before making an easy pass to a team mate. Here, its not about scoring many goal but to control events on the field that we otherwise would not be able to control. Never mind a poor shot on target ratio. It basically happens instead of us loosing the ball in dangerous positions

THE PLAYERS

Fullbacks - The better the team you are, the more complete they have to be. Almost like Box2Box Wingbacks

DMC - Anchorman/ Defensive Mid/Ballwinner

MCRight - Creative passer/Deep Playmaker

MCLeft - Hardworking Box2Box

FCRight - Inside Forward

FCCentral - Advanced FC/Poacher

FCleft - Inside Forward

Latest Result

4123results.png

The Asymmetric 451

If wanting to use a AMR and a WBLeft, then just mirror the fullback/wingback, the AMCr to AMCl and the 2 Mcs

Download Link

newcformation.png

Not that fun to watch but its the points that counts.Here, I have been playing around with an asymmetric formation. The versions are still the same 4 as in my recent sets in FM12

THE VERSIONS

OVERLOAD

Attacking, quick, direct with the aim to overload the opponents defence. We play with a really high line of defence and when getting into possession, the ball is quickly played onto our advanced. Very few runs with the ball to make sure that tear the opponents defence apart by moving the ball rather than dribbling..

ATTACKING POSSESSIONHere we play attacking with lots of width with the aim to drag the opponent out of position and make them loose their defensive shape. Possession ?. Well this is the aim anyway. Its not your ordinary possession tactic that produces lots of passes or 75 % possession though. In fact, none of the versions do. To be able to use the most of the pitch we not only use lots of width but also the length of the pitch, hence the slightly deeper d-line than your ordinary possession tactic The aim is to approach the opponent with the ball and drag them out of position by player movement with AND without the ball.

COUNTER

The players are the followingDMC - Anchorman

MCright - Creative passer

MCleft - B2B Ballwinner

AMC - Any really

AML - Quick and with good crossing

FC - Complete FC for top teams, Quick poacher for underdogs mainly using Counter and Cautious

The 352 with Sweeper & Wingbacks

Download Link

352swwbformation.png

THE VERSIONS

OVERLOAD

ATTACKING POSSESSION

COUNTER

THE PLAYERS

Wingbacks - The better the team you are, the more complete they have to be

DMC - Anchorman/ Defensive Mid

MCright - Creative passer

MCleft -Box to Box Ballwinner/ Central Mid - He needs to be strong

FCRight - Deepcoming FC / Complete FC

FCleft - Advanced FC/Poacher

• 1 month later...

I've actually been using your '271 TD versions' (for FM12?) to great effect in FM13. My only gripe is I seem to really struggle to break teams down sometimes and the attack version rarely seems to work. Saying that, I've still dominated with the other three versions most of the time.

I also tried the asymmetric 451 but just couldn't seem to get going with it and scrapped it. Probably my own fault though as I maybe didn't give it enough time.

I'm going to give the narrow 4123 a go next season. I'll let you know how it goes if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...
271 TD versions seem to be the most effective for me. I also prefer the way the team plays.

Yeah. The "TD" versions from FM12 are the ones ( amongst the 451 with Wingbacks) that in theory should be working the best once the game is fully patched up. All other versions are more or less to be considered workarounds for different ME´s. I think that ones that final patch is out, all the FM12 Tactics as well as the ones build just for FM13 should be working really good

Archived