The 'How Do I Pronounce That?' Thread sponsored by David Pleat

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a funny read lol.

I have a couple in my team.

Bosko Milcic Doesn't look hard but I've never been certain if I was saying it right lol I go for 'Bos-co - Mill-chitch' but have been known to say 'Mill-chick' as he's from Montenegro (not like I know if that makes a difference or not lol).

Tsvetomir Todorov This chap is from Bulgaria, I usually go for 'Vet-omeer - Tod-o-rov' Assuming the the 'Ts' is silent.

David Swärdh Swedish Right Back... Not a clue how to say this guys name.... I stick with David lol. At a guess I'd have to go with 'Sw-aar-d' though.

Andrija Vrhovski I'm pretty certain I've got this one right with 'And-ria - Ver-hov-ski'

Ercan Atilgan This guy is from Turkey.. Think i'm spot on with how to say it right. I go with 'Er-can - Atil-gan'

Bosko Milcic - Bos-kho Mil-chi-c

Tsvetomir Todorov -Zvetomir Todorov

David Swärdh- I cannot tell here i am from eastern europe and i ussually hate nordic names hard to pronounce.

Andrija Vrhovski - And-ria - Ver-hov-ski' correct ;)

Ercan Atilgan - Ercian Atil-gian , when you have turkish players it's and "i" that you ussually put to pronounce their name .

David Swärdh Swedish Right Back... Not a clue how to say this guys name.... I stick with David lol. At a guess I'd have to go with 'Sw-aar-d' though.

The letter Ä is pronounced like the a in the english word 'stand'. The 'h' at the end is silent, pretty much just a spelling variety, as is the 'w' instead of a regular 'v', and should be pronounced as a your average english 'v'. So, pronounce it like 'svärd', with the pointers on the 'ä' above.

The swedish word 'svärd' means sword, by the way.

Having trouble with pronouncing the name of my spanish regen.

Alberto Guillén

IIRC then ll is pronounced as soft 'j' (estonian) - in english it would sound like y but with emphasis.

é indicates that emphasis (? - damn I suck in filological terms) is on the last part of the word.

So altogether it should sound like gui-yeen or smth. like that.

I'll give these a go.

Joonas Lehtola - Joo-Nas Lay-Tola

He's Finnish, so each letter is pronounced exactly how it's written. In 'Lehtola' emphasis is on the 'Leh' on h is relatively strong and can be heard. Finnish pronounce single t (also k and p) quite brief and softly, sometimes it even sounds more like d (i.e. Laitinen sounds like laidinen). Although this is not very significant as h in front of t makes t also a bit stronger.

We seem to be past the Polish stage and I may have missed this one, but Przemyslaw Kazmierczak is one I seem to remember from a while back.

I believe the general rule is z is pronounced as 'sh' and w as 'v'

Krzynowek = Kryshnovek

Przemyslaw Kazmierczak = Prshemyslav Kashmiercshak

Having trouble with pronouncing the name of my spanish regen.

Alberto Guillén

Gee (as in Geese)-yen (smooth sounding - no particular emphasis on any part of the word yen)

Razvan Rat is actually Razvan Raț

In Romanian ț is ts in English or Ц in Russian, so his name would be pronounced as Raz-vahn Rats (Like the Soviet footballer from the 1980's)

The Russian Club is ЦCKA (CSKA Moscow) so its actually ts-ess-kay-ah, whereby the Ц acually stands for tsentralny.

Ć is Serbo-Croat is what makes Modric sound like Mod-Rich

Gornik Zabrze is pronounced goor-neek za-bz-uh. Zabrze is said quickly and in one syllable.

In Polish the z is the same as English but its combined with other letters it changes its sound (a dipthong):

cz - ch

sz - sh

dz - j

The best way to make the 'll' sound in Welsh I told is to put your tongue on your top two teeth and blow lightly. I think when English people immitate Welsh they make a throat sound (glottal) whereas the actual sound is within the mouth (plosive)

I've got one.

Nediljko Parlov - This croatian regen's first name has boggled my mind since I first signed him! Since he's my best striker, I'd like to show him some respect by pronouncing his name correctly.

I've got one.

Nediljko Parlov - This croatian regen's first name has boggled my mind since I first signed him! Since he's my best striker, I'd like to show him some respect by pronouncing his name correctly.

Should be smth like: Ne-dill-ko. j is not pronounced but it makes previous l sound long and soft.

Should Hugo Lloris not be pronounced U-go Lor-ee?
U-go Lor-reese.

Isn't it a rule in French that you don't pronounce the "s" if it's the last letter of a word and comes right behind a vowel?

I mean, Paris is pronounced Pa-ree. So I would suggest that Lloris is pronounced Lo-ree.

Archived