The 'How Do I Pronounce That?' Thread sponsored by David Pleat

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a Swedish player for Panathinaikos called Matthias Bjarsmyr. The "a" has two dots above it, but as I have a laptop, I can't figure out how to get one of those to appear.

How would this be pronounced? I've been saying "Byerz-meer".

There's a Swedish player for Panathinaikos called Matthias Bjarsmyr. The "a" has two dots above it, but as I have a laptop, I can't figure out how to get one of those to appear.

How would this be pronounced? I've been saying "Byerz-meer".

If the 'ar' part is written like 'är', you pronounce it more like the word 'air'. So I'm guessing it's be Byairz-meer :confused:

That's a Madagascan name. The capital city is Antananarivo. Think Malagasy would be a fantastic language to learn.

Supposedly pronunciation is quite straightforward. It's just that names tend to be long.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all, would like to know how do I pronounce André Schürrle? He is a German. Thanks.

Schoo-rluh is a close approximation. The ü is pretty hard to pronounce correctly if you don't speak german. It's like a double o sound, but with more lip rounding.

Also, unlike english, the e on the end is not silent, so there has to be a schwa on the end, which is like the 'er' in sister or poster.

Hi all, would like to know how do I pronounce André Schürrle? He is a German. Thanks.

For those who can read IPA: [ʃy:rlə] (don't emphasise the y) or [ʃɜ:rlə]

For all the others: Sher-le comes quite close. Sher (like in Sherman) and le (the e like in 'the').

* Bjärsmyr: the "ä" sound is very open before an "r", while r+s becomes "sh", and the "y" is similar to the "u" in "muir".

So I'd transliterate it as "BJAESH-mur"

* Kjæve: that depends on the local dialect... In standard Norwegian the "kj" sound is similar to German "ch" [and Scottish "ch" too?] but longer. However it can be pronounced with "ch" (as in "cheese") or any other "ch"-ish in between...

The IPA symbol is "ç"

"æ", much like the aforementioned "ä" is a very open "a" sound, as in "cat" (American cat...)

Basically like that (the bottom one is better IMO), but with "v" instead of "r". Or "CHAE-ve"... depending on where you are.

P.S. The "å" sound in Håkon is the open "o" [reversed C in IPA] as in "bore"

• 2 weeks later...
Thor-ir Aw-dal-steinsson

The 'ð' is pronounced just like the 'th' in 'the', so Aðalsteinsson would be more like A-th-al-steins-son where the 'th' is the soft 'th' from 'the'.

EDIT: Just noticed RBKalle's post, he actually explains is pretty well. I couldn't find a good English word to explain "stein" in "steinsson", but he explained it pretty well.

Schoo-rluh is a close approximation. The ü is pretty hard to pronounce correctly if you don't speak german. It's like a double o sound, but with more lip rounding.

Also, unlike english, the e on the end is not silent, so there has to be a schwa on the end, which is like the 'er' in sister or poster.

welsh speaker by any chance? always found it makes it easier to pick up dialects and speech patterns of most other languages as a result

• 1 month later...

Having trouble with Norwegian, Swedish or danish names, try wathing the first 40 sec of this video and learn about the Ææ/ä(AE<not spelled in names that way) Øø/ö(OE<not spelled in names that way) and Åå/ (AA<sometimes spelled in names that way)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaScel00B64&feature=related

• 3 weeks later...
got two I would like to know about...

Aleem O'Balogun (Nigerian)

and

Aiden Tuohy (English)

I think the English guy's surname is something like "two-he" but not sure....

Aleem is fairly straightforward - "A-leem". O'Balogun (which seems an odd combination of Irish and Nigerian), would be "Oh-Bal-Oh-Goon".

Somewhere in the thread, I imagine, but...

How do I pronounce Darijo Srna?

Or Dzeko?

The right way:

DA-ri-yoh SUHR-nah - bear in mind that the 'U' is very short; in fact, try to pronounce S and R as quick as possible.

EH-deen JE-koh - 'dž' is pronounced like the j in 'joke'

If anyone needs a perfect pronunciation in Serbian/Croatian, Albanian, Romanian, Spanish and Portuguese including accent, don't hesitate to PM me. Also, I'm familiarised with the Ghanaian pronunciation which is very different from the English one.

Balash ... the õ in Erõs is pronounced like the sound of the u in the english word burn, or hurt.

more like Bolosh Erosh , I am Romanian and we have a lot of hungarian ethnics in our country (sadly)

also I have a weird one for you people

a Malaysian/Romanian which is really weird I had african regens, brazilians and argentinians (with romanian last names!, all born in Romania) but never an asian guy born in asia, with a full asian name

This is him: I nicknamed him Sunil, it's easier for my eyes

sunilprofilepersonal.png

sunilprofileattributes.png

so basically I see 2 possibilities

Sunil Chauwd- Hury

or Sunil Chauwdury (with an aspirated H)

Later Edit:

apparently this regen is destined for stardom

he has PA: 195

and look what I found about his name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaudhary

I had a friend with this surname, born in England to Pakistani parents. She pronounced it pretty much as it's written, effectively excluding the "hu"- this made it chow (as in the Italian "ciao") - dree. That may, however, be an Anglicised (or Pakistani, I guess?) pronunciation.

Archived