The 'How Do I Pronounce That?' Thread sponsored by David Pleat

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd pronounce that as "Seem" "Vers-al-yu-ko"

may be completely wrong though.

His name is Šime Vrsaljko, pronounced - "She-meh Vers-al-yu-ko". You were close. ;)

The letter "lj" is pronounced as "ll" in Villa if you ever heard Spanish commentators pronouncing it.

btw. he'll be better in the next patch as he improved a lot and is the next Dinamo amazing youngster :D

Paul Merson should have a look in this thread and take note :)

I still remember Paul Merson saying "from now on I'm going to keep both feet on the ground and stay on the rails". I retort with than whenever people tell me to stop mixing my metaphors.

Talking of commentator pronunciation, why is it that Alan Parry (I think that's his name) calls Didier Drogba "Didier DeerrrrLOGba" and Real Madrid "Real MahDDDLLLLEEEEEEEEED"? Does he think it makes him sound sophisticated or something?

Ditto the soporific Barry Davies who always tried to confer upon any foreign name the most ludicrous affectations. I lived in Hungary for a while and their top team of the time was MTK Hungaria. The Hungarians pronounce “Hungaria” in much the same way as us, except for a slightly different phoneme for the first “a”. MTK, however, is totally different. Barry, though, pronounces MTK like an Englishman and Hungaria like a demented Sumo wrestler. “Haaaarrngaaaarrrrllleeeeeaiiirrrrrr”

• 1 month later...

This reminds me of when Joe Mercer used to get in a right muddle trying to say Dick Krzywicki (WBA player in the '60s). Me dad and I used to think it a scream as poor old Joe's mouth would twist and turn trying to get the words out. Especially funny for me dad as he was Polish.

Anybody else remember ??

Couple of my regens names I'd like to be able to say properly:

Ivan Tsanev (Bulgaria)

Txema Arrieta (Spain)

Bram Mihci (Holland)

Matteo Langohr (Belgium)

Cícero (Brazil)

tsa-nef (ts as in "lots")

che-ma (che as in "cheque")

mee-chee (as in "cheese", but short)

lahng-ohr

see-say-roh (but omit the "i" sound at the end of "say")

• 1 month later...

Pleat last night was calling Assou Ekotto: Akooto :D

Anyway, how would you pronounce these:

Taufic Guarch (Mexican striker)

Murad Qarayev (Azerbaijani regen)

Will have a handful more when I restart my Rubin save, so any Russian or Uzbekistani specialts, prepare yourselves.

Any help with Tony Rajaonarivo. He's a Madagascan left midfielder for my Chelmsford BSP side.

By the looks of that name and the fact that he's from Madagascar, I'll assume it's in Malagasy.

Taking a quick look at the language's phonology page on unilang.org it would be:

[ra-dzo-na-ri-vo]. Note: /r/ is trilled like Spanish or other Romance languages, /dz/ is like the ending of 'beds' and the accent should fall on the /ri/ syllable (penultimate).

This is in no way exact as it's my first time looking at this language, but I'd assume it's an educated approximation. :thup:

Taufic Guarch (Mexican striker)

- tao-fich guar-sh or possibly gwee-arsh

I would say it more along the lines of Ta-oo-fik Goo-arch

The 'c' at the end of his first name would be a hard ending, like a k. I don't know if that's what you meant welshace, but "fich", to me, looks like it would rhyme with mitch or pitch.

Ch is very much like the ch in "cheque" (as mentioned in an earlier post). It's quite a hard sound too, similar to english. For example "Chiapas" would be Chee-ah-pas, and not Shee-ah-pas.

That's just my 2 cents anyway :o

Vagiz Galiulin (Uzbekistan)

Bibras Natkho (Israel)

Sergey Ryzhikov (Russia)

Vakhit Orazsakhedov (Turkmenistan)

Eugeny Cheremisin (Russia)

Obviously I know the first names, but the surnmaes are the hard parts :o

Vagiz Galiulin (Uzbekistan)

Bibras Natkho (Israel)

Sergey Ryzhikov (Russia)

Vakhit Orazsakhedov (Turkmenistan)

Eugeny Cheremisin (Russia)

Obviously I know the first names, but the surnmaes are the hard parts :o

I think they're all straight-forward with what little I know about slavic pronunciation:

Gal-e-oo-lin

Nat-ko or maybe Nat-ku

Rish-ih-khov

Or-ash-a-kedov

Ker-a-mitsin

I work with Polish people and that and Russian are similar.

I've got a spanish regen with a really interesting name: Gorka Goikoetxea. How do you say his second name, and maybe even, his first?

This looks very Basque to me. I don't really know much about the pronunciation of the Basque language, but here's my shot:

Gor-ka Goy-ko-eh-cheh-ah

I'm not sure if that's anywhere near close tbh, but that's how I'd say it :)

I've got a spanish regen with a really interesting name: Gorka Goikoetxea. How do you say his second name, and maybe even, his first?

There were famous Goikoetxea that played for the Spanish national team.

It was pronounced:

Goy-ke-chey-uh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_Andoni_Goikoetxea

That's one of them. I remember him in the 1990 and 1994 world cups.

This looks very Basque to me. I don't really know much about the pronunciation of the Basque language, but here's my shot:

Gor-ka Goy-ko-eh-cheh-ah

I'm not sure if that's anywhere near close tbh, but that's how I'd say it :)

That's right.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder about my goalkeeper's surname... his name is Gabor Tóth, he plays for Austria but is of Hungarian descent ofc... somebody knows?

Also wondering about Jon Bakero Escudero... is it "Hon"? Sounds strange... and is "Bakero" pronounced simply "Bakero", or in any stranger way?

All of the attempts to correctly pronounce Guilherme is wrong. My boyfriend's name is Guilherme, so I know how to correctly pronounce it. Its a name that comes from Brazil, and is pronounced the same in both Portuguese and English.

Gee (say the word "see" but with a hard "g" like glass instead of the s) - lair (say the word "air" but start it with an "L") - me (just as how you pronounce the word "me").

Syllable breakdown of the name: Gui-lher-me.

Sometimes people with the name Guilherme like to be just called Gui, as my boyfriend does.

Hope I helped. This IS the correct pronounciation!

Agree on most of them,however...

Sergio Hellings = Ser-Geeo Hey-ings (if he's spanish)

Cillian Sheridan = Sill-ian Shear-i-dun

Sam Oji = Sam O-sjee

As A Celtic Fan, And Cillian Sheridan An Ex-Hoops Player, The 100% Pronounciation Is,

Killi-an and then just plain old Sheridan. Like Sheridan Smith Out Of 2pints, boy o boy she's hot :D

Archived