The 'How Do I Pronounce That?' Thread sponsored by David Pleat

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only a quality goalkeeping prospect but a top bloke to. :cool:

I'm definitely not saying you're wrong, in fact the video proves you're right, but for me as a Dutch person it makes no sense whatsoever that Paris is pronounced Pa-ree and Lloris is pronounced Lo-ree-se :D

I've never see him IRL, only in FM. And in FM he kicks ass, to put it in an Eric Cartman kinda way.

Now screw you guys, I'ma going home.

• 4 weeks later...
How do I pronounce "Phil Jagielka". I can pronounce Phil but have no idea about the last name

Ya-gyel-ka

The Poles would pronounce it as Yagyewka.

How would I say Kirill Kurochkin - he's a Russian regen?

Kee-reel Koo-roch-keen.

Victor Irineu ?

ee-ri-new or ai-ree-new ?

Ee-ri-neu

I don't know how "eu" can be represented in English in an accurate way. Maybe something like "eo".

I LOVE this thread. It's important to note that people with different mother tongues will pronounce things differently. If Hugo Lloris moves to Spain he won't be Loree anymore he'll be Yo-rees. But it's nice to know what the original intention is.

Also some players maybe from a certain country but their names will originate elsewhere which means even they may not pronounce it "correctly" - like Jag-ee-el-ka...

Che-Reth. I think. Gotta roll your tongue on the 'r', though.

The first part is more like a hard H sound - like you're clearing your throat a little.

He-reth but don't roll the r. The r is only rolled if there are two like perro (dog) and pero (but).

Canabary explains it perfectly:

Iker Bengoetxea = eek-er Ben-goh-et-che-a

tx is prenounced che in basque. sheh if he's catelonian.

"Aurrekoetxea" Ouch.

Aw-re-coe-tchea?

Nearly - you need to pronounce the middle e:

Ow-re (with a rolling r if you can manage it and re as in red not reach) -ko (like collect) -e (like education not email) -che -a (like apple, not abraham)

Day-vid New-Gent

Day-vid New-Gunt

You get the gist

I think it's New-gent as in gentlemen

I always heard it pronounced Und-love

I always said it End-Love

Love the Pleat-quotes!! When he says Chimbomba I cry like a schoolgirl with laughter. I nearly wet myself reading this:

Someone should tell Pleat that it's Jose "Bosingwa" not "Boss-swinger".

Also Teddy Sheringham likes to be called...Teddy Sheringham.

NOT :-

Terry Sheddingham

Teddy Sheridan

:)

And yes, as someone earlier mentioned - Yossi Benayoun, not "Benna-noon". That always rattles my cage when watching ITV Champions League!

PS. What does David Pleat actually want? Go away. I'd rather listen to wideboy Ian Wright.

Aurrekoetxea

Aw-re-coe-tchea?

Nearly - you need to pronounce the middle e:

Ow-re (with a rolling r if you can manage it and re as in red not reach) -ko (like collect) -e (like education not email) -che -a (like apple, not abraham)

Ha i thought i recognised the name and then i realised it was my player you were talking about from a save-game i haven't played in over 7 months! Well as a tribute to the discovery of knowing how to properly pronounce his name, i'll post a screenshot of the fella in question:

jonaurrekoetxeaprofile.png

I bought him from Bilbao, then sold him to Celtic who in turn sold him on to Inter. Tbh i just always called him Jon :)

Generally u's in Spanish are silent when they're in front of an e (ue, Miguel is pronounced Meegel, with emphasis on gel and a soft g like in great) or an i (ui, Guillermo is pronounced Geeyermo, again with a soft g and with emphasis on yer).

And about Lloris/Paris and the s in the end, it is only pronounced in some names, never in words that end with s. And the final s is only pronounced in names that originate from Latin, Greek and Catalan amongst others. Lloris is originally Catalan but in French you just say Loris.

i remember playing CM2 when it was first released and i always signed Thierry Henry, it wasnt untill he transfered to Juventus that i knew how to say his name i used to prounce him as Theory Henry, Henry as in first name

• 2 weeks later...

Ido Shitrit

Israeli regen.

Just made me chuckle thinking of his first day's training...

ME: "So what's you're name then son?"

Ido: "Ido Shitrit"

ME: "Well I'm obviously pleased you've been potty trained, but seriously... what's your name?"

Ido Shitrit

Israeli regen.

ME: "Well I'm obviously pleased you've been potty trained, but seriously... what's your name?"

:D

I think the "Ido" might be pronounced as "Eedoh", but as for the last name, I'm not sure if it'd be pronounced any differently from how it looks. I'd hope so though.

Ido Shitrit

Israeli regen.

Shee-Reet maybe??

Ido Shitrit

Israeli regen.

That's brilliant.

I still haven't got an answer for:

Ikhtiyor Mamadaliev

Ubeikistan regen.

I pronounce it "Ik-hye-or Mamadal-E-ev". The first name is the hardest part.

I'd also like to know how to pronounce the Bosnian name, Urosevic.

So i signed 3 Argentinians and a Spaniard

Zuculini

Piatti

Buonanotte

Concepción

Zoo-Chu-Lee-Nee

Pee-A-Tee

Boo-On-An-O-Tay

Con-Sep-Shee-On

haha they are just how i'd say them i guess, no idea how they are properly pronounced, probably wrong :p

Victor Irineu ?
:thup:

The -eu part is pronounced as e-oo (short u). Similar to 'Beowulf' (beulf)

So it's ee-ree-ne'u (/irine'u/ in IPA). Accent falls on the e.

A rule of thumb for Romanian names: in almost all cases they are pronounced as they are written (phonetic language).

Ido Shitrit

Israeli regen.

Ee-dó Sheet-reet

There's a newgen called Arild Ryen (Norway)

Also..

Frejlach (Czech)

Cacia (Italy)

Archived