The 'How Do I Pronounce That?' Thread sponsored by David Pleat

how about peguy luyindula? i always thought it was peg-ee loy-in-doo-la but i've never said it with much confidence lol

another one is rene mihelic. i'm not sure whether his first name is pronounced reen or reen-ey

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NO definitely Wu-Cash Fab-ee-an-skee

What he said ^

He has a dark l (ł) in the name, not a clear l (l), thus the start is a "wu".

(it helps that I have a Polish friend who goes by the name of Łuksza, so I had to learn how to pronounce Ł correctly :p)

What he said ^

He has a dark l (ł) in the name, not a clear l (l), thus the start is a "wu".

(it helps that I have a Polish friend who goes by the name of Łuksza, so I had to learn how to pronounce Ł correctly :p)

After all these years, I finally understand why I sometimes see LKS Lodz referred to as LKS Wudz. Thank you!

Actually, the way the English pronounce Kuyt incorrectly as "Cow-t" for some reason.

It actually should sound like "Kay-t" or almost like "Kate".

TBH it sounds more like "Coat" than "Kate", the best way I can describe it is try saying "Coat" and "Kowt" simultaneously, so the vowel sound is between "ow" and "oa".

And the vowel sound in "Dirk" rhymes with "Ear".

Heres some for you...

Musa Razzaq

Krzyztof Oslowski

Lukasz Mieszcsak

Artur Skiba

Kamil Waszlusko

Grzegorz Gorski

Ariel Okrzesik

Tomasz Kocizewski

Lukasz Krymowski

Waldemar Sotnicki

Have fun:)

Also Bacary Sagna, cant say that!!!

Krzysztof Oslowski

- K - shee - shtoff

- I believe the "oslowski" is because of lack of "ł" character in English - so it's O (like in "order") - swo (like in "swap") - ff - skee

Lukasz Mieszczak

- Again, Lukasz is aktually Łukasz, so - Woo - kah - sh

- well, if "e" is what I think it is, then we have problem :D "ę" is impossible to find in English - so let's assume it's "e" :D M - ye - sh - ch (like in "chop") - aak

Artur Skiba

- Arr - toor Ski - bah

Kamil Waszlusko

- Kamm - eel Vah - sh - loo - sko

Grzegorz Gorski

- G (hard g, like in "game") - j (like in french "j'taime", long) - goh - j (this time j is without "ee" at the end)

Ariel Okrzesik

- Ah - r - yea - l Oh - ksheh - see (bloody hell, there's not a single English word which sound like Polish "si") - k

Tomasz Kocizewski

- Toh - mah - sh Koh - chi (as above, "ci" is impossible to find in England) - j (like in Grzegorz above) - ff - skee

Lukasz Krymowski

Kree - moh - ff - skee

Waldemar Sotnicki

Val - deh - mah -r Soh - tnee - tz - kee

Hope it helps, my English isn't really good :D

As a kid, I always wondered how to say 'Peter Ndlovu'. I heard people, including the man himself, say 'Under-love'. But I just never bought that. Especially as I'm sure I vaguely remember him saying even he wasn't sure how it was pronounced!

I think that would be 'Geel-yerm'.

The 'yerm' bit would sound like the word 'air'. The 'lh' is what would make the 'y' sound. And, as I think the name is Portuguese, I think the 'e' on the end would be silent.

But that's all just educated guesswork.

This may seem simple, but Martyn Margarson — as simple as it looks? Mar-gar-son? Or is it some Polish or Eastern European root? Rushden, if anyone is wondering.

Are you sure you don't mean Martyn Margetson, the Welsh keeper that used to play for Man City?

If so, pronounced as spelt. Martyn like Martin, Margetson like Mar-get-sun

As a kid, I always wondered how to say 'Peter Ndlovu'. I heard people, including the man himself, say 'Under-love'. But I just never bought that. Especially as I'm sure I vaguely remember him saying even he wasn't sure how it was pronounced!

I always heard it pronounced Und-love

i'd probably say that at yo-ann.. probably wrong though!!

what about Jussi Jääskeläinen?? always been curious at to what the dots on the a's do (if anything!!)

I've got this Romanian who's first name is 'loan'.

But i've realised that the FM font has tricked me and his name is actually 'Ioan'

Any ideas how to pronounce?

I'd go for ee-yo-an

• 4 weeks later...

Gotta say, the one I struggle with, quite strangely perhaps is the German football team (and town) Aue. I groan every time they win promotion to the Bundesliga because I'm the kind of FM player who likes to do commentary out loud or read out full time scores or whatever and I just really struggle with that one - there just isn't enough substance there for me to get my teeth into! The word is over before I've managed to get more than half a sound out :o

An-ee-set or An-i-set

An-Dri-An-An-Ten-Ayena (kind of like Hyena)

probably totally wrong though

You're spot on. Malagasy is an odd language. Lots of long words, but nothing about how it's pronounced is unusual or unexpected.

This might seem like an incredibly stupid one, but i assumed Didier Drogba was pronounced:

Did-ee-ay Drog-ba

But Motson goes for the:

Dee-dee-ay Drog-baa (elongates the first name and last syllable basically)

I know it doesn't seem much different, but that's more down to my phonetic spelling skills than anything else. Am I being the fool or motty?

btw this is a really under-rated thread :thup:

Zdravko is Zdravko :) All sounds are as written, the a is like in the a in "arm". Z is normally pronounced at the beginning, like in "zed". Pronouncing z, d and r after each other, well, that can be done with a bit of practice ;)

jacques? is that literally JACK-QUE'S? or is it jack-qes?

djourou?

lulinha? the 'lin' bit gets me. should it be "lean" or "lin (pin)"?

Jacques is pronounced like Jack, but the J is 'soft', if that makes sense. It's a sound that doesn't exist in English. Like the J in 'deja-vu'.

Lulinha is pronounced Loo-Leen-ya. But don't overemphasise the 'Loo' bit. It should be said quickly.

Jacques is pronounced like Jack, but the J is 'soft', if that makes sense. It's a sound that doesn't exist in English. Like the J in 'deja-vu'.

Lulinha is pronounced Loo-Leen-ya. But don't overemphasise the 'Loo' bit. It should be said quickly.

ahh. well i might actually play him now i can say his name. thanks.

Musa Razzaq = (MO of Moose)+(SU of sun) (RE of rent)+(a long Z)+(UCK of stuck)

Krzysztof Oslowski

- K - shee - shtoff

- I believe the "oslowski" is because of lack of "ł" character in English - so it's O (like in "order") - swo (like in "swap") - ff - skee

Lukasz Mieszczak

- Again, Lukasz is aktually Łukasz, so - Woo - kah - sh

- well, if "e" is what I think it is, then we have problem :D "ę" is impossible to find in English - so let's assume it's "e" :D M - ye - sh - ch (like in "chop") - aak

Artur Skiba

- Arr - toor Ski - bah

Kamil Waszlusko

- Kamm - eel Vah - sh - loo - sko

Grzegorz Gorski

- G (hard g, like in "game") - j (like in french "j'taime", long) - goh - j (this time j is without "ee" at the end)

Ariel Okrzesik

- Ah - r - yea - l Oh - ksheh - see (bloody hell, there's not a single English word which sound like Polish "si") - k

Tomasz Kocizewski

- Toh - mah - sh Koh - chi (as above, "ci" is impossible to find in England) - j (like in Grzegorz above) - ff - skee

Lukasz Krymowski

Kree - moh - ff - skee

Waldemar Sotnicki

Val - deh - mah -r Soh - tnee - tz - kee

Hope it helps, my English isn't really good :D

Pretty awesome thread. I have trouble with Zdravko Kuzmanovic - think I've nailed the surname (literally kuz-man-oh-vich) but no idea how to say that first syllable. The first name Ezequiel gets me as well (Ez-ee-quee-el?)

I've got Zdravko Kuzmanovic in my team and the way I'd say it would be

zzzd(the z part like a buzzing bee) rav-co Koos-man-ov-itch.

Also Freddie Guarin from Colombia bugs me. I don't know whether to say G-waa-rin or Gur-rin

Couldn't they just be called David Davidson??

Archived