The 'How Do I Pronounce That?' Thread sponsored by David Pleat

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The o's are in fact more like soft d's .... close to the sound of th in the english word "the". Fjardabyggd would be a closer match really if you want to write it - but how to pronounce it? Ask an icelander. I am norwegian - we have lost our viking language of old, the Icelanders still have much of it.

• 3 months later...
Fjaroabyggo? Has little accents over the o's that look like x's. An Icelandic football club that's unplayable at the start of the game.

Full name Knattspyrnufélag Fjarðabyggðar :eek:, basically how is the ð letter pronounced?

Edit: looks like it's just pronounced like a 'd'.

I have had this regen for 7 seasons, never knowing how to pronounce his name. It's Vainer Grasel, he is Brazilian.

I've been pronouncing it vainer (as in the English word) gral, like growl but an ah sound.

I have had this regen for 7 seasons, never knowing how to pronounce his name. It's Vainer Grasel, he is Brazilian.

I've been pronouncing it vainer (as in the English word) gral, like growl but an ah sound.

Well it's not really a Brazilian name. It seems to me more like a German name (there are quite a lot of Brazilians with German roots). However, how a Brazilian would pronounce it would be:

VUY-nehr GRAH-sehw (the Brazilians have this distinctive pronounciation of L close to the Slavic pronounciation)

'VUY' is to be pronounced like 'buy' with v. Vuy. :D

And 'sehw' is to be pronounced like 'sell' but with a 'w' sound insted of l.

I have a Croatian newgen called 'Kristijan Blazevic', I'm guessing Krist-eyan Blaz-eh-vitch?

Almost perfect. But it's not your fault you didn't get it right. FM doesn't reconginze letters like 'ž'. The actual name is Blažević. So it's KRIST-ee-ahn (as the English name/word Christian) BLAHZH-eh-vitch (stress is with caps lock).

FM not recognizing letters like ž and ć may confuse those not familiarized with former Yugoslavian names. An example is that people can confuse č with c and would end up pronouncing names wrong. Just so everyone knows, a simple c and not č is pronounced ts. I can't come up with a player's name with simple c, but a city does come up. Vršac is pronounced 'VUHR-shats' and not 'VUHR-shatch'.

Wojciech:

http://www.forvo.com/word/wojciech/, you can also say "Voytek" (Wojtek), which is a shorter version of Wojciech.

Adrian Cieslewicz:

First take the word "cieśla" (http://www.forvo.com/word/cieśla/#pl) and change its last letter to "e", like the "e" in Wojciech.

Cieśla(e)-vytch

Ask if you want to know any other Polish names ;)

The football commentators in Denmark insist that they have asked the Polish embassy in Denmark, and they said that Szczęsny is pronounced "Stensny". Is there really a 't' and an 'n' sound in there?

It conflicts greatly with what I was told when working in translation, where a Polish translator told me it was something along the lines of what JimbobWWFC said - "Sh-chess-ny".

It bugs me everytime I watch an Arsenal match on Danish tv and have to listen to "Stensny" numerous times. Who is right?

Jakub Blaszczykowski?
Ya-koob Blah-shee-koffs-kee?

I'd agree with the Ya - koob, though the 'oo'-sound is short.

I disagree with the surname, mainly as the Polish 'l' is pronounced like a 'w'. So it should be Bwas-tshee-koffs-kee

Hi all, would like to know how do I pronounce André Schürrle? He is a German. Thanks.

The ü-sound is indeed difficult to translate into English as I cannot think of an English word that contains it. But maybe enough people know the French pronunciation of 'menu'. It's like that u at the end. The rest of the name should be pretty straightforward :)

The ü-sound is indeed difficult to translate into English as I cannot think of an English word that contains it. But maybe enough people know the French pronunciation of 'menu'. It's like that u at the end. The rest of the name should be pretty straightforward :)

I'd say the ü-sound is comparable to the e-sound in the word 'view' or 'few'.

I'd say the ü-sound is comparable to the e-sound in the word 'view' or 'few'.

Veeeery remotely.

Actually, no it's not. There is no 'j'-sound in there like there is in your examples. And the residual sound of your examples is more like the Germans would pronounce a 'u', with no dots.

But indeed that's how a lot of native English speakers end up pronouncing that letter, and there being no equivalent to it in English they are excused to me :) It's just like the Germans who cannot pronounce the 'th' to save their lives...

The football commentators in Denmark insist that they have asked the Polish embassy in Denmark, and they said that Szczęsny is pronounced "Stensny". Is there really a 't' and an 'n' sound in there?

It conflicts greatly with what I was told when working in translation, where a Polish translator told me it was something along the lines of what JimbobWWFC said - "Sh-chess-ny".

It bugs me everytime I watch an Arsenal match on Danish tv and have to listen to "Stensny" numerous times. Who is right?

I'd say they're both right and both wrong. The commentators are right in trying to have some kind of nasal sound in there, but the initial consonant cluster seems way off. I'd pronounce it shchensni. The letter E in the surname has that hook which means that it's a nasal vowel, but a bit different than say French nasal vowels. Now, I'm no phonetics expert, but French nasal vowels are nasal front start to finish whereas Polish nasal vowels start oral and gain strong nasality towards the end. That means you can separate two different sounds within that one vowel: an oral, pretty normal sounding e that turns into a strongly nasalized sound, that pretty much sounds like an N in this instance, probably due to assimilating to the subsequent s sound. So yeah, I'd rather hear them -en- than simply -e-.

Veeeery remotely.

Actually, no it's not. There is no 'j'-sound in there like there is in your examples. And the residual sound of your examples is more like the Germans would pronounce a 'u', with no dots.

But indeed that's how a lot of native English speakers end up pronouncing that letter, and there being no equivalent to it in English they are excused to me :) It's just like the Germans who cannot pronounce the 'th' to save their lives...

Yeah, I definitely meant without the j-sound. It may just be a wrong pronounciation on my behalf, as I am only ½ English, but I'd say I pronounce the word 'few' like 'fjüw'. Maybe you are right about the u-sound though, and it's just when it is preceded by the j-sound that it sound like ü in my mind. Anyway, those were just the English words I could think of off the top of my head that reminded me the most of the ü-sound.

I'd say they're both right and both wrong. The commentators are right in trying to have some kind of nasal sound in there, but the initial consonant cluster seems way off. I'd pronounce it shchensni. The letter E in the surname has that hook which means that it's a nasal vowel, but a bit different than say French nasal vowels. Now, I'm no phonetics expert, but French nasal vowels are nasal front start to finish whereas Polish nasal vowels start oral and gain strong nasality towards the end. That means you can separate two different sounds within that one vowel: an oral, pretty normal sounding e that turns into a strongly nasalized sound, that pretty much sounds like an N in this instance, probably due to assimilating to the subsequent s sound. So yeah, I'd rather hear them -en- than simply -e-.

Thanks for the clarification, it seems I can only be partly annoyed with them then. I guess it's the 'ę' we're having problems with, which is quite understandable considering how you explained it.

i've always had Schurrle as Shur-le

pronounced similar to Shirley (without the ley) for the first part, and then le (as in French the)

another, how about common signing Carlos Fierro

Carlos is down pat (unless it's Car-loas instead of Car-loss)

but is Fierro similar to the great Spanish guy Hierro? or is it something like Fey-err-oh

i've always had Schurrle as Shur-le

pronounced similar to Shirley (without the ley) for the first part, and then le (as in French the)

another, how about common signing Carlos Fierro

Carlos is down pat (unless it's Car-loas instead of Car-loss)

but is Fierro similar to the great Spanish guy Hierro? or is it something like Fey-err-oh

Shirle is maybe the closest thing, indeed.

For Fierro I believe that it doesn't have the stress on the e like in Hierro.

I'd say the best equivalent in English for ü is 'ue' in 'due'.

• 2 months later...

I'm going with Sh-chess-ny considering that's exactly how Janusz Michallik pronounces it on ESPN Press Pass.

Okay two easy ones that I keep hearing two different pronunciations which confuses me.

Kagawa (as in Shinji). Is it "K'gow-wa" or "Kag-a-wa"? The softer Kag-a-wa sounds wrong to me but maybe Sky has it right.

And Abramovitch (Like Roman). Is it "Abra-mo-vitch" or "Abram-o-vitch"?

In English broadcast I hear wrong stress for both of them. For Kagawa, stress the first syllable as in: http://www.forvo.com/word/kagawa_shinji/#ja

For Abramovich, stress the second to last syllable instead of the second syllable. Also, the stress in his first name falls on the latter syllable: ro-MAN

So if I understand your transcript correctly: Kag-a-wa and Abra-mo-vitch.

Archived