The 'How Do I Pronounce That?' Thread sponsored by David Pleat

I have one for you. I can pronounce his first name but the surname defeats me:

I thought it was Vik but then I took another look.

My guess is something like: Vi-lk

I have these in my squad:

Joseba Barandiaran (not sure where to put the pronounciations on the surname). I pronounce it Ba-ran-dia-ran.

Marco Maicano (is it Mai-sa-no or Mai-ka-no?)

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joseba Barandiaran (not sure where to put the pronounciations on the surname). I pronounce it Ba-ran-dia-ran.

Mai-ka-no, definitely.

What David said, but I'd make sure I put the stress on the "ka" part, so Mai-KAH-no.

With the other one, the same thing. Stress is usually put on the penultimate syllable in spanish (I assume he's spanish due to Joseba) - unless there is an accent anywhere - so I'd say Bah-ran-dee-AH-ran.

In spanish, when you have two vowel sounds straight after one another (a diphthong I believe it's called) in most cases both can still be heard clearly, whereas in english we can sometimes mix two sounds into one, or sometimes not pronounce a vowel at all.

Just to give an example, the word neutral. I don't know about you, but i'd pronounce it more like "new-trel" in everyday speech. In the spanish word "neutral" however, you would have to say "nay-OO-trahl", therefore pronouncing both the e and u sounds.

preu.png

I know it's the ß (Eszett) but I have no idea how to pronounce it in a word. Is it just "preuss"?

And he's a brilliant player - I was actually considering selling him last season but he responded with two outstanding seasons.

Joseba:

yo-SE-ba ba-ran-dia-RAN

Marco:

mai-KA-no, unless it's written Maiçano (in which case it's mai-SA-no)

I think they're all straight-forward with what little I know about slavic pronunciation:

Gal-e-oo-lin

Nat-ko or maybe Nat-ku

Rish-ih-khov

Or-ash-a-kedov

Ker-a-mitsin

I work with Polish people and that and Russian are similar.

Similar to a certain degree since both are Slavic languages, but not quite as similar as you make them out to be. At least not the way you've translated some of those names.

Sergey Ryzhikov (Russia)

This one is Ri-zhi-kov. The zh does not sound like sh, but is pronounced the same as the z in Dzeko for example.

Vakhit Orazsakhedov (Turkmenistan)

Ora-za-he-dov. The kh makes an h sound like in the word hello for example.

Eugeny Cheremisin (Russia)

Che-re-mi-sin. This is where many people make a mistake in terms of Russian. The Ch is not pronounced like a K, but is the same sound as in the word chair for example. It may make the same sound as K in other Slavic languages, but not in Russian.

I wonder about my goalkeeper's surname... his name is Gabor Tóth, he plays for Austria but is of Hungarian descent ofc... somebody knows?

Also wondering about Jon Bakero Escudero... is it "Hon"? Sounds strange... and is "Bakero" pronounced simply "Bakero", or in any stranger way?

It's Yon. Bakero is pronounced as it's spelt.

Inspired by my friend and his creative way of saying names :D I thought I'd create a thread in which tells other how to pronounce some of the more, cultured names in FM.

I'll start with...

Nabil Khcharem

and one that my friend had trouble with was.... wait for it.... Bogdan Stancu!

Hmmm I'd say "nab-eel keh-char-em" and (obviously) "Bog-dan Stan-Choo".

Listening to Motty in the Euro's though I'm sure there's hundreds of pronunciations! "Villa.....Viyya.....Villya"??

If anyone knows how to pronounce Balazs Dzsudzsak without getting a headache I'd appreciate it....

I always celebrate scoring with Stancu by saying 'Stancu (stank-you) very much' as in 'thank you very much'. Doesn't really work with Stan-Choo.

jh-wow moo-teen-yo(from my portuguese friend)

Moutinho is easy, it's the same as Mourinho, just with a T instead of a R.

I have doubts on these:

Imre Császi (Hungarian)

Lajos Gombkötõ (Hungarian)

Robert Ispir (Romanian)

Viorel Trutã (Romanian)

Cüneyt Erkin (Turkish)

Tarik Genç (Turkish)

I have doubts on these:

Imre Császi (Hungarian)

Lajos Gombkötõ (Hungarian)

Imre Császi: Imre Chah-sie - sie as at the end of Van Persie, the first name... you pronounce the "i" as in "it" and the "e" as in "then"

Lajos Gombkötő: first name is Lahyosh, surname is quite difficult to explain... "G" as in "get", the "ö" and "ő"... well, you know how to pronounce the "ø" in Sørensen? Roughly the same thing.

I wonder about my goalkeeper's surname... his name is Gabor Tóth, he plays for Austria but is of Hungarian descent ofc... somebody knows?

Tóth is easy, you don't pronounce the "h" at the end, and you pronounce the "ó" as in "old"-

• 2 weeks later...
My Best Players

And my youths

Öner Çakmak (Turkey)

Muzaffer Ipek (Turkey)

I believe it would be Uh-ner Cha-mak (The uh like a sort of soft grunt, possibly like the kind you'd hear in an adult movie, and the 'a' sound is a bit heavier, like between an a and an o) and and Moo-zaffer Ih-pek. The stress almost always goes on the end of the word I think. Btw if anyone needs any help with Greek names I'm your man.

Pretty easy one here if somebody can help.

I have a defender called Tonhão from Brazil.

I thought it would be something like Ton-yao (like Yao Ming) but my knowledge of Brazilian names isn't very good at all. :(

Alex Texeira

I say his name a different way every time!!!

A-lex Tay-Shay-ra

The surname is spelled Teixeira, not Texeira.

Pretty easy one here if somebody can help.

I have a defender called Tonhão from Brazil.

I thought it would be something like Ton-yao (like Yao Ming) but my knowledge of Brazilian names isn't very good at all. :(

The "nh" part in Portuguese (which is Brazil's language) is pronounced like the "ñ" in Spanish. The "ão" is pronounced completely different from the "ao" in that name, but it's very hard to explain for English speaking people how to pronounce it as that sound doesn't exist in English.

I'd say Tu-share-uh, at least thats how they pronounce Teixeira of the New York Yankees

They are Americanizing the pronunciation.

The "ei" part is pronounced like the "ay" in "nay" and x = sh.

• 2 weeks later...

I always just pronounced it pretty much like you say it, as in Treh-quart-ist-a. I suppose it could be Tray-quart-ist-ah, or Tray-quar-tee-stah, however.. I've never actually heard it used in real life before. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Balázs Dzsudzsák:

zs sounds like the first sound in the French name Jean. dzs sounds like the first sound in Jack. a is like in car, but it's a short vowel, and á sounds like the vowel in bus, but long. And u sounds like the vowel in foot.

I guess bol-azh joo-juck is close enough.

How do you pronounce:

Amine Huybrechts

Ah mean HOU BRECHTS (HOU as in house, but with a slight Y sound at the end, then 'brechts' using the Scottish 'ch' of 'loch')

Just like Cruyff/Cruijff should be pronounced. Not Croyff, but CR UIJ (as above OU as in house, with a Y sound) then FF

Jari Litmanen: Jah-rih Lit(as in literature)-mah-nen

Finnish names should be really easy if you know the letters, as everything is basically pronounced as it's written. "ii" is just a long i sound. Finnish "i" is pronounced as the English "ee". "ä" is the a sound in sad.

• 5 weeks later...

Or the mentally named Dutchman Wim Kuijte?

'uij' is a combination that only occurs in surnames and it is pronounced as if there was only 'ui'. The same goes for 'uy'.

For many names with an 'ui', all three forms exist:

Kuit/Kuijt/Kuyt

Same thing for ei: eij = ey = ei.

But remember that this only happens in names.

So Kuijte is pronounced as Dirk Kuyt and adding an "uh"

Archived