Harper

The 'How Do I Pronounce That?' Thread sponsored by David Pleat

959 posts in this topic

Time to wake up this legendary thread. Dutch help needed this time.

Ricardo van Rhijn

Indy Groothuizen

Peter Leeuwenburgh

Ricardo van Rhijn

Indy Groothuizen

Peter Leeuwenburgh

Van Rhine

Groot-how-zen (theres a golfer called Louis Oosthuizen, I'd assume it's the same pronounciation, but could also be Groot-weeze-en)

Looven-burg or Lewen-burg, depending where in the Netherlands you're from :p

Matias Kranevitter

Been pronouncing it Krah-Nay-Vitter but it doesn't seem right

Also, Ladislav Krejcl.

And it's Krejci.. pronounced Lad-is-laf krAy'chi

Van Rhine

Er... no.

In Dutch and German, V is almost always pronounced as F. Without using phonetic writing, it's more like "Fan Raen". Listen here, about 0.40 in:

Er... no.

In Dutch and German, V is almost always pronounced as F. Without using phonetic writing, it's more like "Fan Raen". Listen here, about 0.40 in:

Right enough, I've obviously been watching Robin FAN Persie all these years, eh? :rolleyes:

Edit - Having watched the video, sounds like he's saying Van Rhine to me.

Right enough, I've obviously been watching Robin FAN Persie all these years, eh? :rolleyes:

Yes you have. Believe it or not. In fact, it's "Robin Fan Pear-see" - "Robin" with the same R-sound as van Rhijn in the video. ;)

It sounds almost like a V, yes, but there is a subtle but clear difference. Just like there is a difference between the two TH-sounds in English ("ð" and "Þ") that many non-native speakers have a hard time with...

How about the Arsenal youth player Ilias Chatzitheodoridis?

I read it as Ill - ee - ass Chatz-ih-theo-dorr-eeedis?

more fun than fan

True. It is so hard to write things "phonetically" without using the actually phonetic alphabet - and on top of that, being Danish, I have to keep in mind how an English-speaker would pronounce the spelling I choose... :lol:

Nick-lass Shoe-lay would be my uneducated guess.

-> for Niklas Süle

The s is soft, like a z in English.

The ü does not have any exact match in English. It's pronounced like the u in the French pronunciation of the word 'menu' (if you are more familiar with that)

the e at the end is not spoken as broadly as -ay would be. It's rather pronounced like the second a in 'manager'.

The first name is like Nicholas without the o

hth :)

Ricardo van Rhijn

Indy Groothuizen

Peter Leeuwenburgh

Differing from the first answer:

Ricardo fun 'rhine

Indy 'Groathuyzen (the 'g' being spoken very smokey, bit like collecting spit from deep in the throat, the r being rolled a lot)

Payter 'Laywenburg (that 'g' again..., just a hint of w in there)

Ricardo fun 'rhine

It is still important to note, though, that the R is not an "English" R. It also has a bit of that "throaty" quality like the G.

By the way, I'm kind of amazed that this thread even exists. Why don't people just google the names and find a YouTube video where it's pronounced in the native language?

It is still important to note, though, that the R is not an "English" R. It also has a bit of that "throaty" quality like the G.

By the way, I'm kind of amazed that this thread even exists. Why don't people just google the names and find a YouTube video where it's pronounced in the native language?

The r is rolled too and the 'ijn' is also a bit softer than the -ine would be, but I didn't want to overcomplicate things ;)

Anyone know how to pronounce the Albanian striker for Inter, Ray Manaj? Read online that you are not meant to pronounce the j but not sure how to say it otherwise.

Again, YouTube is your friend: ;)

Rey pretty much like English "Ray", but with a more Dutch-sounding R (as described above).

Manaj with long and a short A, something like "Maa-nai"

Slight thread revival, but have a few for my current game and didn't want to start a new thread!

Sead Kolasinac (no idea on either of these)

Ole Kristian Selnæs

Ladislav Krejci

and a regen with the surname Aguirretxe

Ze-add kolasheenats

oo-le christian selnes (simple one)

Ladislaf kray-chee

Aguirretxe is different to Agirretxe but the latter is pronounced 'Aggi-retche (long rolled)

The website Transfermarkt has now added the pronounciation of a player's name on most of the Euro Championship players' profiles :thup: