An FM Career - Now With Added Bitterness.

hursty2

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heinze looks a decent partner for Nagy hope they click and get the goals you have been lacking. Bit of luck and I think you can get a bit closer this year to the European spots.

I'm just worried Heinze is a bit too young and that he will benefit from a wider formation rather than my narrow diamond.

Some good deals there. Good luck.

Cheers man. :)

MID SEASON UPDATE – JANUARY 31ST

PREMIER LEAGUE

What a season so far! We sit in third position after 23 games, only losing three of those games. Everything seems to have clicked, the defence is conceding very little goals and we have had some very big victories throughout the season as well as some amazing turn arounds. I could be even higher up in the table had it not been for 8 draws, usually coming in spurts. Brilliant results against the top 6 teams have also seen us prosper, our record against them being – W3 – D3 – L1. Things are definitely looking up, with maybe the chance of a birth in the Champions League next season. What an achievement that would be!

StokeCityFixtures_Fixtures-2-2-1-1.png

BarclaysPremierLeagueStats_PlayerStats.png

AstonVillavStokeInformation_Overview.png

LEAGUE CUP

I wasn’t too bothered about this competition yet again as it puts too much strain on your squad early on in the season and I don’t really have a big squad. I played fringe players in our 2nd round clash with Peterborough, losing 2-0.

FA CUP

The third round put me up against my own feeder club Barnsley and we dispatched of them with relative ease winning 3-0 away. Then we came up against another lower league team in the form of Barnet (A), where we won 3-0 and progressed into the fourth round. There we will face fellow Premier League team Aston Villa.

KEY PLAYERS

Fabian DelphHe has yet again been my best player so far this season earning an average rating of 7.40, contributing 7 goals and 4 assists.

Chris SmallingThe new signing at the Britannia Stadium has added needed solidity to the right back position and now is attracting enquiries from the like of Barcelona.

Ryan ShawcrossFive times consecutive Fans Player of the Year, Shawcross is still the main man at the back of my defence and England’s too.

Andras NagyWell wow, has he come alive this season or not?! He has already surpassed his league goal tally from last season, currently sitting on 11 goals.

TRANSFER UPDATE

Expensive flop Roberto Firmino just wasn’t performing which meant I didn’t play him ahead of Fleck, this then led to him moaning about not playing often. I told him he had been rubbish and he wouldn’t play for the foreseeable future, which angered him more. I transfer listed him for 9.75M and only days later, struggling Inter Milan matched that with the full amount up front. I snatched them up on the offer and he duly left in the January window. I bought no one in the transfer window even with the departure of Firmino as no one really took my fancy.

LiamHurstNews_Inbox-2.png

Even the assistant thinks I'm a legend for that come back.

END OF SEASON UPDATE 2016-17

PREMIER LEAGUE

An outstanding season here, 5th position but it could have been so much better! We were sat in third for the most part of the season but two consecutive losses to teams around us pushed us down. Even so, only being pipped to 4th on goal difference to a very strong Man City side is some achievement. I have now finally completed my first goal of breaking into the top 6, earning me 3rd place in the Manager of the Year award.

Helping us on our way to 5th was the outstanding goal scoring record from Andras Nagy, getting his highest ever tally of 19 league goals.

BarclaysPremierLeagueOverview_Stages.png

BarclaysPremierLeagueStats_PlayerStats.png

StokevWiganInformation_Overview.png

FA CUP

Another great performance by the team in this competition, making it all the way to the final but for the second time this season getting beaten by Man City. They won 2-1 in the final and to be honest we didn’t really show up and they deserved to win.

KEY PLAYERS

Fabian DelphHe was amazing for me the whole season and during the latter part of the season scored three important goals to ensure our spot in the top 6.

John FleckWasn’t so good for the first part of the season but absolutely turned it on in the second half of the season, earning himself a place in the Team of the Year and also coming runner up in Football Writers Association Player of the Year.

Andras NagyAs mentioned earlier he had his best season so far contributing 23 goals, definitely what I have been missing in previous seasons.

COMMENTS

An absolutely brilliant season! Everything seemed to click this season and we went on amazing winning runs beating teams we would have lost too last season. Our record against the old ‘top 6’ was a decisive factor. If we’d have won the FA Cup the season would have been even better! As for next season I need to bring in more quality in depth so I can challenge in Europe. I also feel it’s time to start blooding some youngsters into the team, therefore I’ll be looking to do that more often.

In other news it is rumoured that Peter Coates is going to sell the club to another board member but before he leaves, Britannia stadium is to be increased by 8 500 seats taking the capacity up to over 45 000.

PREMIER LEAGUE: 5TH (Champions Arsenal)

LEAGUE CUP: 3rd Round (Winners Man City)

FA CUP: Final (Lost vs. Man City 2-1)

EUROPA LEAGUE: Real Madrid (3-2 ET vs. Tottenham)

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: Barcelona (2-0 vs. O.Marseille)

SEASON PREVIEW 2017/18

Media Prediction: 7th

Board Requirement: Europa League Qualification

FA Cup: 6th Round

League Cup: N/A

Europa League: 1st KO Round

TRANSFER NEWS

It’s not really been a busy transfer window for me, with no notable transfers to comment on. Only three players have come in but all are young players with a lot of potential. No established players came into the team as I felt that there were no players available for good value. However, I have high hopes for the youngsters, Markus Mayer (1.7M), Philipp Roth (1.2M) and Tonci Piric (free) – they will still add something to the squad but I don’t expect any immediate fireworks. Piric was one of the options I had last season when looking for striker and when he became available for free this season I simply had to. Even if he doesn’t perform I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to sell him on for a profit. Mayer is a defensive midfielder with the potential to be better than Elm and it looks like he will have to start the first game of the season with both Wilson and Elm out through injury. Finally Roth, bought from Man Utd, is a young attacking mid who will provide cover for Fleck and hopefully he will progress well.

Last season, I forgot to mention this young signing from Portugal, who has the potential to be an amazing left back. At just 15 he was already playing for the U21’s.

This season I looked through my reserves and youth squad, realising that it was very bloated. I duly went on a spree of releasing a massive amount of players with little potential.

TOP EPL TRANSFERS | LUCAS MOURA – MAN CITY (32M)

TEAM REPORT

I’m still quite pleased with the players from last season but can’t help but think I should have made at least one big signing. Maybe a player that will just light up the league but sadly I couldn’t find such a player. The youngsters in my squad now though are very good and all bodes well for the future.

Players such as Fleck, Delph and Nagy will again be integral to my season so they better showcase the same form they showed last season.

StokeCityTactics_Overview.png

CLUB NEWS

There has been some quite important events within Stoke City this pre-season. Firstly, chairman Peter Coates has left the club and replacing him is another board member Keith Humphries. He has also taken with him 20M in which we have to pay 85K per month for.

The club has also undertaken yet another stadium expansion of 8250 extra seats taking the capacity above 40K, costing the club approximately 11M. The expansion will be completed at the end of September.

StokeCityFixtures_Fixtures.png

EUROPA LEAGUE 4TH QUALIFYING ROUND

1st Leg

Stoke City – 6

Andras Nagy (1)

John Fleck (9, 43)

Robert Huth (17)

Dennis Heinze (79, 88)

Partizan – 0

An emphatic victory here, which all but saw us qualify for the group stages, Nagy with a goal in the first minute to pick up where he left off. From then on it was an onslaught with Fleck and Huth getting in on the action, Heinze rounding the scoring off with two quick goals.

2nd Leg

Partizan – 2

Milos Dobric (6)

Lucas Cataldo (25)

Stoke City – 2

Ryan Shawcross (81)

Andras Nagy (85)

The tie was well and truly over and therefore I played all the fringe players and youngsters. It started to worry me when they scored two inside the first half and I thought they were mounting a comeback. I didn’t want to let that happen so I brought on some real quality just to make sure, Shawcross and Nagy getting two late goals.

Group Stage Draw

Group C

Sporting CP (Portugal)

Stoke City (England)

Steaua Bucharest (Romania)

Kayserispor (Turkey)

An interesting draw in which I should probably easily qualify from, the only challenge expected to come from Sporting CP from Portugal.

Some nice signings, all look pretty decent. Couldn't turn down Piric on a free and Peixoto has class, despite his young age - he'll develop into a top player.

Also, great European qualification - should see you get through the groups without too many problems.

Stoke-on-Trent has a population of around 240,000 and the club also pulls fans from neighbouring Newcastle-under-Lyme (population around 75,000) given the town doesn't have a club anywhere near Stoke City's level. The thick people of Stoke and those that live in Burslum (sic) are the ones that support Vale.

There are also two major universities (Staffordshire and Keele) so there are a good few thousand students that make up the population who are unlikely to support either club.

Archived