Wont start in offline mode?

Hi guys can anybody help?

Brought the laptop to work today and when asked whether i would like to retry to a internet connection or start in offline mode it will not let me start in offline mode for some reason?

It states it could not connect to a steam network? Weird i never asked it to.

The game has been installed on my laptop at my home and have played in offline mode before but today it will not start.

Any ideas chaps?

Thanks

I have the same issue but have not had time to troubleshoot yet. I will test over the weekend and get back to the thread (unless it is solved before then of course).

I got round the issue by temporarily connecting to internet to start the game, then disconnected internet again. Not sure if that is an option for you.....

I have the same issue but have not had time to troubleshoot yet. I will test over the weekend and get back to the thread (unless it is solved before then of course).

I got round the issue by temporarily connecting to internet to start the game, then disconnected internet again. Not sure if that is an option for you.....

I have tried an internet connection as i plugged in the cable from works internet to my laptop but still get no connection. The only difference is it trys to update and then cuts out and says there is no connection when there is a connection and then it still will not let me connect offline?

Frustrating to say the least

This is one of the main problems for me with Steam. It can cause problems if you are someone who is sometimes connected to the internet and sometimes not connected (rather than always being connected or only being connected once to activate the game).

Basically, if you set Steam to offline mode and never go back into online, you shouldnt have any problems. The problems come when you allow Steam to flick between the two modes (ie Steam automatically goes online, or you set it online, when you have an internet connection).

What can happen is that Steam will start to automatically update either itself or one of the games you have installed through Steam, and if you turn Steam or your computer off, when you try and load Steam up next time and play it wont let you switch to offline mode because you were in the middle of an update. I have had this problem quite a few times and it is very frustrating. There is nothing you can except connect to the internet, allow Steam to finish updating, and then you should be able to play the game.

The only thing you can do to prevent this from happening is always keep Steam in offline mode (you will miss out on updates), or make sure when you are turning off your computer when you have an internet connection you make sure you set Steam to offline mode before turning off your computer and that it isnt in the middle of any updates.

Yeah, appreciate the feedback.

Its just starnge because ive plugged in the works cable for internet and it still wont connect for some reason but last night i was playing it at my house through wifi.

I have in the past disconnected the internet and just turned it to offline mode and it has worked nut not this time.

The update processed fine last night and was playing it after the update finished.

Archived