Error = " The game currently unavailable. Please try again at another time ".

Frankly after reading this and other bits on the forum I think I'll skip this one - I can't see any benefit Steam brings to me as a user and I frankly don't want to end up faffing around trying to start a game.

Yea 100% concur, I am a noob at this. I remember where FM games used to be about the easiest of access and could've been played anytime. It gave a sense of security and a sense of consistency(as in like the feeling where you can go to any Burger King in the world and you know exactly what to expect) of a basic cell phone game like snake yet the fun factor of one of the most deepest games.

Plus previous version of FM such as 2011 are still good games and would more than do that job as I have learned.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea 100% concur, I am a noob at this. I remember where FM games used to be about the easiest of access and could've been played anytime. It gave a sense of security and a sense of consistency(as in like the feeling where you can go to any Burger King in the world and you know exactly what to expect) of a basic cell phone game like snake yet the fun factor of one of the most deepest games.

Plus previous version of FM such as 2011 are still good games and would more than do that job as I have learned.

But there also easily pirated

Frankly after reading this and other bits on the forum I think I'll skip this one - I can't see any benefit Steam brings to me as a user and I frankly don't want to end up faffing around trying to start a game.

You mean apart from (generally) quick and easy access to your game(s), auto-updates, not having to hunt around for that CD of the game you haven't played in a year and a half and, last but not least, having all your steam-registered games in one place, in an intuitive program? I've been using Steam for a few years now and apart from the odd day or two of downtime and occasional individual game issues (I'm talking about 2-3 days out of 500+), I haven't had any major issues of note. I'd wholeheartedly recommend Steam to anyone.

RAGING!! after spending an hour trying to get the game to work after all the crap with steam i get 4 hours into my game and it say an error has occured and need to close this application down, now whats that all about? i pay £30 for this game and its not working properly i want an answer as to y its doing it as im not playing it again for it t unexpectdly to close, and im no saving my game every week, very very very unhappy here :(

OK - I have easy access to my games, they are on a shelf, I could get patches from appropriate websites and they generally had auto installer.

Fair enough, if you're organised enough (I'm terribly disorganised) then having games on a shelf is relatively quick access (though, to continue my original point, still not as quick as Steam, where you just click on the game and it loads, no CD load times, etc.) and if you are diligent enough to keep checking for updates, then I suppose the auto-update isn't too much of a benefit either. I appreciate it's a matter of personal choice but in my opinion Steam and digital downloads in general are really quite useful, let alone far easier and more reliable (no risk of CD corruption, loss or damage), and seem on track to become the sole means of buying and acquiring PC games. I'm not surprised that SI/SEGA have taken the decision to go down the Steam-only route.

Guys I had same thing, had to do cache thing twice but now update is starting to download.

I purchased disk version as I dont think you should have to deal with Steam if you dont want to. And although auto updates are fine, there is more than one example where an SI update has corrupted many games, that is my main worry I am years into a game - one stray update and the game is gone.

Steam should be optional if you have bought the disk version, fair enough for those people who want to use steam - but it should not be forced onto anyone. This is clearly because selling a game through steam is so much more profitable.

This issue is a major one and could cost many game players, as has been said I dont have as many hours as I used to play and I really cant be bothered messing around with steam every time I want to play. Really, really disappointed in SI over this.

So, I've been trying to play FM12 for the past hour. In my library, it says FM12 - Download starting but nothing happens even after leaving it for 20 minutes and if I try to launch the game it says validating files then successful but I then get a message saying "steam servers are too busy at the moment". Anyone else with a similar problem?

EDIT: Tried the verify cache thing several times with no change.

When i do the cache validation it takes a few seconds and says it is successful, i then click play and the "Preparing to launch football manager" box appears then disappears then nothing. When i try to quit steam it tells me to shut down FM first :mad:

Thanks to the good advice on page 1 of this thread & comments by Neil, mine after several Verifications decided to start downloading the update. It took at least three verifications, along with two reboots of the steam client. On the third try it then started downloading. Have to say it's pretty poor how this has updated but pleased the SI chaps are on hand to help us out.

Same sort of issues for me, which were all easily resolvable using the cache business. Not ideal as I thought Steam would advise me when a download was downloading, and a warning that "Game is unavailable; please try later" is initially a bit disturbing if you don't know what's going on. I'm definitely no technophobe, but this was an irritant for me and a hassle I didn't expect. It's no dig at SI, but my experience of the wider FM platform has been tarnished to a minor degree by the Steam interface.

I came on here because I wanted feedback on whether I should buy the game. Its safe to say I won't buy it. Why should the person who's payed a lot of money have to verify cache and fix the mistakes steam and SI have made. It's not as simple saying well download 100 mb file when some players have a limited internet usage policy and can't download these files every few weeks

Thankfully I've come on and seen this. Now I don't want no childish insults just because I'm not buying it, I've given my reasons and I hope SI will improve value for customers

Same sort of issues for me, which were all easily resolvable using the cache business. Not ideal as I thought Steam would advise me when a download was downloading, and a warning that "Game is unavailable; please try later" is initially a bit disturbing if you don't know what's going on. I'm definitely no technophobe, but this was an irritant for me and a hassle I didn't expect. It's no dig at SI, but my experience of the wider FM platform has been tarnished to a minor degree by the Steam interface.

have to agree with this

Got the same error message on my laptop. Have to say I'm hugely disappointed, angered and frustrated at this whole "Steam-thing". Theres been nothing but problems all the time, from trying to download the demo, trying to play the game, trying to play a network game with my brother (with the game installed on my two computers). Have used hours trying to get in touch with steam support, searching in here and in google. Now I am completely fed up. And its a huge shame because I rate FM the definite best managergame released. But the frustration over this - in other words, Steam - I will seriously look into other games like CM and FIFA manager. But before I reluctantly say goodbye to FM for now, I'm seriously wondering what the arguments are for fixing something that isnt broken? FM worked beautifully fine wothout Steam, and could have done if using Steam was optional. :( :( :(

Same fun, fun error for me. I've followed the instructions and the update has been downloaded/cache verified multiple times, but to no avail. Never had any issues with Steam before so I'm not going to start calling for heads to roll. Tis mildly annoying, especially as I've switched it on to play as NBA 2K12 has been spanking me all evening.

FM, you're not giving me the comfort I was hoping for...

Same fun, fun error for me. I've followed the instructions and the update has been downloaded/cache verified multiple times, but to no avail. Never had any issues with Steam before so I'm not going to start calling for heads to roll. Tis mildly annoying, especially as I've switched it on to play as NBA 2K12 has been spanking me all evening.

FM, you're not giving me the comfort I was hoping for...

I did it this way, verified cache once and then closed Steam, reopened Steam and verified cache again, when I was sure it had finished counted to 10 and clicked play.

I did it this way, verified cache once and then closed Steam, reopened Steam and verified cache again, when I was sure it had finished counted to 10 and clicked play.

I've just tried this - I even counted mississippily. It's fine, it's just delaying me shouting at Arshavin. If a full restart doesn't help...erm...perhaps I can verify another 48 times :)

The SI forum support is and has always been very good, I won't argue that- I'd go so far to say I don't know another company which is as dedicated to sorting out issues raised, and for that they're to be highly commended. The two Neils, Bertie, all of those guys, do an excellent job of keeping patient and talking irate people through things to get their game working, and that's fantastic.

But that still doesn't change the fact that there appears to have been no in-game or in-client information about the update (as there wasn't for the "licensing issues" one detailed here), and that is a problem. If the game needs to be updated, it needs to make the user aware of that and, ideally, get the user to confirm the update. It should not just do it on its own, and if some people in this thread are saying that even turning off automatic updating didn't stop it, that's also a concern. In this case, it looks like it didn't even tell the user that it was an update which was required, just that the game was "unavailable", leaving people to turn to the forums to try and find out why. Yes, the answers are there, but the onus shouldn't be on the customer to search and find them when all they want to do is play a game they've paid for.

I think this sums it up perfectly,i came onto the forums spitting feathers because i couldn't play the game but found this thread which explained what i had to do and have had no problem since,however there must be thousands of people out there who haven't got a clue whats going on with their game and chances are they have never visited this site so how will they know how to resolve issues with the game starting.

verifying method works thanks neil.

but it is a total joke that we have to do this to play the game weve payed for! great game supported by this awful steam junk. i hate having it installed on my computer, FM takes longer to load up as it has to wait for steam then i get all these steam popups when i quit FM! WTF! SI should hang their heads in shame at making us use it. the game is 2 steps forward and steam takes it 3 steps back! rubbish

feels good to vent :)

DIE STEAM

For me, no. For you, I assume not. You have to remember though that FMs user base is not that of something like Fallout. A hell of a lot of FM users are not computer/net savvy, but they've always (traditionally) been able to install it and play - even if they have to fiddle about with downloading a patch at some point. While most of us will automatically google something that doesn't work, the vast majority of computers users will not.

Sorry but the most basic of computers users know how to use google and search something on it.

I have tried the earlier suggestions, however in my steam library it only has the FM editor and FM Resource archiver, am I missing something here or should it also have FM 12 because checking the validity of the editor and resource archiver is having no effect (they are %100 fine by the way) and FM12 is not automatically updating itself, what do i do?

I have tried the earlier suggestions, however in my steam library it only has the FM editor and FM Resource archiver, am I missing something here or should it also have FM 12 because checking the validity of the editor and resource archiver is having no effect (they are %100 fine by the way) and FM12 is not automatically updating itself, what do i do?

if you downloaded it through steam it should be there, or did you install from disk?

I have tried the earlier suggestions, however in my steam library it only has the FM editor and FM Resource archiver, am I missing something here or should it also have FM 12 because checking the validity of the editor and resource archiver is having no effect (they are 0 fine by the way) and FM12 is not automatically updating itself, what do i do?

At the top directly under library clcik the arrow next to "tools" and change it to "All Games"

I'm getting this error as well. I'm all for SI getting sales for the people who play the game but a happy medium has to be struck between preventing piracy and making life difficult for those of us who've supported the game for years... Very disappointed I'm again having DRM issues with Football Manager.

verifying method works thanks neil.

but it is a total joke that we have to do this to play the game weve payed for! great game supported by this awful steam junk. i hate having it installed on my computer, FM takes longer to load up as it has to wait for steam then i get all these steam popups when i quit FM! WTF! SI should hang their heads in shame at making us use it. the game is 2 steps forward and steam takes it 3 steps back! rubbish

feels good to vent :)

DIE STEAM

Tbf you shouldn't have to do this, I've never had to with all the hundreds of game updates Steam has managed for me, to be blunt, this has been cocked up somewhere by someone.

Originally Posted by jase19

for me, as with others, i had to verify the files twice and the game worked without a problem.

without complaining.

so for people not wanting to go back through and actually read how to do it, and would rather ask "how?" and then complain...

1. open steam

2. right click fm12

3. click properties

4. click "local files" tab

5. click "verify integrity of game cache..."

wait for it to complete verifying, then downloading.

exit steam.

restart steam,

REPEAT STEPS 1-5 AGAIN

then you should be good to go.

Sorted...

Frustrating to begin with.

Gotta love the forum.

I must say that I do not expect to pay £30 and then not be able to play the damned thing when I want. I do not think that verifying cache (twice). One major crash dump is an acceptable way to do a patch. Neil said that it is as easier than downloading from a patch from a website.

Scenario 1. Buy game verify with Steam. Play game. no internet access due to Virgin repairing cabinet. Can still pay game no internet needed. Can patch when I want.

Scenario 2. Buy game. Verify with steam. Unable to play due to Virgin reapairing cabinet as game requires steam to run. Unable to find fix as no internet access. Unable to play game. ****** off.

This is not acceptable. Scenarios are fictitious but do happen. Not very impressed. Have brought game since 00/01. Maybe the last unless Steam is dropped. I have played Shogun 2 with steam doing updates without issue why cant they do it properly with FM.

Completely horrendous... Home from work at 6:45, dinner, shower, catch up with family... then sit down at 8:30 for an hours play on the new FM before getting ready for bed only to find it's taken me 30 minutes to get it working. Absolutely shocking and totally unacceptable. I've played FM since Tommy Johnson and Kitson were superstars and I feel totally let down that they can't seem to find a DRM system that doesn't penalise me for actually BUYING the game year after year.

Completely horrendous... Home from work at 6:45, dinner, shower, catch up with family... then sit down at 8:30 for an hours play on the new FM before getting ready for bed only to find it's taken me 30 minutes to get it working. Absolutely shocking and totally unacceptable. I've played FM since Tommy Johnson and Kitson were superstars and I feel totally let down that they can't seem to find a DRM system that doesn't penalise me for actually BUYING the game year after year.

At least you can get it working, iv been trying since six o'clock

I have played Shogun 2 with steam doing updates without issue why cant they do it properly with FM.

Exactly, I've loads of Steam games, never had this problem, I just wish I knew if it's SI or Steam I should be angry with, a name would be even better:lol:

At least you can get it working, iv been trying since six o'clock

Have you done it exactly like this?

1. open steam

2. right click fm12

3. click properties

exit steam.

restart steam,

REPEAT STEPS 1-5 AGAIN

then you should be good to go

Just a note, it wasn't working for me but a system restart and trying again forced the issue.

Can't see how this can be an SI fault, but then Steam have never done this with another game I've used so...oh well, always help in the forums regardless. Thanks all.

Have you done it exactly like this?

1. open steam

2. right click fm12

3. click properties

exit steam.

restart steam,

REPEAT STEPS 1-5 AGAIN

then you should be good to go

Yeah done this many times, can't be bothered trying anymore.

i have just tried to play football manager, and i got the same message, that it was unavailable,

i did that daft verifing thing, now i cannot run it at all and have had to un install it, and got to wait 3 hours again for it to install,

how would i go about a refund, as gamestation wont entertain me???

They will be smart enough to go to steam/fm forums if in need

3 people I work with have moaned about their broken game, they were lucky I knew how to get them sorted, they are not PC people, they do not use forums (basically they are thick :D ), but why should thick people suffer because people steal the game?

I know it may seem like this is all ok, as as we speak there is not a working pirated copy available, although nosing at one of their forums, the releasers were all waiting for the hotfix before attempting a crack anyway (whether that is true or not I do not know). But this is why I was so anti SI using Steam, not everyone is PC savvy like the rest of us, and really people shouldn't have to jump through hoops not just to install the game, but everytime there is an update.

I don't really care if this solution has prevented a pirated copy being released, I still don't think SI should release it this way next year, as this has caused more problems than the 09 release which they admitted was a mistake, so surely this has to be a mistake too? I saw a Sega person type the other day, "our main aim is what is best for us in protecting our game from being pirated", their main aim should be what is easiest for paying customers imo.

Sorry but the most basic of computers users know how to use google and search something on it.

Sorry, but I'd expect the most basic of software that was properly designed to make it easy to organise and play my games to:

1) Not pop up with confusing messages saying "Game currently unavailable, please try later".

2) Not create crash-dumps when clicking on play AFTER its told me my cache is verified.

I should be clearly informed when a patch is being downloaded.

I should be clearly informed why I cannot play a game I have purchased, and when I will be allowed to do so.

If steam is a mature piece of software it should do the basics well.

I don't have any irrational hatred of steam or valve. If steam made my life easier I wouldn't be complaining, I'd be playing FM2012. I dislike steam because I can maintain my software library more effectively manually. I've never had a crash dump in any previous versions of FM after applying a patch. Nor have I ever had it tell me that it was unavailable to play, with no further explanation about why I can't play or when I might be able to do so.

Sorry, but I'd expect the most basic of software that was properly designed to make it easy to organise and play my games to:

1) Not pop up with confusing messages saying "Game currently unavailable, please try later".

2) Not create crash-dumps when clicking on play AFTER its told me my cache is verified.

I should be clearly informed when a patch is being downloaded.

I should be clearly informed why I cannot play a game I have purchased, and when I will be allowed to do so.

If steam is a mature piece of software it should do the basics well.

I totally agree with all of this, up until today Steam did all of those things for me, today was a one off and I'd love to know how it glitched because this was unusual behaviour.

As always it couldn't have happened at a worse time, i.e. when so many people are just (reluctantly;)) getting to grips with Steam for the first time.

No one has to edit anything in the registry, please do not spread complete nonsense like that.

If there is a cracked version it is well hidden because its not on any of the normal pirate sites i visit, what i have seen is a tone of angry little thieves unhappy because they cant play the game for free.

I hope you are no impling that I am a "angry little theif". That I am not, I may not be as savy as most on this site but I more than likely bought my first copy before you even knew what football was.

Archived