Can't run the game post Steam/FM Update

Verify integrity of game cache twice. It's that simple.

I use steam for all my games pretty much, and it very rarely has any problems. Something has happened here, wether it's an error from steam or SI, who's to say?

The problem with having one solution is the assumption that you only ever have one problem.

Or "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

"The game will become unavailable for a short time when the patch is being applied, this is to be expected."

"Verify integrity of game cache twice. It's that simple."

I could have done with this information a bit earlier before I read your threads advising me to mess around with registry and then delete and re-install the game if that did not work.

How about a bit of 'heads up' next time?

• Administrators
No Neil Brock, there is a problem somewhere with steam not applying the poatch, and the patch being unable to be downloaded automatically. One verify integrity of game cache dl's a 40mb which makes the game crash, a 2nd verify dl's a 60mb update which makes the game playable.

Something is happening, that is making steam spasm. Like I said, I use steam for pretty much all my games, no problems, this is no "to be expected" and you lot at SI have done something...

When the patch is downloaded normally and allowed to update it should run correctly. There's a chance it'll need a bit of time to update correctly which is why we've asked people to be patient with this. However, yes it would appear that some people have needed to verify their cache to resolve a problem, maybe related to a slightly corrupted update. Thanks for taking the time to raise it here.

Neil with all due respect, I don't know what is hard to understand about steam not applying the patch automatically?

For some weird reason, you have to start the DL manually by verifying the game cache (twice to get it to work).

Exactly, and this method was only established by user trial and error. Zero warning from SI/Steam.

• Administrators
Neil with all due respect, I don't know what is hard to understand about steam not applying the patch automatically?

For some weird reason, you have to start the DL manually by verifying the game cache (twice to get it to work).

That has not been the case for everyone, for a great number of people and during tests we've carried out it has updated automatically with no issues. We are aware some people have come across difficulties though which have been rectified by verifying their cache.

Calm down people. A massive part of what makes FM so brilliant is the customer support, listening to us, the gamers and implementing our ideas to future patches and versions. With the number of people purchasing the games, SI are forced to evaluate how one simple change will work out over an infinite number of setups.

Add in to the mix that an estimated 5 people downloaded cracked versions of FM11 for every one that purchased the game and you can see the need for 3rd party anti pirating company to be used, We all know someone who can get you a cheap dvd, or downloads a few songs from youtube etc.

The game will work, verify the cache, it re-downloads a few files and you can play the game. I'd rather have half an hour of issues running the game on the 2 or 3 times a patch is released instead of 9 months of a game where the keepers don't receive positioning training, or the game crashes in the MLS.

Add in to the mix that an estimated 5 people downloaded cracked versions of FM11 for every one that purchased the game and you can see the need for 3rd party anti pirating company to be used, We all know someone who can get you a cheap dvd, or downloads a few songs from youtube etc.
No offence but that's not really a helpful, or sensible, premise considering that the only people who are having trouble playing the game are the ones who've paid for it.

• Administrators
That's just a ridiculous ammount of pirates! How did he come up with that number just out of interest?

Through official channels although I'm not privy as to how the information was collated.

That's just a ridiculous ammount of pirates! How did he come up with that number just out of interest?
ninjas + spaceships / superman = pirates :D

To be fair that's actually a huge improvement on the old championship manager, considering they shipped a cracked exe in an unprotected cab file on the production disc. XD

Archived