The Importance of Team Talks

On this version of FM I can't help but feel team talks take on a greater level of importance than previous versions. The tone feature makes it more difficult to understand and get the team talk right than before when we had a limited number of basic options to choose from. I'm sure there is a way of using the tones to get the best results but finding it will take a lot of time to work out. I would guess that players personality will make a difference to how they react in team talks than they did on previous versions. Using the right tone and choosing the right team talk for the correct game is vitally important. When playing higher league opposition away or home who are massive favourites to beat your side it's pointless to tell them aggressively you expect a performance. The better option IMO would be to use a more calm tone and get the players relaxed instead of being nervous. There seems to be a few things we are aiming for in a team talk; motivation, relaxed, happy, fired up along with a few we don't want to achieve; angered, looked stressed and looks nervously.

Whilst playing the first season, I couldn't seem to string any sort of results together regardless of the tactic I used. I imported my previously succesful tactic from FM11 into the game and started to use that but still couldn't put any proper run of results together until late in the season which saw me push up to 15th in the championship. During this time I started to use the "calm" tone during team talks. I couldn't decide wether this helped or not so the start of the next season I went back to using the "assertive" tone once more and went back to having a poor run of games. I returned to the "calm" tone once more and results picked up with me going away to Newcastle in the league cup and winning 2-1.

Anyway so far the best way I have found of doing team talks is to use the "calm" tone at pre match and half time team talks. When addressing the players individually or as the defence, midfield or strikers I then start to use the other tone of shouts to give them a kick up the arse or a arm around the shoulder. This has lead to me producing better results more consistently. What other success have people got using different tones during team talks?

Personally I am not far off the same as you..... Pre Match I will use the calm or passionate options and then at half time assess. I will use assertive for those that need a bit of a boot and calm for faith. So far so good.

Archived