Players Retiring after injuries [Merged]

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players retire for odd reasons too, not just injuries!

http://betting.betfair.com/football/betfairfootball/dan-fitch/7-footballers-who-retired-at-the-peak-of-their-powers-280411.html

Check out Roa, at 29 he retired because he thought the end of the world was nigh!

There have been some Irish players over the years that retired early due to injuries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Sadlier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colm_Foley

This guy http://www.examiner.com/pro-soccer-in-boston/dc-united-s-andrew-quinn-retires-joins-harvard-as-assistant-coach

Paul McGrath

http://www.soccer-ireland.com/irish-soccer-players/paul-mcgrath.htm

Roy Keane

http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/showthread/t-351505.html

Anyway - players get injured a lot. And some don't ever make it back. Some young, some old. That's football.

The key point in this instance is that Ben Arfa will be playing football by Christmas. However you want to look at it, it's a flaw in the mechanics of the game. Either he has the injury and retires straight away, or doesn't retire at all. Not that he recovers, plays half a season of rigourous Premiership footie and then bows out.

Not really, only 4 that Ive seen posted so far, 2 being veteran players.

The game has only been out for a weekend & I fairly sure that most players will still be in the middle of their 1st season, this is something worth keeping an eye on as we will hear about more instances if it is indeed a bug.

As I posted in another thread throughout the entire FM series I have not once had a player retire due to injury so to see people posting about this often under used feature of the game is a little concerning, that being said it will have an upside of forcing AI managers to develop their youth & not stick with the real life players well into their late 30's.

The game has only been out for a weekend & I fairly sure that most players will still be in the middle of their 1st season, this is something worth keeping an eye on as we will hear about more instances if it is indeed a bug.

As I posted in another thread throughout the entire FM series I have not once had a player retire due to injury so to see people posting about this often under used feature of the game is a little concerning, that being said it will have an upside of forcing AI managers to develop their youth & not stick with the real life players well into their late 30's.

Ive never seen it either. I usually only get players retiring because they cant break into the first squad. However if you think about all the players in the game and all the people playing the game only 3 have reported this happening inside their own team, one being myself. The 4th has just been noticed since he found the player as a coach. I still dont think its that big of an issue. How are we to know John Terry or Lucio wont retire at the end of the year?

i personally think its a good feature it makes it realistic ronney could have to retire next week irl if something major happened fergie would be raged out but hey thats just life

Can not see any of this happening in real life soon. The Ben Arfa one is the only one i can understand so far.

i personally think its a good feature it makes it realistic ronney could have to retire next week irl if something major happened fergie would be raged out but hey thats just life
Well yes, but that misses the point - John Terry retiring at the end of next season? He'll be 32! Unless he gets many serious injuries, that's simply not going to happen. John Terry will likely be playing until 34-35 at a minimum.

Well yes, but that misses the point - John Terry retiring at the end of next season? He'll be 32! Unless he gets many serious injuries, that's simply not going to happen. John Terry will likely be playing until 34-35 at a minimum.

He is known to have pain killing injections quite often,so might be quite realistic?

I have had a 34 year old retire due to injury, not a bad thing slashed 2k off my wage bill bringing me under budget!

But we dont know if he got any serious injuries or not. Just says he was released by Chelsea, maybe he just decided to stop playing after being released from a top team. I can understand that.

unfortunately there doesnt seem to be an option to check his injuries but i would assume it was due to injury i couldnt see Terry just randomly being released he played 20 odd matches for them last season

strange things do happen in this game tho..as Blackpool 1st season in Jan i was handed 26 million to spend lol and at the end of first season a line of top players were queing to sign including Tevez, Ashley young, Jordan Henderson all too expensive so i brought in Di Maria for 9 mil from real madrid this def would not happen irl

Maybe this whole retiring thing could use a own thread since, there seems to be a quite many of them. On the subject it is quite strange that so many top players are retiring, and I think this should be looked into. And what comes to that realism i think if he suffers a major injury and maybe there's a decent backup player avaible, I could live with retirement.

I don't think 5 well known players retiring (relatively) early constitutes a crisis considering how many games of FM are currently being played e.g. have there even been two in a single save yet?

Worth keeping an eye on though, never can be sure with these pesky devs;)

got injured and then straight away announced he was retiring at the end of the season ! Tried to convince him otherwise but he was having none of it ! So frustrating and not realistic at all in my opinion.

Didnt know you could try talk them out of it ha.

What injury was it? I had Lucio retire from a broken leg 2 months into my season. Another user had a player retire from a skull fracture and another lost a 20 year old to knee ligament damage. At least the injuries seem serious enough.

Didnt know you could try talk them out of it ha.

What injury was it? I had Lucio retire from a broken leg 2 months into my season. Another user had a player retire from a skull fracture and another lost a 20 year old to knee ligament damage. At least the injuries seem serious enough.

But they are sort of giving up early. In real life footballers try hard to return, and might not succeed, but they will not retire that quickly in most cases. Seems like a good idea, but too "random"?

But they are sort of giving up early. In real life footballers try hard to return, and might not succeed, but they will not retire that quickly in most cases. Seems like a good idea, but too "random"?

Exactly. Take that Matt Bates at Boro. By the time he was 23 he'd had 4 serious knee ligament injury's and he's still playing.

I'd like to know the stats on how many players under 35 in England retire due to injury each year!

I don't think 5 well known players retiring (relatively) early constitutes a crisis considering how many games of FM are currently being played e.g. have there even been two in a single save yet?

Worth keeping an eye on though, never can be sure with these pesky devs;)

I'm just running a 'full detail' test on the demo, 6 months should be enough time to get a reasonable sample of injuries in the UK divisions.

I think 5 reported in the same day as peoples saves progress is pretty serious.

Something not quite right.

Considering the hundred of thousands of people who play the game, it's not. Btw i noticed retirements like this in FM11, never saw threads like this then, it ain't something new to FM12

Does it matter? I'd think that retirements are relatively independent of each other, so it doesn't matter which game it occurs in.

Also, there are doubtless such retirements by users that have not been seen nor reported - these are not the only isolated cases. This is why you only need one bug report to start working on bugs.

I do agree it seems random but I can also understand severe injuries making players over 30 consider retiring. Its just the 20 year old retiring that bothers me.

With todays medical knowledge you rarely see someone giving up after 1 injury. How many PL-players retired in the last 5 seasons due to injury? I guess we will see that those who retired due to injury went through several operations and tried their best to recover. In FM12 Owen Hargreaves would probably be dead a long time ago....

With todays medical knowledge you rarely see someone giving up after 1 injury. How many PL-players retired in the last 5 seasons due to injury? I guess we will see that those who retired due to injury went through several operations and tried their best to recover. In FM12 Owen Hargreaves would probably be dead a long time ago....

it entirely depends on the severity of the injury, both in real life and in FM

Far too early to call it a bug, I agree that it is strange to see is long standing feature becoming more apparent but I think we need to hold off before we call for one of the dev team to be sacrificed to the forum community.

Agree, but name me one "prolific" player who just gave up that easily in the PL over the last couple of seasons. It does happen, but they try harder to return than what they seem to be doing in FM12.

Yes but a injury of the required severity happens once in a blue moon. I've seen Henrik Larson and Cisse(at Liverpool) have their legs totally snapped in half. So bad it made you want to puke to look at the pictures. But they had operations and were playing again in a year.

Of course you get really REALLY bad breaks like David Boost(sp?) but that's very very rare

The point is, in most instances players try to overcome their injuries(like Dean Ashton), before taking the Doc's orders to retire. They don't get a broken leg, then say 'oh well may aswell pack it in'. And they don't come back from injury halfway through a season, play on untill the end of season, then retire due to injury problems. It's a bug, pretty major one aswell.

Archived