• Created
  • Last Reply

Breaking News

33pezr8.jpg

15d44dz.jpg

Manchester City manager Dean Ashton expected to confirm resignation on Friday

• Khaldoon Al Mubarak calls press conference

• Manchester City lost to Leeds in FA Cup 3rd Round

The Board of Manchester City has called a press conference for Friday afternoon when its manager Dean Ashton is expected to announce his resignation

Ashton is understood to feel he has taken City as far as he can following Wednesday's 1-0 defeat by Leeds in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

The 40-year-old will be present at the press conference along with Manchester City Managing Director Garry Cook and Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak.

Ashton, who has been in charge of Manchester City since June 2019, spent yesterday at the Carrington Training ground in Manchester and the only question now appears to be whether he will leave the post before or after the double-header against Fiorentina next month.

Vincenzo Montella is the early favourite with bookmakers to replace Ashton but it is thought unlikely the ex Roma striker would want to take on the role at this current time.

There had been optimism this could be the campaign in which the Manchester City squad came of age but Wednesday's performance was a hugely disappointing start.

With Chelsea hot favourites to win the Premier League again, Ashton admitted defeat by Watford last week was the most embarrassing moment in his footballing career.

Ashton has overseen a huge change in playing personnel, putting an emphasis on youth and fast-tracking youngsters like Roger Aubert, Laert Kraja, Luke Toomey and José Borges into the senior side.

The former Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez, meanwhile, has expressed his interest in taking on the job. The 39-year-old, told talkSPORT he would be interested despite having no managerial experience.

"Absolutely. There's nobody that will be more committed than I am," he said.

"If it was offered to me then obviously I would seriously, seriously think about it. There may be one or two candidates out there that come before me, I may have to wait my turn, maybe three or four years down the line.

"But if you're asking me if I would take the job, absolutely. You'd have to be a fool to turn down the Manchester City manager's job. The only way you get experience in management is by going into a job."

Archived