FM 2012: Aberdeen FC team guide - The Quest for Star Three

Welcome to the Aberdeen Football Club guide thread for Football Manager 2012

hrak5c.jpg

Club background:

Aberdeen Football Club (also known as The Dons, The Dandies or The Reds) are a Scottish professional football club based in Aberdeen. They compete in the Scottish Premier League and are one of the most successful teams in their country, having won four league titles and seven Scottish Cups, including a record three in a row during the 1980s, the only time a team other than Rangers has done this since 1882. They are also the only Scottish team to have won two European trophies, both in the same year, and are one of only 3 Scottish teams that have never been relegated from the Top Division. Despite competing in the Scottish Cup and Scottish League Cup finals, both in 2000, they have not won any silverware since 1995.

Formed in 1903 as a result of the amalgamation of three clubs from Aberdeen, they rarely challenged for honours until the 1950s, when they won each of the major Scottish trophies under manager Dave Halliday. This level of success was surpassed in the 1980s, when, under the management of Alex Ferguson, they won three league titles, four Scottish Cups and a Scottish League Cup, alongside the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup and the UEFA Super Cup, both in 1983. Aberdeen were the last club outside of the Old Firm to win a league title, in 1984/85, and also the last Scottish team to win a European Championship.

Aberdeen have played at Pittodrie Stadium since their inception. The ground currently has a capacity of 22,199 and was the first all-seated and all-covered stadium in the United Kingdom. Pittodrie was also the first football stadium to feature a dugout, an invention of player and coach Donald Colman. The club's colours have been primarily red and white since 1939; before this, they played in black and gold vertical stripes.

Aberdeen attract support from the city and surrounding areas, as they are the only senior team within a wide area. Aberdeen have no geographically close rivals; their nearest neighbours at the same level are in the city of Dundee.

2d8gxhd.jpg

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Squad Analysis

Generally, the strength of your squad is in keeping with its status as the fourth-highest paid in the division. Some areas are very well covered, but the lack of options in the wide positions is a major concern. Your priority should be to address this lack of balance and to bring in a natural right back and left midfielder.

To do this you will need to move on a couple of fringe players with Darren Mackie, Josh Magennis and Rory McArdle appearing to be the most likely candidates.

Given the lack of funding, even to bring in unattached players, no-fee loans look to be a plausible option and you should look closely at this market.

One of the pleasing aspects of the squad is the strength of the Youth Squad and there are loads of players there who will become worthy AFC first team squad men in the future.

Goalkeepers

Well covered in this area with three worthy custodians.

Davide Gonzalez will be your first choice keeper for the first part of the season. The Colombian international is on loan from Manchester City until January.

Jamie Langfield and Jason Brown are your other experienced men. Langfield is out for three months due to the problems he’s had with his head but shall be back in time to step into the number 1 slot if and when Gonzales returns to Manchester.

Young players: Przemyslaw Lukasik is the better of your two youth keepers and may become better than Langfield in time. Danny Rogers is not too far behind.

Full Backs

This is an area of the squad which needs strengthening. Richard Foster is the only recognised full back in the squad and, although he can operate on either side, he’s strongest at left back so should be your pick for there.

For right back, you could fit either McArdle or Jack in this role but the recommendation would be that you should go out and sign a natural right back as a matter of urgency.

Suggestions for this position may be, dependant on their salary expectations: Stuart Parnaby, Philipp Degen, Georgios Galitsios, Olivier Fontenette, Maurice Ross.

Young players: Jack Grimmer has the potential to be a good quality SPL right back in the future.

Centre Back

Youl Mawene and Andrew Considine will be your first choices and are a strong enough pairing for the SPL. This leaves Rory McArdle as back-up and you may choose to move him on in order to bring in funding for a right back or left winger.

15834lt.jpg

Youl Mawene

Young players: Joe Shaughnessy has the potential to be a decent SPL centre-back although you will have to do without him for season 1 due to his loaning to Forfar Athletic. Scott Rumsby also looks to be one to watch.

Central Midfield

The central midfield positions are another area where you have decent strength in depth.

For the defensive role, Icelandic international Kari Arnason will be the main man and with Yoann Folly on his way back from injury you are adequately covered. Isaac Osbourne and Ryan Jack are other options here although they seem to be under-rated in the game and probably do not warrant a first team spot in your team.

For the more progressive roles, Robert Milsom and Fraser Fyvie are the pick of the bunch. Fyvie is a very talented young player and is sure to attract a fair amount of interest as the game progresses.

2cgzxur.jpg

Fraser Fyvie

The relative strength is this area may mean that your chosen formation may be likely to include three central midfield players with Arnason, Milsom and Fyvie providing a worthy fulcrum to your team.

Young players: Jamie Masson, Jamie Collins, Connor Devaney and Matthew McMahon are worth working with on their development.

Wide Midfield/Winger

Similarly to the full back positions, the wide midfield/winger slots are in dire need of bolstering.

Peter Pawlett is a high potential right-sided player and the ineffectual Chris Clark can fill in if needed in the wide positions.

Suggestions: James McFadden, Cedric van der Gun, Michael McIndoe

Young players: Clark Robertson (right) and Nicky Low (left) are the best of your young wide midfielders although Low, like Shaughnessy, is out on loan to Forfar in season 1. Ryan Fraser is another who can become an SPL fixture in the future.

Strikers

Lots of options in this position with Scott Vernon being the pick of the bunch. Rory Fallon looks like striker number 2, with Mohammed Chalali being an adequate back up. Chalali can also provide cover on either wing.

mjoj20.jpg

Scott Vernon and Josh Magennis

Based on having those three players for you striking spots, you may chose to offer Darren Mackie and Josh Magennis for transfer.

Young players: Mitchell Megginson can provide some cover from the outset with Declan McManus and Cameron Smith being players for the future.

ABERDEEN FC RECORDS

Team

Biggest SPL win CvK, 9-1 v Partick Thistle, 2017/18

Biggest Domestic Cup win CvK, 8-0 v East Stirling 2015/16

Biggest European win CvK, 5-0 v Mogren, 2015/16

Highest scoring game CvK, Dunfermline 3-7 Aberdeen, 2016/17

Most goals scored in one league season CvK, 122, 2014/15

Least goals conceded in one league season alw02005, 28, 2013/14

Most points in one season CvK, 104, 2014/15

Most games won in a row CvK, 14, 2014/15

Most games without defeat

Most games without conceding a goal

Fastest goal scored CvK, Daniel Sturridge 19 secs v Shakhtar (CL 2016)

Most consecutive SPL Titles CvK, 4 and counting (2013/14 til ?)

Best Champions League performance alw02005, 1st KO Round, 2013/14

Best Europa League placing milnerpoint, Champions, Season 10

Players

Most goals scored in one game CvK, 7 for Arsenio Valpoort v Partick Thistle, 2017/18

Most goals scored in one season CvK, 41 for Arsenio Valpoort 2015/16

Most assists in one season CvK, 35 for Nicky Law, 2015/16

Most MotM awards in one season CvK, 12 for Arsenio Valpoort 2015/16

Youngest goalscorer alw02005, Grant Smith 16y271d, 2012/13

Highest average rating over 1 season (30 games+ needed) CvK 7.75 Nicky Law, 2015/16

Transfers

Highest Fee Paid alw02005, £2.4m for Shaun Hutchinson, 2014

Highest Fee Received alw02005, Joakim Vage Nilsen (£3.4m) to Kaiserslautern, 2014-15

Much harder than previous FM I am finding :(

Was easy to get a fairly sizeable budget in 11 by selling the dead weight and with that I won the title from the first season and never even looked like losing it from the 3rd season onwards but now I am nervous about getting top 6 let alone pushing Celtic.

So far

Ins

Richard Hughes

Maurice Ross

Gavin Rae

Dawid Nowak - 500k (Scored a hattrick at Stamford Bridge to secure a 3-2 win there 2nd season in FM11)

Milan Lalkovic - Loan

Oleguer

Ben Gordon - Loan

Eric Bautheac - Loan

Iker Alegre - 10k

Outs (excluding heaps of youth)

Clark Robertson - 160k

Conor Deavaney - 100k

Jamie Masson - 60k

Fraser Fyvie - £1.3M upfront 50% sell on

3 Games in and record stands at 1 win 1 draw and 1 loss.

Thats me thru 1 round of SPL fixtures, sitting 5th with St Johnstone leading :-o I've got 18 points in 11 games.

Anyway, transfers:

Out: McArdle £250k to Hibs, Mackie £60k to Scunthorpe, Magennis £450k!!! to Dundee Utd

In: Giorgos Galitsios (Greek RB), Cedric van der Gun (Dutch AML), Josh Wright (English DM/MC), Chevello de Rijp (Dutch S/AMR) all frees.

Galitsios (25 years old) is a quality right-back, no caps yet but was called up for Greek squad before getting a 4-month injury.

van der Gun (aged 32) is a great option for AML, weighed in 7 goals in 10 games before doing his achilles.

Josh Wright (21) ex-Scunny and Charlton, better DMC backup for Arnason than what Osbourne is.

Chevello de Rikp (21) was with AZ Alkmaar last season. Signed him mainly for backup for Pawlett (although he's naturally a striker) and he's done fine.

Also signed Jens Cools from Westerlo on loan - needed another backup DC after punting McArdle

No probs Keithyboyz, a pleasure.

Doesn't look like there's many embarked on their AFC career yet.

For those that have, a couple of names for January's window.

Par Hansson - Swedish keeper from Helsingborg who went out of contract on 31-12 and joined me thereafter. As good as, if not better than, Gonzalez.

Danny Buijs - Kilmarnock DM (and RB) who I'll sign on a Bosman on July 1. Looks as good as Arnason in DM and can also provide cover for your first-choice right back.

Oooohh, a Dons thread. Right...

Demo game: sacked in January. I was 10th, absolutely no consistency, yet only 6 points off third. I reckon my somewhat cavalier 442 was to blame. Mawene and Considine don't reslly have the pace to play that high a line.

Anyway, proper go now. I've set myself up in an attacking 5-2-3 formation, based on a tactic i saw on here somewhere t'other day. Signed Brazilian right wing back Flavio and Kelvin Etuhu, after he scored 5 out of 7 in a friendly vs Cowdenbeath.

GK - Gonzalez (Sweeper Keeper)

RWB - Flavio (Auto)

LWB - Foster (Auto)

DCR - Arnason (BPD - Stopper)

DC - Mawene (DC - Cover)

DCL - Considine (BPD - Stopper)

MC - Fyvie (BWM - Defend)

MC - Milsom (MC - Support)

RW - Pawlett (IF - Attack)

LW - Etuhu (IF - Attack)

CF - Vernon (TM - Attack)

Considering deploying Josh or Chalali in place of Vernon, as i need a bit more mobility up front, and they have both adapted to solo front man work better than he has.

Start of season 2. What a load of rubbish.

After finishing Season 1 with a run of 10 games without a win I drop from 3rd to finish 6th. I then let Mawene, Vernon, Fallon and Cedric van der Gun leave at the end of their contracts thinking I can use their wages to bring in better (recently freed) players. Then the board stymie me by reducing my wage budget by the £9k/week I’d been paying them.....canna say its not realistic.

So I’ve now got a 9 grand transfer kitty and £29k/week to spend on wages. I did manage to sign Lewis Stevenson after Hibs released him. And that’s my money used up.

Thankfully my parent clubs, Man City and Arsenal, have sent me three youngsters so my squad is at a workable level but nowhere near how I’d envisaged it.

So beware. I’d have kept Mawene and Vernon if I’d known they were about to do this to me.

Taking my time to get through this, but anyway...

First three games drew 1-1 vs St Johnstone, lost 1-0 to St Mirren (87th minute penalty, FFS sake Jack min), won 2-1 vs Celtic. Signed Kristian Nemeth on a free and sold Mackie to Rochdale for £50k. Then lost 1-0 to Hearts and 3-2 at Ibrox.

I have now ditched the 5-2-3, as it does not seem to be especially great. On the face of it, it should suit most of the players (Foster the only player not in a natural position), but it's just not happening. So now I'm about £2000 a week over my wage budget and looking for a formation to both suit my unbalanced squad and provide instant results.

ok, first time of posting and following a thread, but it is Aberdeen, so will be my only attempt - hope i can make it all the way through :)

going to be the mighty dons as always!

first thing was to get Árnason (capt),osbourne,vernon,jack,mawéné and considine all on long contracts.they all took immediately for little more than they were on. now wont be losing them for free in the jan window or them asking for huge wages for new contract.

PLAYERS IN - maurice ross (freebie) for wb cover and mads laudrup for left mid (8K) (took him for the "reach the box and dive" name factor....)

PLAYERS OUT - - mackie (50k) nobody will take chris clark!

*now have brown,mcardle and folly unhappy and demanding transfer. would like to keep macardle as cover but might need to cash in. other 2 are on list and expecting to go soon.

FRIENDLIES

AFC 4 Peterhead 0(Magennis,Vernon, o.g,Pawlett)

AFC 1 Reading 0 (considine)

AFC 0 Dag & Red 0

AFC 1 Peterborough 1 (fallon)

AFC 1 Huddersfield 2 (mawéné)

LEAGUE

AFC 2 St Johnstone 0 (fallon,mawéné)

AFC 6 St. Mirren 0 (o.g,vernon 3, magennis,mawéné)

AFC 0 Celtic 0

AFC 3 Hearts 0 (vernon 3)

AFC 2 ICT 0 (vernon, Jack)

AFC 0 rangers 1

AFC 1 Hibs 1 (Laudrup)

AFC 4 Kilmarnock 0 (mawéné 2,foster,vernon)

LEAGUE CUP

beat brechin 3-0 cameron smith (youngest ever scorer) vernon and Kári

3rd round beat hibs 3-0 kári,milsom and mawéné

Not going to lie about it, well chuffed with the start, possibly one of best i have had and am amazed at the defensive record. 0-0 with celtic is my best result i feel. Scotland u-21 call ups and injuries meant i had to play 2 15 yr olds and 3 17 yr olds. also 4 teens on the bench. obviously, since playing the glasgow teams, i was down to 10 men quickly and thought the worst. youngsters were superb and so good i kept them in pool for next game. young cameron smith became the youngest scorer and player for the dons and the league cup. all before he turned 16 and got the contract he so rightly deserved!

FORMATION 4-4-2

GK - GONZO

LB - FOSTER

RB - ROSS / JACK

CB - MAWÉNÉ

CB - CONSIDINE

LM - MILSOM / LAUDRUP

CM - ÁRNASON (advanced playmaker)

CM - OSBOURNE (ball winning midfield)

RM - PAWLETT / JACK

ST - VERNON (target man)

ST - BIG JOSH / CHALALI (poacher)

have been switching mcardle into the backs for a couple of sub appearances. fyfie (the ginger fabregas),grimmer,clark robertson all getting a wee run in midfield in same way. folly now making noises, will probably let him go, also throwing in a random u-19 for 20-30 mins every second or third game. will not be able to buy in big players so trying to get the young ones ready for the step up. there is always an abundance of good talent, it just doesnt seem to always reach the top. NOW THEY WILL HAVE THE CHANCE TO PROVE THEMSELVES

STAND FREE!!

Update from me with some player pointers for anyone reaching Season 3.....

Season 2 ended up with Hearts ’86-like levels of bridesmaidism for my youthful AFC. After crushing Rangers 4-0 in the League Cup Semi (a few days after doing the same at Ibrox in the league) I was subjected to a sickening 2-1 defeat to ICT in the Final. In the Scottish Cup semi, a Hampden hangover led to Rangers defeating me by the same scoreline.

So to the League – I led Celtic by a point with 3 games to go. They then came up to Pittodrie and crushed my demoralised side by 4-1 to knock the stuffing out of my sails and effectively put an end to my season.

Not all gloom though, Champions League Qualification was indeed secured so its not all bad. I’ll enter in QR3 in the ‘best second placed teams’ section, so my lowly seeding will no doubt pit me against Arsenal or the like........ I’ll be chuffed if I can parachute my way into the Europa League Groups.

Signings in preparation for Season 3.....and I’ve still not signed anyone for a fee ....keep your eye out for some of these lads when you get to this stage.

Cammy Bell (Killie GK) and Nicky Law (Motherwell AMR) both signed on pre-contract (and zero compensation) Bosmans. Good back-up/competition for Per Hansson and Peter Pawlett.

Free agent Darron Gibson (CM) finally dropped his wage demands in order to succumb to my chase of a contract offer every month for almost a year. Scott Brown also joined me earlier in the season after a not-quite-so-lengthy chase. Looking forward to seeing them in action alongside Fyvie.

High-potential youngsters Tom Thorpe (Man Utd DC) and Ryan Mason (Spurs AMC/S) also both sign up after coming to the end of their EPL deals. Thorpe will partner Considine and Mason will be phased in gradually as a long-term attacking playmaker/trequartista.

Hoping I’m left with the budget for a couple of strikers (I released Patrick Agyemang and Lenny Nangis went back to Arsenal), someone to replace Richard Foster at left-back, and a better quality AML than my current first pick Mohamed Chalali......hoping my affiliations with Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City will pay off with some quality yoofs or that I can stretch to some high-quality new free agents.

I've only just got to December in season 1. Sitting in 7th place, using a 4-5-1 formation with Nemeth/Chalali at inside forward on the left and Vernon/Josh/Nemeth as a poacher/target man up front. We're looking a lot more solid and starting to pick up wins. Folly's on his way out to Barnsley, which should free up funds for some squad bolstering, or to put together a package that persuades Arnason to stay. He's so far rejected all my new contract overtures.

Kelvin Etuhu (age 23) has announced his retirement, after breaking a leg. He's set to retire at around the time he gets fit. If a termination of contract didn't cost £500k, i'd be binning him to save the £3k a week wage he's eating up.

downloading the facepacks now, thanks for that caddy.

update time

PLAYERS IN - NONE :/

PLAYERS OUT - Folly agreed with scunthorpe ( i think) 155k plus 30% of next sale. very happy with that price. he was valued at just 55k. Also takes a hefty 2.3k off the wages, just need to see if wiggy will let me give it to someone else!

LEAGUE

AFC 0 Motherwell 0

AFC 3 Dunfermline 1 (Mawéne,vernon,magennis)

AFC 2 Dundee Utd 0 (vernon 2) both in first 8 mins - happy days!

AFC 0 Celtic 1 (samaras came on on 90 mins and scored in 94.... typical is the word to describe it...)

AFC 1 rangers 3 (Kári - absolute screamer, must be goal of season) sadly, this could of been 7 or 8 for "them" hair-dryer treatment was given to all

AFC 2 St Johnstone 1 (Mawéné,vernon) very good comeback/result with 10 men. big josh got a wee bit over excited in 69 seconds of his first start in a while, out for 3 now :/, but i just love his keen ness :D

LEAGUE CUP

Round 3 - AFC 3 Hibs 0 (Kári,Milsom,Mawéné)

QTR Final - AFC 3 Dunfermline 1 (Kári,Vernon,Chalali) Chalali's first goal for dons - ozzie blasted across box, hit him on arse and went in! will take 20 of then under keeper. will take 20 of them a season with no complaints :D

TABLE - sitting third, level points with hearts with that 2 glasgow teams just above me by 1 and 3 points... dont play them for a while so hoping to get some good wins against lower teams to keep the pressure on.

STAND FREE!

Does anyone else find the boards expectations slightly high?

looking for euro qualification through league and to reach semis in both cups seem a bit much with no resources or funds. it does sound realistic tho :)

i have vernon sitting 14 goals in 15 games and amazing osbourne on 11 assists so far!

TIP - i have ozzie taking corners. from left he is aiming far post and mawéné attacking far post. doing really good, lots of just over bar,saves and a good few goals. ozzie taking from right is aiming for near post with Kári attacking near post. same results. vernon is target man and is just doing it all himself - good on him ;) keep it up son!

have not set a penalty taker, as i dont expect to get any as usual....

Just finished a very worrying pre-season. I was fairly optimistic about the quality of the squad to start with and felt that with one or two decent additions would be in a good position to challenge for third.

With only 5 days left until the opening game against St.Johnston I currently have failed to sign anyone, and there's no deals looking close to completion. Let Mackie go for £50K to Scunthorpe to boost the budget slightly but apart from that nothing has went right for me in the transfer market.

Things haven't gone any better on the pitch either, my preseason results were

0-0 v Stenhousemuir

1-2 v Burnley

0-2 v West Ham

2-0 v Arbroath

1-3 v Roda JC

Very unimpressive stuff, most worryingly of all is the teams complete inabilty to defend corners, atleast 5 of those goals conceded came as a result of terrible defending from corners.

Another thing is that almost every players morale was down low when I took over, even when being positive and encouraging in team talks it doesn't seem to help. Looks like it could be a tough season ahead, hopefully if we can make a decent start and get one or two new players in though things will be looking a lot better.

Began to make progress on the transfer front had Kelvin Etuhu agreed to deal but unfortunately didn't arrive in time for the Saint Johnston game. Could really have been doing with him in this game as we were awful, ended up losing 3-1 with the defence looking shambolic at times. Only small positive being Fallon scoring a cracker.

Managed to complete the deal for Etuhu (£1.8K p/w) and Maurice Ross (£550 p/w) before the Saint Mirren game, which again turned out to be a disaster. Lost 2-0 in a game in which we just never really turned up in, not impressed with the team at all.

No new signings and about 5 players missing through either injury or international duty had me fearing the worst for the visit of the jungle jims. Thankfully though the team actually played well and were very unlucky to lose 1-0.

Obviously not very happy with this start to the season 0 points in the first 3 games :mad: will need to sort things out quickly or I fancy the job centre will be visited :/

Hi Guys, long time player but never posted. Getting near the end of my third season and pushing for the title. Its Hearts Celtic then me all with in 3 points. Big thing I would say is get as many parent clubs as you can, I have had some great loanees that have been a big part of my success. So far won both cups and finished 6 and 3 in my two seasons.

Suggestions player wise for me are, at CB Ruud Knol, dutch great defender always pops in with at least 8 goals as well which is good. Zacharie Boucher, you can get him pre contract at the end of the second season, goeas on to be a top player. Pierre Worm, free transfer and the answer aberdeen have been looking for to the left back problem. Best signing has to be Oliver Norwood so far contributed 40 assists and 20 goals in 75 appearences from the middle of the park. Great dead ball delivery and a free after the second season.

GK Zacharie Boucher

DR/Att Ryan Jack

CB Ruud Knol ©

CB Christian Ribeiro

LB/Att Ruyman

DMC/DLP Fraser Fyvie

CM/Att Oliver Norwood

CM/Att Abdi Ibrahim - Man City Loan

AMR Peter Pawlett

AML Oliver Tonder - Man City Loan

STC/P Roland Bergkamp

Just started my game with the Dons after a lengthy argument with my laptop as to whether or not to play the game.

Players in:

Robbie Neilson (RB) - free

Dougie Imrie (AM L) - £100k up front, £100k over 48 months from Hamilton

Alexis Ngambi (CB) - free

Luigi Bruins (AM C) - free

Michael Stewart (M C) - free

Players out:

Darren Mackie - £100k to Tranmere

Josh Magennis - £200k to Hamilton

+ released a few u19 players

So far only played one league game, 1-0 victory over St. Johnstone, but confident for the season ahead. Need a European place to please the board after all!

hi guys, hope all is going well for you all

ticking away well here, hit a bad run of injuries end nov, thinking i may have to offload someone in jan to get some cash to strengthen in time for a run at euro spot. have considine, kári, osbourne, milsom out with injuries, from 2-6 weeks. 2 suspended as well. got a few midweek games at this time, so worst time to be short of players. tough games coming soon as well.

PLAYERS IN - Guayre (freebie) spanish 31, plays am l/r and striker. not bad stats and only 700p/w

PLAYERS OUT - NONE

LEAGUE

AFC 0 motherwell 0

AFC 2 dunfermline 1 (mawéné, cameron smith) lost early goal again,good fightback.young smith came on to score again)

AFC 2 killie 1 (mawéné, jack) clangers back for this one, and did a "macgregor for foster". early goal dropped again.considine is really being missed

AFC 3 st mirren 0 (vernon 3) archie said to drop for bad form... 0-0 ht full screaming mode - different team in second half.ST mirren should of won this!

AFC 0 hibs 3 injuries killed me, could of been more

Still sitting in very respectable third place.very happy with it so far. hibs closed in on me with last defeat to them.

Small squad is being hit hard with injury, young ones still trying hard but not up quite good enough yet. will need to let someone go. money will be vital now.

TIP - scouts found young guy at celtic, kirwin (16). has 4 and half star potential. they want 65k plus 45% of next sale. looks good, finishing,composure,speed all 14 and over,great for youngster. just dont want to be handing 45% over to that lot :/ still going to go back every month until they give in.

STAND FREE

Now four games in and top of the league! Wins against St Johntone (1-0) at home, then at St Mirren (2-4) away, then a 1-1 draw with Celtic at home followed by a 2-1 win at Hearts means we're top of the league! Ryan Jack and Robert Milsom are the finds of the decade! Top of the league...let's keep it up!!

good luck scottish manager, hope you kick some ass.

how is big josh looking in a few seasons mr kaarhandel?? is he worth hanging onto or better going with chalali? i fear i need to lose one to get cash to bolster the squad a bit in jan sales season 1...

Got to the end of second season. Finished 8th but won the league cup, no shock to say that the ***** stu milne sacked me straight away!. Got Robbie Brady from man utd reserves on a bosman, although he may look the part he was injured 60% of my season.

how is big josh looking in a few seasons mr kaarhandel?? is he worth hanging onto or better going with chalali? i fear i need to lose one to get cash to bolster the squad a bit in jan sales season 1...

Oh i sold Magennis pretty much straight away - he went to the Jutes and i think i managed to take £425k off them for the pleasure.

Just started a new game with my beloved Aberdeen

this is my July update:

I have been using this formation:

formationv.png

Fixtures:

Aberdeen (Pawlett) 1-2 (Sheridan, Morris) St. Johnstone

St Mirren (Carey, Thompson) 2-0 Aberdeen

Transfers:

I got this boy on a free from HB Koge but then got a broken leg in the St Mirren match, out for 6-7 months! :(

djeziri.png

I also sold Darren Mackie onto Chesterfield for £60K

Wish me luck, COYR!

sitting in third spot, 2 games before the split. have hearts and united before split then again after, hibs making up the rest of the top 6. 9 points ahead of all 3 so it is going to be a tight run, but happy i have the gap.

PLAYERS OUT - NONE

PLAYERS IN -craig eastwood arsenal -CM, not wanting or using him, but they sent for nothing so will be back up for the back up

joe mckee burnley loan (check out mckee, trying to get him perm)

mikael andersen GK from reading 75k

brahim zaari GK from eindhoven 150k

had a pure nightmare of a time when gonzo left, so got these 2 in, brown will be gone asap and clangers just not cutting it.

defence been a nightmare since he went, so trying pushing ball wider in more attacking areas. jack/chalali and laudrup /guayre picking up some good goals now

mawéné still a beast - i think on 12 for season now.

AFC 2-1 Inverness CT (og, mawéné)

AFC 2-1 hearts (jack 2)

AFC 0-3 dundee utd

AFC 2-2 Killie (mawéné, laudrup)

AFC 1-2 rangers (jack)

AFC 2-2 dunfermline (mawéné, guayre)

AFC 1-0 hibs (laudrup)

AFC 2-1 st johnstone (guayre,pawlett)

AFC 3-1 st mirren (osbourne,guayre,chalali!!)

AFC 2-4 celtic (mawéné, Kári)

AFC 1-0 motherwell (vernon)

AFC 4-1 inverness (guayre,jack,osbourne,kári)

league cup semi

afc 3 -5 rangers (og,vernon 2)

scottish cup

4th round AFC 2-0 Buckie THistle (grimmer fyfie )

5th round AFC 4-2 ayr utd (mawéné,guayre,laudrup,og)

qtr final AFC 4-1 livingstone (guayre 2 vernon 2)

played the soap dodgers twice in 3 days, losing both, :(

scottish cup i have been playing youngsters

stand free!

Right, January update:

Players IN:

(as mentioned previously)

Robbie Neilson

Dougie Imrie

Luigi Bruins

Michael Stewart

(since then)

Lewis Milne (Cowdenbeath, £70k)

Juanse (Cadiz, £35k)

Ross Gray (Livingston, £100k)

Dalibor Stevanovic [Aberdeen legend on past FMs] (free)

Vincent Castell (free)

Kristoffer Norfeldt (free)

Agon Mehmeti (Jan. Bosman)

Players OUT:

(as mentioned previously)

Darren Mackie

Josh Magennis

(since then)

Michael Stewart (mutual termination, MASSIVE falling out)

Jamie Langfield (free)

Yoann Folly (£30k to Tranmere)

Chris Clark (£10k to Kilmarnock)

Isaac Osbourne (free)

Rory Fallon (free)

Ricky Foster (£675k to Bristol City)

Currently 5th after 22 games, 37 points equal with Motherwell in fourth, Rangers 3rd on 38 and Dundee United second on 39. Celtic lead the pack on 44 points so still anyone's title. Out of League Cup (pens to St. Johnstone) and replay in the Scottish Cup with Killie in the 4th Round. Looking to bring in some quality young Scottish players but damn! they're expensive!

I might actually be tempted to play a game as Aberdeen after I get bored of my Hoffe save. Try & break the big 2 :).

Who are the must keeps and what are the finances like up there in 'bonny' Scotland?

End of season 2011-12 report:

SPL

1st Celtic (74pts)

2nd Rangers (70pts)

3rd Aberdeen (66pts)

4th Motherwell (63pts)

5th Hearts (62pts)

6th Dundee utd (59pts)

Fifteen points separating the top six. Wish it was this exciting in reality!

So we did as expected and qualified for the Europa League, dumped out of both cups early on though, thankfully not against lower league opposition!

Unsurprisingly I've gone for a squad overhaul. The fans still aren't happy I sold Foster, but Agon Mehmeti, who scored 13 goals in 17 games after arriving in January seems to have made them happy (he's already on the favoured personnel list).

In to replace Foster is Graeme Shinnie from ICT, who exhausted almost my full transfer budget at £400,000. Expensive, but my coached give him a four and a half star potential and he'll be first choice at left back.

Only other players I spent money on were Andrew Murphy, new second choice 'keeper for £45k from Livingston, highly rated by my scouts and coaches; and two regens, one Northern Irish and one Irish, both with five star potentials from coaches/scouts. One deep lying playmaker and one poacher to go along with the other poacher who came through my youth system and is already being looked at by EPL clubs.

Cleared out Kari Arnason, Craig Murray, Jordan Brown, Robbie Neilson and Rory McArdle for free, sold Mohamed Chalili, Dalibor Stevanovic, Jason Brown and Scott Vernon for a total of £575k.

After that as you can imagine I was inundated with agents offering me players. Snapped up two strikers, Norwegian Jo Sondre Aas (target man) and Pole Dawid Janczyk (also target man). Aas will be backup for Janczyk.

Also in, Chris Hegarty (centre back) and Sebastian Lletet (attacking mid) as hot prospects/backup, ad Armand N'Djama, highly rated young centre back who will compete with Considine and Mawene.

Got Uruguayan Juan Surraco on trial but he wants £4k a week and loads of other bonuses. I've offered the terms he wants but I'm not convinced. I'm pretty well covered on the right flank with Peter Pawlett. Might wait till he inevitably sacks his greedy agent and swoop.

SRL88, finances aren't good outside of the top two. Had £50k to spend in my first season so had to sell to get in my top targets, I've basically had to sell to buy so far, but it's going well and I've got a young team I'm very happy with.

Must keeps: Ryan Jack, Peter Pawlett, Fraser Fyvie, Youl Mawene and Ricky Foster, but to bring some quality in you'll probably need to sell one of Fyvie, Foster or Pawlett (I suggest Foster as the others are younger with high potential).

Stand Free!

Quick update, been playing through the night, pre-season over and two games played in the league...two draws away to Dundee Utd and home to St Mirren. Also got Bolton in the final qualifying round for the Euro League. Lost first leg away 4-1. :( Final transfers (hopefully) since last update:

Regen Dutch DRC, looks awesome, released from Ajax, so free. Joakim Vage Nilsen, £20k from Haugesund...check this guy out! New first choice left back. And Stephen Hendrie from Hamilton, check him out too. Been sniffing around since start of the game, snapped him up for a bargain £80k, one for the future no doubt but the coaches love him. Released my useless youngsters (u19 side is still massive though) and sold Ngambi for £55k. Squad average age is 20. Mawene is the only player over thirty and most are in their early to mid twenties. The future (may be) bright, the future's red. I hope!

End of season 2012-13 report:

SPL

1st Aberdeen (78pts)

2nd Rangers (74pts)

3rd Celtic (72pts)

4th Inverness CT (63pts)

5th Hibernian (61pts)

6th Hearts (46pts)

Nice little three way title battle, though it was mostly ourselves and Rangers for most of the season. Celtic started badly and were chasing most of the year.

Won the League Cup final 3-1 against Dundee United, lost the Scottish Cup final 2-0 to Rangers.

Only signing in January was Cammy Bell who was transfer listed by request at Killie, picked up for £30k, absolute steal. Took the number one jersey when Nordfeldt got injured and never lost it again.

Right at the start of my new season, Stoke came in with an unbelievable £1.8m bid for Graeme Shinnie. He'd had an excellent season, capped twice for Scotland and I'd set his asking price at £2.5m to ward off interest, but I couldn't say no to that money, it has helped me rebuild the team in preparation to defend the title and get knocked out of the Champions League qualifiers.

Aside from some promising regens, the main ins were:

Andrew Shinnie (free) from Inverness CT.

Karl Svensson (£100k) from IFK Goteborg.

Niall Canavan (free) from Scunthorpe.

Julien Cetout (£180k) from Hearts.

Jorgen Skjelvik (£50k) from Stabaek.

Still chasing a left winger as Dougie Imrie just isn't quality enough.

No major outs apart from Shinnie. Youl Mawene and Rob Milsom both left on frees, Juanse, Sebastian Lletget and Vincent Castell were sold but not for much, released the youth prospects that were never going to get close to the first team and loaned out everyone too old for the U19s but not good enough for the first team yet.

Best XI: (4-4-2)

1. Cammy Bell

2. Julien Cetout

3. Joakim Vage Nilsen

4. Niall Canavan

5. Armand N'Djama

6. Fraser Fyvie

7. Dougie Imrie

8. Luigi Bruins

9. Dawid Janczyk

10. Agon Mehmeti

11. Jorgen Skjelvik

Ryan Jack, Peter Pawlett, Andy Considine, Clark Robertson and Jack Grimmer are all pushing for places in the first team, confident they'll make it and play quite a bit this term.

One last thing before I finish this, I HIGHLY recommend one of or both Dawid Janczyk and Agon Mehmeti:

All competitions:

Janczyk: 43apps, 27gls, 10asts 7.22av r

Mehmeti: 47apps, 33gls, 19asts 7.50av r

Beasts! Both signed for free (Mehmeti on Bosman Jan '12 and Janczyk free agent summer '12).

How's everyone else getting along?

hello guys, hope all is going well in the world of managing the mighty reds!!

ok, new update time. taking me up to end of the first season, been hectic at work so i will be lagging way behind everyone else.

League

AFC 0 - 2 Hearts

AFC 2 - 2 Dundee utd (laudrup,jack)

AFC 1 - 1 hibs (mawéné)

AFC 0 - 0 celtic

AFC 2 - 1 hearts (vernon,megginson) super sub megginson - on for 30 secs ans scored winner

AFC 0 - 1 dundee utd

AFC 2 - 3 rangers (vernon 2)

last game was decider for second spot! gutted - jack own goal and a whittaker 40 yrd cross went in...

Scottish cup semi

AFC 0 -celtic 1

overall- delighted to finish in third - european spot, passports ready!

semi in both cups, out to OF teams so nothing too shocking, unlike the real thing!

PICK OF THE SEASON

scorers

vernon very impressive 25 goals. need to find another striker to play alongside him. never really got a prtnership with anyone, gave most 3 or 4 games with him but still nothing.

mawéné - superb - avg of 7,28 - 7 MoM and a fantastic 15 goals! (all attacking far post from corners)

assists -

osbourne top provider with 19 assists - takes corners ;)

kári - top job as capt. weighed in with 17 assists and 6 goals

special mention to cameron smith - became youngest ever player and goalscorer, will be used in lesser games. all younger members getting good experience and fairly solid when on, nothing really out standing yet tho. their time will come in the future - i am sure of it - same in real life!!

asked board for another parent club- offered man city and snapped at it. now have man city and arsenal. hopefully might drop a good player on me for a season, but would prefer to get new ones of my own in first. but will not complain or reject if tevez sent my way ;)

going to be long off season, am going to try get in some free youngsters/regens and try get cheap wages on them, train a bit and sell on a t good price. something the real aberdeen board does, without the actual selling part :(

STAND FREE my red friends!!

Archived