AK22

Australia

1435.png

World Ranking: 33rd

Rival Nations: New Zealand, England, Japan, Iran, Uruguay, Croatia

Stadium: Various

Capacity: Various

Fixtures

After a decent show in the Asian Cup, their previous manager retired from football after the final defeat to China. That's three Asian Cup tournaments in a row that Australia have finished as runners-up, so it's obviously a talented team I've inherited, I just need to give them that winning mentality. Easier said than done I suppose! We're the second highest ranked 'Asian' nation, only behind South Korea, so it will be important to put on a decent show in the forthcoming World Cup Qualifiers too.

FA Expectations

FIFA World Cup AFC Qualifying Section: Qualify easily from the Final of the AFC World Cup Qualifiers.

I've not overly familiar with the format of the AFC World Cup Qualifiers, so I'm working on the 'win all games' approach to qualification. We've been drawn against South Korea, Uzbekistan and Kuwait in the Third Round groups, with the top two qualifying for the final round. Unless something goes horribly wrong, we should go through alongside South Korea, but I'm not completely sure what happens after that, although I'm sure it will get harder!

Initial Impressions

Squad Overview

The whole of my squad play their domestic football outside Australia, with the majority playing in Europe, and a few dotted around other Asian nations. I wouldn't say this is the most naturally talented team I've managed, and I'm not convinced they're any better than the Egypt team I oversaw, but we're reasonable well covered in all positions. We look strongest in defence, with Michael Corry and Dardan Salku likely to be my first choice centre-back paring. They should be ably supported by 'keeper Rashid Bissinger, and defensive midfielder, Denis Farquhar, so I'm hoping for a good defensive record.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ismail is a brilliant signing, that's a nearly world class keeper already. Rodriguez and Ashrat look good too. I'm not as enthusiastic about that attacking midfielder Falk, doesn't look particularly talented to me, wouldn't have spent 6M on him. Unless there really weren't better options on the market.

Not sure about that narrow diamond neither, used to be a brilliant formation on some past FMs, but FM11 was all about exploiting the wings, isn't the FM12 match engine nearly identical? Aren't you going to be very vulnerable to attacking fullbacks, and/or wingers that stay up exploiting the space on the back of your wingbacks?

A very different formation and tactics from your previous years. Have you had any experiece using this style? It looks quite narrow and susceptible to attacks down the wings especially if the opposition have pace in their squad.

On a positive note, good to see 2 Forest full backs in your squad in Gunter and Cunningham (well, I think it's positive but judging from our performances so far this season, you may need new full backs soon! :)).

I agree, can probably win.

Hopefully so!

Ismail is a brilliant signing, that's a nearly world class keeper already. Rodriguez and Ashrat look good too. I'm not as enthusiastic about that attacking midfielder Falk, doesn't look particularly talented to me, wouldn't have spent 6M on him. Unless there really weren't better options on the market.

Not sure about that narrow diamond neither, used to be a brilliant formation on some past FMs, but FM11 was all about exploiting the wings, isn't the FM12 match engine nearly identical? Aren't you going to be very vulnerable to attacking fullbacks, and/or wingers that stay up exploiting the space on the back of your wingbacks?

I tend to agree with you regarding Falk. I think I definitely overpaid for someone who is no more than an average Premier League player, but as I like to get my transfers done early in the window (so they get the pre-season friendlies to gel in), he really was the best available that I could afford. Most likely, he'll just be a stop-gap, until I can find/afford someone better, and typically, my scout has just unearthed someone who looks a lot more talented, and would cost a little less. Maybe, I go in for them in the January window. Depends on how we're going though, as I don't like to rock the boat unless absolutely necessary.

A very different formation and tactics from your previous years. Have you had any experiece using this style? It looks quite narrow and susceptible to attacks down the wings especially if the opposition have pace in their squad.

On a positive note, good to see 2 Forest full backs in your squad in Gunter and Cunningham (well, I think it's positive but judging from our performances so far this season, you may need new full backs soon! :)).

Haha :D Gunter and Cunningham are just my back-ups, so don't end up playing too many games. However, they are both home-grown British players, which really helps to fulfil my quota, so I may end up keeping them for another season or two.

Should qualify with ease from your Europa group.

The narrow formation can work quite effectively. I'm using a similar system at Gladbach and having some success. I think the key is for high level of closing down to ensure your players get to their wingers before they can start an attack.

The new formation has started quite well, achieving the desired effect of a tightened defence. We've only conceded five goals in our first nine Premier League matches, so we're definitely tighter at the back than we previously were. Even though we could be exposed down the wings, my deep lying forward tracks back the oppositions left-back, and my left sided central-midfielder tracks back on the opposite flank, so my fullbacks are not overly burdened by two-on-one situations. I used this formation with my Lazio side in FM11 and won four league titles with it, so there is precedent for it's success, so we'll see how it goes. I'm quite open to amending if it all goes horrible wrong, but initially, it doesn't look like a step back at the moment.

Good luck in the Premier League mate
Good luck with the Aussies AK and in Europe with Fulham :thup:

Those two Egyptians you signed look very good.

Looks like a good group for sure, good luck for the season!
The Egyptians have some raw talent in my save too - yours look tremendous :thup:

Thanks chaps :thup:

I'm really excited by my Egyptian stars, and I've got another one on my shortlist who I'd like to add next summer. I'm sure Cairo has many similarities with south-west London! Tbh, I'm not sure how I didn't do better when in charge of their national team, they really are outstanding, and would be star players for near enough any club in the world!

Contrastingly, I don't think they'll be many Aussies joining me in the future (unless I go back to League Two); they are all very distinctively average :D

The new formation has started quite well, achieving the desired effect of a tightened defence. We've only conceded five goals in our first nine Premier League matches, so we're definitely tighter at the back than we previously were. Even though we could be exposed down the wings, my deep lying forward tracks back the oppositions left-back, and my left sided central-midfielder tracks back on the opposite flank, so my fullbacks are not overly burdened by two-on-one situations. I used this formation with my Lazio side in FM11 and won four league titles with it, so there is precedent for it's success, so we'll see how it goes. I'm quite open to amending if it all goes horrible wrong, but initially, it doesn't look like a step back at the moment.

I agree. I'm using this formation on FM11 with Lincoln and won promotion to League 2 in my second season and currently top of the League 2 table with the best defence and best attack afetr predicted to finish bottom!

I always use OI to always close down the opposition wingers and full backs which ensures that the two narrow midfielders help out their full backs. I use a Target Man and Advanced Forwrd with Attacking mentality so they don't track back like your Defensive Forward.

Anyway, keep up the good work AK22.

Wow your new Egyptian goakeeper is a find! He'll be around for a while I'm sure.

Cheers, he should turn out to be one of the best in the world (well, I hope!), but I would imagine he only sees Fulham as a stepping stone to the future; I imagine him to be a Barcelona/Man Utd/insertbigclubnamehere player at some stage of his career.

I agree. I'm using this formation on FM11 with Lincoln and won promotion to League 2 in my second season and currently top of the League 2 table with the best defence and best attack afetr predicted to finish bottom!

I always use OI to always close down the opposition wingers and full backs which ensures that the two narrow midfielders help out their full backs. I use a Target Man and Advanced Forwrd with Attacking mentality so they don't track back like your Defensive Forward.

Anyway, keep up the good work AK22.

Thanks footynut :thup: I think the formation works quite well too. Obviously, it does have it's pitfalls, as it can be a bit one-dimensional at times, but it is getting the desired results so far.

Rasmus Falk, I signed him for Stoke. :D

:D He's pretty average to say the least :D

Good luck with the Aussies :thup:

You've signed some cracking players and especially the Egyptians,is the third one around the same ability or better?

You should get out of that group but is it too much to see Fulham in another EL final :D

Good luck with the Aussies :thup:

You've signed some cracking players and especially the Egyptians,is the third one around the same ability or better?

You should get out of that group but is it too much to see Fulham in another EL final

Good luck with the Kangeroo's and good luck in Europe with Fulham! Should be a great season to play for you :D

Thanks B.W.G and Hot Choc, I doubt we'll reach the final, but the group stage has gone well so far :thup:

Here's the other Egyptian international I'm considering signing.

WaelAmerOverview_Attributes.png

He should be a decent striker for me, not World Class, but not too shabby either. He's got a £6m release clause which I may trigger in the summer, which would bring the Egyptian contingent to three at the Cottage.

Al-Fayed is definitely having an influence on you then? You'll be doing your shopping in Harrods next! ;)

:D

For some reason, I can't resist signing a good Egyptian, there's so many around in my game! I just hope none of them turn out to be the 'new Mido'!

Fulham F.C.

654.png

Mid-Season Update 2019/20

Barclays Premier League: 3rd

Europa League Group F: 1st

Fixtures

BarclaysPremierLeagueOverview_Stages-1.png

UEFAEuropaLeagueOverview_Stages-2-1.png

Due to playing live on Channel 5 on Thursday nights, I thought we might struggle at times this season, but it's definitely so far so good.

After a poor start to our league campaign, we currently sit third at the half way point, looking good to consolidate our position in the top six. In fact, we're playing well enough that Champions League qualification isn't completely out of the question either. That all being said, we were in a similar position at this point last season, but then contrived to have a horrific post Christmas period, so I am fully aware that there is plenty of time for it to go terribly wrong again.

The group stage of the Europa League has gone well so far, with us only dropping points away to Molde. I am honestly surprised by how routinely we have qualified for the next stage; expecting much more of a fight from Málága and Sparta Prague. We've been drawn up against Greek side AEK Athens in the first knockout round, with a potential tie against Ajax in the following round if we get through. I'm not going to mention the Carling Cup much; we crashed out on the first hurdle away to Sunderland. A very poor show by all involved.

So far, the big major plus of the season has been how secure we look defensively. We've got the third best record in the league having only conceded 14 goals, which has really helped to grind out results against the top sides. Unfortunately, we lost star striker, John Itubu, for five weeks to a broken arm injury, and subsequently, he has really struggled to recover his previous form. Due to this, we look at bit toothless up front at times, lacking the talismanic figure we had last season, so might have to bring someone in on loan in January, if I can.

Amer is a bit of a beast!
Think I'd sign Amer if you can get him for £6m.

Yeah, he is pretty good, and should be a deadly poacher if he can get his off the ball and finishing stats up a notch or two. I can't afford to sign him in January though, but will likely put in an offer over the summer. If successful, hopefully he'll turn out to be the quality second striker I'm currently lacking :thup:

Great progress, had some catching up to do! Is a Champions League spot on the cards? Possibly a title challenge?

Would you mind if I used your style of updates for my career? It's really well laid out.

Also, that Ismail 'keeper is absolutely quality :thup:

Due to playing live on Channel 5 on Thursday nights...

Possibly the worst football coverage! I'd rather watch Robbie Savage on ESPN and that's saying something!

Looking good in the league as well as Europe. They Fulham lot may just have their next Woy Hodgson.

Possibly the worst football coverage! I'd rather watch Robbie Savage on ESPN and that's saying something!

Looking good in the league as well as Europe. They Fulham lot may just have their next Woy Hodgson.

I thought the regular pundit they have (can't remember his name off the top of my head) is actually pretty good. Better than when John Barnes was presenting anyway! The man can not talk properly.

Jim Rosenthal is the presenter. He's not too bad and I suppose Stan the Man is half decent (only because I'm a Forest fan and he'll always be a special player for me). But the actual coverage, the design and presentation of the programme is just bad, not to mention the commentators (although slightly improved since Johnathan Pearce left), in my opinion of course :).

Food for thought though...next time you look at Jim Rosenthal picture this - http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/lookalikes/3148/****_lookalike_.html

(Sorry to hijack your thread AK :)).

I quite like Channel 5's football. The bloke who now does Match of the Day 2 used to do it, if I remember correctly and I thought he was very good, same as this year, they know what they're talking about and they make the Europa League enjoyable to watch. I can't imagine the people in Manchester will agree though, they'll find anything and everything to complain about now :D

I quite like Channel 5's football. The bloke who now does Match of the Day 2 used to do it, if I remember correctly and I thought he was very good, same as this year, they know what they're talking about and they make the Europa League enjoyable to watch. I can't imagine the people in Manchester will agree though, they'll find anything and everything to complain about now :D

Colin Murray.

Channel 5 is miles better than ITV anyway. Chiles, TOwnsend & Co are inept to say the least.

Back on topic: Great first have to the season AK22 :thup:

Great progress, had some catching up to do! Is a Champions League spot on the cards? Possibly a title challenge?

Would you mind if I used your style of updates for my career? It's really well laid out.

Also, that Ismail 'keeper is absolutely quality

Cheers o JaY. Realistically, a top six finish is where I think we'll be come the end of the season. We don't have the squad to compete with the Arse and Manure at the top, so will be in a bun fight with Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea for the other Champions League places.

Oh, and help yourself to the format, don't mind at all :)

I thought the regular pundit they have (can't remember his name off the top of my head) is actually pretty good. Better than when John Barnes was presenting anyway! The man can not talk properly.
Jim Rosenthal is the presenter. He's not too bad and I suppose Stan the Man is half decent (only because I'm a Forest fan and he'll always be a special player for me). But the actual coverage, the design and presentation of the programme is just bad, not to mention the commentators (although slightly improved since Johnathan Pearce left), in my opinion of course .

Food for thought though...next time you look at Jim Rosenthal picture this - http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/lookalikes/3148/****_lookalike_.html

(Sorry to hijack your thread AK ).

I quite like Channel 5's football. The bloke who now does Match of the Day 2 used to do it, if I remember correctly and I thought he was very good, same as this year, they know what they're talking about and they make the Europa League enjoyable to watch. I can't imagine the people in Manchester will agree though, they'll find anything and everything to complain about now
Colin Murray.

Channel 5 is miles better than ITV anyway. Chiles, TOwnsend & Co are inept to say the least.

Back on topic: Great first have to the season AK22

Unfortunately, due to Liverpool's decline over the past few seasons, I've come quite accustomed to Channel 5's football coverage (I know we didn't even make it this season :(), and while it might not be the best (definitely not a patch on Sky), it's certainly not the worst. That accolade has to go to ITV. Who else can go to advert break in the middle of a match, and miss a vital goal! They've done this twice in my recent memory; missing the crucial winning extra time goal in the FA Cup replay between Everton and Liverpool, and then at the 2010 World Cup, cutting Gerrard's goal from all watching the HD coverage. Shocking! And don't even get me started on Gareth Southgate!!!

And cheers for the other comments :thup: I'm definitely not as old as Woy though, although I feel it sometimes! ;)

Australia

1435.png

World Ranking: 21st

2019/20 AFC World Cup Qualifiers Third Round

Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2

FIFAWorldCupAFCQualifyingSectionOverview_Stages-2-1.png

As expected, qualification to the next round was a mere formality. That being said, it was disappointing to drop points away to Uzbekistan, a team that should not have caused us any problems at all. Due to that poor show, we had to pull a rabbit out of the hat, and win away to South Korea, to top the group. Seriously on the back foot for the majority of the match, we somehow ran out surprise 2-0 winners, and finished above them in the group on goal difference!

Team of the Year 2019 | Overall Best XI

2020 AFC World Cup Qualifiers Final Draw

FIFAWorldCupAFCQualifyingSectionOverview_Stages-3-1.png

The top two automatically qualify for the World Cup, whereas the two 3rd place sides playoff for the remaining place at the finals. We've certainly been drawn in the group of death, as I would have liked to have avoided Japan and South Korea, so it's not going to be an easy ride to Qatar 2022. Finishing 3rd in the group wouldn't be the end of the world, but as second seeds, we should be aiming to finish first or second. The board expect us to qualify easily; we shall see!

Fulham F.C.

654.png

Season Review 2019/20

Competitions

Barclays Premier League: 7th

Position Graph | Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2

BarclaysPremierLeagueOverview_Stages-2-1.png

FA Cup: 6th Round | Carling Cup: 3rd Round

Season Summary

Match of the Season Highlights:

I'd advise anyone with a nervous disposition to look away now!

After a strong showing in the first half of the season, I was hoping we would maintain our form and not have a repeat of last season's demise. We didn't; it was a lot worse! We only managed to total 26 points in a period of the season that saw us not only throw away our Champions League dreams, but also those of us cementing ourselves as a top six side. Ultimately, it was too many draws against mediocre sides that cost us; Sunderland, Leicester, Stoke, Wolves, are all teams we should be beating, and losing our penultimate game at home to relegated-Norwich was the final nail in our Europa League qualification coffin. I'm really disappointed that a season that started with so much promise, finished with us having nothing to celebrate. At least the media can be happy they got their prediction of 7th correct though!

Having comfortably qualified from our Europa League group, our European adventure continued well into the New Year. AEK Athens were dispatched reasonably comfortably, with 1-0 victories both home and away. Ajax was a much sterner test, and even though both games were fairly well matched, they showed their experience to hold their nerve and win the tie 5-2 on aggregate. Not a bad showing, and considering Ajax went all the way to the final too, I can be pleased with our efforts in this competition.

Financial

Bank Balance: £18.7m

Average Attendance: 27409 | Season Ticket Holders: 15605

The bank balance hasn't really changed since this time last season. Unless serious investment comes along soon, I can't see us breaking into the top four, as we're only the 10th richest side in the league.

Squad

Squad Overview | Transfer Summary

Team of the Year | Overall Best Eleven

Fan's Player of the Year: Aleksander Milosevic

Manager's Player of the Year: Aleksander Milosevic

Top Goalscorer: John Itubu (18 goals)

Due to our Europa League commitments, the squad was seriously put to the test this season. On balance, I think it's safe to say that we held our own well in the first half of the season, but ran out of steam in the period after Christmas. Several players became jaded, and in need of a prolonged rest, but due to the lack of quality in depth, generally, they were asked to play on through their tiredness. Combined with the busy domestic calendar, this, ultimately, is what caused us to lose ground in the league, and slip out of the pound seats.

We've also had our fair share of injuries this season, something that we were on the lucky side with last year. John Itubu missed more games than I would have liked with a broken arm, following this with a groin injury too. This obviously cost us our main goal scoring threat, something that failed to return to the level of last season upon his return. A second striker will be high up on my summer shopping list, and as you know, I've already got my eye on a certain Egyptian ;)

Other News

Kingstonian - Their League Two dream is finally over, having been relegated on the final day of the season. I'm sure they enjoyed their six seasons in the Football League though.

Hull - Finished 4th in the league before losing the Championship Playoff Final against Cardiff.

Game Set-up - I've added a few more European leagues to my set-up. In come Ukraine, Russia, Turkey and The Netherlands. I'd definitely consider a top job in one of these countries if the opportunity presented itself.

I've also just been offered a job with Werder Bremen. Having considered it, the position wouldn't offer me anything extra to what's currently on offer with Fulham, so I've rejected their approach.

Career Summary

[size=2]Season     Team              League                   Finish    Cups                             
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12    Unemployed
2012/13    Kingstonian       Blue Square Bet South    3rd       FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round, FA Trophy 2nd Round
2013/14    Kingstonian       Blue Square Bet Premier  3rd       FA Cup 1st Round, FA Trophy 1st Round
2014/15    Kingstonian       npower League Two        16th      FA Cup 1st Round, Carling Cup 1st Round, JPT 1st Round
2015/16    Kingstonian       npower League Two        17th**    **Resigned 19/12/2015
          Hull City         npower League One        6th       FA Cup 4th Round
[/size]2016/17    Hull City         npower League One        1st       FA Cup 1st Round, Carling Cup 1st Round, JPT Winner
2017/18    Hull City         npower Championship      2nd       FA Cup 5th Round, Carling Cup 2nd Round
2018/19    Fulham            Barclays Premier League  5th       FA Cup Semi-Final, Carling Cup Semi-Final
2019/20    Fulham            Barclays Premier League  7th       Europa League 2nd KO Rd, FA Cup 6th Rd, Carling Cup 3rd Rd

Oh dear :thdn:. Shame to drop off like that but still, 7th is more than respectable :thup:. I'm surprised you turned down the Werder job as although you said it offers you nothing extra to what you've got at Fulham, from what you say about the finances at Fulham it doesn't look like progression is on the cards if there's no sign of investment. But, I suppose you now best...you're playing the save :D.

Archived