If You Count Your Chickens Before They've Hatched, They Won't Lay An Egg

AK22

For me it's either Hull or Fulham. You can change the budgets by losing some transfer money (not sure how much you want the cash though) although if you lose 3m you will get a fair chunk in your wage budget (just as an example). I wouldn't want to be in your position right now though! :D

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's some majority vote, thanks for the input :D

Unsurprisingly, I've accepted the job at Fulham. It's with a heavy heart that I leave Hull, but realistically, there's no reason I should turn down the opening at Craven Cottage. The weekly wage on offer is ten times higher, the transfer and wage budget should be pushing us towards the top half of the table, and even though I've never been to Hull, I'm sure I'd prefer to live and work in south London. I just hope Hull's first season back in the Premier League doesn't turn out to be the nightmare I fear it might!

Hull Record

AndyKingHistory_Overview-1.png

I'd like to be optimistic about Hull but a £210k budget only points in one direction!

Good luck at Fulham :)

London is much better than Dull so it's a no brainer.
Great second half of the season with Hull! Had to take the Fulham job I think. Good luck :thup:

Cheers :thup:

First fixture? Away to Hull, obviously!

Damn you fixture computer, talk about baptism of fire!!!

You were destined to begin your Premier League life at the KC! :D
Always the way!

Go and stick 5 past them :D

I don't know if we'll score five, but I would have thought we'll win comfortably. Especially as I know how to counter their main threats.

Good job on taking charge of Fulham! Best option
I bet Danny Murphy's still playing too.

Danny Murphy retired after the 2012/13 season, and is now assistant manager at Aldershot!

Called the promotion ;)

Awesome season Ak, good luck with the Fulham job

Good luck with Fulham, I would have voted for them if I wasn't late :p

Cheers, bit of a no-brainer really. Their one of my favoured clubs in real life (except for tonight, I hope the mighty Reds batter them!), so I'm really pleased to have the opportunity to manage them.

World Cup 2018

Hosts: Russia

Holders: Germany

Group Stages

FIFAWorldCupOverview_Stages-2-1.png

FIFAWorldCupOverview_Stages-3-1.png

Knockout Rounds

FIFAWorldCupOverview_Stages-1.png

Final

Italy 4-0 Uruguay

A bizarre World Cup in which Brazil, Argentina, England, Portugal and Germany all failed to make the quarter-finals. Other big shocks include both the USA and Cameroon making the semi-finals, and the hosts crashing out in the group stage.

Fulham F.C.

Wage: £19750 per week

Contract Length: 4 years

Transfer Budget: £13.55m

Wage Budget: £725k per week

Current Player Wage Total: £676k per week

654.png

Year Founded: 1896

Nickname: The Cottagers

Rivals: Chelsea, Q.P.R., Brentford

Stadium: Craven Cottage (Built 1896)

Capacity: 25694 all-seater

craven-cottage-fulham.jpg

2018/19

Media Prediction: 13th

Title Odds: 1000-1

Board Expectations

Barclays Premier League: Safe Mid-Table

FA Cup: Sixth Round

Carling Cup: Quarter-Final

Initial Impressions

Past Managers | Previous League Performance | Facilities

It seems that the Fulham board have really upped the anti over recent seasons, especially considering they qualified for the Champions League four seasons ago. Although they failed to reach the group stages, it's apparent that a mid-table finish in the Premier League is no longer good enough, as they've sacked three managers since their fourth place finish. The set-up here has not actually changed at all recently though; the facilities are still pretty good, but obviously not up to the standards of the Manchester teams or Arsenal, so investment will be needed if the club is going to be consistently in contention for continental qualification. Realistically, in my first season, I'll be looking to satisfy the board's expectations with a steady performance in the league, offset by a decent cup run if possible, then build for Europa League qualification over the next couple of seasons.

Fulham F.C.

654.png

Pre-Season Summary 2018/19

Transfer Activity

Transfer Summary

Club Signing of the Window: Bahadir Bulut

Total Amount Spent: £4.5m | Total Amount Received: £17.5m

I've inherited a large squad, with quite a few talented individuals, but also with some players getting disenchanted with the lack of first team opportunities. Due to this, eight players leave the club, including three on loan, with only three new faces joining the squad. This, in total, leaves me with a first team squad of about 28, which is slightly larger than I would prefer, but it at least provides me with good covering options in all positions. Of the players signed, Bahadir Bulut will be a guaranteed first team player. He's got all the credentials to hold down a starting place, and the potential to be one of the best midfielders in the division. The signing of John Itubu on a free should turn out to be quite a coup too; he's definitely one for the future and probably good enough to make a handful of appearances this season. The final signing was Adam Johnson, an experience head, who also helps to fulfil our home-grown players obligations. I was also offered the opportunity to sign both Andy Carroll (Liverpool) and Gervinho (Arsenal) at rock bottom prices, but unfortunately, their wage demands were far higher than I was prepared to pay. I may go back for Carroll in January though, even if it's just on loan until the end of the season, as I feel he will complament our style of play.

Tactical Outlook

This is my initial formation and team instructions:

FulhamTactics_TeamInstructions-1.png

FulhamTactics_TeamInstructions-2.png

I'm sticking to what I know, and carrying on with the tactic I used to gain promotion with Hull. I think the main strength of the team is our attacking prowess, so it makes sense to start most matches on the front foot. Once again, I think we'll score plenty of goals this season, but that does leave us a bit exposed at the back, so I may have to tinker as we progress through the games. As a contingency plan, I am training the team a more cautious 4-5-1 back-up tactic, and one that I will probably revert to when we go away to some of the big teams. Otherwise, we might be on a hiding to nothing at times.

Other News

Hull have spent £9m on transfers over the summer, bringing in 14 new faces. At least they've given themselves half a chance of staying up, although at first glances, they do seem to lack a natural goalscorer, and may end up doing a bit of 'a Swansea', scrapping together a few 1-0's in their survival bid.

I've hated Gary 'You Know' Neville ever since that day he celebrated Utd's last minute winning goal in front of the Liverpool fans at Old Trafford. Absolute disgrace. Terrible commentator too, IMO. When he started on Sky, I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but even though his analysis isn't too bad, his voice makes my ears bleed. Hopefully they'll see sense eventually.

Although I still find it hilarious that his father is called Neville Neville! :D

I think you misspelled "legend" there mate! :D

Seriously though, by having his club emblem sewn onto his beating heart and making rather in-your-face comments as a player, it is only natural that Liverpool fans (and many others) dislike him. That still haunts him now, but I think he is a pretty good commentator, probably the best of the bunch (which may not be saying much to be fair). Think it's great with some proper football analysis for once, insights from a pro player without the need to be 'controversial' to create headlines or interest. Breath of fresh air.

He does say "to be honest" a God-awful lot though.

Anyway, still reading this in between continues and non-FM activities.

Fair play to you - sopme outstanding transfer activity there. Also enabled you to have a budget for strengthening in January, if required.

All the best for the season :thup:

Cheers. I'll still have plenty of my budget to play with in January if I want too, but the club's losing over a £1m a month at the moment, so I'll only spend if I really have too. No point tipping us over the edge if there's no desperate need.

Some really good signing there, good luck for the season :thup:

Thanks, City.

Excellent finish to the season. Good luck in the Championship.

Edit: I should probably check the last page too. Ho-hum :D

I do that all the time! Thankfully, that's what the 'edit post' button is for :D

I think you misspelled "legend" there mate! :D

Seriously though, by having his club emblem sewn onto his beating heart and making rather in-your-face comments as a player, it is only natural that Liverpool fans (and many others) dislike him. That still haunts him now, but I think he is a pretty good commentator, probably the best of the bunch (which may not be saying much to be fair). Think it's great with some proper football analysis for once, insights from a pro player without the need to be 'controversial' to create headlines or interest. Breath of fresh air.

He does say "to be honest" a God-awful lot though.

Anyway, still reading this in between continues and non-FM activities.

'You know', my heart did sink somewhat when I heard his voice on the Chelsea match tonight. Ah well, I suppose I can live with it, or always turn over to the Arsenal match ;)

Well done on getting Hull promoted and good luck with the Fulham job

Thanks, B.W.G., we've started well.

Should've stayed at Hull, now they will beat you every time you play them. :D

It's ok, there's no hoodoo; we beat them 1-0 at the KC :cool:

Fulham F.C.

654.png

Mid-Season Update 2018/19

Barclays Premier League: 3rd

Fixtures

BarclaysPremierLeagueOverview_Stages-1.png

Yes, you've read it right, we really are in third place at the halfway stage. We've certainly ridden our luck every now and again, and the 5-0 home defeat to Liverpool left a lot to be desired, but I couldn't be more pleased about how we've started our campaign. There's been some plucky displays along the way too, none more so than the fantastic 3-2 win at the Etihad Stadium, which really caught the eye, and shows we are team not to be trifled with. Our starlet so far has to be the young striker, John Itubu, who's banged in 17 goals already. I'm sure Man Utd are now having second thoughts about releasing him on a free transfer last summer!

I'd be amazed if we finish in the top three at the end of the season, but realistically, we've got to be looking at a top six finish as a very achievable aim. We've already equalled the points tally the club posted for the whole of last season too!

In addition to our encouraging league performances, we're doing well in the Carling Cup, and have reached the semi-final, where we will face Stoke in the New Year. We've definitely got a good chance of getting our hands on the trophy too; Chelsea and Blackpool are in the other semi-final, so I would be expecting an all-London final if we got through to Wembley.

Other News

Hull are just about clinging on to the pack above them, and are performing ever so slightly better than I expected. Whether they'll stay up, I'm not sure, they could really do with scoring a few more goals. However... at least they're not doing as bad as Watford, who only have three points courtesy of their only positive result, a 2-0 home win to Aston Villa.

Christmas does make me laugh...

It's the only time of the year when it's ok to let your child sit on a strange man's lap while he's dressed in a fancy dress outfit. You do this any other time of the year, it gets called 'grooming', the child will need therapy for the next forty years, and the strange man will have to sign a 'register' :D

Cheers for the comments btw. I've been a very good boy this year, so deserve a very big present ;)

Egypt

16.png

World Ranking: 29th

2017/18 Cup of Nations Qualifying Campaign

Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2

AfricaCupofNationsQualifiersOverview_Stages-1.png

Surprising, the qualifying campaign went without a hitch, only dropping points in the opening game away to Uganda. Sierra Leone went into the campaign with the highest world ranking out of the four nations in our group, so I was pleased that we managed to beat them both home and away, which ultimately, secured our position as group winners. Another big plus was the fact we went the whole calendar year of 2018 without conceding a goal, and breaking the national record for the amount of games without conceding.

Key Players

Mohamed Kamel | Wael Amer

These two have been absolutely crucial, both with excellent scoring records for their nation. If we can keep them firing, we'll probably do well in the forthcoming competition.

Team of the Year 2017 | Team of the Year 2018 | Overall Best XI

2019 Cup of Nations Draw

OrangeAfricaCupofNationsOverview_Stages-1.png

A fairly tough group, but at least we avoided the big guns of Cameroon, Nigeria and South Africa, all of which are in the Top 10 of the World Rankings. Realistically, we could get to the quarter-finals, which we are certainly capable of doing, but we'll need to take our good form from 2018 into the New Year.

Looking good on both the domestic and international front :thup:. Good to see Forest back in the Prem...Watford have to get more than 11 points, please! We can't have Watford taking the prize of the worst team in Premiership history! ;)

It is a tough group but it could have been worse. Then again, Algeria vs Egypt, everything goes out of the window.

Haha yeah, good point. Remember the last WC Qualifying Playoff IRL? All hell broke loose.

AK22 - whatever happens, do not, under any circumstances, lose to Algeria. If you do, hire some security guards for your own safety. :D

Haha yeah, good point. Remember the last WC Qualifying Playoff IRL? All hell broke loose.

AK22 - whatever happens, do not, under any circumstances, lose to Algeria. If you do, hire some security guards for your own safety. :D

The playoff due to the EXACT same record? Oh yeah! :D

Archived