From Young Men to World Beaters

dafuge

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bourneview Young Men - Championship One - 2013/14

After destroying the third tier of Northern Irish football, it was time for my squad to step up a level. With the nature of our win last season, I was hoping for more of the same.

League Table

League Positions Graph

It was a repeat of last season, we were just too good for them. Bit annoying to lose the one game though.

Mid-Ulster Cup - I really wasn't interested in this competition, but despite rotating the team we found ourselves winning it again.

Intermediate Cup - another meaningless competition, but it brought a shock.

Irish League Cup - I wanted to do well in this one, but suffered another shock defeat.

Irish Cup - the draw against Cliftonville set us on our way to a fantastic cup run, which ended in a fairly simple final. This win means we will be in the Europa League next season.

Squad - an early injury crisis meant I had to go out and sign more players and I've ended up with a superb squad.

Transfers - an influx of Brazilians and Eastern Europeans made a huge difference to my squad, along with a couple of great English players.

Finances - the finances are awful, but with European football not far away we have a chance to sort it out.

Key Player Profiles:

Paul Muir - another great season from the striker.

Reginaldo - a great first season from the new striker.

Darjan Mevlja - he's starting to get left behind, but he's still doing well.

Theophilus Ekoku - Westo suffered a bad injury, so he was brought in.

Liam Gormley - plenty of assists from the winger.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13   Championship Two         1st         League, Mid-Ulster and Intermediate Cup winners
2013/14   Championship One         1st         League, Mid-Ulster and Irish Cup winners

Next Season

This was another stupidly easy season, I'm wondering if the Premiership will provide some better competition? Hopefully the Europa league will give us a good test and bring us back down to earth, we are a bunch of part timers after all.

One big concern I have is that I cannot afford to renew the contracts of the players I have, I'm a victim of my own success. Unfortunately this might mean the squad will need rebuilding almost completely next year.

Amazing first season there daf :D

Just out of interest, when signing your players, do you go by the assistants reports on the level they could play at, or do you just look at the attributes of the players?

I always go by the scout/coach reports, I barely look at the attributes unless I've got a choice between two or more players.

Great work daf. I dare say you won't be challenged at all except in Europe.

Are you still following your old approach of getting scout reports for all players that pop up in your player search screen? How many scouts do you have and how long is it taking to return all the results?

KUTGW

Great work daf. I dare say you won't be challenged at all except in Europe.

Are you still following your old approach of getting scout reports for all players that pop up in your player search screen? How many scouts do you have and how long is it taking to return all the results?

KUTGW

I only have a handful of scouts, so I'm focusing them on getting reports on unattached under 21 players in the UK & Ireland. For the players outside of the UK/Ireland I tend to offer trials to the ones my assistant thinks are unrealistic signings.

Makes sense! Still working on the premise of finding players with (at least) 2.5 stars CA and (at least) 4.5 stars PA?

The only issue I've found with your approach is that it can take a while to find quality players. In the meantime, my team can be suffering in the league which is why I tend to rely upon the players recommended by my Ass man, by backroom staff and the players the scouts actually find themselves. Do you have a method you use to get players in quickly, just to get a base layer of quality whilst you gather scout reports on all your other potential targets?

Makes sense! Still working on the premise of finding players with (at least) 2.5 stars CA and (at least) 4.5 stars PA?

The only issue I've found with your approach is that it can take a while to find quality players. In the meantime, my team can be suffering in the league which is why I tend to rely upon the players recommended by my Ass man, by backroom staff and the players the scouts actually find themselves. Do you have a method you use to get players in quickly, just to get a base layer of quality whilst you gather scout reports on all your other potential targets?

The stars really change depending on the club I'm managing, a lot of the players I've signed were 5/5 on the scout reports, but a bit lower than that once they were at the club.

I use the trials to get players in quickly, then slowly replace them with better players found by my scouts. This might explain why my team was full of foreigners at the start but slowly became more british towards the end of the season.

That's interesting. How were you finding the trial players then? By attribute search?

I can't see most of the attributes as they are masked. Just filtering for non UK/Ireland unattached under 21s that my assistant thinks are realistic targets brings up a small list, filtering to a single position usually just gives me a handful of players to offer trials to.

Europa League 2nd Qualifying Round Leg 1: Hajduk vs Bourneview

Hajduk did to us what we had been doing to the teams in our league, they bossed us and barely let us out of our half. We were lucky to keep the scoreline down and even managed to find the net ourselves, but there's no way we are going though to the next round!

The second leg will be hosted in our 550 capacity stadium, and the TV cameras are coming :cool:

Unlucky there dafuge, at least you scored against them :D

I gave the trialist idea a go, and I didn't really get too much from it, a decent striker aside, so I went back to my scouts, who found me some NI premier league ability players. :)

I'm wondering if the Premiership will provide some better competition?

Wow,close call there dafuge,only 23 pts ahead. :)

Maybe the competition will be a bit harder but I predict you will walk the league your 2nd season in the prem and never look back.

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2014/15

After dominating the lower leagues we had a chance to test ourselves against Northern Ireland's best. We also had a chance to play in Europe.

League Table

League Positions Graph

We didn't start too well, but with a few new signings we found ourselves climbing the table. Even with the league split playing into our favour, we couldn't catch runaway winners Cliftonville.

Mid-Ulster Cup - our reserves suffered a shock defeat.

Irish League Cup - we were going well but suffered an unlucky defeat.

Irish Cup - we made the most of an easy route to the final, then blitzed that.

Setanta Cup - the prize money for this was big, so I was really hoping for a decent performance. Despite winning 2-1 at home, we threw it away in the second leg.

UEFA Europa League - it was brief as we lost at home and away in our first tie.

Squad - I'm still looking to improve it, but this lot are easily capable of success.

Transfers - I went into the season with the same squad and quickly realised that it wasn't good enough. Three new strikers were brought in, which made a huge difference.

Finances - still not great, but I've improved since last season.

Key Player Profiles:

Martin Zelenka - he was the man brought in to bring us goals, he did just that.

Eriks Punculs - another new striker that was brought in.

Matija Cakarun - he was brought in as a striker, but did well in the AMC role.

Ian Woodford - the star winger.

Gheorghe Luca - another great winger.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13   Championship Two         1st         League, Mid-Ulster and Intermediate Cup winners
2013/14   Championship One         1st         League, Mid-Ulster and Irish Cup winners
2014/15   Carling Premiership      2nd         Irish Cup winners

Next Season

This season proved that we are capable of keeping up with the big teams in Northern Ireland. Next season I think the title is a realistic aim.

daf, your screenshots says you lost in the Semi-Final of the Irish Cup but yet got to the final and won? Is it just me that's got confused by this?

Edit: Your Irish Cup link is linked to the Irish League cup and your League Cup is linked to the Mid-Ulster Cup... Someone has had a few to many too drink!

daf, your screenshots says you lost in the Semi-Final of the Irish Cup but yet got to the final and won? Is it just me that's got confused by this?

Edit: Your Irish Cup link is linked to the Irish League cup and your League Cup is linked to the Mid-Ulster Cup... Someone has had a few to many too drink!

The links should be sorted now :thup:

Are you slightly concerned at how easy it's been to establish yourselves as a top NI club? By which I mean the sheer length of the task in elevating the stature of your club and league to the point where you can challenge in Europe.

Are you slightly concerned at how easy it's been to establish yourselves as a top NI club? By which I mean the sheer length of the task in elevating the stature of your club and league to the point where you can challenge in Europe.

Getting to the top in Northern Ireland has been easy for one huge reason, it is rubbish. Getting my club (and possibly the league) to a point to be able to challenge in Europe is the real challenge here, I'm expecting that to take quite a while. I'm hoping to be able to complete enough seasons to make that possible, although I realise that it may well be quite frustrating.

Great progress here - looks like Zelenka really did the business for you. How do you rate your chances of going one step better this season?

I think it depends if Cliftonville (or anyone else) make big improvements. They finished 8th the previous season, so it was odd that they won the league so easily.

I think we should be able to do it if we get off to a good start.

Europa League 2nd Qualifying Round Leg 2: Bursaspor vs Bourneview

Things were going well as we held Bursaspor off, then we scored. At 3-0 up it looked like we were through but Bursaspor came out a different team in the second half. They battered us for 45 minutes but couldn't find enough goals as we sneaked through on away goals. This means we become a seeded team for the next round where we meet Midtjylland of Denmark.

Amazing result. Maybe your season summaries should also include UEFA Country coefficients screen. When are you going to activate other leagues (especially those ranked near NI)?

Amazing result. Maybe your season summaries should also include UEFA Country coefficients screen. When are you going to activate other leagues (especially those ranked near NI)?

I was considering that, but the reputations are updated quite a while after I write my updates. Perhaps I could add them as a separate post?

Here's where we are now:

Northern Ireland - 74th in FIFA rankings

Northern Ireland - 46th in UEFA coefficients

Carling Premiership - 180th in European competitions (1 star)

Bourneview - 491st in UEFA coefficients

I'm not sure about activating other leagues, I've got a fairly big database so the teams I'm playing all have real players. Perhaps I'll look into it if I notice problems with the reputations.

Archived