dafuge's FM12 challenge

Well, my first proper month with Hastings United is gone, and gone quite well. Surprisingly, my defense has gelled quite well, even with my backup keeper between the sticks (my primary keeper, one of my new signings, was injured for 5-6 weeks in the final preseason game, leaving me with only my backup---an original to the team, to man the goal). 3 wins and a draw see me in second---the final win of the month being a 4-0 thumping of Sutton United. Other than my suddenly solid defence, the other surprise is my 16yo striker (another original come up with the team from the lower divisions). In 4 games, he's nabbed 3 goals and added 3 assists, 2 each in that 4-0 game vs Sutton.

Still early days yet, however, and a long ways to go....but at least there are plenty of positives so far.

1st month matches

16yo Striker

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 'enjoying' a bit of an inconsistent second season in the BSS with Chippenham, the injuries seem to be piling up at the most annoying times.

However, I'm having a bit of a run in the FA Cup that has just seen us reach the 2nd round after this result over L2 Walsall. We've also scored another 14 goals in our other 3 games so far, all against non-league teams, so it's been a pretty good run!. A home tie against either Woking or Eastbourne Borough awaits us in the next round, both recently promoted from the BSS so could be interesting.

Damn, apparently one of my players had a 50% promotion wage rise. He is now at £625 p/w! That quite a bit of my budget (£4k p/w). Think I need to offload him asap!

FC_United.jpg

FC United - Blue Square North - 2012/2013

Final League Table

FA Trophy

I last till the 3rd round, wasnt overly bothered about the cup, but the extra 10k it brought in wasnt too bad. Better than a punch in the face.

FA Trophy Fixtures

FA Cup

Short and sweet was the name of the game here. Out in the 2nd Round Qualifier :) Would of enjoyed the FA Cup, money again would of helped greatly!

FA Cup fixture.... :p

Squad.

At the beginning of the season i bought anyone that looked good and had a good work rate. I knew my team would have to work hard. Eventually in Jan & Feb we strung a few good results together to pull ourselves up into a strong play off position.

Key Players

Liam Murray - Brilliant defender. I would of picked Tank or Hecker, but they had only been in the team half the season. This guy was rock solid, and held it together. Brilliant partnership with tank near the end.

Dean Bouzanis - Definately my star player. Outstanding goalie, shame about the defence for the majority of the season giving away opportunities to the opposition. Once we had a good tactic and mentality, he really excelled. Kept us in the game plenty of times and saved a couple of penalties along the way.

Matty Wolfenden - Great player, one of the few to survive the cull at the start of the season. Came off the bench a few times and scored many vital goals. Good partnership upfront with the loaned strikers. Lets see how he manages the BSP.

Transfers.

Many of them took place. I need to sharpen my eye for better talent and ensure the players i find are suitable.

In & Out

Board Confidence.

i've signed a new 1yr contract till june 2014, which should ensure I can stabilise the team, improve the staff situation and hopefully provide a good backbone to get promotion the following year. Im expecting a tough initial season in the BSP, and leading onto a stronger 2nd season.

Manager Profile

League Position, and a Fan vote :)

Finances.

Are doing OK, thankfully not in the red, but my wages pw were about 2k below my allocated allowance.

Oh and the result of my team meeting I held a few days prior to the Play off semi finals....

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!

Career Overview

[font=monospace]Season         Division          Position     Achievements[/font] 
-----------------------------------------------------------------  
2012/2013   Blue Square North       4th       Promotion via Playoffs & a pishy cup run

Next Season

Stabilise team, get the backbone of the team sorted.

Improve staff, training and tactics

Get ready for the final push in the 2014/2015 season

Attempt a cup run.

Remove deadwood.

woopee!!

Good start Hypnotic.

I also feel like sacrificing the cups in a way, but its a good financial plus if you stay in them.

Currently gone 9 games unbeaten since my first campaign defeat in the second match of the season. It's mostly because we concede poorly. Two 1v1s, two 2v2s and a goaless draw, four of which came one after the other. Games we could easily have taken if we didnt monumentally mess up at the back. Maybe it's time for a tweak in the defence.

@omgwtf... I love the " I guess I misjudged the situation" comment. I can just imagine how it would be said after all that.

Good start Hypnotic.

I also feel like sacrificing the cups in a way, but its a good financial plus if you stay in them.

Currently gone 9 games unbeaten since my first campaign defeat in the second match of the season. It's mostly because we concede poorly. Two 1v1s, two 2v2s and a goaless draw, four of which came one after the other. Games we could easily have taken if we didnt monumentally mess up at the back. Maybe it's time for a tweak in the defence.

@omgwtf... I love the " I guess I misjudged the situation" comment. I can just imagine how it would be said after all that.

Sounds like your doing well! have you got a solid backline? and a good tactic/mentality set up?

Yeah, im a bit hesitant to do another team meeting. My heart dropped due to the importance of the matches coming up.

Good start Hypnotic.

Thanks, well winning the cup is not possible, but it would be good to get the third round!

How do you use your match preparation? What kind of changes do you make when you take the lead in a game?

right need some help...im bedford and ive played 4 league games: lost 2 drawn 2, i keep conceding goals in the last 10/15 minutes of all my games any suggestions on how to perhaps keep my defence tight for the last minutes of the game because it would really help ! :)

Sounds like your doing well! have you got a solid backline? and a good tactic/mentality set up?

Yeah, im a bit hesitant to do another team meeting. My heart dropped due to the importance of the matches coming up.

To be fair, my scouts rate my backline well but we do rank lowest in terms of tackling and heading in defence out of the league which is clearly, i think, where our problem lies. I am looking into getting a big tall strong centre back though. Asides from that, tactically we play 4-1-3-2. Our anchor man protects us well and going forward we are fairly strong. Like I say, I think once I've got a stronger and taller CB I might be able to cope with the oncoming attacks a little better.

Also, @Hypnotic, I tend not to make any real changes to how we are playing when we take the lead. If we have been playing well to take the lead, why change it when things are working? is what I tend to say as when I change things, it normally ends badly. As for match prep, I tend to lead it towards my defending at the moment, but depending on the oppositions strengthes/weaknesses will normally make me decide where to adjust it.

To be fair, my scouts rate my backline well but we do rank lowest in terms of tackling and heading in defence out of the league which is clearly, i think, where our problem lies. I am looking into getting a big tall strong centre back though. Asides from that, tactically we play 4-1-3-2. Our anchor man protects us well and going forward we are fairly strong. Like I say, I think once I've got a stronger and taller CB I might be able to cope with the oncoming attacks a little better.

Also, @Hypnotic, I tend not to make any real changes to how we are playing when we take the lead. If we have been playing well to take the lead, why change it when things are working? is what I tend to say as when I change things, it normally ends badly. As for match prep, I tend to lead it towards my defending at the moment, but depending on the oppositions strengthes/weaknesses will normally make me decide where to adjust it.

So in your match preparations, do have 3 variations of the same formation, or do you have 3 different formations? If 3 variatons of same formation, then how do they vary exactly?

I do often change it if we take the lead, depending on the situation, after all, a goal is a game changer. but i can see how it might backfire, i guess it depends what your changing.

Ans Sam97

In Bedford, you need a grand new team. Nobody on the starting-team can do anything. Im Bedford too, and tried to keep the most of the team i had fro the beginning. I only survived with 4 point on 19th place, and recieved 78 goals. So my device is to get a new keeper, and almost a new defence, only a few of the from the start-team is usefull, including Blackwood, who is fine. The midfield is average, but nothing special, and the forwards is just bad, and are waisting, a lot of 100% chances. So let your agent find some substitutes, for almost every position.

-jskovc

Ans Sam97

In Bedford, you need a grand new team. Nobody on the starting-team can do anything. Im Bedford too, and tried to keep the most of the team i had fro the beginning. I only survived with 4 point on 19th place, and recieved 78 goals. So my device is to get a new keeper, and almost a new defence, only a few of the from the start-team is usefull, including Blackwood, who is fine. The midfield is average, but nothing special, and the forwards is just bad, and are waisting, a lot of 100% chances. So let your agent find some substitutes, for almost every position.

-jskovc

Ok thanks alot i didnt really sign anyone soo will look into it in january i'm now 8 games in and only 5 points :( it's worrying how bad the team is :D

Oxford City - 2012-13 Season - Midseason Update

Well it's been a bit of an up and down start to my career, although we've been putting together a few nice little runs of late which has left us sitting nicely in 5th place in the table. We've shipped a few goals but at the other end we have been managing to stick the ball in the onion bag pretty regularly, which - judging by some of the struggles people are having in here in that department - is no mean feat!

My top scorer is actually a player who was already at the club when I took over - Paul Kenny. His haul of 17 goals in 25 games is impressive enough, but considering he has played the majority of his matches out on the right wing, that is just damn impressive!

Impressive performances have also come from young winger Liam Wilkinson and one of my most recent acquisitions Archie Love. The Loverman has got off to a flying start for me, with 4 goals in his first 5 games - including possibly the greatest hattrick of all time...

[video=youtube;cSNGtRTEyLE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSNGtRTEyLE

Finally on the player front, my scouts really hit the jackpot when scouting the Irish lower leagues. One amateur side in particular, Gweedore United, had some tasty youngsters stashed away in their u19 ranks - I managed to nab two of them before my wage budget was maxed out :D.

Of the five Irishmen I managed to pick up, Adam O'Neill is probably the most impressive, whilst 16-year old man (boy?) mountain Michael O'Sullivan is one for the future. I really hope he grows some more!

Here's my Transfers page - just a few players in haha. Notice also I signed a few players early and then sold/released them to free up some wages for better players. The bank aren't going to like me, but it's paying off on the pitch!

I'm hoping I can stick around the top half of the table ready for an all out assault on the playoffs next season!

So in your match preparations, do have 3 variations of the same formation, or do you have 3 different formations? If 3 variatons of same formation, then how do they vary exactly?

I have different formations - ones that are easily changable mid-way through a game. So 4-1-3-2, 4-3-1-2, 4-4-1-1. So essentially they don't differ much because I don't like to change much unless for example I feel we need to be more aggressive and attacking, in which I switch to my second formation. I porbably don't utilise the function to its full potential yet.

Finally started my league campaign with Hastings United.

Started with a decent 2-2 draw at home to one of the favourites for promotion, Welling United, but could have been so much better, as we were 2-0 up and half time, and the victory was snatched away in injury time, as my dodgy keeper made a hash of a cross come shot, and managed to claw it into his own net.

This was followed by another 3 draws, after which I grabbed my opening victory away to Farnborough.

My first defeat followed straight after though, as I managed to lose 2-1 at home to arch rivals Eastbourne Borough.

Sitting in around 16th spot and injuries are beginning to pile up.

Could be a long season.

Will post a further update, with screenshots, when I get to the new year.

Worksop_Town_FC_Badge.png

Worksop Town | Season 2013/14 | Blue Square North

Table | Positions Graph | Squad | Finances | Transfers1 | Transfers2

The ultimate up-and-down season, this. At first, it looked like we were in for another relegation scrap when we lost the first four game in a row, then five wins in six put us back on track. An 11-game unbeaten run in mid-season had me one point off the playoffs, and I was getting quite excited. Then disaster struck. My new signing Mukendi, of whom more below, got injured. In the same game, his strike partner, Fitchett (ditto), also got injured. It was to be the end of both their seasons. From that game, we lost 5 of the last 8, winning just one. We ended up mid-table.

It was disappointing. Financially, though, things improved. My wage bill was tiny at the start of the season as I released too many players. I panic-bought at the start of the season (and with some success), so we didnt quite get back into the black, but it was progress nonetheless. I plan to do the same next season, and keep only the best of this year. All-in-all, it was certainly a good year, although it promised so much more. If Mukendi hadnt got injured, who knows what might have happened? Even automatic promotion looked possible.

In the FA Cup, I had a good run to the first round, beating Lincoln Utd, Frickley and Alfreton after a replay, but Alfreton were my conquerors in the 2nd round of the FA Trophy after victories against Goole and Histon (again after a replay).

Surprisingly, I was awarded with the Manager of the Season award. Things are looking up for next season, particularly with the summer arrival of Adorjan on a free transfer.

The end of season report described us as "overachievers". Also, I'm not in the bottom three of the league in terms of reputation any more either.

Key Players

Vinny Mukendi - His stats don't tell the full story. He had a bit of a slump later in the season but started like a house on fire. Next season he should be good...

Dan Fitchett* - Looks a bit average, but chipped in with a lot of goals.

Jamie Tank - Another good season, cut short a bit by injury.

Jamie McCormack - Anyone else ever had a CB pairing with the same first name? McCormack was even better, with masses of key tackles and saved our bacon in many games.

Matthias Fanimo - A bit up and down but was our best player for much of the season. When he played well, we won.

Christian Nanetti - Worked harder than anyone else all season and deserves mention. At 21, he can only improve.

(*= fans' player of the year)

Again, most of the rest (although not quite as many as last year) will probably be released over the summer in a major clearout to make space for a raid on released EPL players.

Season      Division	         Position     Points     Achievments

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[url=http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279812-dafuge-s-FM12-challenge?p=7208914&viewfull=1#post7208914]2012/13[/url]	    Blue Square North      17th	        45       Avoided relegation
2013/14	    Blue Square North      11th	        58       Mid-table finish, FA Cup 1st Round, BSN Manager of the Year.

Quick question, wouldn't mind an answer.

I've been at a football match tonight, I'm pretty tired. I have a (meaningless) lecture at 10:20 tomorrow. Do I have a blast on FM now? Or be good and go to bed... I'm halfway through Season 1, feel like I should crack on.

New record highest scoring games for BSP and us.

To be 4-1 in 38 mins I was shocked as we were doing quite well didn't change anything and left it late getting the winner. Think I tighted things up in pre-season with slight tactic change and now playing a ball winner in mid and it was just one of them game or we are still far too open can't decide atm so will see after a few more games but to allow them so many CCCs is not acceptable.

I've been at a football match tonight, I'm pretty tired. I have a (meaningless) lecture at 10:20 tomorrow. Do I have a blast on FM now? Or be good and go to bed... I'm halfway through Season 1, feel like I should crack on.

If tired I would go to bed.

I've got to get up at 8 tommorow but decide to jump on but got to know when to stop as I usually get addicted and it one more then another one. I'm not tired which is my only problem as no point sleeping just for a few hours and don't know if I could survive an all nighter.

Hmmm who needs lectures????

Out of interest, how is everyone else finding their new signings?.

Personally, I scout any players reccomended to me by my staff, and trawl the list of players scouted by my scouts to find anyone suitable.

Those of interest I generally give a trial to and try them out in friendlies or reserve fixtures, unless I'm really desperate for cover, and then I may be persuaded to take a punt w/o trialing.

Anyone else doing it like this, or are others going about it in a different way?

Pretty much the same. I go through all of the European International teams (mainly U21's/U19's) for players willing to discuss a contract, and offer them a trial. Signed 2 fantastic Danish newgens this way. Although one did his cruciate ligaments in after 4 games.

Personally, I scout any players reccomended to me by my staff, and trawl the list of players scouted by my scouts to find anyone suitable.

Those of interest I generally give a trial to and try them out in friendlies or reserve fixtures, unless I'm really desperate for cover, and then I may be persuaded to take a punt w/o trialing.

Anyone else doing it like this, or are others going about it in a different way?

I check released players from Prem/Championship sides(Go through sides/add last club tab to player search) and scout them my staff recommendations has been pretty useless tbh and scouts only seem to find 15/16 BSS/BSN players not good enough and no real potential. The uninterested filter blocks many decent players who would join me. Also check International teams and their youth sides and trial as can't scout. Found a few decent ones but no luck with work permits.

I am probably THE HAPPIEST MAN on the Planet right now :) :)

Promotion With Bury Town.

Going to be soo tired for work tomorrow but was sooooooooooo worth it. BSN Playoff Final was immense.

WIll do a nice full update tomorrow :)

THAT WAS INTENSE :)

Going to be soo tired for work tomorrow but was sooooooooooo worth it. BSN Playoff Final was immense.

Congratulations, well done.

I have different formations - ones that are easily changable mid-way through a game. So 4-1-3-2, 4-3-1-2, 4-4-1-1. So essentially they don't differ much because I don't like to change much unless for example I feel we need to be more aggressive and attacking, in which I switch to my second formation. I porbably don't utilise the function to its full potential yet.

Hi, Well I don't think there is just one right way to do it, but in my experience in 2011, I found that using three different formations, didnt work for me, i ended up going with the same formation, but with different settings, so one was defensive, one was more attacking and the other was counter attack.

In a three way tie for first somehow late into second season, going to be a nail bitter, I think I am going to have to finish the season tonight....

Also if anyone has not noticed, the boards are much more open to request, very good change this year.

That's what I usually do. Sometimes the coaches recommend good players in their advice, like the keeper and DC I recently signed.

One of my scouts have highlighted a few Irish youngsters with potential. I've only signed one of them, a right winger, and after a single reserve match he got iinto my starting 11. He took a great corner on his debut and eclipsed that with a goal and 2 more assists in his second match (one assist was from a corner and the other from a loose ball that came back to him from his corner)

Well done mate! Play off finals are nerve wracking experiences! :p

Ans Sam97

-jskovc

Ok thanks alot i didnt really sign anyone soo will look into it in january i'm now 8 games in and only 5 points :( it's worrying how bad the team is :D

yeah, i've found Bedford's original team suck balls.

I'm really struggling to score goals, but I have the 3rd best defence in the league.

17 games in, unbeaten at home, only 1 win away... very much midtable

Finally!

After hours of reloading I've finally managed to get a team with less than 1000 rep. The chosen team is:

Chippenham.jpg

Manager profile

I've actually already played most of the first season, but been too exited and preoccupied with the game to post before now.

A full season review will be posted shortly after I finish the season.

Goodbye life, hello Dafuges's FM12 challenge:D

Archived